Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stop Battle Cheating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 11, 2013
While Battle Cheating does add a new level of surprise and challenge to battles, it extremely modifies the entire purpose of the game, in my opinion.

Our Wizards are trained to handle battles with structure and rules, and when bosses (or other enemies) cheat our skills are put to waste due to them not abiding by them whatsoever. This can be very aggravating to me and I would not doubt that it aggravates other wizards as well.

Battle Cheating must cease to exist as soon as possible. It creates unfair challenges for wizards!

Survivor
Oct 17, 2011
Brandon Storyrunne... on Jul 19, 2017 wrote:
While Battle Cheating does add a new level of surprise and challenge to battles, it extremely modifies the entire purpose of the game, in my opinion.

Our Wizards are trained to handle battles with structure and rules, and when bosses (or other enemies) cheat our skills are put to waste due to them not abiding by them whatsoever. This can be very aggravating to me and I would not doubt that it aggravates other wizards as well.

Battle Cheating must cease to exist as soon as possible. It creates unfair challenges for wizards!
I understand where you're coming from, but it is actually fair. In the world of W101, you may find early on that bosses and the game itself has little to no challenge. In the later worlds, it will get harder, almost to the point where you're forced to make a change. Otherwise, you would probably keep the same deck for long periods of time in the game. This is intended to build strategy and prepare us for greater challenges. If bosses couldn't cheat, they would be no fun, in my opinion. Think of it like this, if some bosses that were very prominent in the game could not cheat, then they would be no different than other bosses in the game that weren't so important. Their only difference would be school, health, rank, and their texture. It's always fun to work around an obstacle, and it forces us to cooperate with our teammates and friends. I think that it's mostly just a beneficial concept. I could go on but I think you get the gist. Good luck on your travels!

-Daniel RavenSmith

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I strongly disagree. Cheating bosses, when done right, change the battle so that it is different from other battles. Without cheats, the strategy for every single boss would pretty much be "blade up your hammer, then have them AoE and destroy all enemies within a 5 mile radius", and that's not as much fun the 3526th time you do it. If there are cheats in place, perhaps you still do the same thing, but there's other elements, too. Yevgeny, in the Graveyard, will stun you if you blade. Coupled with his cycle cheats, you have something else to do, and if you don't do that, the damage Yevgeny cheats will certainly put the hurt in you. Then there's Shane afterwards. You can still blade up and kill, but Shane needs to be damaged every turn, or again, the hurt is on, and it's not going to be as easy to withstand since he uses an incredibly strong Vampire on you if you heal. It's certainly more interesting than, er, that one boss you have to fight in that one world who stands around with something like 15,000 Health, and plays out just like the last boss of the same school you fought.

Defender
May 16, 2009
I disagree. The purpose of this game is not strictly a magic battle simulator. The game is a RPG; a roleplaying game, a medium designed to tell its creator's story. Battle is a major part of it, but it is not the sole and entire purpose of the game, merely just a part.

While in the beginning, yes, our wizards are trained to handle structured battles, our wizards also grow and learn to adapt to new rules and mechanics introduced like the various cheats. The structure of combat never truly changes. Everyone picks their move, Side A goes, Side B goes, reset for the next round. Cheats act as extra rules for people to play around and adapt their play style to, similar to how PvP tournaments add on extra rules that affect the battle.

Also, the game should not be an easy ride all the way, in my opinion. People should be challenged at least at major points in the plot, or as they progress to higher levels. I'm still disappointed that they nerfed the difficulty of Mirage, as I was glad to have a challenging world for once.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
get rid of boss cheating!!!!!

**has pet with Maycast, unicorn, pixie, tower shield, enfeeble, and vengence
**has wand with maycast metaclops
**has a jewel that gives maycast +10damage +20Critical block

OH MY GOD THESE BOSS's MAKE THE GAME UNFAIR

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

Have you ever watched a movie that has wizardry? For example, Lord of the Rings or even the Harry Potter movies. If you have then you know there are no specific rules. The enemy is going to use anything they can come up with.

