Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gardening FPS Drop?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 11, 2009
Hello!

Currently I've noticed an issue happens with gardening. I have the usual 69 EMPS on a character and whenever I use the big gardening spells to clear their issues (Water, Pollen, Music, Pests) it drops my FPS down to 1, and stays at 1 while it removes each plants pest one by one. Does anyone else have this issue or an admin have a solution to this issue? I have to relog or wait 5 minutes for this to go away and its really a pest!

Thanks, Chase SpriteHunter

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It's becoming a worse issue for me. I have lots of gardens. Every day now, I try to cast a spell and the FPS drops to 1 FPS. If I'm lucky, I can port out. If I'm not lucky, I have to sit there. I end up getting up to make lunch, make a cup of tea, grab some peanut butter fudge, and slowly make my way back to the computer. By then it may or may not have completed the garden.

It doesn't matter if the garden is stacked or single level. It happens ALL THE TIME.

The other issue that's getting worse ..... not being able to harvest elder plants. I walk up to a Jewel plant and the name pops up as "Evil Magma Peas". As soon as I start to harvest elder plants, the whole area 'resets', which messes up harvesting and even planting.

It's gotten old and I would like to see these fixed.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have had this same problem for a long time. I have been setting my wizard to spin as soon as I cast one of the spells. It only makes it so the system is aware that my wizard is still there and active but doesn't help increase the FPS.

I have also noticed that since the last game update, some of my gardens seem to have reset their growth rate, meaning some that should have been elder were at the beginning of the elder stage.

As with @BrynnerOfReign, I have multiple gardens on 12 wizards. Instead of being able to tend needs in a few minutes on each account, it is taking a couple of hours per account. Tending plant needs is becoming a very slow process. It doesn't matter what size your plot is or whether you are using a spell for all indoor/outdoor or if it is just a normal large area spell.

As BrynnerOfReign says, it is getting old.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Completely agree, it is a pain these days.

Try this - kill all of the pests first before doing any of the other needs; I have found that it often gets my FPS back to a somewhat decent speed on my large plots.

Curious to see if it works for anyone else.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
SilverbackMonkey on Aug 6, 2017 wrote:
Completely agree, it is a pain these days.

Try this - kill all of the pests first before doing any of the other needs; I have found that it often gets my FPS back to a somewhat decent speed on my large plots.

Curious to see if it works for anyone else.
I have tried that but it doesn't seem to make any difference what need is tended first.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Aug 7, 2017 wrote:
I have tried that but it doesn't seem to make any difference what need is tended first.
Shoot, sry to hear that. In the past, clearing up the pests (the extra animation going on) used to work for me....

Let's hope it gets fixed soon.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
Happens to me as well from time to time and I'm running Wiz on a pretty beefy computer. I've noticed that it only occurs when all of my EMP's needs are showing. To remedy this, I've staggered my needs by taking care of some in the morning and some in the afternoon. That or I'll use the protection spells that prevent needs for 48 hours.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
SilverbackMonkey on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
Shoot, sry to hear that. In the past, clearing up the pests (the extra animation going on) used to work for me....

Let's hope it gets fixed soon.
I tended a plot of KP yesterday starting with Sun first since I had used a Pest prevention a couple of days earlier thinking it would help. Unfortunately, It took about 5+ minutes before it would let me do anything else.

I certainly hope it gets fixed soon. Having this happening on several wizards is making it very hard to get much done. By the time I finish tending gardens, I am too frustrated to do any questing or pet training.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Yes, I've been experiencing this same issue these past weeks.

It usually gets back to normal FPS after about 1 min, I guess this is the time it takes to apply the spell on every single plant in the garden.

I wonder if they are aware of it.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I have sat at the house for a few, thinking things may need to load and settle down. Nope, didn't work.

I have tried using different spells, hoping it would break the habit. Nope, didn't work, either.

It's taking forever to do my gardens. Between that and not being able to harvest because of glitchy garden resets is too much.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
This is hardly a new thing, though it has gotten progressively worse with each gardening update, there is simply too much going on graphically imo

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
We've been dealing with this for some time now. I never bothered to post it since KI will not look into any gardening issues if you stack. Since all of my gardens are stacked I just put up with it.

This is the only thing that helps slightly. As soon as you cast the spell run to your house and get inside. The spell still works its just the animation that is lagged and you get control back once inside. Then just walk back out.

As for not being able to select a elder plant well. lol that has been an issue for over a year now. All you can do is leave your house all together and come back to select it. This happens with all types of plants not just emps.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
bob3567441 on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
We've been dealing with this for some time now. I never bothered to post it since KI will not look into any gardening issues if you stack. Since all of my gardens are stacked I just put up with it.

This is the only thing that helps slightly. As soon as you cast the spell run to your house and get inside. The spell still works its just the animation that is lagged and you get control back once inside. Then just walk back out.

As for not being able to select a elder plant well. lol that has been an issue for over a year now. All you can do is leave your house all together and come back to select it. This happens with all types of plants not just emps.
Same here. I didn't post about it since most of my gardens are stacked as well.

But As BrynnerOfReign stated in her first post, it isn't just on the Stacked plots, it is on the SINGLE layer plots as well. I don't stack my Jewel plants and it happens with those as well.

I barely have time to set my wizards to spin as soon as I cast any spell and certainly won't be able to get inside my house or even port out.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
This is hardly a new thing, though it has gotten progressively worse with each gardening update, there is simply too much going on graphically imo
It isn't just gardening updates, but just about ANY update seems to add to the increased delay in tending gardens.......

I don't even use the House Magic in any of my houses even though I have it in one. I have removed all pets and other objects from all planting areas thinking that might help but it doesn't.

I don't have any other problems in the game since I quest in perfect realms to prevent having extreme lag. You would think that would also help with gardening but it doesn't.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
DITTO! I've been having problems for months as mentioned by other and then, I can go to harvest and have to resort to using wand because the 'X' doesn't appear on a plot of 30 plants and you can't use the wand because it will only get the outside border of plants. In some cases, I have to reboot to get it to work right.

Another 'DITTO', way too much animation and the more they add, the worse it gets . . . especially the gardening . . . where stupid plants have to dance and squawk for 15 seconds. Planting manually is a real pain because of the animation.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Yes, the FPS issue has been going on for quite a while.

It's getting worse, which is why some of us are posting. Before, it would happen once in a while. Now, it happens ALL THE TIME.

Clicking on your 'home' button as well as running into your house works, but it still takes time, as the FPS is extremely low and it may or may not work before your garden gets back to normal.

Leaving the game helps, but then again, it takes time for the game to close.

In regards to not being able to harvest plants, yes, this has been an issue for a long time. Pretty much since Red Barn Farm came out that it became a bigger issue. Harvesting small plots are easier but medium and large plots are very difficult to try and collect, not only your elder harvest but trying to collect before it goes elder, too. Some plants are very tall. Going to the Commons going to your dorm doesn't mean it fixes your game. It used to, but now, your garden can be stuck until all of it goes elder. This happens even if you close the game. It may not 'reset' and allow you to garden properly.

These issues need to be looked at, especially since it's gotten progressively WORSE with housing, game, garden, and world updates.