Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth or Ice? In need of help please!!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 28, 2015
So I’ve played this game a few times on different accounts over the years and have always only used 5 schools: Death, Storm, Fire, Life, and Balance. But I had never used Ice or Balance until now on my most recent account. Upon looking through the spells list of what the schools can learn I made a decision on which to play based on my play style. I’m a preferred solo player and am all about offense and am horrible when it comes to playing defense. So it looked like Myth had stronger attacks then ice but ive come to realize that the minions in myth are utterly and completely useless and just a waste of pips and since more then half the spells involve supporting minions they’re really isn’t much that myth can do.
So now my question is am I just playing myth wrong? Or is ice truly better? What school is a good secondary for each in terms of offensive power or offensive tactical play? Any and all information anyone and everyone can provide would be of great help

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
CallMeNorm on Oct 26, 2017 wrote:
So I’ve played this game a few times on different accounts over the years and have always only used 5 schools: Death, Storm, Fire, Life, and Balance. But I had never used Ice or Balance until now on my most recent account. Upon looking through the spells list of what the schools can learn I made a decision on which to play based on my play style. I’m a preferred solo player and am all about offense and am horrible when it comes to playing defense. So it looked like Myth had stronger attacks then ice but ive come to realize that the minions in myth are utterly and completely useless and just a waste of pips and since more then half the spells involve supporting minions they’re really isn’t much that myth can do.
So now my question is am I just playing myth wrong? Or is ice truly better? What school is a good secondary for each in terms of offensive power or offensive tactical play? Any and all information anyone and everyone can provide would be of great help
I wouldn't say Ice is "truly better", as every school has its own pros and cons. But if I had to choose which of the two would be better for solo questing...I'd go with Ice for the high health and resist, although they're more of a defensive/tank school. Myth does more in terms of damage, but soloing can be quite difficult at times, so Ice's high health grants them the ability to tank hits and survive battles long enough without being killed or having to constantly heal. If you get a pet with Spell-Proof and Spell-Defying (damage talents are also advised) and farm for the school's best gear at certain levels (Level 30, 60, 90 and 100), then your survivability chance will be even greater and will make questing a piece of cake. Questing as an Ice at the lower levels may be slow-paced, but once you get to the higher levels, you won't really have to worry about anything else. The ideal secondary schools for Ice would be Life for the heals (train it up to Satyr) and Death for their trap buff (train it up to Feint).
Tip: If you're a low level, you can always carry Storm treasure cards if you want to make your battles quicker. Would be better if you have a Storm Mastery though.
Side note: Ice is also great for PvP if you're looking to do it in the future. It's always been on par with Balance as the most feared school in the arena. Good luck! I hope my advice was helpful enough.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Myth is great once you realize the minions are worthless.

Myth is easier than Ice in the first arc. But grows much more challenging in the second arc because it focuses on single hits and has no ability to heal. Battles tend to take longer. Myth plays a little differently than most schools because of this, but in the end Myth school learns strategy better than the 'kill them all at once' schools. One advantage to the Myth school is their various ways to get rid of shields. Shatter and Pierce are wonderful spells to have!

In contrast, Ice struggles through the beginning of the game. Low accuracy and no blade until Mooshu means you may depend on a second school for quite a while. That said, in the end Ice ends up being easier to play than Myth despite its low power. It has plenty of AoEs to help kill multiple enemies at once, and DoTs to get around shields. It continues to suffer from low damage and low accuracy, but once you earn your blade at level 38, you'll find yourself with amazing resist, decently powerful hits and the ability to just outlast your opponent. Add Life (for healing) or Death (for damage - Feint) and Ice is a force to be reckoned with. For a long time, Ice dominated PVP at level 50-80 or so (then Balance took over).

Myth, on the other hand, has never dominated PVP.

(Not that you PVP or care to, but knowing one school excels while the other doesn't might be a deciding factor.)

If you're comparing to other schools, Myth is most like Life and Ice is most like Fire.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Emma Ravencaller, 78
Fiona Frostweaver, 73

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
CallMeNorm on Oct 26, 2017 wrote:
Between Ice and Myth, if you like to solo I'd go with Ice, but I do fine soloing on Myth as well.

