Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wings of Fate - I'm disappointed :(

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Hello,

I just got Wings of Fate spell and am very disappointed about it. Out of all shadow enhanced spells, Wings of Fate got the worst effect, 525 attack & health over 3 rounds? Sigh, that was definitely a true let down.

I don't care if it has less attack because a healing effect is shared with it, but the over time is what gets me. This spell is almost useless and I don't see many scenarios we could be using that, EVEN when we are playing in a group.

Even though the healing might help a bit, it's very ineffective due to the fact that the dots will consume any life/universal traps on the enemies, nullifying any attempts to trap them while the dots are still active, one would do just so much better by using a simple Unicorn, if the healing is what was intended.

I KNOW we have a ton of spells and we are not obliged to use every and each we got, the same could apply to Wings of Fate, but it's just useless. All of the other schools get really cool spells they'll be using all the time, Life however does not.

I'm not expecting KI to change things right now, as it's been around for quite a while, but I do hope they will do something for us in the future and hopefully make up for it.

Sorry for taking your time but I felt I needed to share my thoughts on this matter.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I have Wings of Fate and I hardly use the spell because of the over time affect. To me Rebirth and Unicorn is more efficient in high damaging battles. l'm in Mirage and I feel wizards has a better survival chance in battle by not using Wings of Fate but it's not completely useless. It does do the job go enough in lower level worlds.. I do agree, Life wizards needs a better heal all spell than that one since many of us are in Mirage and Emprea is on it's way.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
my life wizard is only level 13 and I don't plan on questing very heavily but I can only imagine the frustration of being stuck with forest lord this whole time. I think you guys should get a new AoE because you are more than deserving of one. honestly storm wizards could get "useless" spells for the next 4 worlds and still be at the top of the food chain.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Yes... Forest Lord is everything we got. I know that, instead, we get lots of healing possibilities, but we went past 120, I said 120 levels and all we got is a 8 pips multi target spell, like come on... My conclusion is that this shadow update was simply not for Life wizards. Oh well, a compensation in the future is what I look forward to.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, I think it should get a small buff in damage AND healing and make it no longer a DOT spell. I mean seriously, it's level 108.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lem27 on Jul 12, 2017 wrote:
Yeah, I think it should get a small buff in damage AND healing and make it no longer a DOT spell. I mean seriously, it's level 108.
Come to think of it, the damage & healing is a little weak for a shadow enhanced spell. How about in the ball park of 650?

Survivor
Aug 31, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
Come to think of it, the damage & healing is a little weak for a shadow enhanced spell. How about in the ball park of 650?
Yeah, I think that it would also be a good idea for it to stay the say as a heal (but make it one big heal, no DOT) and just increase the damage more.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
I was thinking you guys should have something closer to 700. It wont exactly make you the next storm wizard but it would help.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
the awesome pyroma... on Jul 14, 2017 wrote:
I was thinking you guys should have something closer to 700. It wont exactly make you the next storm wizard but it would help.
I'll go for 700 but I don't think it should be much more than that. I know Life wizards are healers not fighters but still, they have to survive too if and when they choose to go solo. Forest Lord is the only AOE spell they have doing 540-620. I feel it's getting out of date since we are heading in to harder worlds. So yea, I agree with your suggestion.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Here's another problems with this DOT spell to those power hitters. Those who like using feints frown when "Wings of Fate" is cast. The spell destroys feints by doing such a low damage and no more feints can be cast for 3 rounds causing a mess up to the power hitters strategy. I see it to often when player get so upset when a spell like that ruins their chance for a kill.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 3, 2017 wrote:
Here's another problems with this DOT spell to those power hitters. Those who like using feints frown when "Wings of Fate" is cast. The spell destroys feints by doing such a low damage and no more feints can be cast for 3 rounds causing a mess up to the power hitters strategy. I see it to often when player get so upset when a spell like that ruins their chance for a kill.
Exactly!

I would still understand that they would want an AOE overtime heal, OKAY, but then make the attack one hit then leave the over time heal. It would not be that OP, as it would damage less than Forest Lord, but it would be healing all foes at the same time.

KI please listen to us

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
How many of you have actually looked at the possibilities with WoF buffed as well as your own wizard buffed to the max?

