Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why it really happens

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Today I am hear to tell why fire has more damage then storm(yes their is really a reason).Try to see the past,present,and future.Storm was ruling the game with storm lord darkwind and wild bolt to quickly eliminate everything.Soon after, balance got their best friends loremaster supernova and mana burn taking low pip high damage from storm, which myth and death did also with ninja pigs and deer knight.They soon allowed that to every school with the darkmoor spells plus extreme damage boost on all schools gear.Soon the damage of fire will shift to myth,life,ice,death and balance, and then back to storm.So really, kingsisle isn't giving fire storms damage, its just letting everyone share the fun and glory of massive damage which they will also do the same with ice's resist.Thank you kingsisle for finely finding a way to help everyone even though most of us don't see you doing it

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
So what exactly is storm getting for letting everyone else gain its niche of "massive damage"? Is it gaining the same resist as everyone-nope, same health-nope, same utility-nope. Well gee lets just give storm's defining characteristic to everyone with no compensation for storm-hoorraayyy.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Please don't say that. It's offensive to storm (and I'm not even storm!). This is a lame excuse to why YOU got tons of damage, and evidently you probably just have really good gear. I'm fire and I can get an 1,000+ hit with crit on meteor strike. I can get 1,500 hit with two blades on fire dragon. And fire dragon is an over time spell. Honestly, since storm has large immediate damage that's what makes them stronger in one hit. Storm is really good at that, and may need less buffing but that doesn't mean that we aren't equally as good. Maybe Storm is better, maybe it isn't. Fire school's damage comes over time and has about equal. Myth, Ice, Death, Balance and Life are attacking most times while Life has the upper hand in healing, Myth can summon powerful minions and have really good spells that break blades and shields. Did I mention that Myth has good over time? Ice is about the tower shield for people of other schools but Ice can stun for no pips and still are really powerful. Like the phantom horse ice attack (srry I don't know name) it does at least 1,000 damage leaving a stun AND overtime. Balance can buff everyone with blades and traps, but can also have Super Nova, Mana Burn, Judgement, and Sandstorm (on crit is amazing). Lastly, Death. Death can be extremely powerful in overtime damage if you let them be, because they have the same case as Fire whereas their over time may be larger and their immediate attack can be a bit lower. Death also has feint, -50% health, and other nerfing wards.

I think I've made my point as to why you can't just yell at storm, because there are good parts of every school. So don't be mean to the storms. I've run into plenty of storms who attack but I've also ran into many that let me attack. Sorry you had to read that storms. Have a good rest of the day all!

See you in the spiral!

~ Alexis 68

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Fire and myth were on par for damage, at least as far as gear is concerned, so why isn't myth getting this boost? Giving fire more damage then storm was not the original intent of the schools at all. Personally I think KI is just trying to appease the kids, since most young boys will make fire wizards, then later have major storm envy.

Schools were designed to be different, I personally object to KI trying to make them all the same.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
So what exactly is storm getting for letting everyone else gain its niche of "massive damage"? Is it gaining the same resist as everyone-nope, same health-nope, same utility-nope. Well gee lets just give storm's defining characteristic to everyone with no compensation for storm-hoorraayyy.
As I said storm will get the same resist in due time.And its utility is as good as ices and myths.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
Couldn't have said it any better myself, charm for you!

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
kingme655 on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
Today I am hear to tell why fire has more damage then storm(yes their is really a reason).Try to see the past,present,and future.Storm was ruling the game with storm lord darkwind and wild bolt to quickly eliminate everything.Soon after, balance got their best friends loremaster supernova and mana burn taking low pip high damage from storm, which myth and death did also with ninja pigs and deer knight.They soon allowed that to every school with the darkmoor spells plus extreme damage boost on all schools gear.Soon the damage of fire will shift to myth,life,ice,death and balance, and then back to storm.So really, kingsisle isn't giving fire storms damage, its just letting everyone share the fun and glory of massive damage which they will also do the same with ice's resist.Thank you kingsisle for finely finding a way to help everyone even though most of us don't see you doing it
When KingsIsle first began Wizard101, there was a defining purpose for each school.

