Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
I have a pet that says 56(0) than I have a pet that says 59(7) than a pet with 57(11) what do the stuff in the parentheses mean?

Delver
May 29, 2009
nutellaaa on Nov 15, 2017 wrote:
I have a pet that says 56(0) than I have a pet that says 59(7) than a pet with 57(11) what do the stuff in the parentheses mean?
The pet you have that is 56(0) means that your pet has a pedigree of 56 but hasn't been trained yet. The pet that is 59(7) means it's a Pedigree 59 and has been trained as is the 57(11). The little dots that are on the Talent & Derby Skills is reflected by the number in the (parenthesis) added up. If your pet got "Spritely" as a Talent then that would be worth 3 dots and it got "Super Hurry" as a Derby then that would be 4 dots.

You have to add 1 dot to each of the following
Common - 0 dots + 1=1 dot
Uncommon- 1 dot + 1=2 dots
Rare- 2 dots + 1=3 dots
Ultra-Rare- 3 dots + 1=4 dots
Epic- 4 dots + 1=5 dots

Add up ALL the dots in both Talent AND Derby and it will give you the number in the parenthesis.

~SM~

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
SorceressMiklai on Nov 16, 2017 wrote:
The pet you have that is 56(0) means that your pet has a pedigree of 56 but hasn't been trained yet. The pet that is 59(7) means it's a Pedigree 59 and has been trained as is the 57(11). The little dots that are on the Talent & Derby Skills is reflected by the number in the (parenthesis) added up. If your pet got "Spritely" as a Talent then that would be worth 3 dots and it got "Super Hurry" as a Derby then that would be 4 dots.

Rare- 2 dots + 1=3 dots
Epic- 4 dots + 1=5 dots

Add up ALL the dots in both Talent AND Derby and it will give you the number in the parenthesis.

~SM~
tl;dr

The first number basically means total talent points your pet has.
The second number in the parenthesis means total talent points trained so far.
The higher the first number, the rarer talents it has.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Adding to what's been said, ignore those numbers. Pedigree says nothing useful about the true quality of the pet or talents.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Prince of Shadows on Nov 17, 2017 wrote:
Adding to what's been said, ignore those numbers. Pedigree says nothing useful about the true quality of the pet or talents.
I disagree. It doesn't say everything about how useful a pet might be, but it's not nothing. There are some really nice talents on the 4 pip level. There are also very handy things on the 2 and 3 pip talent levels, but I might be concerned about a pet that had all zero pip talents in it's pool. You need to look closer at the pet, but ones with more of the high pip slots in it's pedigree might have more of the high pip talents you may be seeking. That said, I have some really handy pets I use often, that do quite nicely without huge pedigrees. It is possible the pedigree might be high because of pet racing talents, not good, if you are not a race fan. If you are trying for a racing pet, a high pedigree from only the fighting side might not work for you either.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Generally speaking, a pet with a pedigree below 50 is not going to have enough helpful talents to be of use. Generally speaking, pets with pedigrees above 50 or so will be of the most use.

That said, a pet could have a pedigree of 78 (I've got one, a hatching fail!) and the 4-dot talents are nothing but single cards that are of little use - Pierce, Disarm, Tower Shield, Crystalize, etc. - so the pet itself isn't as great as the pedigree number would suggest. The pedigree only tells us how many "epic" talents there are, but not how useful they are.

Most of the really great and highly specialized pets that I've seen have pedigrees that range between 55 & 72. Usually there's a mix of Epic and 'lesser' talents that combine to give that pet every advantage in the way its owner needs: multiple heals, damages, criticals, resists, etc.

Alia Misthaven

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Calamity Finch on Nov 17, 2017 wrote:
I disagree. It doesn't say everything about how useful a pet might be, but it's not nothing. There are some really nice talents on the 4 pip level. There are also very handy things on the 2 and 3 pip talent levels, but I might be concerned about a pet that had all zero pip talents in it's pool. You need to look closer at the pet, but ones with more of the high pip slots in it's pedigree might have more of the high pip talents you may be seeking. That said, I have some really handy pets I use often, that do quite nicely without huge pedigrees. It is possible the pedigree might be high because of pet racing talents, not good, if you are not a race fan. If you are trying for a racing pet, a high pedigree from only the fighting side might not work for you either.
The key there is "might be seeking". Generally players view a pet's success by how closely it matches their desired talents. Certainly a very low ped won't have many epics, nor a very high one many common, but there's not usually a correlation with a specific goal. Playable pets are most often mid-50s to low-70s ped, but that alone doesn't indicate a good pet. I stand by "ignore ped". Look at the specific talent pools. As you said, it matter that you have the right values in the right place, not an overall dot count.

Also, higher ped means higher hatching cost, so all else being equal, lower is actually an advantage. As long as the talents or abilities you want are expressed, having the others being all epic is no better than having them all common.

Delver
May 29, 2009
Here is a link to a page on our Petnome site that might help clarify the Pedigree and Rarity Points question for you:

Revised Pedigree Definition

Hopefully it helps you to understand your pets just a little bit better along with the other useful information the others have posted!

~SM~

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
SorceressMiklai on Nov 16, 2017 wrote:

Rare- 2 dots + 1=3 dots
Epic- 4 dots + 1=5 dots

~SM~
Where do I find the dots?

Delver
May 29, 2009
nutellaaa on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:
Where do I find the dots?
Did you read my second post where I provided the link explaining Pedigree & Rarity Points? If you click on the link the very first thing you'll see are pictures of the Rarity abilities (common, uncommon, rare, ultra-rare, epic). The "dots/pips/circles" are located to the right. There will be either no dots, 1 dot, 2 dots, 3 dots, or 4 dots.

There is also a link on that page in the very first sentence that you might want to familiarize yourself with to get a better basic understanding. I will post both here again for you. Hope they help you to understand a portion of your pet's makeup a little better.

Advanced Pet Tips: What do those Numbers Mean?

Revised Pedigree Definition

~SM~
Owner & Team Lead/Senior Editor
Petnome Project
Petnome Pirataes