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Wings_of_Fate#axzz4pNjAvyJY

As for Forest Lord, I personally have done over 6,000+ damage against a mob using this spell.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Forest_Lord#axzz4pNjAvyJY

You need to look at all options and possible buffs for both spells and your wizard. The spells will only give you what you put into them. If you don't use what is available with spell buffs and all Blades that are at your disposal then the spells aren't going to give what you expect them too. And yes, the stats from your gear is also going to make a difference.

Scroll down the page on both links and look at the difference with the various buffs and use what you have been given.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
DragonLady1818 on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
How many of you have actually looked at the possibilities with WoF buffed as well as your own wizard buffed to the max?

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Wings_of_Fate#axzz4pNjAvyJY

As for Forest Lord, I personally have done over 6,000+ damage against a mob using this spell.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Forest_Lord#axzz4pNjAvyJY

You need to look at all options and possible buffs for both spells and your wizard. The spells will only give you what you put into them. If you don't use what is available with spell buffs and all Blades that are at your disposal then the spells aren't going to give what you expect them too. And yes, the stats from your gear is also going to make a difference.

Scroll down the page on both links and look at the difference with the various buffs and use what you have been given.
I'm glad you do that but again, everyone has their own strategy, know how and playstyle at will and it's their right A lot of young people don't look at what you are looking at because they either don't care about all options and possible buffs or it's not their play style to play the way you and others do. Many players want to see numbers for base damage on spell cards and go from there when they choose a school to play not just what the spell offers. That's why there are not many life wizards as there are others and worlds and dungeons are nerfted so everyone can play the way they choose. I thought I explained all this to people. I believe I stand correct.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
I'm glad you do that but again, everyone has their own strategy, know how and playstyle at will and it's their right A lot of young people don't look at what you are looking at because they either don't care about all options and possible buffs or it's not their play style to play the way you and others do. Many players want to see numbers for base damage on spell cards and go from there when they choose a school to play not just what the spell offers. That's why there are not many life wizards as there are others and worlds and dungeons are nerfted so everyone can play the way they choose. I thought I explained all this to people. I believe I stand correct.
I realize it may not be their play style but they can't expect KI to increase the numbers on a spell if they are not willing to learn how to use it to their advantage. Just increasing the numbers isn't going to make a lot of difference if you don't buff.

Remember the threads about the difficulty in Mirage? Remember how many were saying to FARM for better gear? This is a very similar scenario BUT it is actually easier to obtain than spending hours, days or weeks farming for that gear. I rarely ever farm unless it is something I need for crafting or seeds. I will work with the gear I can craft or what I get from drops if it is worth it. I won't spend the amount of time I have heard others claim just to get a piece of gear. If I get it with in a couple of runs ok, if not, that is ok to. I dual box so anything is possible.

I guess you could say that since I don't and won't farm for gear, it is basically the same thing as others not wanting to look at the spell enhancement options.

It may be why there are fewer Life wizards but in reality, the same holds true for any other school. If you want the damage, you are going to have to enhance your spells as well as buff your wizard.

By the time a wizard is level 108, they already have a lot of enhancements and buffs available to use with WoF or any other spell. I guess I post the links to show what is possible if a player wants to take a look.

I am also wondering if many are not training those Sun and Star spells when they are at the right level or are they just passing them up.

Also, I am not sure that all the newer players know there is a site that will provide them with additional information about spells, or even bosses. By giving those links, it may give them a bit more to look at and think about rather than just coming here wanting something buffed or changed without taking a look at the options.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 11, 2017 wrote:
Because people can not be bothered with learning game mechanics, spells should be buffed to accommodate them? Is that what you said here?

As for blaming kids, they play better than most adults!

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
When I read complaints about Life school, I sometimes wonder if the posters are playing the same game I am. Life is wonderful!

Wings can be enchanted to boost healing or damage. Both perks can be buffed as much as needed, and help ALL friends while damaging ALL enemies. That's a fantastic ability! Of course we can't have everything (where would we put it?) so it comes at a price of less base damage and healing. The over time effect is very useful against enemies that shield, or when your team is taking DoTs or getting hit over multiple rounds.

