Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

IS the Critical system outdated?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
I personally think that the critical system in the game is terrible. I have some of the top gear for my myth character is level 119 and I have terrible critical chance. For instance I have these pieces of gear.
1. Krokopatra Wonder Fez
2. Bonesmasher Robe of Dreams
3. Kan Davasi Victor Grieves
4. Eye of the Soothsayer (+100)
5. Dirk of Dimwood Vale
6. Relic of the Shadow Palace
7. Alpha and Omega ring
8. And my pet that gives me 22 critical rating, 5% accuracy, 4% universal resist, and 3% myth damage (pretty bad pet I know, havent had time to train a new one).

But still with all of those top tier gear I only get 35% percent critical chance? and only 35% block chance? Thats just not right. I understand myth shouldn't crit as often as say storm or fire but 35%? I feel like I am being robbed by Kingsisle here. It should at least be around 50% I would think. I am almost max level for goodness sake. How am I supposed to beat some of the tougher bosses when I am soloing and can barely critical? I am not sure what percentages are like for fire and storm anymore since they have changed the critical system quite a few times. Last I knew storms could crit 100% of the time if they had good gear and pets and fire at least 80 to 90% of the time. But I am still just stuck right here. Lvl 119 Myth, with 35% crit. Thoughts?

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I agree the critical system is horrible in its current form.

I think the biggest problem is the whole diminishing returns as you level thing. If you have a 50% chance at 60 you should not with the same gear only have a 40% chance at 70 against the same monster (I know the numbers are off, its the sentiment that matters)...it just doesn't make sense.

Second there should be some level/rank component in the calculation where like level opponents have a base critical/block chance and then as the comparison shifts the higher level gets bonus to their blocks/crit chance while the lower level gets penalties.

Third, there should be NO 100% crit chance...period. If you crit every time it should just be normal damage...there is no point when anyone can get gear that makes critical hits more frequent than regular hits. My suggest would be at the least to make critical chance go up after each regular hit until you critical...then have it drop down to base chance. Make critical gear improve the rate your chance increases instead of the chance of critical.

The same with blocks, each successful block drops your chance down to base block chance and it builds back up each round.

Well that is my take on it anyways. It's not likely to happen as any change to the system will provoke ire from some segment of the populace, so its probably easier to just let things stay status quo.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
My max level Death and Fire both use almost the exact gear that you do; death is 61%, fire is 59% (was a lot higher before the critical nerfing). BUT they both have triple critical pets.
I also use the critical jewels on gear, which adds a couple percent, and the high level decks that give critical as well.
Are you using those?
However, when I do solo on Mirage bosses I need to switch gear because the block is cruddy; then my critical goes way down.

I see your point.

Guess it's time to try for a better pet?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
ManlyJoe on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
I personally think that the critical system in the game is terrible. I have some of the top gear for my myth character is level 119 and I have terrible critical chance. For instance I have these pieces of gear.
1. Krokopatra Wonder Fez
2. Bonesmasher Robe of Dreams
3. Kan Davasi Victor Grieves
4. Eye of the Soothsayer (+100)
5. Dirk of Dimwood Vale
6. Relic of the Shadow Palace
7. Alpha and Omega ring
8. And my pet that gives me 22 critical rating, 5% accuracy, 4% universal resist, and 3% myth damage (pretty bad pet I know, havent had time to train a new one).

But still with all of those top tier gear I only get 35% percent critical chance? and only 35% block chance? Thats just not right. I understand myth shouldn't crit as often as say storm or fire but 35%? I feel like I am being robbed by Kingsisle here. It should at least be around 50% I would think. I am almost max level for goodness sake. How am I supposed to beat some of the tougher bosses when I am soloing and can barely critical? I am not sure what percentages are like for fire and storm anymore since they have changed the critical system quite a few times. Last I knew storms could crit 100% of the time if they had good gear and pets and fire at least 80 to 90% of the time. But I am still just stuck right here. Lvl 119 Myth, with 35% crit. Thoughts?
i wish this was 'outdated'.

unfortunately, these numbers are what kingsisle considers to be "improved" critical and block. the system was overhauled when polaris went live, and a lot of players were nerfed- my crit and block chances were both cut by more than half.

i had better stats at level 60 than i do at level 120, which is absolutely ridiculous.

