Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wondering about selfish traits

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2017
Something i have wondered about and would like input on. Cos i can't work it out.

If your pet gets a selfish trait, something that gives extra will, strength, intellect etc.

Does the trait itself get passed down to its descendant and does the new stats pass down as well?

Say your pet has, 200 agility and the selfish trait added onto it gives an additional 50. For the sake of the argument.
Your pet now has 250 agility.
Does that number itself get passed down to the next pet? Or does simply the capacity to get that trait get passed down?

Similar goes for the pet stat jewels. Which i can understand why people do that.
Is the affected pet with jewel able to pass down its stats or just the trait? Or is this a completely different thing than what is written above?

Any and all feedback welcome :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I heard traits can get passed down yes. So if you get a pet with bad ones you might want to wait and train another pet and hatch that instead.

That is what I heard.
I have not hatched and trained more than one generation so listen to others before you listen to me.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I too am wondering about these traits that has a symbol of a pig with a plus sign to boost Will, Power, Strength, Intellect, etc... . I notice there's more of that in the game. What's up with that? I think it's totally useless. It serves no purpose and does nothing for me in battle

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
PurpleSpikyOmellet... on Nov 5, 2017 wrote:
Something i have wondered about and would like input on. Cos i can't work it out.

If your pet gets a selfish trait, something that gives extra will, strength, intellect etc.

Does the trait itself get passed down to its descendant and does the new stats pass down as well?

Say your pet has, 200 agility and the selfish trait added onto it gives an additional 50. For the sake of the argument.
Your pet now has 250 agility.
Does that number itself get passed down to the next pet? Or does simply the capacity to get that trait get passed down?

Similar goes for the pet stat jewels. Which i can understand why people do that.
Is the affected pet with jewel able to pass down its stats or just the trait? Or is this a completely different thing than what is written above?

Any and all feedback welcome :)
Any talent or stat from a jewel will NOT be be inherited by offspring. It's basically a collar that the pet wears, not a genetic trait that can be passed down.

A 'selfish' talent that any pet is born with can be passed down, and it will have the same effect in babies as it had in parents. It doesn't multiply itself, however. For example, the talent "Canny" increases a pet's Will stat by 40. So a pet with a base stat of 200 Will that learns Canny, will increase its total Will to 240. If that pet has a baby, the baby can only inherit the base of 200 Will from that parent. It can also separately inherit the Canny talent.

The selfish talents are highly prized in pet derby, but generally avoided by regular wizards in PvE and PvP because they take up a space that could have given a more useful talent to the wizard.

Sometimes having *1* extra-powerful selfish talent is useful for increasing damage or resit stats to their absolute maximum, however. Getting +65 Strength or +65 Agility on a ward pet, for example, might increase their resists to 11% + 6%, for a total of 17% rather than the more typical 14%-15%. (Spell proof + Spell defy) Similarly, adding either +65 Strength or +65 Will talent can bring a pet's damage talents up to the highest possible level. You might see a pet with 10% + 7% school damage, instead of the more typical 9% + 6%. (School dealer + School giver)

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
I bought a Beastling Pet from the crown shop and am very disappointed. It wasn't in the Pet Wiki on Central yet. But it gave a Bladestorm Blade to all friends. I thought it would be a Balance pet. Found out it is Myth pet with only one epic talent for a 67 level pet. What? Yeah, that is what I thought too. First talent was mana bounty. Ultra rare? The next two were Thinkin Cap and Relentless talents. Both are Piggy, selfish talents. KI gives them a three dot Ultra-Rare ranking. So thinking cap is more valuable than Spell Defy might be? Can someone help me understand this? Or have I just wasted 5,000 Crowns on a lame pet?
I am so let down about this. Thanks, Michael

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Michael Nightgem on Nov 10, 2017 wrote:
I bought a Beastling Pet from the crown shop and am very disappointed. It wasn't in the Pet Wiki on Central yet. But it gave a Bladestorm Blade to all friends. I thought it would be a Balance pet. Found out it is Myth pet with only one epic talent for a 67 level pet. What? Yeah, that is what I thought too. First talent was mana bounty. Ultra rare? The next two were Thinkin Cap and Relentless talents. Both are Piggy, selfish talents. KI gives them a three dot Ultra-Rare ranking. So thinking cap is more valuable than Spell Defy might be? Can someone help me understand this? Or have I just wasted 5,000 Crowns on a lame pet?
I am so let down about this. Thanks, Michael
The number of dots are "supposed" to represent how many first-generation pets have a particular talent in their gene pool. A talent with four dots should have only a few pets with that talent; three dots might have ten pets with that talent; two dots are very common; one or no dots means the talent is all over the place.

That's what I was told.

May Cast Unicorn, for example, has four dots and only appears as a first generation talent on five pets. Pretty rare, considering how many different types of pets there are. Oh, but then there's Fairy Friend, a "common" talent with one dot that is only on three pets as a first gen talent. Three. So actually, it's ultra-rare even compared to the "epic" unicorn!

In other words, the dots sort of mean nothing.

As for the selfish talents that you did get, the three-dot ones ... they are the most powerful version that exist. If you are building a pet for one talent set (like some people these days want only resist talents, or only damage), then adding a super-strong relentless (+65 agility) to a pet that already has 260 agility, would bring it's agility to 325. All talents that rely on agility would get quite a boost. That includes damage, critical and resist.

Sorry your Beastly pet lived up to its name in terms of disappointment. Maybe, since it's got good blade cards, you can hatch some decent talents into it and then still get some use out of the purchase.

Good luck,
Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Freshta on Nov 11, 2017 wrote:
The number of dots are "supposed" to represent how many first-generation pets have a particular talent in their gene pool. A talent with four dots should have only a few pets with that talent; three dots might have ten pets with that talent; two dots are very common; one or no dots means the talent is all over the place.

That's what I was told.

May Cast Unicorn, for example, has four dots and only appears as a first generation talent on five pets. Pretty rare, considering how many different types of pets there are. Oh, but then there's Fairy Friend, a "common" talent with one dot that is only on three pets as a first gen talent. Three. So actually, it's ultra-rare even compared to the "epic" unicorn!

In other words, the dots sort of mean nothing.

As for the selfish talents that you did get, the three-dot ones ... they are the most powerful version that exist. If you are building a pet for one talent set (like some people these days want only resist talents, or only damage), then adding a super-strong relentless (+65 agility) to a pet that already has 260 agility, would bring it's agility to 325. All talents that rely on agility would get quite a boost. That includes damage, critical and resist.

Sorry your Beastly pet lived up to its name in terms of disappointment. Maybe, since it's got good blade cards, you can hatch some decent talents into it and then still get some use out of the purchase.

Good luck,
Alia Misthaven
Hi Alia,
Thanks for the response. In that same vein. Spell Proof gives 10% universal resist and is a four "dot" epic talent that 44 pets have in their pool. While Spell Defy gives 5% universal resist and is a two "dot" rare talent that only 22 pets have in their pool.

I don't pretend to understand the logic behind all this, but I still feel like I have been taken advantage of by KI. Don't get me wrong. I love the game and all the things in it. But a new pet that gives balance blades and is a Myth pet is kinda sorta not right. And last I saw, It's still not in the Wiki.

All the best,
Michael