Ice tends to be tough at taking damage, for the most part.

Myth gets their minion sooner than Ice, and it's an OK minion on lower levels. I haven't tried the Myth minion past level 50. At that point in time it's not going to give you much more than you can do yourself.
I felt like I needed the Ice minion before I was able to achieve that, but it was handy once it came in. I soloed Jade Oni in Mooshu with just Ice wizard and the Ice minion.

For a secondary/lieutenant -- well you can't play both at once, though, can you? Or are you planning to use two computers at once? Assuming the latter, I'd go with Fire or Death for a secondary on Ice, and Life for a secondary on Myth, just because they will cover things the other one can't.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Ugh I was thinking of secondary wizard not secondary training! Sorry!

In which case I will say that I trained a few storm and fire spells because those hit harder than Ice hit at lower levels and when Ice was playing Ice enemies.

But then later I saved up training points (I always did the Zeke and Eloise quests to see what happened from it), and trained Life up through Satyr (as DeathSummoner advised here) so I can heal my wizard and team members.

Meanwhile don't forget good gear and wands and pets and treasure cards can add what your wizard is lacking in as well. Good luck.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Okay, allow me to attempt to chime in here.

Two choices; and

Well, let's list out a few pros and cons about each school..

Pros
  • Excellent at defending (Tower Shield & Legion Shield).
  • High Health (Can get up to 8,000 at max with proper gear).
  • Very powerful late stage into the game. (At about level 40, with good gear is when you begin to tap into special power).
  • Tank (Able to absorb punishment for a great length of time, heck you can even go make cereal while still in battle and you'll still be good!).
  • Access to a variety of AoE's. (Blizzard, Snow Angel)
  • Feared and respected class (both in PvP and PvE).
  • Gets to make full advantage of a beautiful color; blue
  • Minion is useful (With access to Ice Trap and Snow Shark, don't underestimate it!)
  • Access to solid DoT's (Frostbite, Snow Angel)

Cons

• A pain to use early in the game (battles will take a little longer)
  • Low Accuracy (Get used to hearing that annoying fizzle sound).
  • Low Damage (Keep in mind, you can always enchant your cards with treasures such as "Tough" and "Giant" until you start learning spells of your own.)
  • No healing spells (You'll need to train up to Satyr to take full advantage of your job of staying alive).
  • Lacks versatility (Ice is predictable)
  • You'll need up to feint to assist in speeding up battles (especially boss battles).

Below:

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
is the rarest school in the game. For all those who have a , please, don't delete that wizard. We need more Conjurers within the game. What happened to all you guys?

Pros
  • Versatile - You have the ability to remove shields (Earthquake, Shatter), Stun (Medusa etc), and even remove pips (Celestial Calender) - Don't sleep on that spell by the way!
  • Battles are a little faster. - With early access to your school blade and an AoE (Frog), then you won't struggle as much, compared to
  • Minions - Well, at least they may come in handy. They're not all useless, and I should add that the Cyclops Minion may serve strong purpose in Krokotopia and possibly Marleybone.
  • Unpredictable - Ties in with Versatility. You have the ability to change the pace of most battles and keep your opponent guessing!
  • High Accuracy - Won't be fizzling much with 85%
  • Fair Damage - Not the best, but definitely not the worse.
  • Smooth First Arc - The first arc of the game will provide little difficulty since you'll be already armed with your efficient ammunition (Stuns, Blades, Frog, Minions).

Cons

• No Heal - Similarly to , you'll lack a school based heal. Consider training up to Satyr.
  • Multiple Traps - With your double hit spells (Minotaur, Orthus), you'll require a steady flow of traps to bring out strong potentials in these spells.
  • Poor Defense - You don't have many ways of defending yourself, having okay health, adequate resistances and only school based shields. You may need up to Tower.
  • Fair Damage - Damage is also here because it's not high, it's fair. At times, your enemy surviving by say 32 HP may just send you straight back to the commons. You may need up to Feint.
  • Has Yellow - Just dislike the color I:
  • Useless Minions - A majority of your minions will serve you little purpose as you progress through the more difficult worlds.
  • Requires Some Amount of Experience - is a unique school. It thrives on that. Even though you can blade and just frog, don't forget about the other spells at your disposal too!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
" is the rarest school in the game. "
It is?

