Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New feature to bazaar

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2015
so many games have the ability to sell membership passes on the auction house for gold. What I am proposing is some thing similar for players to do, but they can exchange stuff for in game Membership. Let's say a crafter needs 100 Titanium as example, this is rare and hard to get. A player needs membership. They would trade 2 objects through the bazaar. One player gets member the other gets what he wants. This creates a real economy and allows all players to get what they want + king isle still gets paid because some one has to buy the stuff to trade them.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Considering that we can trade only unenchanted TCs, I don't see this happening.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
So someone pays say $10 and someone farms in game, doesnt seem fair to me.

If you just want a free membership then stop asking cause other people wont pay for you

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
I believe there is a big difference between literal money and fake objects in a video game. I don't see this happening at all.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Apr 25, 2017 wrote:
So someone pays say $10 and someone farms in game, doesnt seem fair to me.

If you just want a free membership then stop asking cause other people wont pay for you
What's unfair about it? My time is being translated into money, albeit an in-game reward that normally costs real money. Ultimately the market will decide what price is acceptable for one's time. I'd support this, but then again I think all games should be like my beloved internet spaceship MMO.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Robobot1747 on Apr 25, 2017 wrote:
What's unfair about it? My time is being translated into money, albeit an in-game reward that normally costs real money. Ultimately the market will decide what price is acceptable for one's time. I'd support this, but then again I think all games should be like my beloved internet spaceship MMO.
I repeat myself, its unfair because someone like you could buy a membership for ingame money which is super easy to get if you farm Halfang in Wintertusk when other people have spent real money on it.

Also this game you said internet spaceship MMO, does it have other purchases that can be made with real money that wizard doesnt cause otherwise it wont make money if people dont have to pay for memberships.

I know a few games that have shut down because they ran out of money due to things like this and i dont want that happening to wiz just because your too lazy and too cheap to spend really money on a membership.

If your not willing to pay for this game you clearly dont love it enough so go back to your internet spaceship MMO and leave us alone.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
Ryan attacking people on my forum suggestion is not appreciated. I suggested it for discussion. I believe it's a good idea. The fact games fail because of trading stuff that already bought for other stuff for currency is not cheating king isle. Since the items have to be bought to be traded, the trade makes the price equivalent. Eg mastery on trade would not be worth a pack. You get the idea.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Apr 27, 2017 wrote:
Ryan attacking people on my forum suggestion is not appreciated. I suggested it for discussion. I believe it's a good idea. The fact games fail because of trading stuff that already bought for other stuff for currency is not cheating king isle. Since the items have to be bought to be traded, the trade makes the price equivalent. Eg mastery on trade would not be worth a pack. You get the idea.
Actually, Ryan isn't attacking anyone but he is correct.

How long do you think this game would last if something like this were added to the game. The Developers and other staff members are not going to work for free.

Not only that, but there are some of us who have been PAYING members for many years. I really don't think the paying members would be here very long with this kind of addition and it would NOT be fair.

As for your example in your original post, most reagents are not really that hard to obtain if one is willing to put the time and effort into EARNING them. But allowing players to make a trade in game and acquiring membership just is not an acceptable mode.

Also, in case you have not noticed, the ONLY thing in this game than can be traded to another wizard outside of your own account is Treasure Cards and not all of them can be traded. Gear can be passed to another of your own wizards on same account but cannot be traded otherwise.

Through your Idea, KI gets nothing which means that soon the game will not be around for those of us who want to keep playing it as long as possible. I pay for 2 accounts and others have more than I. If your idea were implemented, then that means we have all wasted a lot of money.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
My example with regrants was an example. My idea extends to pets, armour, mounts, houses, gear, amulets... even pvp gear. To me I think that king isle still gets the money because this works ONLY IF PEOPLE STILL BUY FROM KINGISLE. Since people will still need to buy to play they will buy extra one for self and one for trade if it's membership as example. No one would trade membership for reagents because is silly thing to do. People are not silly they will not trade gold for clay.

Fairness wise I don't care weirder or not it's fare for players who played a long time. I also played wizard101 from second year it launched. To me I don't care if king isle makes a bit less money, I care about item equality that the game lacks. Wizard101 is buy to win already with the pets, potions, gear and packs. It is unfair already for players who have no way to obtain the items without spending money. This option allows all players get content in game while still allowing king isle to receive the money as again stated YOU NEED TO BUY FROM KIMG ISLE to have something to trade, or put in the effort to farm mats which other players need.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Apr 26, 2017 wrote:
I repeat myself, its unfair because someone like you could buy a membership for ingame money which is super easy to get if you farm Halfang in Wintertusk when other people have spent real money on it.

