Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Major Problem

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
I have probably spent 1,000 dollars trying to get Triple or Quad Life Critical. Every single person that has the stats it never copies no matter how many times I hatch with them. I have over 7 pages of pets ontop of all the pets inside my house which is like another 10 pages. I believe it is quite sickening that I have spent so much money and still have not even got (One) out of thousands of pets. I understand it is random but 1,000 dollars definately should have gotten me it by now!

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Oh. Oh no.... 1000 dollars? That's steep..

I would encourage you to stop spending money on mega snack packs? That's the only way I think you could have spent that much money. Mega snacks come from a variety of plants. The most popular being Couch Potatoes and Evil Magma Peas which can be farmed. Or did you buy those as well?

What do your pets usually fail with? I would suggest having one dedicated hatching partner with a clean pool.

But seriously. what did you spend a 1000 dollars on??

Mega snack packs?
Buying plants from the crown shop which give mega snacks?
countless elixirs to reset timers, refill energy etc?
All of the above??

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Wow!

Never heard of this before. $1000?! on hatching and raising pets?!

Hatching and forcing a pet to learn certain talents seems to be much harder than training pets in real life!
But not sure if you're aware but they're tips which master pet hatchers use in order to ensure their pets learn a particular talent. That said, that doesn't mean the pet still can't fail. It can. Why? because in most case, you'll need luck. Without it, then, you're unfortunately a testament to that.

About Mega Pack snacks. Don't buy these packs! Instead garden Evil Magma Peas, Couch Potatoes and even Deadly Helephant Ears! Works out to be way cheaper in the end. Gardening isn't only for reagents and gold you know o:

My goes out to you though. Can't imagine how it must feel to be having to be continuously disappointed in pets you'd had high hopes for.

I'd say try again, but that's what you've been doing.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Also, take advantage of the test realm when it comes around.

Train your pets there. You'll know if it's worth training in the Live Realm or not based on the talents it will learn. These same exact traits are transferred over to the Live Realm.

This is solely what I use to test realm for. Not to check out the new content. It's to train my pets so I know I won't be wasting time or cash in the live realm on potential failures!

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
So sorry about your experience :(

Hatching and raising pets is never easy and I wish Wiz would finally adopt a style of pet raising like what is over at Pirate101 where you can just leave your pet to train and return hours later to see the results without the brutal time grinding of actually training them yourselves. Time cost money too and I'm sure with that included, you're probably looking at $3000 investment.

What you can consider is just garden for these mega snacks. It's not entirely a very speedy process, but at least it helps in replenishing snacks that have been used.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Sorry that you spent money and countless hours with your pet. But it sounds like to me you don't fully understand what is required to make these specialty pets. You can't just hatch a couple of times with a random person that already has what you are looking for. That being said I can tell you for sure and your not going to like this but. Trash the pet your using and start over. Certain talents become infectious. We count on this to happen or we would never be able to make these pets in the first place. The pet your using has a talent you don't want already become that hence your wasting your time. Unless you can hatch that talent out which is extremely hard to do once it has become infectious.

That being said. Once you have a new pet. (One you never attempted to hatch with another person with yet) Find a person what has those talents again and hatch with them.

Then train the pet and If by adult and only adult one or more of those talents your looking for opens. Then hatch with that same person. Yes same person not an other person with similar talents that only messes up what we are trying to do.

The more you hatch with the same person the greater the chance on that talent becoming infectious.

If you notice a different talent opening up all the time then trash that pet completely and start over. The wrong talent has become infectious.

I can tell you for fact this will take you more than a dozen of hatches before you get the pet your after. I would advice you read up more about pet hatching in the pet forum area and ask questions.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
Mirajane7887 on Nov 20, 2017 wrote:
Oh. Oh no.... 1000 dollars? That's steep..

I would encourage you to stop spending money on mega snack packs? That's the only way I think you could have spent that much money. Mega snacks come from a variety of plants. The most popular being Couch Potatoes and Evil Magma Peas which can be farmed. Or did you buy those as well?

What do your pets usually fail with? I would suggest having one dedicated hatching partner with a clean pool.

But seriously. what did you spend a 1000 dollars on??

Mega snack packs?
Buying plants from the crown shop which give mega snacks?
countless elixirs to reset timers, refill energy etc?
All of the above??
All of the above you should see all the failed pets I have. I have two pets right now because I hatched with a quad pet that could potentially have 3 or 4 criticals but if they do not I am probably going to quit Wizard101. I have literally spent so much and have not achieved one decent pet.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
It sounds like if two pets of the same type are hatched together, the worst traits dominate. But the best traits are probably 'ultra rare' so just like real world genetics I guess that makes sense? Recessive trait and all?

Maybe try with a bland neutral pet of another type?

Since you're saying you have 17 pages of pets maybe that's what that implies, that you've tried it all. But just in case. Try one so bland that its traits won't dominate. Maybe?

I'd probably stop trying for one via hatch at this point and instead just buy some of that pet next time it goes on discount. You probably have a better chance of those traits that way. But I don't know.

Meanwhile you can sell unneeded pets at the pet shop in Wizard City and some other places.

Good luck.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Bob has given you excellent advice, especially if there's one bad talent you're trying to hatch out.

Find someone who has the talents you want and is willing to work with you for several hatches. Your ideal pet to contribute to these hatches should have strong stats, be trained only to adult, and have only talents you want passed on be expressed. Hatch this pet with that person 2-3 times.

Take each baby and train it to adult. STOP.

Look over the three and select the best combination of talents and stats. You will now be working with this pet. Hatch another couple of times and again, only train to adult. Hopefully you'll get one pet with two critical talents on it by adult. Now, take this pet and continue hatching with the same partner you've been working with.

If the partner can't keep going it's okay, because now you have a great selection of pets with all those talents you need mixed in. At this stage, you can self-hatch and now you're taking the babies to ancient.

A last word of advice to help you keep your sanity, is to relax a little and learn to embrace imperfection. While you're pursuing the perfect pet, it's okay to use a not-quite-there-yet pet. Sometimes the pets that weren't quite what we wanted end up being the ones that provide a breakthrough in hatching, or just end up being great to quest with.

For saving $$$ don't buy the mega snack packs! (Sorry, KI, but it's true. ) Plant Evil Magma Peas, Couch Potatoes, Deadly Helephant Ears, Sword Ferns, Frozen Flytraps, Prickly Bear Cactus, and Maelstrom Snap Dragons. All of them drop mega snacks at elder. The very best are EMPs and Couch Potatoes.

Sell off the lesser pet snacks and treasure cards for gold. If you're not into crafting, you can sell the reagents as well. Rest from hatching for a while and build up your gold and pet snacks. Forcing yourself to slow down and wait for in-game supplies to replenish will save you real money and reduce stress.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
There's a big difference between a "decent pet" and an exact set of talents with perfect stats. Decent should be pretty easy, and certainly shouldn't cost $1000. It needn't cost anything if you are patient. "Perfect" pets, like perfect anything aren't quick or easy, but are possible.

As others have said, get gardens going so that you have snacks and gold without spending real money, and take your time. Pet projects usually work best as a process of gradual improvement over generations, not a "Hail Mary" in one shot. Add a talent, up a stat, repeat at a comfortable pace. You can do it!