Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Chat Dilemma - Looking for Advice/Solutions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Hello everyone,

So, from what I've seen, this is one of the most popular problems pertaining to W101. It's appeared time and time again through the concerns of various people, and it's even one of the first thing that pops up when you search it online. That being said, I promise I'm going to explain my problem in a way where it's not like anything else, and I assure you I've read the FAQ and even got in touch with the support team.

In game, I go by James Lightcrafter. I first started playing this game in 2009 when I was 11 years old. Nostalgia brought me back, and honestly, I'm enjoying the game just as much as I did all those years ago.

But, creating the account when I was young has brought about many difficulties for me in terms of gameplay. Because I was very uncomfortable with sharing my age at the time I created my W101 account, I left my birthday confidential; essentially blank in the field. This is something I highly regret doing.

For the entirety of my account, the most I could get in terms of speaking in chat was the filtered text chat because my account was technically listed as "under 13." I've tried to show I was of age by abiding by the current guidelines and purchasing some items such as crowns and memberships using the verified credit card I own. But I have now been told by customer service that because my account is not even listed over 13, I can never be eligible for the open chat feature, even if I do pay with my card.

Which is understandable, it's because of laws and all and I respect that. However, it made me kind of upset, and it's brought me to where I am now. I guess my last alternative in my plight to achieve chat is to hear what actual W101 members like me have to say, and maybe even a staff member.

Honestly, I'm really willing to do whatever it takes to show that from 2009 to now I have become over 18 and am ready to experience chat in a whole new way. I know it's kind of silly to go through all this trouble. In the end, I'll probably still talk as though I have filtered chat. But nowadays I'm very social and talking to the community is a really fun and essential part of this game. When all I can see is "..." because I cannot see the text of open chat members because it is blocked, it's hard to truly do that.

Thanks for reading my block of text and showing interest in my problem. This is my first time on these message boards in all the years I've played this game, and I hope to see what you all have to say. :)

Honestly, any sort of assistance - I am incredibly grateful for. And if a staff member responds to me and is willing to aid me through this process - even if there is a 0.1% chance I'll make it through all the barriers - I will have a new respect for KI.

- James

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
The answer that support gave you is correct. The only alternative you have is to create a new account with your current age and CC that would allow you to set the Chat options.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
DragonLady1818 on May 25, 2017 wrote:
The answer that support gave you is correct. The only alternative you have is to create a new account with your current age and CC that would allow you to set the Chat options.
Yeah, I figured as much.

But thanks for responding, I really appreciate it! I just wanted to have a second opinion, that's all. :)

I'm not particularly sure how W101's transfer rules have changed from the past up to now, but last time I checked it required certain membership requirements that I probably don't meet, which is keeping me from creating a new account with the proper birth date (since I don't want to lose the current wizard I have).

Oh well, it's no big deal!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
There might be a way to keep your wizard while also adding open text chat, if you are willing to wait a year. This is how it can be done.

1) Start a new account with your correct age and a valid CC attached.
2) Link this new account to your old one by setting up a Family Account with master password.
3) Pay for membership on both accounts.
4) On the new account, leave at least one wizard spot open.
5) After one year has passed, contact KingsIsle to move your main wizard to the new account.

There's a pretty good chance they'll move your wizard from your old account to the new one. Some of the privileges you get for having an old account may be lost, but you'd have access to fully open chat.

I'll say though, as an adult with limited text chat, I honestly don't notice any major issues with communicating and never feel left out or anything. It's a minor inconvenience, mostly.

Good luck either way and ... Welcome back!

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
It costs 120$ because you need two accounts with a yearlong membership.

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
DragonLady1818 on May 25, 2017 wrote:
Actually, There is an Alternative if He LINKS accounts.

Open a new account as an adult with a CC and subscription on file. Then add your prior account (link it) as a Family Account under your new CC and subscription.

You will then be able to have adult control (master pass) on chat options on both accounts.

But - they are separate accounts; so you will have to pay subs on both if you want to play both.

So DragonLady is correct, your current situation is what it is; but you Can keep your old Character and open up chat; but you will need to pay for a separate subscription to keep playing if you didn't purchase permanent zones.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
SilverbackMonkey on May 26, 2017 wrote:
Actually, There is an Alternative if He LINKS accounts.

Open a new account as an adult with a CC and subscription on file. Then add your prior account (link it) as a Family Account under your new CC and subscription.

You will then be able to have adult control (master pass) on chat options on both accounts.

But - they are separate accounts; so you will have to pay subs on both if you want to play both.

So DragonLady is correct, your current situation is what it is; but you Can keep your old Character and open up chat; but you will need to pay for a separate subscription to keep playing if you didn't purchase permanent zones.
Thank you @SilverbackMonkey. I had not thought about that but now that you have mentioned it, Once OP has created the second account and linked them with a one year sub on each, he could also ask for maybe his best wizard from the old account to be transferred to the new one.

OP also needs to be aware that unless something has changed that I am not aware of, he will have to have a separate email account for each W101 account created. Just make sure which one he wants as the Master.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I'm probably going to look into linking/transferring accounts, but in the end that will probably require a separate payment or a wait time, which seems like unnecessary effort. I think I agree with Freshta, being that I think I can learn to live with it (I've had the chat options I do for years now so I'm pretty used to it). So far, it hasn't been at the top of my head while playing the game.

Again, thanks for putting all this time and thought into my question/concern, it's really nice of all of you.

Defender
Dec 18, 2010
Log into the Wizard101 website, then go to "My Accounts". Then, click "Parental Controls", enter your password, and set "Filtered Chat" to on. Unfortunately, it will not get you open chat, but text chat is better than nothing.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
DragonLady1818 on May 26, 2017 wrote:
Thank you @SilverbackMonkey. I had not thought about that but now that you have mentioned it, Once OP has created the second account and linked them with a one year sub on each, he could also ask for maybe his best wizard from the old account to be transferred to the new one.

OP also needs to be aware that unless something has changed that I am not aware of, he will have to have a separate email account for each W101 account created. Just make sure which one he wants as the Master.
Thanks @DragonLady.

Separate emails aren't required (as of a couple years ago) -

I have 3 accounts linked as Family; each account I have the same email as contact. Once an account is linked, the Master can reset the contact email on every linked account. Just to let you know
So the OP should use his new Adult account as the Master Account.

Enjoy reading your posts btw.