Also this game you said internet spaceship MMO, does it have other purchases that can be made with real money that wizard doesnt cause otherwise it wont make money if people dont have to pay for memberships.

I know a few games that have shut down because they ran out of money due to things like this and i dont want that happening to wiz just because your too lazy and too cheap to spend really money on a membership.

If your not willing to pay for this game you clearly dont love it enough so go back to your internet spaceship MMO and leave us alone.
Ah I see, you don't understand the idea. How it works in my game (and what the OP is proposing) is that a player would buy an item that can be redeemed for membership with real money from KI, and then sell it to another player for in game money. KI still gets paid.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
DragonLady1818 on Apr 27, 2017 wrote:
Actually, Ryan isn't attacking anyone but he is correct.

How long do you think this game would last if something like this were added to the game. The Developers and other staff members are not going to work for free.

Not only that, but there are some of us who have been PAYING members for many years. I really don't think the paying members would be here very long with this kind of addition and it would NOT be fair.

As for your example in your original post, most reagents are not really that hard to obtain if one is willing to put the time and effort into EARNING them. But allowing players to make a trade in game and acquiring membership just is not an acceptable mode.

Also, in case you have not noticed, the ONLY thing in this game than can be traded to another wizard outside of your own account is Treasure Cards and not all of them can be traded. Gear can be passed to another of your own wizards on same account but cannot be traded otherwise.

Through your Idea, KI gets nothing which means that soon the game will not be around for those of us who want to keep playing it as long as possible. I pay for 2 accounts and others have more than I. If your idea were implemented, then that means we have all wasted a lot of money.
Calling me lazy and insinuating I don't love this game is an attack.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
My example with regrants was an example. My idea extends to pets, armour, mounts, houses, gear, amulets... even pvp gear. To me I think that king isle still gets the money because this works ONLY IF PEOPLE STILL BUY FROM KINGISLE. Since people will still need to buy to play they will buy extra one for self and one for trade if it's membership as example. No one would trade membership for reagents because is silly thing to do. People are not silly they will not trade gold for clay.

Fairness wise I don't care weirder or not it's fare for players who played a long time. I also played wizard101 from second year it launched. To me I don't care if king isle makes a bit less money, I care about item equality that the game lacks. Wizard101 is buy to win already with the pets, potions, gear and packs. It is unfair already for players who have no way to obtain the items without spending money. This option allows all players get content in game while still allowing king isle to receive the money as again stated YOU NEED TO BUY FROM KIMG ISLE to have something to trade, or put in the effort to farm mats which other players need.
DragonLady and the others are correct.

Earn your stuff, farm for it, etc. Why are you expecting freebies when KI employs many people to keep this game running? It costs Real Money to run a business.

You are asking that only Some people Pay so that you can get stuff? wow.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I am thinking about kids, teens who can not afford to buy packs and spend hundreds of dollars in game to obtain items. There is no way to obtain goood cpmpetetive equipment and items, this is including in pvp, dungeons, farming you name it you won't be taken because you don't have the CROWN spoils. My idea helps people who like me can barely afford the 15 USD a month because of real life expnesses and not just wasting my life farming for hours. The player who trades the object recieves what he wants, it's an exchange of goods. In theory is does not even require crown items. Let's say a person won a mount From Polaris boss but he has one already. Instead he needs a life mastery from malistare: he could trade it for the mount. Or example a person is levelling alts and needs 800 amber for all his spells. He could set the trade for example: 1 month given- received 800 amber. Then a player would come with the items and trade it if the demand for it was high enough.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

What makes you think players are going to buy extra through the Crowns shop (since that is the only other way KI makes money outside of memberships) just to trade to someone else in the game? Some players may actually be financially able to do this but not many can or will. Players like myself who are on a fixed or limited income can not afford to spend the extra. Most who play this game are not going to spend the extra and parents are not going to give their kids the options to add more purchases to their credit cards.

Not only that, NOTHING other than Treasure Cards (Not All) can be traded in game except through your own wizards on the same account. That is not going to change so therefore, the idea makes no sense.

"""Fairness wise I don't care weirder or not it's fare for players who played a long time."""

Weirder? I am assuming you meant "whether"? That comment isn't acceptable. If the game is not fair then why play?

