Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boosting teaches kids it's okay to cheat

AuthorMessage
Champion
Mar 25, 2011
SilverbackMonkey on May 15, 2017 wrote:
Thanks, LastDiviner, for clarifying your views.

I have one son that cannot understand the concept of Math (even with private tutors); playing the game he gets a grasp (calculating blades, traps, etc.) If a kid finds math Fun somehow, yay right?

My apologies as well, I didn't mean to sound harsh in response to your opinions.
No harm done.

I suppose we're just trying to understand how to co-exist with cheaters and generally nice people in a magical, virtual world.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 103+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Polaris)

Defender
May 11, 2013
Snee432 on Apr 22, 2017 wrote:
Oh joy, you're thinking, another post about boosting. Why can't people just deal with it, you wonder? What's the big deal? It's just a game, who cares?

It is just a game, but it's a game marketed towards kids. Kids whose parents are trying to teach them that cheating is wrong. If you want something, you have to work for it, you can't manipulate the system. And what kids are learning in PvP is cheating and manipulating the system is not only alright, it's encouraged and rewarded by Kingsisle.

How? With PvP rank, their names on the leaderboard, a cool Warlord or Commander badge, and of course, gear. A boosted Warlord can, with just one tournament and a ton of crowns, buy all their gear in one fell swoop. This results in (for example) a novice character, who's only participated in ranked matches with themselves, strutting around the Commons with a badge and gear that should be restricted to players who don't cheat.

So little Suzy Rainbow Flame or Daniel Fire Hawk (I'm making these names up) learn, thanks to KI, that you don't really have to work for something, you can cheat and manipulate the system, and get cool prizes and prestige for doing so.

What happens when Suzy and/or Daniel try this in the real world? Why wouldn't they? After all, Kingsisle is a business, a company, making lots of money, ignoring and rewarding negative behavior. What happens when Suzy's parents find out KI is teaching their child to cheat? What happens when Daniel's parents get a call from school, telling them Daniel cheated on a test because "Wizard101 lets me cheat!"? Those parents log into their respective accounts and yank their credit card off, that's what.

As more and more kids learn, thanks to KI, that cheating is allowed and rewarded in-game, more and more parents are going to become aware of it. My son no longer plays Wizard, but if he did, and I learned about boosting through him, I would uninstall Wizard101. Which I might do when the membership is up, only because I support other parents trying to teach their kids right from wrong.

KI, in ignoring boosting, and encouraging and rewarding cheating and dishonest behavior, is basically teaching children to do the wrong things as long as they get something they want. And that's a dangerous game to play.
Okay I just have to chime in on this one since pvpers are crying so much now.

First of all PvP has never been fair even with many players doing it starting ranks got nothing but warlords and had to beat them to get anywhere as I did in Age 2.

Cheating bosses teaches kids the same thing it's okay to cheat.

What the bosses say starting in Arc 2 is well beyond child friendly.

And Uh you want to talk about how it teaches kids its okay to do the same thing in real life as in a game. Okay I got a counter to that ( shooting games, blood and gore, GTA etc, etc, ) all are Okay in a game, but do it IRL you're toast. The point of being a parent is teaching a child right from wrong and game from real life. ( Notice how I said a Parent and did not direct towards you, are anyone else so don't even try to say I am attacking parenting of anyone here)

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
RedDragon877 on May 16, 2017 wrote:

First of all PvP has never been fair even with many players doing it starting ranks got nothing but warlords and had to beat them to get anywhere as I did in Age 2.

And Uh you want to talk about how it teaches kids its okay to do the same thing in real life as in a game. Okay I got a counter to that ( shooting games, blood and gore, GTA etc, etc, ) all are Okay in a game, but do it IRL you're toast. The point of being a parent is teaching a child right from wrong and game from real life. ( Notice how I said a Parent and did not direct towards you, are anyone else so don't even try to say I am attacking parenting of anyone here)
The subject is cheating in PVP, what has the Arc 2 story ( whether or not it's child friendly ) have to do with that?
So are you saying that cheating isn't important because kids are learning violence ( not in this game ) but in other games?
How does that impact this subject?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
RedDragon877 on May 16, 2017 wrote:

Alright, in my 2nd post I did mention similar points so I agree with you, RedDragon.

Boosting is not cheating. It is simply an unpopular option to gain rank.

I am by no means saying that it is fair that people cheat, but that is not the only way people "cheat" in PvP.

Ex:

Threads about Juju Spammers
Threads about Angel Strategy Users
Threads about Loremaster Spammers
Threads about Dispel Spammers

People have made plenty of threads about these topics. I am not saying that this topic is completely equivalent to the ones listed above, but the issues that arise do share some similarities.

~ The idea that it is a cheap way to gain rank/earn tickets.
~ The idea that children may pick up bad lessons from them.

There is hardly a way to eradicate all types of unpopular ways to win battles.

How about this scenario which might seem familiar:

You join a match and you use a spell first round, the other player passes and the match is over immediately. They discarded all their cards and lost rank while you gained it. You never asked for a free win and someone watching accuses you for boosting and reports you.

Who is at fault? The person came into the match knowing they were going to lose and you went in thinking you might had a chance to win, right?

You were unintentionally boosted.

KI never asked for this to happen. You never asked for it. It just happens. It really stinks, it does. Add it to the list of unpopular ways to gain rank.

What about teaching you child? If you are a responsible parent, you will monitor your child's behaviour and talk about such things. People cheat in real life too you know. You think the all mighty surreal force of fate is going to put restrictions on the rules of life?

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 103+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Polaris)

Defender
May 11, 2013
anecorbie on May 16, 2017 wrote:
The subject is cheating in PVP, what has the Arc 2 story ( whether or not it's child friendly ) have to do with that?
So are you saying that cheating isn't important because kids are learning violence ( not in this game ) but in other games?
How does that impact this subject?
Okay first off the subject is "Boosting teaches kids it's okay to cheat"
Cheat being the key word I wanted to chime on, second the OP mentioned Children learning bad habits from said things. Arc 2 and Age 2 both had cheating in it PvP had it, and PvE added it to bosses ( which btw if you think it is okay for bosses to cheat then you have no reason to complain about something KI has said "IS NOT CHEATING"
Another point is OP said children learn cheating results in no punishment means they can cheat in real life, which gives every right to compare children learning bad habits from another game there is Zero difference if the parent fails to teach the child you do it in game its one thing but in life you can't then that is just bad parenting and blameing the game maker instead of their self.

"So are you saying that cheating isn't important because kids are learning violence ( not in this game ) but in other games?"

I never said that cheating isn't important I said that it is in every part of the game so people need to stop crying over what was stated by KI to not be cheating, Sorry but when many people report it and they all get a reply that says "IT IS NOT CHEATING" guess what it is not cheating find a new thing to complain about.

If you think Wizard does not have violence in it then you are clearly mistaken I have seen more violence in what the bosses say then in a M game now that is saying something.

"How does that impact this subject?"
It impacts this subject because when bosses cheat and win it shows children that cheaters win and makes them want to "cheat" another aspect of the game.

Sorry to say but just because all of you "think" and "feel" it is cheating does not make it cheating unless KI says their self that it is cheating Good day and God bless.