Ice-Defense
Life-Healing
Storm-Damage
Fire- Damage over Time
Myth-Minions
Death- Part Healing Part Attack, Regeneration
Balance- Blading, Traps

We can all agree that Myth's was utterly destroyed very early on. Minions were given to other schools at the expense of Myth. Life has been distributed, but not as much as Myth's. The very idea that Storm's damage will be distributed to other schools actually kind of repulses me. It takes away another school's talent, that's why Storm wizards were storm in the first place is because they were supposed to have a "talent" for attack. I, as a storm, have a horrible time staying alive because of low health and low resist, and now our attacks are going to be blunted as well? That is a hit that might put Storm eventually in the same position as Myth - irrelevant. Thank you.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
As I said storm will get the same resist in due time.And its utility is as good as ices and myths.
Storm's utility is far less than myth and Ice. Myth and Ice have an offensive/defensive move, both have better stun combos, both have DoTs, both have shield manipulation.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 14, 2017 wrote:
Storm's utility is far less than myth and Ice. Myth and Ice have an offensive/defensive move, both have better stun combos, both have DoTs, both have shield manipulation.
Its ok that they have shield manipulation because storm has blade manipulation.A storm lord to ruska combo is way more damage then medusa to pigs or winter moon to lord of winter plus its a minion killer.Storm doesnt need dots if they can get 120% pierce with shrike and infallible. I rest my case.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
Please don't say that. It's offensive to storm (and I'm not even storm!). This is a lame excuse to why YOU got tons of damage, and evidently you probably just have really good gear. I'm fire and I can get an 1,000+ hit with crit on meteor strike. I can get 1,500 hit with two blades on fire dragon. And fire dragon is an over time spell. Honestly, since storm has large immediate damage that's what makes them stronger in one hit. Storm is really good at that, and may need less buffing but that doesn't mean that we aren't equally as good. Maybe Storm is better, maybe it isn't. Fire school's damage comes over time and has about equal. Myth, Ice, Death, Balance and Life are attacking most times while Life has the upper hand in healing, Myth can summon powerful minions and have really good spells that break blades and shields. Did I mention that Myth has good over time? Ice is about the tower shield for people of other schools but Ice can stun for no pips and still are really powerful. Like the phantom horse ice attack (srry I don't know name) it does at least 1,000 damage leaving a stun AND overtime. Balance can buff everyone with blades and traps, but can also have Super Nova, Mana Burn, Judgement, and Sandstorm (on crit is amazing). Lastly, Death. Death can be extremely powerful in overtime damage if you let them be, because they have the same case as Fire whereas their over time may be larger and their immediate attack can be a bit lower. Death also has feint, -50% health, and other nerfing wards.

I think I've made my point as to why you can't just yell at storm, because there are good parts of every school. So don't be mean to the storms. I've run into plenty of storms who attack but I've also ran into many that let me attack. Sorry you had to read that storms. Have a good rest of the day all!

See you in the spiral!

~ Alexis 68
This is not intended to be an excuse.Its just explaining why fire has storms damage.I'm not fire or storm nor will I ever be so it doesnt affect me at all.And so what if a 2 bladed dragon does 1500? A 2 bladed ra forest lord storm lord snow angel and possibly even earthquake or crow does the same.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Jasmine3429 on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
Fire and myth were on par for damage, at least as far as gear is concerned, so why isn't myth getting this boost? Giving fire more damage then storm was not the original intent of the schools at all. Personally I think KI is just trying to appease the kids, since most young boys will make fire wizards, then later have major storm envy.

Schools were designed to be different, I personally object to KI trying to make them all the same.
They are not now nor will they ever be the same.

