Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best Pets?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Yesterday I had someone trash talk me over the fact that I had leveled my Forest Lord pet up to Ultra. His opinion and I didn't feed the Troll.

But it got me thinking. In your opinion what is the best pet for:

Power Pips?
Extra Health?
Damage?
Critical Rating?
MayCast?
Some other reason...

Now mind you this is asking for combat assistance. Pet Derby is a WHOLE other topic.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Trash talked over a pet? Really?

Well, I shouldn't even be too surprised knowing the direction it seems many of the wizards that play this game are headed.

About your pet talents though.

Let's rule out a couple of those talents you've there. You don't necessarily need a pet with:
Health Bounty - Provides Health
Pip O' Plenty - Provides Power Pip Chance
Mana Bounty - Provides Mana
You get the point..

The reason I suggest this is because there are far way better and much more useful talents that exists. Conveniently, you just happened to list a few:

• Damage - Most persons are creating or have created a few damage pets. In terms of life for example, the Bumble Bee Pet from the crown shop has talents such as Life Bringer (Life Damage), Critical Hitter (Increases Critical Rating) and Life Assailant (Increases Life Critical Rating).
  • Resistance - Pets such as the Sea Dragon provides the talent Spell Proof which adds to the general resistance of your wizard. Very helpful.

Generally, to get a good mixture of Maycast, damage and resistance talents, you'll have to pay a couple visits to the hatchery. It's not easy cultivating an ideal pet, but I can assure you that a great pet will indeed come through for you!

Post if you've anymore queries.

There's a reason why a pet is considered a part of your overall gear.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Area51Alien on Nov 15, 2017 wrote:
Yesterday I had someone trash talk me over the fact that I had leveled my Forest Lord pet up to Ultra. His opinion and I didn't feed the Troll.

Power Pips?
Extra Health?
Damage?
Critical Rating?
MayCast?
Some other reason...

Now mind you this is asking for combat assistance. Pet Derby is a WHOLE other topic.

Steven Ghoststalker
There's going to be 1001 different opinions on what the "best pet" looks like, but the only one that matters is yours.

If your Forest Lord is working for you, buffing the stats that YOU need, then it's fine. And going to Ultra was not a waste if you had a good Ultra jewel and used it wisely.

As a Life wizard, you may want to develop several pets to help you play different roles. For example, if you mostly play by yourself then you might like damage for the solo wizard; defense for the solo wizard; or healing for the solo. It's best to hatch a pet with talents that help you out when you're playing alone.

On the other hand, if you do a lot of group play, then you might want defense for a tanking role (shields, resists, critical block); group healing and support (healing buffs, may cast Unicorn, etc); or even a pet that has May Cast Pierce (remove one enemy shield) and May Cast Shatter (remove all enemy shields) to help the hitter get a clear shot.

Any one of these types of specialized pets would be the "best pet" for the situation you hatched it to fill, yet would not be too helpful in a different role. Your group support pet would completely fail in PVP - that doesn't make it a bad pet!

For a generally helpful pet, you may want a nice selection of talents: 1 damage, 1 resist, 1 heal, maybe 1 critical buff, maybe one other buff to fill in gaps in your gear (like accuracy or pips, which could free up a triangle socket on your athame). Usually, school pets mixed with a crown shop pet or dropped pet (like Sea Dragon or Sea Turtle) will get you a good, all-purpose pet.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you for the replies.

I'm still trying to get my Wizard through the story arc and maxed.

I honestly haven't been playing (continuously) long enough to have a well formed "strategy". How I've played has gotten me safely through half? of Avalon.

My Forest Lord helps in battle. My Forest Sprite is a good help when gardening.

I have yet to try any hatching.

Steven Ghoststalker

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Area51Alien on Nov 17, 2017 wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

I'm still trying to get my Wizard through the story arc and maxed.

I honestly haven't been playing (continuously) long enough to have a well formed "strategy". How I've played has gotten me safely through half? of Avalon.

My Forest Lord helps in battle. My Forest Sprite is a good help when gardening.

I have yet to try any hatching.

Steven Ghoststalker
You're fine.

I didn't start intensively pet hatching until I reached level 100 or so and kept smacking my head against the gold cap. There are only so many houses you can buy and decorate!

It was a desire to dump gold in a different way plus the unique and very helpful level 98 pet hybrids that finally lured me into hatching and the quest for the "perfect pet"....

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
I like to see how we can just chime in and assist each other when it comes on to queries like this :)

As stated above, an ideal pet serves many important roles.

But, since you haven't started hatching, then they're many guides that can assist you in providing you a more hands on approach to it. Plus, we all can share our experiences when it comes on to the grinding process of cultivating a perfect pet.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/guide-may-cast-pet-talents-wizard101/ - Maycast Talents.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/hatching101-pet-talents-stats/ - Hatching & Pet Talents.

Explorer
May 20, 2012
Area51Alien on Nov 15, 2017 wrote:

Power Pips?
Extra Health?
Damage?
Critical Rating?
MayCast?
Some other reason...

Steven Ghoststalker
My main pet has pain-giver+5%-spell proof+10%-maycast healing current-maycast unicorn- critical striker+23
This pet has helped me a lot and in my opinion is a good pet.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2016
A good pet also depends on the card it gives along with its pedigree.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2013
Hi, this is a bit late, but I have a similar question. I am a level 74 (almost 75) life wizard at the end of Zafaria and I'm looking for a new pet. The two main pets I use are an ancient Wild Sabertooth for blades and an epic Elegant Penguin for tower shields. However, I would really like a life pet with a may-cast healing talent. Can you help me? Thanks!