-von

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
I just think that it is absolutely insane to think that anyone at level 119 should have 35% critical. I understand that pets help but they dont boost my percentage by over 20%. You should not have to grind for critical gems and better critical pets when you have to grind for the gear itself. I spent weeks trying to get the gear and then found out soon enough that it didnt help that much because my pet wasnt the greatest. Also doesnt help when you get a bad pet and no one that has a good pet will hatch to try to make yours better, hence why I dont have a triple crit and double resist pet like I would want. Its just crazy. And I agree, no one should have 100% critical, I just remember I had a couple of storm and fire friends before the nerf that had 100%. Maybe not great for pvp but it was useful against bosses. Still they need to buff critical chance a bit. Just blows my mind that with that good of gear I can only get 35% crit.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
For what a slightly different opinion is worth...

I suspect Critical was supposed to be a random bonus thing like the pet may-cast abilities. We were never meant to rely upon it or come to expect it to happen a certain percentage of the time. That's why it was so vague when KI first released it - I remember there was a number but no one knew what it actually meant.

Over time it started looking like a percentage, so people come to expect "If I have a 50% Critical rate then I should Critical every other spell." But ... KI doesn't want us thinking like that or relying on Critical as a sure thing. Their solution has been to reduce the percentage to a low enough number that Critical is still a wild card, and then they keep knocking it down as we level up so that it never surpasses 35% no matter what gear we use.

(And no, I don't like it either.)

So, to answer the original question, I don't think Critical is "outdated" so much as it was misapplied at first release ... and ever since, KingsIsle has been trying to adjust it to more of what they'd imagined it would be.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
If that was the primal purpose of critical and they have needed it down now then I see no reason in my mind to even keep it. I might as well just try to find good gear that will give me high damage and high block. If critical was not meant to be relied on it then it shouldn't truly be in the game at all to be honest. If it's supposed to be like a pet may cast then what's the point. I have a pet for instance that may cast infal. It's a great spell but I can cast that on my own if I need too. It's just an extra treat when I don't have to. Or if a pet casts a blade. I can cast one by myself if needed. It's just an extra bonus to not have to do it. You cannot cast a critical by yourself. There is not a spell for that. That's what makes it different than a pet maycast. So if it's meant to be like that then just remove the critical system as a whole. I respect your opinion but I just don't believe that KI would make it like a pet maycast because it just doesn't make sense.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Freshta on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
For what a slightly different opinion is worth...

I suspect Critical was supposed to be a random bonus thing like the pet may-cast abilities. We were never meant to rely upon it or come to expect it to happen a certain percentage of the time. That's why it was so vague when KI first released it - I remember there was a number but no one knew what it actually meant.

Over time it started looking like a percentage, so people come to expect "If I have a 50% Critical rate then I should Critical every other spell." But ... KI doesn't want us thinking like that or relying on Critical as a sure thing. Their solution has been to reduce the percentage to a low enough number that Critical is still a wild card, and then they keep knocking it down as we level up so that it never surpasses 35% no matter what gear we use.

(And no, I don't like it either.)

So, to answer the original question, I don't think Critical is "outdated" so much as it was misapplied at first release ... and ever since, KingsIsle has been trying to adjust it to more of what they'd imagined it would be.

Alia Misthaven
you nailed it, although 'misapplied' is the understatement of the year.

the thing is, most players who built setups around the old system didn't bank on critical (unless you were fire or storm)... i, for one, criticaled so rarely that i relied mostly on defensive stats like block (things that are necessary for soloing).

now that my block is less than 50 percent of what it was, all of my gear and the setup i spent 100 levels/6 years refining are completely useless. soloing is dead, and i find both crit and block to be so unreliable that neither is worth having.

i do agree that the implementation of this "improved" system was horrendous. they did it without any gear that "works" with it or any regard for the players who have spent years farming for "the best", only to have it rendered obsolete by this change.

as i've said before, the "improvements" were a mess in theory and a trainwreck in practice. i can't think of a single game that punishes players for leveling up, and no one should be weaker at level 120 than they were at level 60.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
What can you do to bring maximum damage, highest accuracy, greatest wizard school resistance, best blocking, superior stun resistance, fantastic healing in and out; and more for your wizards?

In cases where it's not possible to achieve a higher rating in one area such as with the chance of critical success, I focus on everything else that can be maxed out.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Outdated? No, but crit is no longer worth putting much effort into in most cases. Focus on improving basic stats first.