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
kingme655 on Jun 14, 2017 wrote:
You're right, they won't, because now Storm will be lower than other schools. There will be tiers eventually, those schools like Fire, Ice, and Balance that won't lose anything out of it, but gain, then Life and Death that don't get anything, but don't lose anything, and Storm and Myth which just lose.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Its ok that they have shield manipulation because storm has blade manipulation.A storm lord to ruska combo is way more damage then medusa to pigs or winter moon to lord of winter plus its a minion killer.Storm doesnt need dots if they can get 120% pierce with shrike and infallible. I rest my case.
Yes storm has blade manipulation but that's practically useless when 6/7 of the schools use 0-1 blade per hit.

Lets talk actual pvp combos- A Lord to Rusalka combo does just as much as a medusa-blade to baba yaga combo while baba yaga leaves a guaranteed positive effect- Rusalka not so much. A moon to weaver combo is cheaper than storm's while leaving a huge rebuff on top of ices 3k health buffer. Just one reason the ice school is top tier and storm only now made it to mid.

Guess what- Every school with shrike and in fall completely eats through their shield... yet storm doesnt need a DoT.

I rest mine

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Well why do they keep messing with stats to make them more even then? Look at ice's damage these days, see how every school has minions, etc., etc.

Fire should not get more damage then storm, nor myth for that matter, there is no reason for it but to appease the masses who made fire wizards before they knew any better, end of story.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:
Yes storm has blade manipulation but that's practically useless when 6/7 of the schools use 0-1 blade per hit.

Lets talk actual pvp combos- A Lord to Rusalka combo does just as much as a medusa-blade to baba yaga combo while baba yaga leaves a guaranteed positive effect- Rusalka not so much. A moon to weaver combo is cheaper than storm's while leaving a huge rebuff on top of ices 3k health buffer. Just one reason the ice school is top tier and storm only now made it to mid.

Guess what- Every school with shrike and in fall completely eats through their shield... yet storm doesnt need a DoT.

I rest mine
witches housecall will get its minion killed faster then you can summon one but Ruska's blade will stay for a while, as for the debuff that's what cleanse charm is for. does a medusa yaga combo or moon weaver combo do over 8000 damage in strike with no blades or traps with darkmoor gear? no? now lets move on to single spells using myth ice and storm, bugs weaver and mythic, bugs does about 1200 mythic does 900 and weaver does 1000 with bugs having an effect just as good as weavers and myths effect being useless. There are no tiers in pvp in just depends on your gear and skill.You just need to get better.And not everything is about pvp as its an mmo not a moba(massive online battle arena).I rest my case again.Myth needs help not storm.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Jasmine3429 on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:
Well why do they keep messing with stats to make them more even then? Look at ice's damage these days, see how every school has minions, etc., etc.

Fire should not get more damage then storm, nor myth for that matter, there is no reason for it but to appease the masses who made fire wizards before they knew any better, end of story.
Just because they have some things in common doesn't mean they are the same.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Jasmine3429 on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:

Did you really just say myth has more damage then storm? No no no that is a lie.Myth is nothing compared to storm.Everyone is the game doesn't hate storm well very few want myth to exist.To most, myth is just what cronus said us wizards were which if you don't remember was "less then dust".The non myths hate myth kingsisle seems to hate myth and most myths hate myth.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Fire has many advantages over storm now. If other schools are going to get Storm's massive damage, storm should get a buff on health, &/or better counters to shields. As it stands, storm has lost relative damage, lost effective crit, still has innately lower health and accuracy, but has gained nothing.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Gemma Luna on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
Fire has many advantages over storm now. If other schools are going to get Storm's massive damage, storm should get a buff on health, &/or better counters to shields. As it stands, storm has lost relative damage, lost effective crit, still has innately lower health and accuracy, but has gained nothing.
I agree with what you said, but I just want to say that the one thing that Storm IS gaining out of this is more resist. If you notice, third arc gear gives Storm more resist than Fire :/