Yes, DoT attacks waste feints, so obviously that's not the combo you want to use. Maximize your strengths, work around limitations. Wings is best for multiple weaker targets, not a big boss hit -- that's why you have Caterpillar and Forest Lord.

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
I can 100% Agree with you! We got an aoe spell at level 58! Every other school gets their new AOE spell besides Life. The new world is coming up, and I was hoping for life to get a brand new amazing heal spell, but I have to beg for an aoe instead because KI never gives us one when we REALLY need it. At an exalted stage, the forest lord does not do the trick. The only thing the forest lord is good for, is questing and killing minions. That is it. Every other school gets so much AOE spells to choose from while we are stuck with one.

I would also like to mention that I have a thread about this as well in the "Dorms" section as well. Every since the spell came out, life wizards were in a giant uproar because of how disappointed we all were with the spell that literally does nothing but take space for an AOE spell that COULD have helped us at an exalted stage. 6 pips and a shadow?? Really??

Life wizards have been complaining non stop about this spell, and I don't blame any last one of them. We try and try to get KingsIsle to listen, but our opinions on WOF apparently do not matter to them.

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
the awesome pyroma... on Jul 12, 2017 wrote:
my life wizard is only level 13 and I don't plan on questing very heavily but I can only imagine the frustration of being stuck with forest lord this whole time. I think you guys should get a new AoE because you are more than deserving of one. honestly storm wizards could get "useless" spells for the next 4 worlds and still be at the top of the food chain.
You are very very smart for saying this. Charm Charm CHARM!!! Bravo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Prince of Shadows on Aug 13, 2017 wrote:
When I read complaints about Life school, I sometimes wonder if the posters are playing the same game I am. Life is wonderful!

Wings can be enchanted to boost healing or damage. Both perks can be buffed as much as needed, and help ALL friends while damaging ALL enemies. That's a fantastic ability! Of course we can't have everything (where would we put it?) so it comes at a price of less base damage and healing. The over time effect is very useful against enemies that shield, or when your team is taking DoTs or getting hit over multiple rounds.

Yes, DoT attacks waste feints, so obviously that's not the combo you want to use. Maximize your strengths, work around limitations. Wings is best for multiple weaker targets, not a big boss hit -- that's why you have Caterpillar and Forest Lord.
Most of the dungeons in mirage+ are group dungeons (Meaning most of the time, you will be using "Team Up". You do understand that everyone uses feints in Mirage right? I mean come on. Leave the DOT spells for the fire, the stuns for the ice and myth, the damage to the storm, and the support with life. What's next? We get a new spell that stuns all enemies? KingsIsle is experimenting on how other schools professions work on other schools and it does not do well at all. Many complaints made. Much controversy. And a lot of complaining that will never end until the game actually gets balanced out.

1. Everyone feints. Especially in boss fights rendering as WOF "Useless"

2. Every other school gets their cool "AOE Shadow Spell". You wanna know what we get? Two birds flapping feathers and ruining the feints as they serve no purpose.

3. We have been asking for an AOE spell for a while now, and no improvement has been made

4. Death and Storm are the best treated schools. Death gets a ton of AOE spells that do more damage than the forest lord, and they get a HEAL BACK as well. Pathetic. Don't even get me started on storm. One feint + 1 blade and the whole dungeon is wiped out clean. The game is broken.

Believe it or not.

Jonathon EarthCaster

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Pouffy23 on Aug 14, 2017 wrote:
I can 100% Agree with you! We got an aoe spell at level 58! Every other school gets their new AOE spell besides Life. The new world is coming up, and I was hoping for life to get a brand new amazing heal spell, but I have to beg for an aoe instead because KI never gives us one when we REALLY need it. At an exalted stage, the forest lord does not do the trick. The only thing the forest lord is good for, is questing and killing minions. That is it. Every other school gets so much AOE spells to choose from while we are stuck with one.

I would also like to mention that I have a thread about this as well in the "Dorms" section as well. Every since the spell came out, life wizards were in a giant uproar because of how disappointed we all were with the spell that literally does nothing but take space for an AOE spell that COULD have helped us at an exalted stage. 6 pips and a shadow?? Really??

