Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kingsisle Nerfed Mirage Too Hard...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2011
As someone who's played this game for over 5 years it saddens me to see an update like this i had taken a break from wizard101 and even during the break i kept an eye on updates i heard about mirage and how it was suppose to be challenging as to the other worlds and i was personally excited. and today i have come back to the game to see it has been nerfed.. And i feel it has been nerfed too hard mobs with 2k health a boss with 5k health this is just the beginning i understand but even this... thats not right i understand kids play this game but we dont need this heavy of a nerf there and MANY players like me who enjoy the challenge i see people complaining that it was too hard before the nerf and yes i can't say that it was because i couldnt experience it but from what i have seen it wasnt too hard it just added difficulty we can't expect players to increase their skill and learn strategy's when we are making the game this easy i remember going through celestia for the first time it was insane and you know what yea i got mad sometimes but i enjoyed it, i'd say celestia was when i actually got good at the game it caused me to think outside of the basic strategy. we need difficulty in this game to allow people to get better. From what i've seen before the nerf all people needed was communication if they could just get some friends to help them out it would of been fine the only reason anything at all is "hard" is because we try to solo it something we do too much, i personally solo allot but when say i first started celestia it had me communicating with friends more because i needed the help and thats what this game needs I really hate to see this game turning into a "Solo Story Mode" type of game because of how easy it has become i'm going to give a great example some of you may know and some of you may not and some of you may notlike this example. -Vanilla World of Warcraft was considered one of the hardest games of its time and its community was great people were constantly asking questions on how to do things simply because of its difficulty but over time people complained it was "too hard" most of these were new people who didnt bother to take the time to learn the game and Blizzard (The company who made the game) listen to the community but a bit too well and now everything in the game today is Solo-able the max level in that game right now is 110 and you can completely do it alone due to how hard they've nerfed EVERYTHING.

If you've actually read all of this thank you and please dont start hating on me just because i'm "complaining" i'm doing this honestly for what would be good for this game. tell me what you think below.

Brandon Storm Caster-110

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Commander Robe on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
As someone who's played this game for over 5 years it saddens me to see an update like this i had taken a break from wizard101 and even during the break i kept an eye on updates i heard about mirage and how it was suppose to be challenging as to the other worlds and i was personally excited. and today i have come back to the game to see it has been nerfed.. And i feel it has been nerfed too hard mobs with 2k health a boss with 5k health this is just the beginning i understand but even this... thats not right i understand kids play this game but we dont need this heavy of a nerf there and MANY players like me who enjoy the challenge i see people complaining that it was too hard before the nerf and yes i can't say that it was because i couldnt experience it but from what i have seen it wasnt too hard it just added difficulty we can't expect players to increase their skill and learn strategy's when we are making the game this easy i remember going through celestia for the first time it was insane and you know what yea i got mad sometimes but i enjoyed it, i'd say celestia was when i actually got good at the game it caused me to think outside of the basic strategy. we need difficulty in this game to allow people to get better. From what i've seen before the nerf all people needed was communication if they could just get some friends to help them out it would of been fine the only reason anything at all is "hard" is because we try to solo it something we do too much, i personally solo allot but when say i first started celestia it had me communicating with friends more because i needed the help and thats what this game needs I really hate to see this game turning into a "Solo Story Mode" type of game because of how easy it has become i'm going to give a great example some of you may know and some of you may not and some of you may notlike this example. -Vanilla World of Warcraft was considered one of the hardest games of its time and its community was great people were constantly asking questions on how to do things simply because of its difficulty but over time people complained it was "too hard" most of these were new people who didnt bother to take the time to learn the game and Blizzard (The company who made the game) listen to the community but a bit too well and now everything in the game today is Solo-able the max level in that game right now is 110 and you can completely do it alone due to how hard they've nerfed EVERYTHING.

If you've actually read all of this thank you and please dont start hating on me just because i'm "complaining" i'm doing this honestly for what would be good for this game. tell me what you think below.

Brandon Storm Caster-110
Yes, they have adjusted the difficulty to be much easier in some places. In test realm, HOLY MOLY!! Well let's just say, it was not what it used to be.

Now, I'm not entirely sure why KI reduced the difficulty. I'm guessing it was a mixture of complaints, and that (like you said) kids play this game too (although I can't imagine, there are many young kids playing in Mirage). Another thing it could be (and again I'm guessing) is the fact that Mirage could eventually be a "very old" world. (like Wizard City is an original 2008 survivor) In the future of this game, the new worlds are going to require more difficulty. If there were worlds that got even harder, then this game would be impossible--so in other words, if they make this world incredibly hard, then they might have to make the future worlds even harder...NO!

Also remember, the best gear is still lvl 100 gear from Darkmoor, (give or take a few pieces) so if they're going to make worlds harder, they're going to have to make better gear first, or else the gear will be outdated. (DM gear is still good for Mirage though!!)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
There was a lot of complaints about this, coming from both directions.

