Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wheelchair Mounts

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 11, 2009
Why not have mounts that are wheelchairs for people with disabilities, I know if my father didn't have one he would lose most of his independence and means of getting around, if some people want them for the game and use them in real life, why not have them

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
SoxGuy on Jul 19, 2017 wrote:
Why not have mounts that are wheelchairs for people with disabilities, I know if my father didn't have one he would lose most of his independence and means of getting around, if some people want them for the game and use them in real life, why not have them
While I do agree that having some representation would be nice, I also think it could end up doing more harm than good. I can just imagine people would be making a joke out of it, which could really hurt an actual disabled person's feelings.

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
I'm not sure if this would ever happen because it could cause a bit of controversy.

Wheelchairs are used by people who have trouble walking around or can't walk at all. Mounts on the other hand are used by our wizards to help us move 20%-50% faster, and we can walk just fine without them. The wheelchair mount would basically be an accessory, which just isn't the case for disabled people who need it to move.

Also the effect would be ruined whenever we're in activities that require us to remove our mounts (gardening, being inside, pet training, battling) and we would be running and jumping around.

...and as I was typing this I suddenly had an idea.

How about an option in character creation where our wizard is disabled and we get around using a medieval-inspired wheelchair when you're not using a mount?

Amber Dreamflower Level 120
Amber Frostflower Level 9

Survivor
Oct 17, 2011
SoxGuy on Jul 19, 2017 wrote:
Interesting idea, but I don't know if that would appeal to people. Perhaps make them rocket boosted or levitating, or like two broomsticks strapped together in the shape of a wheelchair. Something visually exciting if you will. Good idea though.

-Daniel RavenSmith

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I don't know why anyone would think that having a wheelchair would send a wrong message or become a joke and hurt a differently-abled player's feelings - I think they would get a boost out of seeing others "just like them" in the game.
@ thatgrumpypanda: that's a wonderful idea to make a differently-abled player!

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
Regardless of all that, I think it would be pretty cool to have that option :) People get muted easily nowadays imo so I don't think people would be an issue

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 20, 2017 wrote:
I don't know why anyone would think that having a wheelchair would send a wrong message or become a joke and hurt a differently-abled player's feelings - I think they would get a boost out of seeing others "just like them" in the game.
@ thatgrumpypanda: that's a wonderful idea to make a differently-abled player!
Of course, most people who actually use wheelchairs and many other people out there would not have a problem with having such a mount installed. Unfortunately, there are also a fair amount of people who would partake in ableism just because they can. That's the concern revolving around a wheelchair mount.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Eh, I don't know. It would be nice to show some representation and it would make some people pleased, but I think it really would cause some controversy, and could be taken the wrong way. I'm not making fun of anybody with a disability when I say this, but I think it would just be kind of weird to see somebody just riding around in a wheelchair. And the "disability option" in character creation would seem just kinda random and weird. Everybody could just be riding in a wheelchair if they want to, kinda losing its "specialness". That could also be easily abused by bullies, making cruel jokes. Mounts serve the same purpose anyways.

Defender
May 11, 2009
I dont know where you guys live, but where i live we DON'T make fun of people in wheelchairs and if someone did then nobody around would condone it, and I feel like the same would be true in the Wizard101 community, because that's what it's suppose to be a community, and in a proper community people dont bash each other because of their differences, and dont let the people who do get away with it, there is a reason why you have the option to report players

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I feel like an NPC in a wheelchair would fare much better than a mount. Although it would be great if all players treated everyone with respect, that's not always the case. I've seen some really nasty things said in game and the online anonymity of it all makes it worse. Because their real name, location, and other personal information aren't out in the open, people feel like they can say whatever they want with no consequences. Based on what I've already seen, I wouldn't put it past some people to use a wheelchair mount as a way to mock disabled people.

I believe that there should be representation, but an NPC would be a much better way to do it.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2016
Great Idea! I completely support it!

Blaze Life Hammer Level 40

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Vanessa Mythdust on Jul 27, 2017 wrote:
I feel like an NPC in a wheelchair would fare much better than a mount. Although it would be great if all players treated everyone with respect, that's not always the case. I've seen some really nasty things said in game and the online anonymity of it all makes it worse. Because their real name, location, and other personal information aren't out in the open, people feel like they can say whatever they want with no consequences. Based on what I've already seen, I wouldn't put it past some people to use a wheelchair mount as a way to mock disabled people.

I believe that there should be representation, but an NPC would be a much better way to do it.
That is a really good idea Vanessa!

Historian
Aug 10, 2009

I am with Vanessa.. Npc is the way to go.. Most people would not abuse or tease someone who is disabled, but there are those horrible few that would ruin it for everyone.. I have heard and seen some pretty bad stuff in this game.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
This is a terrible idea. No one chooses to be in a wheelchair, and to allow it as an in-game mount, would be an affront to all those who must use them. While your heart seems to be in the right place, there are much better ways to support the handicapped.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
Alright so if we round up what has been said with the pro's and the con's of this idea we get something like this: (Sorry if I miss anyone's intake on this)

Pro's:
  1. It would allow representation of the disabled community within the game
  2. It could be a one time crown shop mount where all the proceeds go to a charity such as Scope if you are in the UK
  3. Some Disabled people would like the idea of being represented

Cons:
It can be so easily manipulated into a way for people to mock disabled people
Although some Disabled people would like that representation, some use games as a way to almost forget that they can't walk and some other things ect
People can be nasty and so it can do more harm than good no matter the original intention
An NPC in a wheelchair like Vanessa said would probably be more appropriate if you are looking to represent that community

Overall I believe that the Con's out way the Pro's in this suggestion due to nastiness and bitterness that people would only bring to that mount, yes the community is lovely however there are always "Trolls" in any community who will do anything to make someone's life that harder just for a laugh and with something as complicated as Disability the last thing someone wants to deal with as the majority I presume who are disabled like the idea that no one knows you are disabled you don't get judged in game and such they feel they can do things that everyone else can do (I don't want that to be taken the wrong way I just mean it in a way that games help people forget about their problems), And like was stated before an NPC in a wheelchair would be a much better representation for them.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

Yes, I guess I ought to thank you for reminding me that there are horrible people in this world. I absolutely love the idea of a "disabled" NPC. What a chance for a wonderful role model!

Defender
Jul 21, 2017

I have actually known someone who revealed to others that they were handicapped, and they were bullied for a long time.

There were "trash" drops that existed only to sell for cash, and one of the drops was a wheelchair. They would actually mail her wheelchairs just to mock her, among other things.

I don't know the full story unfortunately, but apparently whenever she would block them they'd just create alternate accounts and characters, and customer support wouldn't help.

There are a lot of good people online and a lot of bad people too, just like in "the real world", so yeah. One has to be careful. Especially when it comes to those of us who are "different" from everyone else. We get the worst of it.