Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ok I am daft please explain how this works?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 16, 2014
ok I went thru the totorial but I still don't get how this works. Every time I try using the cards it says wrong monster type? The only monsters I can get anything from are the level one ghosts from the totorial? Please help. Explain it to me like I'm 5 cuz I'm so confused right now on how this works. Thanks.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Pyle1197 on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
ok I went thru the totorial but I still don't get how this works. Every time I try using the cards it says wrong monster type? The only monsters I can get anything from are the level one ghosts from the totorial? Please help. Explain it to me like I'm 5 cuz I'm so confused right now on how this works. Thanks.
It depends on Monster type. You can only extract on Undead. If that is the spell you are using. Undead are like ghost ghouls skeletons and zombies. That means it won't work on things like elves and fairies and gobblers. (They will need their own extract animus spell. ) If you are unsure if something is undead or not you can look it up on the wiki. They tell you creature types. If that still don't work ask about the particular creature. And we will lovingly explain that it is or is not an undead.

P. S. You can unlock new extract spells currently by visiting Avalon, Azteca and Polaris. However they are currently limited and will do you no good, unless your Monstology Rank is the creature rank. Basically don't worry about all this till you read the message boards etc. and feel comfortable with a 9 year old explaination. Hopefully the first part helps!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I don't really understand it either. I read the tutorial more than once.

I think it has to be the same school?

The first card has a myth school symbol on it.

I think the first card worked on myth school cards up to 2 or 3 pips?

I don't know how to put the monsters into the monstrodome.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2016
All I know is that you can get them from most Wizard City bosses. Sorry, I am not an expert.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
Ok, so the extract animus spell you get to start with is extract animus undead. This spell only works on undead enemies such as lost souls. All other monster types will not be affected by that spell. So what you want to do is find an undead enemy and use the enchanted spells on them. Currently, there is a spell for Undead, Wyrms, Parrots, and Polar Bears. Only these groups can be gathered from until new spells are released.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
It is confusing, but believe it or not, the confusion was much worse during test realm!

Basically, from the beginning of your monstrology career until you reach Avalon, the only type of Animus you will be able to collect is from UNDEAD creatures. Dworgyn explained that this means, anything that once was alive and is now dead. Skeletons, ghouls, ghosts, banshees, wraiths, rotting fodders, etc. Also, to my surprise, the scarecrows can be collected. In Wizard City, it's the creepy dead things you can collect, no matter what school they are.

In Krok, it's the dead ghost-like kroks like you find in tombs and most of the main boss dungeons. The Ahnics, the Djeserits, the Keepers of the Fang, the various dead kings whose tombs you raid, etc.

In Marleybone I haven't figured it out yet, LOL. It looks like most of the undead creatures there are connected to Malestaire and are mainly found in Newgate Prison, the Warehouse, and Big Ben.

In Mooshu, most of the creatures in the Village of Sorrow, Ancient Burial Grounds and Tree of Life can be collected. But, not any of the oni.

Pretty much everyone in Dragonspyre is a ghost, but not everyone is. If they're sort of see-through or obviously 'dead,' then you probably can collect. The human-looking soldiers are hit or miss. You can't collect most spiders, golems, elementals or dragons with Undead Animus.

Bottom line, anything cute, fuzzy, furry, mechanical, made of stone or wood ... can NOT be collected.

Duelist101 has a very comprehensive guide to collecting Undead from Wizard City up through Dragonspyre.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-articles/monstrology-creatures-list-part-one/#comment-58275

Another post to follow....

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Continuing from previous post...

At Avalon you can train to begin collecting 'Wyrms,' which are dragon types. Any flying dragon types you can collect but you have to use the Wyrm spell and not the Undead one. This spell does allow you to go back and collect the dragons flying around the Forum in Dragonspyre.

The next thing to know is gaining experience.

You start at level 1. You can find this by looking in your spell book under the character page, where activities such as fishing and gardening are shown. In order to collect animus, you must be about the same level as the undead creature you're fighting. It tells you right over their heads what levels they are. Pretty much every creature in Wizard City is level 1 or 2, so getting animus from them is actually very easy once you catch on to who you can collect from.