Lately I've been leveling up wizards in lower worlds and it's helped me realize something.

My 2 main wizards have gone through all the worlds at first release and sometimes even in test realm. Aside from the Rat (whom I will never forgive, because he made me miss Mirage when it first came out!), they've soloed just about everything when the worlds were first released and quite difficult. I can still remember some of the cheats that I struggled to get past, like that guy in Celestia where you couldn't use the same school spell twice in a row; or the other guy in Celestia that kept spawning minions every few rounds; or Morganthe in Old Avalon forcing you to use four pips or less.

Or the Jabberwocky before he was nerfed. Need I say more?

When pushing through a few 'baby wizards' I realized... A lot of those old cheaters don't cheat anymore!

There are whole generations of young wizards who started after 2014 or so and haven't had the school of hard knocks us old-timers have suffered through. All of the lower worlds have been nerfed to make getting through them easier and faster but the price they pay is lack of experience. When these 'younger' wizards finally get to Azteca, Khrysallis, Polaris and Mirage, they aren't prepared. They aren't used to the nasty fights we all slogged through.

The lack of good gear options in the last two updates is just compounding things.

For what it's worth, I agree that Mirage mobs should probably be 3K-5K in health. Their hits were potent, something needed to be done, but KI did lower them down a little bit too much. For bosses, I'd rather face intense cheats combined with lower health (15K-50K), than huge health and no cheats. Or worse: huge health and intense cheats! (That's right, Rat, I'm glaring at you.) Making the battle fast and furious is fine by me, but even I agree 5K is much too low for a boss, cheater or no.

Alia Misthaven

Champion
Mar 25, 2011

Brandon Storm Caster-110
I was a little sad as well. I did the entirety of Mirage with 2 friends and I can honestly say that the challenge of enemy health made battles longer and WAY more interesting. We all enjoyed it. Now that the mobs have lower health, we are STILL enjoying it. Kingsisle may have nerfed enemy health, but enemy damage is still in effect.

Perhaps it was that the difference in difficultly from Polaris to Mirage was so large that many people were caught off guard. I think if they started giving enemies a boost in their damage in Polaris like they have in Mirage now, it would better prepare wizards FOR Mirage. Therefore, making it more comfortable to storyline through.

Just my two cents.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 80+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Commander Robe, This is a family game for all ages over 10 with different people having different strategy and playstyle. Not just those with the best strategy and the know hows. What maybe easy for you maybe difficult for others. Mirage was nerfed because of too many complaints about the world being to difficult and people were losing interest in playing. Plus no new gear from vendors were added to the game since Khrysalis. Vanessa M.( community leader) explains more in the "worlds of the spiral" message board under Mirage topic: "Mirage difficulty complaints. I believe this adjustment is good for the game Try it out and see how you like it.

"Vanilla World of Warcraft" is not "Wizard101" that game is more advanced for adult entertainment only.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

Brandon Storm Caster-110
KI only reduced the Health of the mobs. As for the Damage they can do, that WAS NOT changed. The bosses cheat so there is still plenty to deal with.

No, everything is not solo-able.

This is a family game and If KI keeps making the worlds super hard, there will only be those left who are hardcore players.

Some of the BEST came to these forums and let KI know that even though they were able to traverse Mirage and all it's original challenges, they also knew that the majority of the community could not.

Players are tired of grinding away farming in dungeons for the best gear for long periods of time and still getting nothing. The gear drops have become so low, that many have had enough and if they can't play with what they have managed to acquire, then sooner or later they are going to quit. Players don't want to keep shelling out hard earned money when the game has thrown a brick wall in their face.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
I still hope that eventually, they will start to ease into more difficulty. I would love for them to start turning the game status toward the older audience (but still safe for younger eyes).

I think its far enough into the game where it can kind of be PG13 (or in game world T for teens).

Survivor
Jan 02, 2011
Patrick Ravenbane on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Commander Robe, This is a family game for all ages over 10 with different people having different strategy and playstyle. Not just those with the best strategy and the know hows. What maybe easy for you maybe difficult for others. Mirage was nerfed because of too many complaints about the world being to difficult and people were losing interest in playing. Plus no new gear from vendors were added to the game since Khrysalis. Vanessa M.( community leader) explains more in the "worlds of the spiral" message board under Mirage topic: "Mirage difficulty complaints. I believe this adjustment is good for the game Try it out and see how you like it.

