Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rude people rant

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2017
I really do enjoy this game. It has been nothing like i've ever played before but unfortunately there seems to be people who just like to rub you the wrong way.

I'm up to Twin Giants at the moment and was enjoying a bit of soloing. Which is nice as means different strategy than when with a friend.

I was doing a fire boss with a storm minion, which is perfect for ice. Both covered under the same shield and have the highest amount of resist to both over the other schools.

A few days ago i made a friend with a higher up ice person who seemed to be quite nice. Helping people in the commons that needed it, happy to help for the sake of helping.
Unfortunately i found out he is not as nice as he likes to portray.

As i was in the battle, he jumped in with his other 100+ fire character, So two characters over 110 plus an ice friend of his. Stating it was because they were bored.
It's great to have help arrive when you ask for it but when it just forces its way in, it's neither fun or nice.
His fire would spam meteors which was pointless to a fire boss which meant i couldn't feint as they would be wasted.
I thanked him for the thought but claimed i didn't need help. He starts talking nasty, insults etc. Then states that i'm being disrespectful and providing him drama. Which is ironic to be honest.

I don't like being carried in fights, seems he does by one of his other characters, That's him, great but i should have at least have a choice in my own battles.

After some more insults, he finally leaves claiming "find another friend to help" umm i never asked for help in the first place lol.

Just sad that there are some very unpleasant people that act poorly if things don't go how they want.

I know it's not a huge deal, just annoys me and i wanted to vent.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
That sounds like an unfortunate situation, and not a graceful response by the other wizard. I've met many people whose idea of helping is blasting everything and leaving nothing to do for the people they are "helping". I've also seen the other way round when people ask for help, meaning, "Fight the fight for me so I can scoop up loot and level up quick without even trying." There are so many styles people like to play; when being helpful by blading, trapping, shielding, and healing, some people actually want and demand that youchange style and blast things for them instead. Others, are grateful that you are boosting them and letting them do hits. At least there is the option of turning off ports, or using hidden to friends, when you feel like some soloing. People who are insulting or disrespectful do not remain on my friend list, but that kind of thing is certainly unpleasant.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I love Calamity's tactful response. I agree with all of it.

Here are my thoughts.

"It's great to have help arrive when you ask for it but when it just forces its way in, it's neither fun or nice."

I agree. I have spent time with friends only to have them port in people I've never met. Sometimes those other people are great and sometimes they have been obnoxious and extremely bossy and rude. I feel if someone is with another person, ask that person first if they mind if friends drop by. Otherwise, turn port off, or say no if friends ask to join. They can wait their turn to spend time with that apparently popular person.

Other times I really felt the person was reaching out and asking people to join and drop in because they were bored and one person wasn't enough (for people who are extroverted and "the more the merrier" types.) It's fine everyone is different but have courtesy to the ones you are already there with.

I'd never intrude upon someone else's solace or free time by foisting unknown quantities upon them. 'nuf said

About battle styles...Really you have to make that preference known. I'm not saying you didn't.

I have answered countless team ups and I never know what they want. After all they are total strangers.

Sometimes I ask "would you rather hit and I shield you or would you rather I hit or...?" I get various responses to that. Some do not reply. Some say "whatever," some say they don't mind which, but it doesn't seem honest so I ask again "if you want the boss, or don't want me to hit, just say; I don't mind either way." Usually I find they don't want to talk about it, they just want the battle over with.

I recently had someone ask me "you got this, right?" I asked if they were concerned and they said no, "you can kill, right?" I wish they had just said they wanted to sit it out and I battle; which I don't care at all. Just say it. It was only a battle not a tower and not a big, cheating boss.

If you speak up and they ignore it, that's on them.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"I know it's not a huge deal, just annoys me and i wanted to vent."

It is a huge deal because your time and feelings are important too. Courtesy is a skill that is never wasted and which everyone can afford to gain expertise in.

AKA it couldn't hurt them to be kind and considerate even if it's "just a game," because it's people's real time and money along with it.

I wish there was a safe and valid way to help people because I would. The other main website for this game has a mercenary forum in which you can request specific types of help. Good luck.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I'm sorry that the battle didn't go as you'd hoped! :(

Just like in the real world, MMOs are filled with all different types of people. Some of them pleasant, some of them not so pleasant. Although you may run into some troubling types, just know that there are tons of others out there who are nice, supportive, and helpful. Dust those insults off your shoulders!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Oct 30, 2017 wrote:
"I know it's not a huge deal, just annoys me and i wanted to vent."

It is a huge deal because your time and feelings are important too. Courtesy is a skill that is never wasted and which everyone can afford to gain expertise in.

AKA it couldn't hurt them to be kind and considerate even if it's "just a game," because it's people's real time and money along with it.

I wish there was a safe and valid way to help people because I would. The other main website for this game has a mercenary forum in which you can request specific types of help. Good luck.
This is the second post today where you've mentioned the "other main website"

Forgive the question, what other main website?

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
May 09, 2017
Thanks for the replies :)

Haha I honestly wasn't expecting this post to be passed due to the nature of it.

I've been really sleep deprived lately so things that normally wouldn't annoy me. Do.

Just bummed me out that he had been portraying a false picture of himself. Don't like the dishonesty and was disappointing how ridiculous he was about it. Kinda amusing tbh how ridiculous it was.
Kinda killed my good mood vibes at the time.

The insults and such were just unexpected. But I don't worry about it. These days I more think about the psyche of the person's behaviour. To have such a short fuse that his unwanted and problematic "helping" didn't equal automatic praise.