There is a way to obtain most items in the game. Farming is what most of us do including those of us who maintain membership. I don't buy gear from crowns shop, I do occasionally buy a few packs but even those I limit to about 5 per account. I have managed to get a few pieces of crowns gear through those packs but most of my gear is through quest drops. If and when I do farm, it is for materials or gear that I need. If I have something I can't use, I will either sell it at the Bazaar if possible or feed it to my pets.

This is only a game and it is not other players responsibility to make sure others have membership. The 2 ways to have access to content is through membership or as a crowns player.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Robobot1747 on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
Ah I see, you don't understand the idea. How it works in my game (and what the OP is proposing) is that a player would buy an item that can be redeemed for membership with real money from KI, and then sell it to another player for in game money. KI still gets paid.
Why should any member buy an item to sell/trade to another player that can be redeemed for membership? That is like asking someone to "Fund" another persons game play and that isn't right or fair. Most players who pay for memberships aren't going to waste money in that fashion.

You may want to go back and read my post. I did not call you or anyone else lazy. But I did say, players need to earn what is available in the game.

The idea that has been proposed actually leaves the community open to more scamming by those who just don't want to spend their own money to play or buy what they want. The scams that have been attempted in this game have caused many to actually lose their accounts because of them giving out personal information. I can see this idea going down that same road.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Apr 29, 2017 wrote:
I am thinking about kids, teens who can not afford to buy packs and spend hundreds of dollars in game to obtain items. There is no way to obtain goood cpmpetetive equipment and items, this is including in pvp, dungeons, farming you name it you won't be taken because you don't have the CROWN spoils. My idea helps people who like me can barely afford the 15 USD a month because of real life expnesses and not just wasting my life farming for hours. The player who trades the object recieves what he wants, it's an exchange of goods. In theory is does not even require crown items. Let's say a person won a mount From Polaris boss but he has one already. Instead he needs a life mastery from malistare: he could trade it for the mount. Or example a person is levelling alts and needs 800 amber for all his spells. He could set the trade for example: 1 month given- received 800 amber. Then a player would come with the items and trade it if the demand for it was high enough.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe some parents don't want their kids buying those packs or other items from the crown shop? It is also a known fact that at some point, many kids move on to other hobbies. They may eventually come back to the game but I can understand why most parents don't turn them loose with CC's. I wouldn't either.

I am assuming you are paying for 2 accounts since you mention $15 a month. So do I and the amount is $13.90. Fixed income and household expenses prevent me from spending X amount of dollars for crowns to buy other items in the game. I craft a lot on all 12 wizards, Seed Vaults, Jewel Vaults and GEAR. I dislike farming but if I need a specific item then I will farm. I don't ask others to supply it for me and wouldn't even if it gave me additional membership time.

The only real area of this game that is highly competitive is PvP. PvE is only competitive against an AI. Gear can be gotten through drops, or crafted. If a players needs as per your example 800 amber (not likely) then maybe said players should garden King Parsley for Ultras or other plants that drop this reagent.

Also per your example, Mounts regardless of who dropped them and Mastery Amulets are NO-TRADE items in the game and never will be as far as trading to a wizard that is not one of your own on the same account.

Regardless of how you change the wording of your arguments for this idea, it is NOT fair for members to do all the work to obtain an item for another to redeem for membership.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
It *is* attacking, to call another member "cheap and lazy." There isn't a need to call names.

But I do agree it could cause disruption among paying members. There is already an inequity in that crowns players own the game forever but yearly membership players must pay for the same game repeatedly in perpetuity. That is even if the yearly membership players have also bought enough crowns to spend in the game, that would or could have paid for the crowns membership many times over.

I think there might be more benefits for yearly members to try to make up for some of that inequity, as I am not sure all understood up front that there was another option for which they would never have to pay a yearly fee again.

A lot of people might opt for the membership since that is how most things are structured. It's unusual to pay once and own something forever. The yearly memberships keep the game funded as well as crown purchases.

The issue of an outside economy for a game does tend to complicate things. Some games' members sell things online outside of the game community. For those games it gave rise to 'gold farmers' and such. I'd rather this community not be complicated in that way.

I am sorry for those who cannot pay but there are many other things others cannot buy or pay for that they would love to have. I would love to have a lot of things I can't afford, but, I don't expect those companies to give them to me on sweat equity. What I have in this game, I make sacrifices in many other ways to afford, and it's at a time later in life than most. At the age many are who play this game I wouldn't have been able to afford what I can in much later life, when I've had more chance to save up.

