Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pink Dye Options For Boys

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 11, 2009
While trying to create a mannequin Sgt. Peppers band from The Beatles ( an old band which many players probably havent hear of), i noticed there wasnt a pink dye for boys, so i created a girl player, transferred my items via the shared bank, dyed them pink, transferred them again and when I logged back on, it was changed to orange. I think this game should be progressive enough to allow boys to be able to dye clothes pink by now, considering the game has been going for almost 10 years now. I bet there are some boy players out there who would like to dye pink, at least as a second color option

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SoxGuy on Jul 11, 2017 wrote:
While trying to create a mannequin Sgt. Peppers band from The Beatles ( an old band which many players probably havent hear of), i noticed there wasnt a pink dye for boys, so i created a girl player, transferred my items via the shared bank, dyed them pink, transferred them again and when I logged back on, it was changed to orange. I think this game should be progressive enough to allow boys to be able to dye clothes pink by now, considering the game has been going for almost 10 years now. I bet there are some boy players out there who would like to dye pink, at least as a second color option
"We're Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, we hope you will enjoy the show...."
Yeah, you're not the first ( & probably won't be the last ) to ask this. I think it would be great if all the colors were available to both genders.
I would love to see your band; I've created something similar.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
this has been discussed a ton over the years. As I recall, there was limited amount of space for color options, and it was decided pink would be for girls only. I am NOT saying pink should/shouldnt be an option, just what my memory is of previous discussions. Feel free to use the search option to find out more accurate information

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
You're not the first person to ask for this.

I'm a girl who actually prefers the muted, earthy tones that boys have access to rather than the garish pink, orange and purple my characters are stuck with. It would be nice if KI let us select our preferred color palate when we first create a character. I would have chosen the 'boy' colors.

Alia Misthaven
(who did create a boy character once ... just for the colors)

Hero
May 02, 2009
This has been requested numerous times in the past to no avail sadly. Here's the response they gave in a Kingsisle Answers post on Wizard101 Central back on November 4th in 2010:

Question:inquring minds
Player asks why can’t boy and girl wizards wear the same colors? example girl is gold boy is brown, boyscannot wear pink.

Answer:
When we originally created the color palette, we had room for a limited number of colors. Our goal was to give a wide selection and to make them as complimentary as possible, meaning that we were aiming for a high degree of ‘nice looking’ matches between primary and secondary colors.

In going through this process, pink didn’t make the cut. It just didn’t match as well with the other primary colors.

When we started testing the game without pink, the feedback we received from a LOT of our younger female players was that pink was a "must have."* Maybe it sounds stereotypical, but we didn't get the same feedback from boys... in fact, most of them were against the idea of losing one of the existing colors in favor of pink.
Since we couldn't increase the palette size,*instead we took the least popular color for girls (brown) and swapped it out for the much more popular pink. (same number of colors, but different palettes.)
In testing, this change*seemed to make everyone happy,*so that's the way we kept it when we went live.

______

Would it be nice to have pink (and gender exclusive colors in general) available for both genders to use? Absolutely. Will it happen any time soon? Based on KI's track record it's very highly unlikely that it ever will sadly.

Hopefully one day KI will change their minds and allow all available colors in the game to be used by both genders instead of keeping some of them gender locked like they are now.

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
As someone who has all female wizards, I never knew that there was not a pink dye option for boys. This actually shocks me. That is seriously unfair and stereotypical.. I hope they change that.

Defender
May 11, 2009
well if its been requested so many time i feel like it should finally be time to figure out a way to do it

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
A lot of girl items do not have pink as an option either, or purple for that matter. I remember doing Tartarus on my storm and wanting to dye her robe purple, which you know is a storm color right, well lo and behold there was no purple option, go figure.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
This is just like how all the girls clothes are skirts and dresses (which clearly annoys me as a person who never wears skirts for real). Pink should be available to boys, because some boys like pink. Some girls hate pink, I kind of like the lower toned oranges and golds. But I feel as if the palette should be the same. The boys have to have pink.

~ Alexis 72

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
the Color Coding is sooo 1960's.

Time to open up the color schemes already

Explorer
Jan 07, 2013
Saying "color palette isn't big enough" is ridiculous and downright lazy. There are COMPLETELY free games with the entire rainbow to choose from. Plus, pandering to the stereotypes results in KI unintentionally promoting that boys must wear blues and browns while girls wear pinks and purples. In this game, anything is possible. Why not the same with what we wear?

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Shadow of the Past on Jul 22, 2017 wrote:
Saying "color palette isn't big enough" is ridiculous and downright lazy. There are COMPLETELY free games with the entire rainbow to choose from. Plus, pandering to the stereotypes results in KI unintentionally promoting that boys must wear blues and browns while girls wear pinks and purples. In this game, anything is possible. Why not the same with what we wear?
Although you're most likely aware, girls are still allowed to wear blue and boys are allowed to wear purple. Not only that, but both genders can have the choice between the two provided shades of the hue.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2015
Shadow of the Past on Jul 22, 2017 wrote:
I like that logic Shadow! Wizard101 should definitely be progressive and they can definitely make the color palette bigger now. I suppose if they wanted to make some extra crowns off of it, you could buy a big color circle which you can then choose what color you want you clothes. So if I wanted some exotic colors the game doesn't offer, well now I would be able to get them. Pretty good idea!

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Not enough color palettes? What? It's 2017, how is there not enough space for more? It's very much possible to just add some extra colors. KingsIsle puts out giant new updates and worlds, yet you can't add some basic colors? I think they're just too lazy to add it, or forgot about it.