Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are Crowns Shop Pets so Expensive?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 30, 2012
I've noticed a trend with pets that is very strange to me concerning the price of them. It's absolutely ridiculous that some pets cost upwards to almost 15,000 crowns (AKA the Storm Hound), which is about $15 at the least expensive. I don't see how this price is in any way justifiable, and again, that's just considering you get the $60 for 60,000 crowns deal, it can be considered a lot more depending on how you buy your crowns. Some mounts cost a lot less than this price.
The pets aren't even that good, you can hatch without using real life currency and get much better pets. I just do not see any reason for these ridiculous prices and I think these prices need to be updated. This goes for the bengal tiger and similar mounts as well that are so basic and yet cost 15,000 crowns. I know you can pay gold for them too but that crowns price is absolutely terrible and unjustified.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I can't explain everything, but in the case of the Storm Hound, it used to be an extremely rare drop from Malestaire in Dragon's Roost. That was originally the only way you could get one. Back then, the Storm Hound was an epic drop, much coveted for its storm hound card. Pets back then didn't have "talents" (pet hatching and training was introduced later), so people wanted pets for their looks and the card they came with.

My Storm won a Storm Hound from Malestaire back in the day and was THRILLED beyond pieces.

Considering how much better pet talents have gotten since then, you're right that the price doesn't reflect the pet's current value. A first generation Storm Hound has many selfish talents, and there are much better storm talents out there now. However, the price still does reflect the short cut of buying an epic, ultra-rare drop.

For many of the crown pets, the reason their price is so high is the same reason: they were rare drops, or they have excellent talents and/or stats. The Sea Dragon is highly priced, for example, because it has no selfish talents and high stats. In addition, it's an uncommon drop in Celestia. You can try to win one for free rather than paying the high crowns price. Same with a few other pets - look up where they drop and try to win them.

For those pets that DO drop in the game, the extremely high crowns price reflects the "ease" of paying to get faster what you should have gotten "free" for some hard work grinding bosses until the pet drops.

Hope that makes sense...?

Alia Misthaven
Sierra Stormcaller
(Proud Owner of Sadie, an original Malestaire-dropped Storm Hound)

Survivor
Oct 07, 2012
This is very true. Around 2 weeks ago, I was opening some packs while they were on sale for 199 crowns. I received the Leopard pet, which is 9500 crowns normally (I believe). The pet is fine, and I have pets that were drops that are so much better. I can't imagine paying more than 1000 crowns for this pet.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2017
Yeah wait this is so true... I mean obviously not all of them are as expensive as the storm hound but overall they're definitely too much. Like you can buy a full set of decent gear and it would still be less than like a storm hound or an earth colossus.

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
Ruthless Anthony on Jul 9, 2017 wrote:
I've noticed a trend with pets that is very strange to me concerning the price of them. It's absolutely ridiculous that some pets cost upwards to almost 15,000 crowns (AKA the Storm Hound), which is about $15 at the least expensive. I don't see how this price is in any way justifiable, and again, that's just considering you get the $60 for 60,000 crowns deal, it can be considered a lot more depending on how you buy your crowns. Some mounts cost a lot less than this price.
The pets aren't even that good, you can hatch without using real life currency and get much better pets. I just do not see any reason for these ridiculous prices and I think these prices need to be updated. This goes for the bengal tiger and similar mounts as well that are so basic and yet cost 15,000 crowns. I know you can pay gold for them too but that crowns price is absolutely terrible and unjustified.
I feel like you got this info straight from blazelifehammer recent video, but I could be wrong. Indeed they are expensive and its basically they are milking some money out of those people who buy crowns to buy those expensive and its a continuous loop.

Alejandro

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
reyes107 on Jul 9, 2017 wrote:
I feel like you got this info straight from blazelifehammer recent video, but I could be wrong. Indeed they are expensive and its basically they are milking some money out of those people who buy crowns to buy those expensive and its a continuous loop.

Alejandro
The Blaze video is what made me wish to post this but these are thoughts I've had for awhile. I wanted to bring it to the attention of the message boards as I know that Kingsisle employees browse here.