Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

holding w101 data/areas on a flashdrive

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 04, 2010
Hello fellow wizards! i have a problem of people uninstalling w101 from the computer i use. It isn't very hard to reinstall but reloading areas/worlds over and over again become annoying. I have a flash drive or two that may be able to hold 3+ gigabytes. I'm not very proficient in the workings of a computer, but I understand you can cause applications to pull from different sources, i would like to do something similar in this case. Maybe not all files of w101 on said flash drive but possibly the launcher on the flash drive so it "Play Wizard101" show up on computer applications. If someone could give a fairly in depth guide of what to do

Yours Truly
Ryan Dragon Breath (made that name when i was much younger lol) lvl 65

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I'm not sure of how to really do that.

One potential simpler suggestion, and I don't know if it would help in your particular situation is to simply remove the desktop icon? Usually you can right click on it and choose unpin, remove or delete that may be one option.

You can buy like an external hard drive (like a TB for about 50 bucks) that might work too, just install it there.

My concern with doing it on a Flashdrive is that the file locations might change a lot. Drive E/D/G/J/I etc. that's just my experience and I'm no computer expert, but would that cause problems because the game is looking in different locations?

You could also try loading it to a cloud software like Box, Dropbox or Google Drive, but I've never really tried that. I think I did that with Minecraft once, and it worked though.

Sorry hopefully someone will have some better solutions/answers.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Basically, I'd just be careful "modding" your game... like I understand that it's not to cheat or anything, but still, I'd be careful.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/termsofuse

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
exp613 on Jun 12, 2017 wrote:
I'm not sure of how to really do that.

One potential simpler suggestion, and I don't know if it would help in your particular situation is to simply remove the desktop icon? Usually you can right click on it and choose unpin, remove or delete that may be one option.

You can buy like an external hard drive (like a TB for about 50 bucks) that might work too, just install it there.

My concern with doing it on a Flashdrive is that the file locations might change a lot. Drive E/D/G/J/I etc. that's just my experience and I'm no computer expert, but would that cause problems because the game is looking in different locations?

You could also try loading it to a cloud software like Box, Dropbox or Google Drive, but I've never really tried that. I think I did that with Minecraft once, and it worked though.

Sorry hopefully someone will have some better solutions/answers.
Your suggestion of an external hard drive is the best way to go. I would however, place a password on the external hd to prevent others from accessing and removing programs and files.

The game is much larger than the 3 gigs charmmaker363 states as how much his flash drive will hold and at some point the Flashdrive can become unstable or completely corrupted.

For example, on my laptop, the game is already at 6.45 gigs with over 5,000 files in 36 folders. There is no way Flashdrives are going to handle that much for very long without something happening to the flashdrive.

When you run a defrag on a computer, take a look at the file list. The game uses most of its files in one way or another during play. You can store all you want to on multiple Flash drives but you can't use multiples when trying to play.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2017
I am highly experienced with partitioning and working with a harddrive.

I will give you a step by step tutorial, if you're confused, please say so.
[FIRST NOTE: You cannot just put the installer on your flashdrive, as it doesn't unpack the contents, so that's not useful, things will still have to load in.]

NOTE 1:
PUT ALL THIS ON ONE FLASHDRIVE. STICK THE HARDDRIVE IN WHEN FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL

1. Windows Key + e at the same time.
2. Find the harddrive you stored your copy of W101 on in the file explorer you just opened via Window Key + e at the same time.
3. Go to Program Files, and find your W101 folder. Might be Kingisle or Wizard101, or it may be in Program Files.
4. Drag that folder onto your flashdrive, and then drop it. It will transfer to your harddrive.
5. Now, take the flashdrive out.
6. Put it in the computer you want, and transfer the files to Program Files on the new computer.
7. Execute the process which starts w101 in that folder on the new computer. It will be a .exe, I don't know the process name as I haven't downloaded W101 yet.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2010
Than you EXP613 & DragonLady1818

I totally didn't think of an external hardrive thank you very much! This is definitively an easier way than whatever i was rambling on about

thank you again
~Ryan Dragon Breath