Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

an Awkward Question

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Okay, so it's kind of hard for me to picture playing with people older than me. It is a childish and stress relief game, yes. But it's hard for me to know behind a character just like mine there could be someone much older (i'm and older player).

So, the question is:

How do I know if the person is older or younger? AND. How am I supposed to play without feeling awkward?

See you in the spiral!

Alexis

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Mar 11, 2017 wrote:
Okay, so it's kind of hard for me to picture playing with people older than me. It is a childish and stress relief game, yes. But it's hard for me to know behind a character just like mine there could be someone much older (i'm and older player).

So, the question is:

How do I know if the person is older or younger? AND. How am I supposed to play without feeling awkward?

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
Treat them as you would like to be treated, don't ask if they're adult or a child. An adult player will often be more considerate, nicer and more reliable that a teen or young adult. ( Of course there are exceptions to every rule. )
Older players have the same right as you do to have fun, but this way, you're not judging on appearances; but how they act in game.
Older players are cool!
( Yes, I'm a mature player who enjoys "kid" games! )
Sabrina Shade

Defender
Apr 06, 2013

So, the question is:

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
Just don't think about it. Just play the game. :P

Alejandro

Champion
Mar 25, 2011

So, the question is:

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
It is the norm to be playing this game as an older individual, but in my opinion, that shouldn't define the content of who we are as people in life or wizards in the spiral.

It kinda stinks that some of us older wizards have been the subject of scrutiny inside as well as outside of the game. I have had more than enough experiences with friends and acquaintances that looked down on people like you and me that play games for "children".

But don't feel awkward, you're not alone!

Check out the link to this thread! Are there many older gamers playing W101?

There are hundreds if not thousands of people who play games targeted towards a young audience. But just know that these games are targeted for an audience, but made for all.

Let's all be awkward, older wizards together. And I, myself, am in my second year of college so you can get a bearing on how old I may be. Also since we're not supposed to post our ages in the Message Boards.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Nathan GreenEyes 109+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Polaris, join me!)
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Survivor
Apr 16, 2012

So, the question is:

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
The only way to really tell someones age on wizards is to just get a feel for what age group they might be in by how they behave in game.
If they are muted they are probably under 18.
If they act immature they are probably between 18-30 depending on the person of course lol
If they act civilized and mature they are probably older.
But the only way to know for sure is to just ask, respectfully of course, but some people don't feel comfortable disclosing that info.
I just play with people that I feel comfortable around and I don't know why playing with people of a different age group would make you uncomfortable anyway.
Most of the older people I have met in this game are relatives or parents of kids that play but there are also people like me who have just been playing for a long time and are now young adults that still enjoy the game haha.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Don't worry about it. Good people come in all ages. So do mean people. I've had fun with players from 8 to 80. That's one if the things i love about this game. Be nice to them & usually they will be nice to you. BUT don't assume anyone is who or what they say they are -- this is the internet -- so keep your private information secret.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
What I would suggest is to not care about it and enjoy the game. If you try then you'll find yourself not worrying about how old someone is after a while.

Like @anecorbie said, the way they act towards you is one key if you don't want to ask.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
Jeremy Thundercast... on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
The only way to really tell someones age on wizards is to just get a feel for what age group they might be in by how they behave in game.
If they are muted they are probably under 18.
If they act immature they are probably between 18-30 depending on the person of course lol
If they act civilized and mature they are probably older.
But the only way to know for sure is to just ask, respectfully of course, but some people don't feel comfortable disclosing that info.
I just play with people that I feel comfortable around and I don't know why playing with people of a different age group would make you uncomfortable anyway.
Most of the older people I have met in this game are relatives or parents of kids that play but there are also people like me who have just been playing for a long time and are now young adults that still enjoy the game haha.
I disagree that if they act civilized and mature they are probably older. There are plenty of very mature younger players out there. I find that some older players are less willing to share time because their time is more limited and they would rather do the things they want to do, which I completely understand, but it makes them less reliable when you need help with something.

To the OP, in order not to feel awkward, just focus on the game. You are enjoying playing the game regardless of your ages. That automatically gives you shared experiences. You're both wizards out to save the Spiral.

Moira Stormheart

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

So, the question is:

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
i can kind of understand where you're coming from; as an older player, i feel weird about playing with people too much younger than me... but, in the end, i'll help whoever needs it, regardless of age.

if you run into me in-game, chances are you'd never guess my age, or even my age range... as long as someone is nice to you, it shouldn't matter how old s/he is. after all, there's no way to tell.

besides, birthdays are healthy, and those who have the most live the longest.

-von "yeah, science" shadowsong

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Sometimes you know based on what they say in chat. I was with a group and they were talking about school. I just didn't participate in that conversation because I had nothing to add to it since I am past school. There will always be people who are rude in the game (of all ages), so if someone ever says anything, don't let it bother you.

Survivor
May 09, 2015

So, the question is:

See you in the spiral!

Alexis
Personally I love playing with older players because they understand my type of humour (mostly sarcasm), and they usually have a lot of experience with the game, so if I have any questions about either best gear for my level or hatching I go to them. So for me it isn't awkward because I get along better with people older than me.

Survivor
May 19, 2011
Ah don't worry about it! I would advise not thinking too much about who is older and who is not, and just to play and enjoy the game. I myself am too a young adult and don't worry about age too much.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Ask yourself why it matters to you and go from there.

I can't see why it matters, personally.

If you are treating everyone kindly, you don't have to worry about upsetting a kid, or offending a grandma. If you are not being inappropriate, you don't have to worry you just got a little weird, with a kid involved some way.

Keep it "G rated" at all times, be nice to people, and other than that, your interactions are mostly going to consist of battles. If you are here to make friends, then it could be awkward, but only if the people in the group worry about age.
Different age groups might have different "slang" words or different pastimes or interests. But maybe not. Some people are younger and some older, than their chronological age.

If you are worried about not fitting in or worried about someone thinking you are too old or too young, then don't disclose your age and don't ask anyone else their age. The rules pretty much dovetail with this by the way - the game is rated G I think, discourages inappropriate words or behavior, and does not allow numbers in most chat.

In other words stick to the game since there's no way to make sure and it will make things a lot less awkward. Surely no one plans to meet gamers outside of the game anyway - that could lead to dicey territory.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
As an older player, I really understand your quandary. For me, it all comes down to kindness. I am never rude, I help players who ask, and if someone asks, I describe myself as a "Wiz Mom." I have no idea how old any of the players on my friends list are, and honestly, their age doesn't matter. What counts is behavior, not age. :D

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I don't think there's any sure way to know someone's age but there might be clues.

Example: LOL vs lolz vs lelz.

Type of emoticons: ;-) vs XD vs purely correct, grammatical speech with proper punctuation.

Which of the many Wizard101 puns are they actually laughing at vs ones they don't get at all. For example, every one of Zeke's quests is named for a classic rock band. Older players will know that, younger kids will not.

What kind of attitude do they have towards making the killing hit? (I've noticed younger players seem to want to take the kill shot more and brag about it whereas older ones tend to be more chill and don't care.)

In the end, just relax, mind the kiddies (and the filters) and don't worry about whether you're playing with a peer, a precocious ten year old, or someone old enough to be your grandma. We're all wizards here.

Alia Misthaven