There will be similar things once those younger people reach the same part of life, that they will have that younger folks won't. And so it goes.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

Quoting this part to reply to (I think you meant "whether" rather than "weirder?"

Well you have just stated outright that you only care about what you want. Stated outright that you don't care about other players. Stated outright that you don't care if KI makes less money. Stated that you find it unfair that the only way to get things is to pay money. Well that's true of most things we need in life? We have to work and pay for them with money. Store are built on cash not on sweat equity or barter. That is just how it is. A game is a want not a need. If you were complaining about not having food or heat I'd be sympathetic but playing a video game is an option most in the world do not and might never have. We all should feel blessed we are on this side of the digital divide i.e. we have a computer and enough leisure time to even consider playing a video game on a regular basis.

You stated that people would still buy from KI. Why would they? Do you not think this other third party economy or marketplace would compete with prices?!

The whole topic seems to be about "It isn't fair that I have to buy what I want." SMH Well that's just how life works though? Once we get out into the real world as adults we find out we can't have what we want all the time and are often lucky to get what we actually need.

From your post: "Fairness wise I don't care weirder or not it's fare for players who played a long time. I also played wizard101 from second year it launched. To me I don't care if king isle makes a bit less money, I care about item equality that the game lacks. Wizard101 is buy to win already with the pets, potions, gear and packs. It is unfair already for players who have no way to obtain the items without spending money.:

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Trading re-agents in game might not be a bad idea (I can't see a downside to that but maybe more experienced players can.) But trading it for a membership? I think it is a bad idea.
It's just a fact of life that there are things you can't afford in childhood and youth that you can opt for in later life. But even in later life there are priorities and by then you might have children who might need that money for their own daily needs. There's always someone who has more than we do in life. Trick is to focus on what we have and not what we want and can't get.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Robobot1747 on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
If KI wanted those items to be able to be bought for money outright, why wouldn't they sell the items themselves?

Also the process of a player buying a membership for another player and then trading it for 100 Titanium or whatever seems cumbersome. You're also leaving out the fact that in many trades one player gets cheated. Imagine the outcry if one member paid for a membership for another member, and then got nothing.

Also, it could get into a weird area if an adult bought a membership for some other person's child, for any reason.

It also still relies upon some people paying and some people not, and would create a third party economy. It could lead to a lot of messy situations.

Why do you feel it is fair for one person to pay "real money" to KI and another not?

Defender
May 23, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Apr 29, 2017 wrote:
What makes you think players are going to buy extra through the Crowns shop (since that is the only other way KI makes money outside of memberships) just to trade to someone else in the game? Some players may actually be financially able to do this but not many can or will. Players like myself who are on a fixed or limited income can not afford to spend the extra. Most who play this game are not going to spend the extra and parents are not going to give their kids the options to add more purchases to their credit cards.

Not only that, NOTHING other than Treasure Cards (Not All) can be traded in game except through your own wizards on the same account. That is not going to change so therefore, the idea makes no sense.

"""Fairness wise I don't care weirder or not it's fare for players who played a long time."""

Weirder? I am assuming you meant "whether"? That comment isn't acceptable. If the game is not fair then why play?

There is a way to obtain most items in the game. Farming is what most of us do including those of us who maintain membership. I don't buy gear from crowns shop, I do occasionally buy a few packs but even those I limit to about 5 per account. I have managed to get a few pieces of crowns gear through those packs but most of my gear is through quest drops. If and when I do farm, it is for materials or gear that I need. If I have something I can't use, I will either sell it at the Bazaar if possible or feed it to my pets.

This is only a game and it is not other players responsibility to make sure others have membership. The 2 ways to have access to content is through membership or as a crowns player.
Luke's idea isn't redundant or terrible. In fact's it's a great idea for the right structure. Mmoprgs that are completely free with full access to the game for all players suit Luke's idea perfectly. Usually, these games offer premium or V.I.P status for real money. Because you get full access for free, these V.I.P passes, cards or something similar can be purchased or traded from other players for other premium items. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in W101 because you have to pay to experience the entire game. It has nothing to do with fairness.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
DragonLady1818 on Apr 29, 2017 wrote:
Why should any member buy an item to sell/trade to another player that can be redeemed for membership? That is like asking someone to "Fund" another persons game play and that isn't right or fair. Most players who pay for memberships aren't going to waste money in that fashion.