"For all those who have a , please, don't delete that wizard. We need more Conjurers within the game."

My Myth thanks you and says he will stop by the Spiral today.

"What happened to all you guys?"

I can't say my Myth ever got any special attention or appreciation or any requests for help. Maybe other people's Myths felt the same way: redundant.

Just kidding, I'm sure they are around.

Maybe KI can make today Hug a Myth Wizard day?

Survivor
Nov 28, 2015
Thank you everyone deathsummoner4, Freshta, SparkleTube, Star Edward.

I will take into account based on what you all have said and make a careful judgement.
If anymore replies come in I shall also take those into account.
I shall reply later my final decision after a bit more time (just in case more replies come in).

Once again thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, you all are awesome

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
SparkleTude on Oct 28, 2017 wrote:
" is the rarest school in the game. "
It is?

"For all those who have a , please, don't delete that wizard. We need more Conjurers within the game."

My Myth thanks you and says he will stop by the Spiral today.

"What happened to all you guys?"

I can't say my Myth ever got any special attention or appreciation or any requests for help. Maybe other people's Myths felt the same way: redundant.

Just kidding, I'm sure they are around.

Maybe KI can make today Hug a Myth Wizard day?
Tell you what, you can go investigate on your own. While questing, just check around for any Conjurers you may see and compare that result to say, the many Pyromancers you may see or Diviners. Chances are, you'll practically see , at a much more increased rate than .

For some reason, this school just seems to be the one most shied away from.

Heck, I even deleted my Wizard for a o:

Keep Your Myth Wizard! :P

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Star Edward on Oct 29, 2017 wrote:
Tell you what, you can go investigate on your own. While questing, just check around for any Conjurers you may see and compare that result to say, the many Pyromancers you may see or Diviners. Chances are, you'll practically see , at a much more increased rate than .

For some reason, this school just seems to be the one most shied away from.

Heck, I even deleted my Wizard for a o:

Keep Your Myth Wizard! :P

I couldn't bear to get rid of any of my wiz...they have grown on me. They are almost like real in a way.

Also that would be a lot of work and materials deleted as well.

I want to clarify I wasn't trying to dispute or argue that Myth is rare. I just was surprised and actually, happy about it, because maybe my Myth has more value than I knew.

He's been beaming lately and strutting around a bit. haha

Just kidding

Sort of

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
As someone who started out as an ice wizard and still has that as my main wiz, but also has a strong Myth wiz, I'll give my take on it. I think that Ice and Myth are more opposite and designed against each other than Fire. It didn't always seem the case at lower levels, but with Minotaur, Orthrus, Earthquake, and Medusa, my ice started to HATE Myth. (Kill Myth on sight!) Myth has such an ability to waste ice's time and ruin a strong set up, while sneaking around shields. Ice is tough to learn on, there are a lot of ice enemies in WC, and ones that cast ice shields and towers. It was a good school to learn on though, learning things like stacking traps and prisms so they all go off. It is very team based, giving us all those shields and making us wait for our blade. It was right there in the survey to become a wizard, natural ice wizards put the team first.
Myth on the other hand, seems designed to solo. You have all those minions, each with specific purposes, and a lot of different ways to get the job done. You don't necessarily want the minion to stick around for the whole fight. If you aren't careful when working with others, you can really ruin someone else's attack by an ill placed Earthquake. Perhaps that's why there might not be as many myth, maybe people get mad at you stripping away all the traps, or using a minotaur on a feint. Learning all those lessons I did on ice, I find myth easy to play and I can still manage to work with others, though I need to be careful, with my own attacks and not calling an unsuitable minion that will damage other players' set ups. I use it for my running around solo wizard, but can do pretty well with it when working with a friend too.
The biggest difference seems to be whether you like working with others, or alone (possibly using minions).