Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Free to play and No to wizard101 going to Steam.

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I would like it if wizards became full free to play. However it should continue membership as well.

Membership should have enhanced "Member benefits" which could take many forms. Any where from members only dungeons to monthly bonus crowns. There needs to be a reason to want membership as everyone should have access to the entire storyline from level one to max. A healthy game has to have a good mix of free players who might join or who might buy crown packages with paid members. Best free to play game I've ever come across is Neverwinter. Completely free to play. Any item that someone spending money can get, a free to play player can get. A heck of a lot slower, (a lot lot), but free players still have the ability to buy any rare item a member can get. Any where a member can go, a free to play player can level to get there too.

Also there should be a way for free players to attain crowns on top of what they have now. Of course a limited amount capped at what you can earn per day. But some sort of daily quests/dungeons/raid that can be repeated for crowns.

I don't think any of this is even possible with wizard in it's current form. I think Kingsisle should NOT move wizard and pirate over to steam. It's time for wizard102 or whatever the next generation of these games will be called. Too many flaws in the current system to just pick it up and slap it on Steam. More people will join and it's just going to be even more people annoyed at this horrible pvp system that has been neglected for way too long. Or the lack of challenge to players at the top tier.

Get a new engine to develop the next MMO's on and work on a new game keeping in mind all the mistakes that were made. Give a legacy token(s) for wiz/pirate 2 to all the loyal players here and start a new chapter. That's what should go on steam.

Putting this on steam as is will not stop this decline, only delay it.

Defender
May 30, 2010
Mr Talon on May 11, 2017 wrote:
I would like it if wizards became full free to play. However it should continue membership as well.

Membership should have enhanced "Member benefits" which could take many forms. Any where from members only dungeons to monthly bonus crowns. There needs to be a reason to want membership as everyone should have access to the entire storyline from level one to max. A healthy game has to have a good mix of free players who might join or who might buy crown packages with paid members. Best free to play game I've ever come across is Neverwinter. Completely free to play. Any item that someone spending money can get, a free to play player can get. A heck of a lot slower, (a lot lot), but free players still have the ability to buy any rare item a member can get. Any where a member can go, a free to play player can level to get there too.

Also there should be a way for free players to attain crowns on top of what they have now. Of course a limited amount capped at what you can earn per day. But some sort of daily quests/dungeons/raid that can be repeated for crowns.

I don't think any of this is even possible with wizard in it's current form. I think Kingsisle should NOT move wizard and pirate over to steam. It's time for wizard102 or whatever the next generation of these games will be called. Too many flaws in the current system to just pick it up and slap it on Steam. More people will join and it's just going to be even more people annoyed at this horrible pvp system that has been neglected for way too long. Or the lack of challenge to players at the top tier.

Get a new engine to develop the next MMO's on and work on a new game keeping in mind all the mistakes that were made. Give a legacy token(s) for wiz/pirate 2 to all the loyal players here and start a new chapter. That's what should go on steam.

Putting this on steam as is will not stop this decline, only delay it.
I do not think this would allow the entire game in free play. But I do wish it had up to Wizard City.
Remember KI is a company

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
First of all, it's one of the mobile games going on steam (I'm pretty sure), not wizard101. Second of all, free crowns and free to play wouldn't work out. Member benefits just aren't enough reason to buy membership when you can finish the whole storyline. The majority of players don't care about cool items and side dungeons. Even with a daily cap, the crowns would be too much. And if you are thinking of minimal amounts like 100 per day, there are the trivia quizzes you can do.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Daniel BattleLeaf on May 12, 2017 wrote:
First of all, it's one of the mobile games going on steam (I'm pretty sure), not wizard101. Second of all, free crowns and free to play wouldn't work out. Member benefits just aren't enough reason to buy membership when you can finish the whole storyline. The majority of players don't care about cool items and side dungeons. Even with a daily cap, the crowns would be too much. And if you are thinking of minimal amounts like 100 per day, there are the trivia quizzes you can do.
Yes, it's one of the mobile games for now (Everclicker). However the purpose is to see how kingsisle can migrate over to steam. Then after seeing how it works, eventually move it's other properties over (Wiz, Pirate). So yes, this is to move wizard and pirate over there.