"Vanilla World of Warcraft" is not "Wizard101" that game is more advanced for adult entertainment only.
Alright 2 things, I know this isnt "Vanilla World of Warcraft" i was not comparing them in anyway game wise i was simply telling you how blizzard handled their game and how it relates to what Kingsisle is doing. and secondly Buying Gear from vendors is horrible you're the second person to say that their hasnt been any new gear vendors since khrysalis and what i dont understand is why dont people just farm for Waterworks gear/Darkmoor gear the gear is MUCH better and can/will get you through mirage even with the way it was before. (maybe not its first version but after its first nerf)

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
The street mobs should have more health than they originally had, maybe 20,000 on the high end, and lower damage instead (especially with the natural attacks).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Blaze03554 on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
I still hope that eventually, they will start to ease into more difficulty. I would love for them to start turning the game status toward the older audience (but still safe for younger eyes).

I think its far enough into the game where it can kind of be PG13 (or in game world T for teens).

KI can't change the status. This game is rated E10+ which means EVERYONE 10 years and older. If it becomes more geared to older players, they loose that rating and a lot more. In other words, no one will be playing because KI can loose all licensing.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Commander Robe on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Alright 2 things, I know this isnt "Vanilla World of Warcraft" i was not comparing them in anyway game wise i was simply telling you how blizzard handled their game and how it relates to what Kingsisle is doing. and secondly Buying Gear from vendors is horrible you're the second person to say that their hasnt been any new gear vendors since khrysalis and what i dont understand is why dont people just farm for Waterworks gear/Darkmoor gear the gear is MUCH better and can/will get you through mirage even with the way it was before. (maybe not its first version but after its first nerf)
Actually, you did make the comparison. KI is not Blizzard and their game is not this one. This is a FAMILY game and as such, the YoYo effect of easy to extreme is creating some issues. I don't have a problem with there being side Dungeons for those who enjoy as hard a challenge as they can get but the main story should not be that difficult.

Have you not been reading posts on Here and other fan sites? Players are tired of FARMING till they are brain numb trying to get the gear from any of those dungeons. If you haven't received at least one piece of the top gear within 10 runs, then what is the point. WW when released, all 3 of my biggest wizards had ALL the level 60 gear within 10 runs. Now, it takes a lot more than that for most just to get a single piece. Players who have been farming Darkmoor are getting very frustrated because the drop rates are so low, they finally give it up and just play with what they have or quit.

ONLY the hardcore players keep going regardless of how long it takes.

As for the gear vendors, the gear they sell usually isn't all that good, but in many cases, it may be better that what a player may have as their best. In that case, they really have no choice if they want to continue with the game. The gear needs to be available to all to acquire within reason.

Crafting gear has become a struggle for many as well since some of the requirements are next to impossible to get. Potent Trap is a good example of that. Some get it the first time they battle the right boss and others never get it no matter how hard they try or how many bosses they farm for it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
sKochiya on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
The street mobs should have more health than they originally had, maybe 20,000 on the high end, and lower damage instead (especially with the natural attacks).
Street mobs are not bosses and should NEVER have 20,000 health. The health level from the previous world to Mirage was double to triple.

The biggest issue was the amount of damage they could do with wands or natural attacks and that was not changed.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010

Brandon Storm Caster-110
This game had always been soloable, right up until the Rat. Those of us who play solo played this game all the way through because it offered us a gaming experience we enjoyed, more or less. Now all of a sudden everybody comes out of the woodwork telling us we're not welcome here anymore. That we should get lost, and KI should just make a game for people who want to play in full teams with the best gear from the hardest dungeons that not everybody is getting.

What's the deal?

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I've said it in other places, but I'll say it again - KingsIsle is and always will be doing whatever they can to keep the game running. Wizard101 has added many worlds (as we all know), and developers are aware of how many people finish each world, how long it takes them, etc...

I personally liked Mirage's original challenge, but I think it's evident that feeling wan't universal. If enough people finished Mirage or KI thought they were on track to doing so (using past world benchmarks), KingsIsle would have had no reason to nerf the world. The fact that KingsIsle did nerf it, and that soon, leads me to believe that the number of people who completed pre-nerf Mirage wasn't very high.

I agree that the extent of the nerf was a bit much - I personally would have preferred a less significant drop.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Commander Robe on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
I was wondering if you have read any previous board posts. There are many many many many posts about WHY people don't or can't farm for the best gear. Not understanding why people do not farm shows me that you might want to read up on the plethora of posts related to Mirage ... the gear, the complaints, the lack of crafting, opinions, etc.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Okay, I agree that the nerf was too much. I think they should have just let it be. But a part of me says that it's perfect the way it is now.

Wizard101 is targeted towards the younger generation which pretty much answers the question to why KI nerfed the world.

And take it this way, before:

Mobs had health anywhere between 2000-9000
They could deal anywhere between 1000-4000 damage with a natural attack.

Now:
Health anywhere between 2000-6000
Damage, critical all remains the same.

Having mobs be on the level of your wizard makes the game so much more exciting.
But these mobs also beat Ice wizards health-wise.

Some mobs even had the power to wield Shadow Magic. Huge advancement.

