Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Player who goes first has unfair advantage?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Most turn based games cripple the player who goes first somehow. Just as a way to balance things out.

I don't know what kind of handicap would be suitable for a game like this though. Not receiving any pips, power pips or shadow pips on your first turn? Not being able to use any spells on your first turn, but still getting your pips as per usual?

Just ideas, I really don't know what would work. I'm sure there's already been discussion regarding this issue, but I'm not sure whether it's been properly addressed. Perhaps there's measures in place for PVP? I wouldn't know, since I don't participate...

Much of this game's combat seems reliant on chance, which makes everything more interesting and indefinite. So it might be fine as is...

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
Necromancer Chris on Aug 5, 2017 wrote:
Most turn based games cripple the player who goes first somehow. Just as a way to balance things out.

I don't know what kind of handicap would be suitable for a game like this though. Not receiving any pips, power pips or shadow pips on your first turn? Not being able to use any spells on your first turn, but still getting your pips as per usual?

Just ideas, I really don't know what would work. I'm sure there's already been discussion regarding this issue, but I'm not sure whether it's been properly addressed. Perhaps there's measures in place for PVP? I wouldn't know, since I don't participate...

Much of this game's combat seems reliant on chance, which makes everything more interesting and indefinite. So it might be fine as is...
There is a Penalty for this, But its Not as Big. Person First gets Normal Amount of Pips from their Items and from the Round, and The Person 2nd Gets More Pips.

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
TheLoyalStorm on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
There is a Penalty for this, But its Not as Big. Person First gets Normal Amount of Pips from their Items and from the Round, and The Person 2nd Gets More Pips.
I never noticed this. Is this true?

Honestly, there really is no need for a penalty. Often times the person going first is first for a reason, depending on what the strategy of the fight is. A person going first tends to take more damage if there isn't 4 people in the group or if they go in for a full round before others.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Heuna on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:

Honestly, there really is no need for a penalty. Often times the person going first is first for a reason, depending on what the strategy of the fight is. A person going first tends to take more damage if there isn't 4 people in the group or if they go in for a full round before others.
At least in PVE, I know for a fact that going after your opponent puts you at a major disadvantage. It's not just on the first turn either. It's every turn.

Healing is more difficult, for example. If you go first, it's fine, you can heal immediately. If you go after, you need to survive 1-4 more possible attacks.

In addition, let's say I'm readying an attack. I have all the traps and blades set up, and I select Vampire- the turn begins, and since my opponent does their thing first, they use a death shield/tower shield/weakness/plague etc.

Now not only has my damage been significantly reduced, but my healing as well.

Now reverse the scenario. If I go first, there's nothing that can trip me up except a fizzle. No last second debuffs or shields. Only what's already there.

These are just a few of the examples I can think of.

Defender
May 11, 2013
TheLoyalStorm on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
Can't call that a "Penalty" when a balance has mana burn 5 pips gets to burn the target for more damage then they would of from second. I say remove the extra pip it is only so balance can be even more overpowered and have Another advantage they don't need. Manaburn Super Nova Loremaster ~ all spells that should be No PvP.

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
Heuna on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:

Yes it is True

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Necromancer Chris on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
At least in PVE, I know for a fact that going after your opponent puts you at a major disadvantage. It's not just on the first turn either. It's every turn.

Healing is more difficult, for example. If you go first, it's fine, you can heal immediately. If you go after, you need to survive 1-4 more possible attacks.

In addition, let's say I'm readying an attack. I have all the traps and blades set up, and I select Vampire- the turn begins, and since my opponent does their thing first, they use a death shield/tower shield/weakness/plague etc.

Now not only has my damage been significantly reduced, but my healing as well.

Now reverse the scenario. If I go first, there's nothing that can trip me up except a fizzle. No last second debuffs or shields. Only what's already there.

These are just a few of the examples I can think of.
Going first as in, being the first to go as opposed to your opponent, is luck. Sometimes its you, sometimes its not. Thats part of the game. And it sounds like thats what you have an issue with. Penalizing the first player wouldn't be any more fair than you not going first. It would solve your issue, but then create another by giving the disadvantage to them instead. People would then be in here complaining about being penalized.

What I thought you meant, was that in your own group, being the one to go first should be penalized.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Heuna on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
Going first as in, being the first to go as opposed to your opponent, is luck. Sometimes its you, sometimes its not. Thats part of the game. And it sounds like thats what you have an issue with. Penalizing the first player wouldn't be any more fair than you not going first. It would solve your issue, but then create another by giving the disadvantage to them instead. People would then be in here complaining about being penalized.

What I thought you meant, was that in your own group, being the one to go first should be penalized.
I stated from the get-go that it's all a matter of luck, and that maybe it's fine as is.

As is, the player(s) or enemies who go first have a constant edge throughout the battle, not just a head start.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on fixing that to make it fair. The penalty was a throwaway idea, just tossed out there as "I don't know, maybe this?" not like I was really pushing for it.

I guess if it's fine to let one flip of a coin decide who's going to struggle the most throughout an entire battle and not just one turn, then sure.

It's not like getting a critical hit or a power pip- each player has the same chances at that, depending on the gear they've acquired and decided to equip and what not.