Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Username

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
Pure curiosity reasons, why can't you change your username? I can't see it conflicting with anything legal terms or in game terms.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2016
"Pure curiosity reasons, why can't you change your username? I can't see it conflicting with anything legal terms or in game terms."
-This isn't much of a issue worth doing it and it is very common curtesy to have your username immutable it not just games but anything online.
In my opinion, consider your username like a locker name to your locker. Out of the immeasurable number of lockers that is the wizard101 account database. Since it's so big, there has to be a way to find your locker before putting in your password. Your username is hashed into a number pathway code that directly allows you to access the right locker. Unlike passwords, your username is unique to you and nobody else. Changing your username means emptying out your locker (account), creating a new username that hashes into a code only unique to you, creating a space big enough as your old locker, and transferring all the items from your locker into the new one. Coding wise for anything, transferring everything in one account block to another space takes considerable amount of energy. Having no option for it in any decent online game is efficiently leaving out a time consuming process that has no benefit for you or the company.
Passwords however are just your personal key to your locker. Your not moving anything by changing your password.
*Your question wasn't much of a Kingsisle or wizard101 issue, but more of a computational question we commonly see in software.