Life wizards have been complaining non stop about this spell, and I don't blame any last one of them. We try and try to get KingsIsle to listen, but our opinions on WOF apparently do not matter to them.
With all the heals we already have and MC Heals from pets, we don't really need anymore heals right now. MAYBE later but not now.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Most of the dungeons in mirage+ are group dungeons (Meaning most of the time, you will be using "Team Up". You do understand that everyone uses feints in Mirage right? I mean come on. Leave the DOT spells for the fire, the stuns for the ice and myth, the damage to the storm, and the support with life. What's next? We get a new spell that stuns all enemies? KingsIsle is experimenting on how other schools professions work on other schools and it does not do well at all. Many complaints made. Much controversy. And a lot of complaining that will never end until the game actually gets balanced out.

2. Every other school gets their cool "AOE Shadow Spell". You wanna know what we get? Two birds flapping feathers and ruining the feints as they serve no purpose.

3. We have been asking for an AOE spell for a while now, and no improvement has been made

4. Death and Storm are the best treated schools. Death gets a ton of AOE spells that do more damage than the forest lord, and they get a HEAL BACK as well. Pathetic. Don't even get me started on storm. One feint + 1 blade and the whole dungeon is wiped out clean. The game is broken.

Believe it or not.

Jonathon EarthCaster
The biggest issue with WoF was the fact that it did not restore health to a defeated ALLY. I have read the threads here which are ONLY 6 regarding WoF (which 3 have been closed) and those on Central which aren't very many either..

Players have used Feints all through the game. Doing so in Mirage is no different. When playing as a team, it is all players responsibility to pay attention to what has been cast in the way of traps.

Mistakes do happen but that is to be expected. Some of us have learned to experiment with our spells before using them in any of the upper worlds just to see if they are useful or whether we just leave them out of our decks.

When I dual box, I don't set Feints on a boss if a spell like WoF is going to come into play. I also double up on feints on a boss in case I want to use Forest lord to take out the minions but also reduce the boss's health so that my other wizard has a better outcome with that ONE SHOT.

What I don't understand is why so many want their schools to have what other schools have. That doesn't even make sense. Each school is different and that is the way it should be. Granted, maybe Life could use another AoE but it isn't a game maker or breaker. The real trick is learning to use what you have to the best advantage.

But here is another fact that you seem to ignore. Not all life wizards agree with your idea that Forest Lord is no longer of viable use. It most certainly is and we use it a lot. We also craft the lower pip spells like Goat Monk (single target) as do the other schools. The same holds true with Myth's Frog. My Myth uses it instead earthquake and with some pretty good results.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
O, WOW! Can I ever chime in on this one. LIFE is the single weakest wizard I have and not because the power isn't built up . . . but because she has no AoE damage spells other than ForestLord; you should have to quest with my daughter growling and snapping because ForestLord is the only spell I can use and she is sick of seeing it. Think I'm not sick of only having it???? She won't quest with a LIFE cause she's so sick of that spell.
I now have the little pet spell . . . whoopie de do, KI; ever think users want stick with a little Kookabury for pet just to get a slightly small spell other than ForestLord that is primarily little use once you get past Dragonspyre?

We didn't need yet another heal spell; we haven't always got someone else to do the hitting for us! Wake up and smell the coffee . . . give us a potent AoE damage spell that will stand up to dungeons with 3 or 4 creatures that all have 15,000 to 30,000 health and using tower shields around the horn and bombarding us with piles of weakness spells.

It don't have to be better than any others, just EQUAL and stop with the DOT spells; what's wrong with a fast and effective slam-dunk hit like scarecrow or PowerNova?? And I like to see the damage the spell did, sharp and clear. Give us a green squid or a stronger leaf attack or anything powerful so we can help a team or stand alone. LIFE should have had a powerful AoE shadow damage spell at 100, and here they are at 120!

Hero
Aug 18, 2011

Believe it or not.

Jonathon EarthCaster
If "everyone feints" hit with Forest Lord or single-target the boss with Caterpillar. A player choosing sub-optimal spells for the situation doesn't mean the game is broken. Adjust strategy according to the battle and team.

Having played Mirage on multiple schools, including Life and Storm, I assure you Life is an easier solo. Slightly less damage, but much greater health, base accuracy, and healing ability. You can't have superior everything.