And yes thankfully the lovely people of the awesome world of wizards far out weight any admittedly minor negative encounters.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Oct 31, 2017 wrote:
This is the second post today where you've mentioned the "other main website"

Forgive the question, what other main website?

Steven Ghoststalker
No problem.

I was not sure I was allowed to mention it. Admins you can delete this post if not.

Wizard 101 Central. A quick search on Wizard 101 mercenary forum would've revealed it.

Thanks for asking.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2014
PurpleSpikyOmellet... on Oct 28, 2017 wrote:
I really do enjoy this game. It has been nothing like i've ever played before but unfortunately there seems to be people who just like to rub you the wrong way.

I'm up to Twin Giants at the moment and was enjoying a bit of soloing. Which is nice as means different strategy than when with a friend.

I was doing a fire boss with a storm minion, which is perfect for ice. Both covered under the same shield and have the highest amount of resist to both over the other schools.

A few days ago i made a friend with a higher up ice person who seemed to be quite nice. Helping people in the commons that needed it, happy to help for the sake of helping.
Unfortunately i found out he is not as nice as he likes to portray.

As i was in the battle, he jumped in with his other 100+ fire character, So two characters over 110 plus an ice friend of his. Stating it was because they were bored.
It's great to have help arrive when you ask for it but when it just forces its way in, it's neither fun or nice.
His fire would spam meteors which was pointless to a fire boss which meant i couldn't feint as they would be wasted.
I thanked him for the thought but claimed i didn't need help. He starts talking nasty, insults etc. Then states that i'm being disrespectful and providing him drama. Which is ironic to be honest.

I don't like being carried in fights, seems he does by one of his other characters, That's him, great but i should have at least have a choice in my own battles.

After some more insults, he finally leaves claiming "find another friend to help" umm i never asked for help in the first place lol.

Just sad that there are some very unpleasant people that act poorly if things don't go how they want.

I know it's not a huge deal, just annoys me and i wanted to vent.
Well, I port to help my friends randomly when I am bored, but I am a student and there to heal 90% of the time. I do understand what you mean though, I have meet a lot of players like that who port to show off and act like you could never have done it without them.

In your setting you have the ability to not let anyone port to you its useful to ditch someone who is ruining questing

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Nov 1, 2017 wrote:
No problem.

I was not sure I was allowed to mention it. Admins you can delete this post if not.

Wizard 101 Central. A quick search on Wizard 101 mercenary forum would've revealed it.

Thanks for asking.
Thank you!

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
It made me wonder if it was the Wiz 101 version of "hey get out of my yard" or something Lol, but, I deleted some people because they kept porting to me without asking. They'd pop in at my 'house' and anywhere and in the middle of battles and dungeons. Sometimes helping sometimes trolling. Sometimes adding monsters I didn't need and extra time with it.

Sometimes I had to have port on because I was in a team up or a dungeon or whatever. Sometimes I just forgot to turn port off, after I signed out after the last battle or dungeon.

At first it was cute but then it got old fast. Too many people were doing this. I felt like they were bored and I was supposed to entertain them when they dropped in. It felt like the real life equivalent of you just sat down with your cocoa to relax and someone rings the doorbell and they want to gab at you for 45 minutes because they were bored or lonesome.
Kind of a one way street. I don't like those.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I had to delete someone this week. I'm not sure how they made it to my friends list (perhaps while questing with my kids) but this person was under-equipped and under-leveled (my opinion) for where she was at in the story line.

She asked for my help with a "tough" dungeon. It was just the two of us in the Spiral Geographic Society. It was all I could do to keep her alive with losing 75%-90% of her health every round.

Once we were done with that, she constantly begged me for help with Celestia.

Now I don't mind helping, I view it as payback for those that have helped me but really, EVERY time I logged on she was there waiting and sent me a help message.

*sigh*

If you need questing buddies, find someone nearer your level.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
That sounds less like someone asking for help, Area51Alien, and more like someone wanting to ride another player piggyback-style and use their prowess to finish the game, leveling up by proxy.

When I was a low level and someone max was kind enough to offer friendship (I mean, a stranger, or someone I just met), I didn't abuse it. In fact I was too shy to ever ask for anything. I think in one case they messaged and asked me.

I think it's fine to ask for occasional help but give the other person some warning; don't tell them something vague and then they show up and you are at the sigil of a two hour dungeon. Don't message them the instant they log in. Don't expect them to always drop what they are already doing, and don't port without asking first, at least, unless you know they don't care or actually like that type of thing.

Also a thank you every blue moon couldn't hurt

This has been a public service message.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SparkleTude on Nov 5, 2017 wrote:
That sounds less like someone asking for help, Area51Alien, and more like someone wanting to ride another player piggyback-style and use their prowess to finish the game, leveling up by proxy.

When I was a low level and someone max was kind enough to offer friendship (I mean, a stranger, or someone I just met), I didn't abuse it. In fact I was too shy to ever ask for anything. I think in one case they messaged and asked me.

I think it's fine to ask for occasional help but give the other person some warning; don't tell them something vague and then they show up and you are at the sigil of a two hour dungeon. Don't message them the instant they log in. Don't expect them to always drop what they are already doing, and don't port without asking first, at least, unless you know they don't care or actually like that type of thing.

Basic courtesy that everyone should have learned and use; even if it's a MMORPG and not "Real Life".

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Nov 5, 2017 wrote:

Amen!

Steven Ghoststalker