I am strongly against Kingsisle switching up which schools get which stats in the third arc, and I wish they would stop. It isn't right for Storm to have more resist but less damage than Fire, and it was NEVER created to be like this from the beginning.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
kingme655 on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
witches housecall will get its minion killed faster then you can summon one but Ruska's blade will stay for a while, as for the debuff that's what cleanse charm is for. does a medusa yaga combo or moon weaver combo do over 8000 damage in strike with no blades or traps with darkmoor gear? no? now lets move on to single spells using myth ice and storm, bugs weaver and mythic, bugs does about 1200 mythic does 900 and weaver does 1000 with bugs having an effect just as good as weavers and myths effect being useless. There are no tiers in pvp in just depends on your gear and skill.You just need to get better.And not everything is about pvp as its an mmo not a moba(massive online battle arena).I rest my case again.Myth needs help not storm.
I dont know what you mean by witch's housecall will get the minion killed faster than you can summon one considering the minion is summoned as the spell is cast. I am assuming you mean the minion is easily killed which is relatively true. However, the turn your opponent takes to kill your minion is a free turn for you, particularly since AoEs in max lvl 1v1 don't really exist.

In max lvl PvP a cleanse charm is a waste of a turn that the Storm school doesn't have to waste. Notice how the Storm school's shadow spell is the only one to potentially leave a self-crippling effect?

An open medusa, blade yaga combo will easily do 8k damage assuming critical just like the only way a lord rusalka no buff combo is doing 8k is assuming critical(no reason for you not to blade considering you literally have a free turn to do so).

Myth doesn't use mythic in 1v1 pvp for the same reason storm doesn't use bugs in 1v1 -its a waste of damage potential. Weavers effect is far and away more useful than bugs in the max 1v1 pvp arena particularly considering Ice's massive defensive advantages.

As for tiers in PvP- read up on it- it's a thing- here is a link: http://www.duelist101.com/wizard-101/the-mirage-max-lvl-1v1-pvp-tier-list/.

I don't think it's prudent for you to tell me to get better considering you
a)Know nothing about my PvP expertise(It's extensive fyi)
b)You don't seem particularly experienced yourself judging from your claims.

Finally, yes this is not all about PvP. However, explain to me how giving Fire Storm's damage fixes anything in PvE?

Myth needs help in PvE where Storm does indeed excel and needs no help. However, both Myth and Storm are mid tier PvP classes and can use some help there.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
kingme655 on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
Did you really just say myth has more damage then storm? No no no that is a lie.Myth is nothing compared to storm.Everyone is the game doesn't hate storm well very few want myth to exist.To most, myth is just what cronus said us wizards were which if you don't remember was "less then dust".The non myths hate myth kingsisle seems to hate myth and most myths hate myth.
No i said fire and myth should be on par with each other and they no longer are with this current trend of buffing fire's damage.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:
I dont know what you mean by witch's housecall will get the minion killed faster than you can summon one considering the minion is summoned as the spell is cast. I am assuming you mean the minion is easily killed which is relatively true. However, the turn your opponent takes to kill your minion is a free turn for you, particularly since AoEs in max lvl 1v1 don't really exist.

In max lvl PvP a cleanse charm is a waste of a turn that the Storm school doesn't have to waste. Notice how the Storm school's shadow spell is the only one to potentially leave a self-crippling effect?

An open medusa, blade yaga combo will easily do 8k damage assuming critical just like the only way a lord rusalka no buff combo is doing 8k is assuming critical(no reason for you not to blade considering you literally have a free turn to do so).

Myth doesn't use mythic in 1v1 pvp for the same reason storm doesn't use bugs in 1v1 -its a waste of damage potential. Weavers effect is far and away more useful than bugs in the max 1v1 pvp arena particularly considering Ice's massive defensive advantages.

As for tiers in PvP- read up on it- it's a thing- here is a link: http://www.duelist101.com/wizard-101/the-mirage-max-lvl-1v1-pvp-tier-list/.

I don't think it's prudent for you to tell me to get better considering you
a)Know nothing about my PvP expertise(It's extensive fyi)
b)You don't seem particularly experienced yourself judging from your claims.