Every battle where you collect animus will get you experience points. Once you reach level 3-4, you can easily collect from any undead in Wizard City and Krok.

When I first got started, I wanted to collect Lady Blackhope in Unicorn way. I fought her over and over in order to collect enough animus to make a house guest (about 30 is needed). It took about 12 fights to get that much. Most fights I got 2 or 3 animus out of her, plus another 2 or 3 from the Skeletal Corsair beside her. So, every battle was netting me 4-6 Monstrology experience. I was level 3 by the time I collected what I wanted from her.

Next stop was collecting Field Guards in Triton Avenue/Haunted Cave. I was level 4 or 5 by the time I got done with them, and routinely collecting 3 animus per creature, per battle. Next I went to Mooshu and leveled even faster because of fighting 2 Cursed Ronin at once. It didn't take long before I was ready for Dragonspyre.

So.

The main trick is knowing who to fight. Now that you know who to fight, let's quickly turn to strategies for leveling up quickly.

And I'm running out of room again....

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
...Last post, I swear!

To level up in Monstrology experience, you have to fight and collect a LOT of animus. Just look around and set your goals: do you want house guests, or treasure cards? (House guests are like pets and wander your house. Treasure cards can be used in battle like minions, or you can put them in your Monsterdome and fight them again.)

Duelist101's guide is a huge help for this part - he tells who the undead are, where they are, and how much animus to collect. See the link above.

Create a small spell deck and name it Monster. For Wizard City, put in a couple of low level attack spells, and any low level AoE that you have (Sandstorm, Blizzard, etc.). Put in the Animus spells, at least 3-4. Keep the decks small and uncluttered - you're going to be fighting a LOT and having all the cards you need come up quickly will help speed the process along. A couple of blades, couple of traps, couple of damage, and a couple of animus. That's it.

In battle, you enchant your attack spell with the animus in the same way you'd enchant it with a buffer or pierce spell. Click on animus spell, click on attack spell, watch them meld together. Select an undead to attack and you will see a black 'monster' icon flash. That means you CAN collect from him (or her). If you don't see that little black icon, it's not considered undead. Don't bother fighting them again.

You can collect animus when hitting a creature, and again when you kill it with an animus-enchanted spell. You must win the battle to keep what you collect. You can double the collection by hitting 2 or more creatures with an animus enchanted AoE.

And, you can triple the animus you collect by spending Crowns (150) for the Triple Experience Elixir. Instead of 2-3, you collect 6-9 from each undead creature. This can save you HOURS and is well worth the money if you have a few crowns to spare.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
I don't really understand it either. I read the tutorial more than once.

I think it has to be the same school?

The first card has a myth school symbol on it.

I think the first card worked on myth school cards up to 2 or 3 pips?

I don't know how to put the monsters into the monstrodome.
To add monsters to the monstrodome, collect enough animus to make a treasure card. For the early monsters, it's usually 15-20 animus. Create the treasure card by going to the animus page in your spellbook.

In your home, place the monstrodome and click on it the same way you would if it was a music player and you have a scroll to add; or, like adding seeds to the seed vault. You'll see an option to add your monster treasure cards to the dome.

Once you put those Summon Monster treasure cards in, you can't remove them except by erasing them (which permanently destroys the card). Until you erase them, the monsters remain inside the dome and you can fight them over and over. I didn't notice any drops from those battles, but did get a slight bit of regular battle experience.

The Undead Animus enchantment spell is Myth school, but it works on every regularly trained damage spell no matter what school. It will not work on item cards that come with pets, amulets or other gear - only regularly trained spells. You click on the animus, then the damage spell to enchant them (they meld together).

To collect undead animus, you just have to fight something that is ... dead. ish. And then hit it with an Undead Animus-enchanted damage spell. If it looks like it would be featured during Halloween, it's probably collectible as an "undead" monster. School type doesn't matter, only whether it's a dead creepy thing, or a ghost. Case in point: Lady Blackhope. She's a ghost on Unicorn Way who is Life school. But she is collectible. Same with Wormguts, Foulgaze (Death), rotting fodders (Storm) and skeletal pirates (Ice).