Also keep in mind that Life has a 10% bigger blade. At high levels the base damage of a spell matter less than your ability to buff and enchant it -- observe skilled Myth wizards "wiping whole dungeons" with Frog.

Compare apples to apples between Life and Storm (before gear boosts):

Epic Forest Lord, 8 pips, 3 rounds: Blade, sharp blade = 1848 to all
Epic Sirens, 8 pips, 3 rounds: Blade, sharp blade = 2148 to all

So a 300 hp difference in base damage vs a typical 3000 difference in health.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I've stayed out of the debate since I am only level 73 and still in Zafaria.

That said, I have always wondered why Death has the ability to both deal damage and heal themselves. I understand having Life as the only school that can heal others but still cannot grasp the why's on death's ability to both deal damage and heal themselves.

I partnered with a very nice death Wizard a few days ago to take down the Black Palace in Zafaria and was quite amazed when Scarecrow spell (don't know the name for it), properly buffed, took down the entire battle in a one shot and the Death Wizard went from almost dead (I was saving pips for regeneration) to complete full health with enough extra that it could have completely healed the whole party.

There have been plenty of battles that I've fought that are needlessly prolonged simply because my wizard needs to heal, then save up enough pips to once again cast Forest Lord. I would like to add my voice to the chorus of asking nicely for Life AOE / HAF spell that is worth saving the pips to use.

As to whether WoF is "broken" or underpowered, I will save my comments until I have actually used the spell.

To those who complain about being tired of seeing good ol' Fluffy (or Chewbacca as he is affectionately called here). Tried and true but works will always be welcome in my spellbook.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
cardorarla on Aug 14, 2017 wrote:
O, WOW! Can I ever chime in on this one. LIFE is the single weakest wizard I have and not because the power isn't built up . . . but because she has no AoE damage spells other than ForestLord; you should have to quest with my daughter growling and snapping because ForestLord is the only spell I can use and she is sick of seeing it. Think I'm not sick of only having it???? She won't quest with a LIFE cause she's so sick of that spell.
I now have the little pet spell . . . whoopie de do, KI; ever think users want stick with a little Kookabury for pet just to get a slightly small spell other than ForestLord that is primarily little use once you get past Dragonspyre?

We didn't need yet another heal spell; we haven't always got someone else to do the hitting for us! Wake up and smell the coffee . . . give us a potent AoE damage spell that will stand up to dungeons with 3 or 4 creatures that all have 15,000 to 30,000 health and using tower shields around the horn and bombarding us with piles of weakness spells.

It don't have to be better than any others, just EQUAL and stop with the DOT spells; what's wrong with a fast and effective slam-dunk hit like scarecrow or PowerNova?? And I like to see the damage the spell did, sharp and clear. Give us a green squid or a stronger leaf attack or anything powerful so we can help a team or stand alone. LIFE should have had a powerful AoE shadow damage spell at 100, and here they are at 120!
You couldn't have put that any better.

I definitely know what you are talking about, not only it's sickening to watch the same animation from lvl 58 to FOREVER, but Forest Lord also takes ages to have its animation completed. Can it be any worse?

You also have a point on "we not always have people to do the hitting for us". Definitely! I myself quest alone, usually, what's then? What's the points of just having an arsenal of healing spells (aoe) if you will only be hitting. KingsIsle you cannot expect we will have people available all the time; it's just unthinkable.

Also have a brief look:

Balance:

Sandstorm - solid hit
Power Nova - solid hit
RA - solid hit
Nestes Fury - solid hit

Ice:

Blizzard - solid hit
Giant - solid hit
Snow angel - dot hit
Barrage - solid hit

Death:

Deer knight - dot
Scarecrow - solid hit (drain)
Lulu - solid hit (drain)

Fire:

Meteor - solid hit
Scald - dot
Dragon - dot
Rain of fire - dot
Bull - solid hit

Myth:

Frog - solid hit
Earthquake - solid hit
Colossus - solid hit

Storm:

Tempest - solid hit
Storm lord - solid hit
Sirens - solid hit
Bugs - solid hit

AND...

Life:

Forest Lord - solid hit
Wings of Fate - dot

I don't have anything else to say after this!