Finally, yes this is not all about PvP. However, explain to me how giving Fire Storm's damage fixes anything in PvE?

Myth needs help in PvE where Storm does indeed excel and needs no help. However, both Myth and Storm are mid tier PvP classes and can use some help there.
Giving all of storms damage to fire makes fire useful in team pve again.For the tiers, imagine this,max level winter palace gear bar boots, Ancient Purrzian Boots, max deathmetal skull,lord of death's razor,lord of deaths coil, vial of the unchecked ego, Luphilim's Grim Gallery, death wizard, with all of the fire and death lore spells, endless combos with fire and endless heals with death, can't lose. And of course I know how good you do in pvp. Your the best storm that ever pvped, but sometimes the best isn't enough.So what if i'm bad at pvp that doesn't matter. and your right, storm doesn't need to waste a turn on cleanse as they can just insane bolt their way out of it.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
kingme655 on Jun 18, 2017 wrote:
Giving all of storms damage to fire makes fire useful in team pve again.For the tiers, imagine this,max level winter palace gear bar boots, Ancient Purrzian Boots, max deathmetal skull,lord of death's razor,lord of deaths coil, vial of the unchecked ego, Luphilim's Grim Gallery, death wizard, with all of the fire and death lore spells, endless combos with fire and endless heals with death, can't lose. And of course I know how good you do in pvp. Your the best storm that ever pvped, but sometimes the best isn't enough.So what if i'm bad at pvp that doesn't matter. and your right, storm doesn't need to waste a turn on cleanse as they can just insane bolt their way out of it.
The biggest change that would help fire (and all schools) in PvE is to design bosses with different win scenarios. Right now in game the best way to kill practically all enemies is via a high burst damage AoE. This puts things heavily in favor for Storm which specializes in high burst damage AoE.

Creating bosses that are immune to burst damage would heavily benefit fire and myth. Creating a boss that can't be killed that you would have to survive against for a number of rounds would benefit life, ice and death. Creating a boss that unleashes a crippling attack at high pips or that uses an op aura would benefit Balance quite a bit. These are real solutions to PvE discrepancies. Simply slapping Storm damage onto fire doesn't accomplish a whole lot.

You are correct that being bad at PvP is not particularly relevant hence my confusion when you told me to get better. However, if you need help why not send me a pm over at w101 central? I would be happy to help in whatever way I can. Judging from your writing style you are The Falcon and you specialize in Myth PvP right?

Finally, no storm worth his salt relies on insane bolt. It's a great spell under the right conditions but depending on it as an answer to Rusalka's weakness will often leave the caster's head spinning.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 18, 2017 wrote:
The biggest change that would help fire (and all schools) in PvE is to design bosses with different win scenarios. Right now in game the best way to kill practically all enemies is via a high burst damage AoE. This puts things heavily in favor for Storm which specializes in high burst damage AoE.

Creating bosses that are immune to burst damage would heavily benefit fire and myth. Creating a boss that can't be killed that you would have to survive against for a number of rounds would benefit life, ice and death. Creating a boss that unleashes a crippling attack at high pips or that uses an op aura would benefit Balance quite a bit. These are real solutions to PvE discrepancies. Simply slapping Storm damage onto fire doesn't accomplish a whole lot.

You are correct that being bad at PvP is not particularly relevant hence my confusion when you told me to get better. However, if you need help why not send me a pm over at w101 central? I would be happy to help in whatever way I can. Judging from your writing style you are The Falcon and you specialize in Myth PvP right?

Finally, no storm worth his salt relies on insane bolt. It's a great spell under the right conditions but depending on it as an answer to Rusalka's weakness will often leave the caster's head spinning.
First off, those ideas are amazing.Kingsisle should definitely do these.there are a few storms who relay on insane in pvp such as heather shadowslinger.ill post the pm now.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
Actually, I'm wondering how you know this.