You may want to go back and read my post. I did not call you or anyone else lazy. But I did say, players need to earn what is available in the game.

The idea that has been proposed actually leaves the community open to more scamming by those who just don't want to spend their own money to play or buy what they want. The scams that have been attempted in this game have caused many to actually lose their accounts because of them giving out personal information. I can see this idea going down that same road.
Let's just say I like to play Wizard, but I hate farming. I really want that Darkmoor gear so I can go PvP, but I lack the time and/or will to farm. Maybe there's someone else who has extras, or actually likes to run Darkmoor, but needs membership (either Darkmoor is unlocked or their membership is ending soon). I can pay this person a membership token if they give me items from Darkmoor. You act like that's so unfair. Is it unfair for me to pay someone else to cut my lawn if I do not wish to or cannot? Am I just "funding" their life? What's the difference here? I'm trading time for (an in-game item worth) money.

You didn't, but someone else did and you said that wasn't attacking me.

Simple fix: make orders for it viewable in the bazaar. I go up to Elik, look through a list of items, put my item up for someone else's (i.e. I have Malistaire's death hood, and I will trade it for a membership token) and anyone who uses that order will give me a membership token and recieve Malistaire's death hood. I don't even have to be online.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Robobot1747 on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
Let's just say I like to play Wizard, but I hate farming. I really want that Darkmoor gear so I can go PvP, but I lack the time and/or will to farm. Maybe there's someone else who has extras, or actually likes to run Darkmoor, but needs membership (either Darkmoor is unlocked or their membership is ending soon). I can pay this person a membership token if they give me items from Darkmoor. You act like that's so unfair. Is it unfair for me to pay someone else to cut my lawn if I do not wish to or cannot? Am I just "funding" their life? What's the difference here? I'm trading time for (an in-game item worth) money.

You didn't, but someone else did and you said that wasn't attacking me.

Simple fix: make orders for it viewable in the bazaar. I go up to Elik, look through a list of items, put my item up for someone else's (i.e. I have Malistaire's death hood, and I will trade it for a membership token) and anyone who uses that order will give me a membership token and recieve Malistaire's death hood. I don't even have to be online.
Jumping in to comment as regards the lawn mowing example.

In your example you are paying cash, not bartering.

So it is not a direct analogy for your game proposal for Wizard 101.

Can you not see it would create a third party marketplace? It would because it would seem to be approved and encouraged by the game, to barter goods for services. Also since many in this game are children, under 18 or even under 12, there is an issue regarding 'child labor' and therefore exploitation of children.

Paying a child to babysit or to pull weeds from your lawn is a grey area that isn't policed in real life but a game company is a corporation and must be very very careful what it is seen to (even seem to) encourage.

It would be like this: A marketplace message board would pop up, in which someone would advertise "Will pay two months' membership in a gift card for 100 Titanium" and then someone else would pop up with "will pay three months' membership in a gift card for 100 Titanium" and pretty soon you have rock bottom prices or you have overpaid prices. Both would mess with the prices set in the bazaar by Kings Isle.

Then as stated before you would also see people ripped off, their labor and goods taken but without any recompense, as happens now with treasure card trades.

If Kings Isle wanted to sell packs of 100 Titanium they would. For reasons they know much better than I, so reasons I do not criticize, they don't (so far.)

Your analogy would be more like an adult giving a kid a can of beer or some other thing he or she really wants but can't get on his/her own, in trade for mowing the adult's lawn. It just brings the game into a whole different playing field, pun intended.

There will always be someone who wants something but does not want to work for it nor pay for it. (I'm not saying that's you.) I say 'keep the game simple.' You don't seem open to anyone's counterpoints btw.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
TPG Miserie on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
Luke's idea isn't redundant or terrible. In fact's it's a great idea for the right structure. Mmoprgs that are completely free with full access to the game for all players suit Luke's idea perfectly. Usually, these games offer premium or V.I.P status for real money. Because you get full access for free, these V.I.P passes, cards or something similar can be purchased or traded from other players for other premium items. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in W101 because you have to pay to experience the entire game. It has nothing to do with fairness.
Question: Do those games allow players under the age of 18?

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
Robot did a better way to explain it then I did but yes that is the main idea. To me people will always argue and bark at this idea, but I believe this idea will help a lot more then people will not like it. REmember the people who apposite this idea are people who have a monopoly in game. New players are who game should be focused on. Not old players. This would help a lot of players. Old players can bark all they want.