Some of the cheats seem a little overboard sometimes but as far as being unfair, not really. Those challenges are what many players thrive on. As a wizard, you have to find a way to counter any and all they can throw at you. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You research your enemy, then you work for a strategy to defeat them.

IF those challenges were not in the game, I highly doubt there would be as many players as there are now. The game is coming up on it's 9th anniversary in September. Let's hope it makes it through another decade or more.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I agree with Brandon. Cheating bosses isn't only unfair is also sets a bad influence on kids by making them think it's ok to cheat which creates a problem in real life by cheating while playing table-top games with family members and friends (Monkey see, Monkey do) causing no one to want to play with them. 5 of my friends including my brothers left the game because they don't understand how bosses attack 2-4 times around is called strategy. To them it's called cheating. I believe any game can be challenging without the cheating. If Wizards want challenges why not create their own challenge by adjusting their gear, the number blade they use and/or not use feints or go into battle with no armor if you want a real challenge. KI can only do so much without making games to difficult for others It's up to players to do the rest

Survivor
Oct 11, 2013
I do get what other wizards are saying when they say we have to adapt to new challenges - however I agree that challenges can be made by altering other things. If the bosses can "cheat", why can't we?

While I'm not specifically sure what alterations could be made to make them more powerful instead of having them cheat, its something I believe the community could give feedback on.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
Brandon Storyrunne... on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
I do get what other wizards are saying when they say we have to adapt to new challenges - however I agree that challenges can be made by altering other things. If the bosses can "cheat", why can't we?

While I'm not specifically sure what alterations could be made to make them more powerful instead of having them cheat, its something I believe the community could give feedback on.
We kinda can cheat through maycasts. It isn't as reliable as bosses' cheats, but it does exist.

One thing Kingsisle has tried with the latest world is making enemies do more damage with their attacks, like they actually have boosted damage. Probably not entirely new as of Mirage, but certainly much more noticeable there. They're kinda still in the middle of figuring out how much is enough, and it certainly feels a lot more fair than giving bosses multiple moves in a turn, but I wouldn't want it to entirely replace cheating, since many boss battles tend to easily reach a state where it's four wizards against one boss, and getting four moves to their one can be pretty unfair too (just, in our favor and not theirs). Besides, again, cheating opens up the opportunity to the strategy to take down bosses different from other bosses. While extra damage and other inbuilt stats certainly help serve to make the boss harder, the optimal strategy will probably always be "blade up and AoE, except this time faster or you're gonna get knocked out".

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I find it frustrating the first time I battle a boss and discovers he/she cheats (Belloq being the most recent example and Chester Drawers the one that sticks in my craw). It does provide a challenge that keeps the game interesting.

That said, having to go to the internet and find someone who has figured out the strategy behind the boss cheat is not the most fun thing to do while playing the game.

I would recommend a compromise of sorts:

1. Make gear with "Maycasts" a bit more common, expensive YES. But definitely more common, it would alleviate the notion that only the bosses can cheat.

2. There should be a "know-it-all" character on every world (Like Prospector Zeke) that could provide in game hints for defeating the bosses. After, a third unsuccessful attempt, his icon could pop up and could tell the wizard something like, "Belloq, yeah I've never had the pleasure of tangling with him, but there is a tell-all biography in the Boabab Library." or "That boss continues to cast RA? Hmmm I seem to recall that Headmaster Ambrose has a book in his office that talks about that"

Just my two-cents
Steven Ghoststalker

Then the Wizard has a side quest to run to whereever and get a hint on how to defeat the Boss

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I love cheat bosses. I'd like more.