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Jan 30, 2015
Do you have any idea why I'm not getting experience at level 9? I seem stuck at 0/250 at level 9. I'm still collecting Animus, but no experience towards next level.
Thanks!

Hero
May 02, 2009
markopolo100 on Apr 17, 2017 wrote:
Do you have any idea why I'm not getting experience at level 9? I seem stuck at 0/250 at level 9. I'm still collecting Animus, but no experience towards next level.
Thanks!
If you're fighting lv.1 or 2 enemies then you won't get xp. Basically this is in place to encourage players to fight the higher leveled enemies for their Monstrology adventures.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2010
When completing the Monstrology quest you will get the spell to extract animus from undead. This spell extracts animus from ONLY undead creatures. When you enchant an attack spell during battle and click on it, an icon will appear by the name of the creature at the top of the screen by their health and name status that will flash in and out. This indicates that the creature is of the appropriate classification and you can extract animus from it. However if you cannon extract animus from that creature then that means it is not classified by the extract spell you used on the card (Ex. If the the creature is not truly undead then an icon will not flash by their name), meaning you cannot receive animus. Also, when attempting to extract, there is still a chance that extraction will fail so you aren't always guaranteed a 100% extraction. The higher the rank of the creature, the harder it will be to get animus from it, depending on your own Monstrology rank. After you extract animus, strangely you won't always earn Monstrology EXP points (whether this is a bug or not is not known by me). ONE MORE THING! Just because a creature appears undead does not mean it is truly undead. For a list of undead creatures you can visit the Wizard101 or simply google the list of undead creatures.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
As a correction to the above, there are a few wyrms in DS that can be extracted, they all look like dragons!

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
Freshta on Apr 15, 2017 wrote:
It is confusing, but believe it or not, the confusion was much worse during test realm!

Basically, from the beginning of your monstrology career until you reach Avalon, the only type of Animus you will be able to collect is from UNDEAD creatures. Dworgyn explained that this means, anything that once was alive and is now dead. Skeletons, ghouls, ghosts, banshees, wraiths, rotting fodders, etc. Also, to my surprise, the scarecrows can be collected. In Wizard City, it's the creepy dead things you can collect, no matter what school they are.

In Krok, it's the dead ghost-like kroks like you find in tombs and most of the main boss dungeons. The Ahnics, the Djeserits, the Keepers of the Fang, the various dead kings whose tombs you raid, etc.

In Marleybone I haven't figured it out yet, LOL. It looks like most of the undead creatures there are connected to Malestaire and are mainly found in Newgate Prison, the Warehouse, and Big Ben.

In Mooshu, most of the creatures in the Village of Sorrow, Ancient Burial Grounds and Tree of Life can be collected. But, not any of the oni.

Pretty much everyone in Dragonspyre is a ghost, but not everyone is. If they're sort of see-through or obviously 'dead,' then you probably can collect. The human-looking soldiers are hit or miss. You can't collect most spiders, golems, elementals or dragons with Undead Animus.

Bottom line, anything cute, fuzzy, furry, mechanical, made of stone or wood ... can NOT be collected.

Duelist101 has a very comprehensive guide to collecting Undead from Wizard City up through Dragonspyre.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-articles/monstrology-creatures-list-part-one/#comment-58275

Another post to follow....

Alia Misthaven
thank you for this link to this website

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
my problem is that I can only have 5 different monsters, all the low lvl ones you start with in wizard city, I'm in mooshu now and can collect animus from the undead there but they don't show up in my list.I don't want the lvl1 lost souls lol, I want something higher.Do you understand what I am trying to say? and is there any way to get rid of the low lvl ones?
Thanks, Paws

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
pawpaws on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
my problem is that I can only have 5 different monsters, all the low lvl ones you start with in wizard city, I'm in mooshu now and can collect animus from the undead there but they don't show up in my list.I don't want the lvl1 lost souls lol, I want something higher.Do you understand what I am trying to say? and is there any way to get rid of the low lvl ones?
Thanks, Paws
At the top left of your monstrology page, there will be tabs showing each of the spiral worlds you've collected monster animus from. All creatures from Mooshu should be found under the Mooshu tab.

Alia Misthaven