Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What Countries/Continents Worlds Are Based On

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 01, 2012
Hi! Every time I unlock a new world in the game, I always try to think of what country or continent is based on that world in particular. Although there are many opinions, here is my list:

Wizard City: 18th or 19th century America

Krokotopia: Egypt and The Middle East

Grizzleheim: Scandinavian Empire and the Nordic Countries

Marleybone: Marylebone, in England

Mooshu: Somewhere in Chinese History
- Second option: Japan

Dragonspyre: Russia or Ukraine
- Second option: Greece or Italy (in terms of dialogue/story actions, not voices)

Celestia: British Indian Ocean Territory

Zafaria: Africa

Avalon: Medieval Scotland

Azteca: Mexico

Khrysalis: ???

Polaris: France

Mirage: Arabic Countries

Empyrea: ???

Help me fill in the blanks!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Re "Help me fill in the blanks,"

Khrysalis would seem to be an alien planet, as it's very futuristic and mechanized and it's also populated by giant insects.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2016
empyrea is roman or greek

Defender
Feb 28, 2013
Avalon may be medieval, but it's NOT Scotland.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Dragonspyre is probably more akin to the Roman Empire/ the fall of the Roman Empire or the Kievan Rus.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
I wouldn't say Wizard City has an inspiration and if it does than it defiantly is not 18th to 19th century America. In America the mid 18th to the early 19th century was notably the golden age for the wild west/cow boy. If were Wizard City's inspiration than it would look more like the world of Cool Ranch from Pirate101.

It's more likely that the city that sprung up around the Ravenwood Academy of Magical Arts. Wizards have to buy school supplies somewhere, why not open a kinda of magical supply shop near the campus? Add to this that the diversity in the students ranges from at least Marleybone to Avalon (Penny Dreadful is from Marleybone and we know several major characters there are from Avalon. Not to mention the Drakes came from Dragonspyre). I think Wizard City is just meant to be some giant magical melting pot.

Krokotopia, I would say is almost exclusively Egypt.

Marleybone is Victorian England.

Mooshu is Japan, not China. For the reason that Mooshu has Samoorai and ninja pigs their real life counterparts being samurai and (human) ninjas which historically were only in Japan. China never really developed these kinds of specialized warriors/assassins.

Dragonspyre, if we exclude the accents, is probably the western half of Roman Empire after its fall.

Celestia is pretty much Atlantis, again another fallen civilization that was apparently inhabited by some alien species.

Zafaria is Africa.

Avalon is well Avalon, a legendary island from Arthurian mythology

Azteca is Mexico around the fall of the Aztec Empire.

Khrysalis is really tricky, I think it's also kinda like Wizard City with no known/designated inspiration.

Polaris is France around the time of the French Revolution.

Mirage is Middle East after the fall of the Persian Empire, fairly sure.

Grizzlehiem is probably Greenland and Iceland.

Aquila is ancient Greece.

Darkmoor is probably somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Wysteria is also probably like Wizard City.

As for Empyrea we'll just have to wait and see.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2012
Thanks for commenting your thoughts! It's always fun to see what other people think.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
bobcatalex1 on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
Hi! Every time I unlock a new world in the game, I always try to think of what country or continent is based on that world in particular. Although there are many opinions, here is my list:

Wizard City: 18th or 19th century America

Krokotopia: Egypt and The Middle East

Grizzleheim: Scandinavian Empire and the Nordic Countries

Marleybone: Marylebone, in England

Mooshu: Somewhere in Chinese History
- Second option: Japan

Dragonspyre: Russia or Ukraine
- Second option: Greece or Italy (in terms of dialogue/story actions, not voices)

Celestia: British Indian Ocean Territory

Avalon: Medieval Scotland

Azteca: Mexico

Khrysalis: ???

Polaris: France

Mirage: Arabic Countries

Empyrea: ???

Help me fill in the blanks!
Most of the worlds are mixes of times, stories and places.

Wizard City: Renaissance Europe, wizards, alchemy, etc.

Krokotopia: Egypt and maybe North Africa (like Morocco, plus mixes in British exploration & archaeology)

Grizzleheim: Norway & Sweden, Vikings era

Marleybone: Marylebone, in England. <-- you called that one perfectly! (time is around 1900.)

Mooshu: Imperial Japan

Dragonspyre: Russian army in terms of culture, Greek/Roman architecture

Celestia: British Indian Ocean Territory <-- another good call! (also, mixes in legends of Atlantis, archaeology)

Avalon: Legends of King Arthur set in Medieval France

Azteca: A blend of the Aztec and Mayan civilizations of Mexico

Khrysalis: World War 2 'fifth column' and resistance, but set in an insect-themed world.

Polaris: French revolution set in Russia circa 1917 (it's 100% Russian architecture & climate)

Mirage: Arabia, ancient Persia

Empyrea: The Genesis planet! (Star Trek: Wrath of Khan meets Shakespeare's The Tempest)

Alia Misthaven