The game has been nerfed to jello already. Cheats are about the only thing that provide any challenge now. Why should every fight be the same? It gets boring if we don't get occasional twists.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 20, 2017 wrote:
I agree with Brandon. Cheating bosses isn't only unfair is also sets a bad influence on kids by making them think it's ok to cheat which creates a problem in real life by cheating while playing table-top games with family members and friends (Monkey see, Monkey do) causing no one to want to play with them. 5 of my friends including my brothers left the game because they don't understand how bosses attack 2-4 times around is called strategy. To them it's called cheating. I believe any game can be challenging without the cheating. If Wizards want challenges why not create their own challenge by adjusting their gear, the number blade they use and/or not use feints or go into battle with no armor if you want a real challenge. KI can only do so much without making games to difficult for others It's up to players to do the rest
I understand your take on cheating influencing kids and making them think it is ok. BUT, here is a little fact of life. It is up to the parent to teach the kids what cheating is AND that it is NOT ok.

Cheating in real life has been around for a LOOONG time. Nothing new and not necessarily learned from playing a game like this. It will always be here and it is up to parents to teach their kids what is and is not ok.

As for the suggestion of adjusting their gear for more challenge, THAT has been suggested several times since the release of Mirage and met with some irate responses and got the thread closed..... I don't think it is a good idea to go down that road again.

Defender
Apr 03, 2016

I strongly Disagree With You. Just Cause they Don't Abide by the Rules of Combat Doesn't mean They break The game. You will find That If bosses didn't cheat anymore, They would be Insanely Easy. Bosses have an AI and you Have yourself. Its very easy to defeat a boss who just randomly does What they want. The AI Casts Random Spells without knowing what your doing. If anything, your post should cease to exist. Did you just create this post just cause you were soooooooo mad cuz u couldn't beat malistaire or baba yaga?

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
DragonLady1818 on Jul 20, 2017 wrote:
Have you ever watched a movie that has wizardry? For example, Lord of the Rings or even the Harry Potter movies. If you have then you know there are no specific rules. The enemy is going to use anything they can come up with.

Some of the cheats seem a little overboard sometimes but as far as being unfair, not really. Those challenges are what many players thrive on. As a wizard, you have to find a way to counter any and all they can throw at you. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You research your enemy, then you work for a strategy to defeat them.

IF those challenges were not in the game, I highly doubt there would be as many players as there are now. The game is coming up on it's 9th anniversary in September. Let's hope it makes it through another decade or more.
I strongly agree with you dragonlady. If they removed cheating, Bosses probably would be so easy to farm or wouldn't even exist!

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
Brandon Storyrunne... on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:

Cheating is not Unfair. Its fair at the very least of it. Our Characters are Controlled by Us and we have learned to be very smart like blade with different blades and use feints before any attack and straight up do over 2k Damage with bosses doing just under 1000 Damage every 1 Round. Trust me. this Happens in Azteca.

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
I find it frustrating the first time I battle a boss and discovers he/she cheats (Belloq being the most recent example and Chester Drawers the one that sticks in my craw). It does provide a challenge that keeps the game interesting.

That said, having to go to the internet and find someone who has figured out the strategy behind the boss cheat is not the most fun thing to do while playing the game.

I would recommend a compromise of sorts:

1. Make gear with "Maycasts" a bit more common, expensive YES. But definitely more common, it would alleviate the notion that only the bosses can cheat.

2. There should be a "know-it-all" character on every world (Like Prospector Zeke) that could provide in game hints for defeating the bosses. After, a third unsuccessful attempt, his icon could pop up and could tell the wizard something like, "Belloq, yeah I've never had the pleasure of tangling with him, but there is a tell-all biography in the Boabab Library." or "That boss continues to cast RA? Hmmm I seem to recall that Headmaster Ambrose has a book in his office that talks about that"

Just my two-cents
Steven Ghoststalker

Then the Wizard has a side quest to run to whereever and get a hint on how to defeat the Boss
Oh my gosh! That is such an amazing Idea, Area! Maybe you should make a Post on that!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
I don't have a problem with cheating bosses. What I have a problem with is having to research a fight before going in and following a set strategy to win. That just makes it less interesting and irritating to me.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
DragonLady1818 on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
I understand your take on cheating influencing kids and making them think it is ok. BUT, here is a little fact of life. It is up to the parent to teach the kids what cheating is AND that it is NOT ok.

Cheating in real life has been around for a LOOONG time. Nothing new and not necessarily learned from playing a game like this. It will always be here and it is up to parents to teach their kids what is and is not ok.