Member benefits as they stand now are no incentive to get membership. There are many things that could be added to incentivize purchasing membership. The full free to play formula does work if done correctly, neverwinter has 14 million players currently.

In neverwinter they even allow everyone including free players to earn in-game currency with daily missions. It's not a lot but it's enough for a taste to be a free player and still hold your own. So yes there is trivia and the commercial thing to watch in wiz, but that's not playing the game. That's doing something outside the game to earn in-game currency. Does that matter? Not really, but I would much prefer to be earning crowns playing wizard then logging on to some website to do it.

Giving away crowns doesn't mean KI can't make bank, they can. Probably not in wizards current form though. Which is why I think given all the problems this game already has it would be better to make Wiz 2 and launch it on steam.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
God life wizard on May 11, 2017 wrote:
I do not think this would allow the entire game in free play. But I do wish it had up to Wizard City.
Remember KI is a company
Yes they are, I understand that. I pay them monthly, just like you and everyone else posting.

However that does not mean it can't be done. Because it has, and successfully too.

Want to see more players in the game? We need free to play. Plain and simple.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Actually I've classified neverwinter wrong it's not F2P, it's freemium. That's the model I think wiz should follow. Here's a list of current MMO business models:

Free-to-play (F2P) means that there is no cost to purchase the software and there is no subscription charge. Variably applies to traditionally bought and forever available games (see Buy-to-play below). Most newer MMOs that fall under this category now includes microtransactions however, which causes them to overlap with the Freemium model.

Freemium means that the majority or all of the game's content is available for free but players can pay for extra content, character customization, added perks or faster advancement into the game via microtransactions.

Buy-to-play (B2P) means that the MMO can only be played by purchasing the game, but there is no subsequent subscription fee for playing the game. These games may or may not include additional microtransactions, or may sell additional content in the form of expansions instead of asking for an ongoing subscription fee.

Pay-to-play (P2P) means that the MMO requires a monthly subscription fee or other ongoing fee in order to continue playing the game. It may also require an up-front purchase of the game in addition to the monthly subscription fee, though many of these up-front purchases include a month of game time. This was once the most common way for MMOs to finance themselves, but has fallen out of favor in recent years as an increasing number of games have switched to other business models due to difficulty in retaining a stable playerbase.

There are lots of games that have switched models over the years and there are a few that haven't. I think if wiz/pirate is to not only survive and thrive it's going to need to switch. Again, not in it's current form.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
I completely agree that the game needs a makeover. However I don't think a wizard/pirate102 would happen. What I feel they should do is take a break from updating the game for about a year and do a whole graphic/texture rework so it looks more inviting. Listen to what people want. (more customization, variety of animations ect) and just update it.

The Free to Play on games simply look BETTER than wizards, and honestly these days that is a deal breaker for some people.

Memberships should still be a thing, and the game should not be completely free in my opinion for several reasons. But with how the game is now I'm honestly not sure how well it will do on Steam when it is filled with in depth quality pretty games.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Please do not make the entire game 'free to play.'

As it is the only way to escape the trolls and bullies is to avoid the free to play areas.

Make the entire game free to play and I would quit.
Period.

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
If they do move to Steam, I hope it's in addition to how it runs now (logging in via steam or KI client). The only thing I can see with Steam is maybe more countries can get the game and play too? It might also open up the game to those without pc's that use xboxes and playstations to play games.
While it's true they need some graphic updates (mostly in customization in my opinion) upgrading the older worlds and looks of the wizards is not a bad idea. If they do that I hope we can 1. reroll and 2. choose to keep our current faces if we wanted and not be forced to take the new version.
KI does seem to try to take into consideration what we players want and as time goes by I think they will do a better job at it and give us more customizations, upgrades etc.