As for the suggestion of adjusting their gear for more challenge, THAT has been suggested several times since the release of Mirage and met with some irate responses and got the thread closed..... I don't think it is a good idea to go down that road again.
For you saying " it's up to the parents to teach the kids what cheating is AND that it is NOT ok" is easier said than done. It doesn't work that way. Kids also learn it from other people and what they see on TV and games regardless what parents say. Perhaps you're right. Maybe it's up to the parents to teach their kids about cheating. Does that mean they should shut games and TV off and not have their child hang around people as they see fit? As I said in my last post "Monkey see, Monkey do" and that, is a fact of life. Please pay more attention to life and you'll
see what I mean and do not try to silence me by telling me what I CAN and CAN'T say about the gear. There's nothing wrong with that and I will say it again if I have to. As far as threads being closed If people wouldn't argue and talk down to someone because he/she doesn't like what they read, then maybe topics wouldn't lock up; simple as that. People have the right to post as long as it's not violating the Code of Conduct but they don't have the right to troll a post. I stand correct. So let's not argue and keep the thread open

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
TheLoyalStorm on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
Oh my gosh! That is such an amazing Idea, Area! Maybe you should make a Post on that!
I just might

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
For you saying " it's up to the parents to teach the kids what cheating is AND that it is NOT ok" is easier said than done. It doesn't work that way. Kids also learn it from other people and what they see on TV and games regardless what parents say. Perhaps you're right. Maybe it's up to the parents to teach their kids about cheating. Does that mean they should shut games and TV off and not have their child hang around people as they see fit? As I said in my last post "Monkey see, Monkey do" and that, is a fact of life. Please pay more attention to life and you'll
see what I mean and do not try to silence me by telling me what I CAN and CAN'T say about the gear. There's nothing wrong with that and I will say it again if I have to. As far as threads being closed If people wouldn't argue and talk down to someone because he/she doesn't like what they read, then maybe topics wouldn't lock up; simple as that. People have the right to post as long as it's not violating the Code of Conduct but they don't have the right to troll a post. I stand correct. So let's not argue and keep the thread open
Not to create an argument but, I have a grandson that has watched me play since he was a baby and is now 7. He knows the difference between a cheating boss and one that doesn't. If he sees me battling one that cheats he says "That's mean."

BUT, he can't wait till he is old enough to play this game. He likes challenge as much as many others do, but also knows the difference. What we teach in real life can have a lasting effect. Do we always succeed? No. All we can do is try.

You are right about "Monkey see, Monkey do." Most of what kids learn is from those around them in real life. The same thing goes for "Monkey hear, Monkey say." Foul language is an issue we see in the game but MOST kids hear it from those around them more than anywhere else.

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
I just might

Steven Ghoststalker
Alright tell me if you Do!

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
DragonLady1818 on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
Not to create an argument but, I have a grandson that has watched me play since he was a baby and is now 7. He knows the difference between a cheating boss and one that doesn't. If he sees me battling one that cheats he says "That's mean."

BUT, he can't wait till he is old enough to play this game. He likes challenge as much as many others do, but also knows the difference. What we teach in real life can have a lasting effect. Do we always succeed? No. All we can do is try.

You are right about "Monkey see, Monkey do." Most of what kids learn is from those around them in real life. The same thing goes for "Monkey hear, Monkey say." Foul language is an issue we see in the game but MOST kids hear it from those around them more than anywhere else.
"oh the boss cheats eh? thats bad! FACE MY 100,000 DAMAGE ASSAULT!!!"

if cheating is bad, and we fight them, we win, they stop cheating.... villians never win..... :P

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
camahawk on Aug 13, 2017 wrote:
"oh the boss cheats eh? thats bad! FACE MY 100,000 DAMAGE ASSAULT!!!"

if cheating is bad, and we fight them, we win, they stop cheating.... villians never win..... :P
I Fully and Strongly Agree, Camahawk XD Feints are The Best

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
TheLoyalStorm on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
Alright tell me if you Do!
It is done.