Also, having a world that's difficult only encourages players who want to have that title of beating the game to team up with other players. There's always more room for friendships! :)

Survivor
Apr 19, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
I was wondering if you have read any previous board posts. There are many many many many posts about WHY people don't or can't farm for the best gear. Not understanding why people do not farm shows me that you might want to read up on the plethora of posts related to Mirage ... the gear, the complaints, the lack of crafting, opinions, etc.
There is absolutely NO reason someone can not farm for gear or at the very least craft gear to help them. Membership is not an excuse because you couldn't get to these worlds without one anyway. If people want to be "casual" players then they are welcome to "casually" not have good stats. Putting in time and effort to work on your pets and gear so that you can have more fun and face bigger challenges is the whole point.

If someone doesn't want the game to be challenging then stick to pvp or gossiping in the commons.

There is no excuse to complain about those who put more work in than you have.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jared Darkshield on Mar 16, 2017 wrote:
There is absolutely NO reason someone can not farm for gear or at the very least craft gear to help them. Membership is not an excuse because you couldn't get to these worlds without one anyway. If people want to be "casual" players then they are welcome to "casually" not have good stats. Putting in time and effort to work on your pets and gear so that you can have more fun and face bigger challenges is the whole point.

If someone doesn't want the game to be challenging then stick to pvp or gossiping in the commons.

You apparently have not read many posts about farming and crafting. The drop rates are so low they may as well be ZERO. Once you get to AZ, if you do not complete the crafting quest there which requires the "POTENT TRAP" you cannot craft any gear from there on.

Your understanding of "casual" players is lacking considerably. Most don't have the time to farm for the best or train pets. There are other players who have and do help many with both. Those "Perfect Pets" are not the easiest to get and does take a lot of work. Many only have a little time to work on them. But regardless, it doesn't mean they don't want to have good stats or pets.

Membership is NOT REQUIRED to reach all worlds. There is such a thing as "CROWNS PLAYERS" But even so, not all can afford to spend that amount of real money but, it doesn't mean they don't want the same as everyone else.

There is a difference in Challenges and down right impossible for some players. Just because some are now complaining the Health of the mobs is too low, they are not looking at the fact those same mobs can STILL do the same amount of damage as before the nerf.

The complaints are not about those who have put more work in. The complaints have been directed more to the fact that a large portion of the target audience "Family and Kids" have had a very difficult time playing and advancing. For a game that was advertised as a "Casual family" game, it has gone way beyond that too fast.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

Oh, yes, I almost forgot.

There is nothing casual about PvP. So that was not a good suggestion.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

Both of these activities require time, often a massive amount of time. Maybe some parents are ok with letting their children spend hours on the computer ( it gets the little darlings outta their hair ) I know some parent are absolutely NOT "ok" with that, and limit the amount of time their children can play.
Then there are the adult players, if they work, are married and have kids; this also cuts down on their play time. This is what's meant as "casual" players.
There's absolutely NO reason to blame players who don't have the TIME for farming gear or farming for reagents to craft gear.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

Hmm. Interesting, since my post only pointed out that what the OP was complaining about has been posted many times in other threads, so I'm not sure why you decided to pick out my post to respond to.

There ARE absolute reasons why people don't/can't farm. Please be sure to read up on the multiple threads & posts in regards to that dilemma. You said, "Membership is not an excuse because you couldn't get to the worlds without one ...". I think many crowns players would disagree with you. You don't HAVE to have a membership to access worlds.

You may be mistaken as to what a casual player is. Many of your 'type' assume casual players are bad players with bad pets and bad stats and don't do anything worthwhile in the game. I can guarantee that casual players would disagree with you wholeheartedly and that would include me. I am a very very skilled casual player. I can guarantee that some of my wizards have gear stats that are better than yours, and I don't have a stitch of Darkmoor gear. I have several pets PER wizard that are max stat (all 250) with a variety of talents that I can use for battle(s).

Time and effort (into pets & gear) are relative. It's all about how a person wants to play and what they want to do. Not everyone has copious amounts of free time to slogfest through mind-numbing dungeons 100s of times just to get one piece, then spend a year to get the whole set. Some of us would like to use our brain power for other aspects of the game and not lose brain cells in doing the same thing over and over and over again while sitting hours on end running dungeons and end up having keyboard face and drooling because you just can't face running another dungeon for no reward.

My main point is, don't put people down for not slogging through dungeons. We have better things to do (like mixing and matching other gear and working on pets). You never know if that 'casual' player next to you is actually better at the game than you are.

Brynn IceBlade
aka: Super Tank Brynn

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009

Jared,
Crafted gear is NOT an option in either Polaris or Mirage.

There was no crafted gear released in the last two worlds. So those of us who relied on crafting are stuck with level 86/96 gear, while going through a level 110-120 world.

PVP is not "causal." They're about as hard-core at it gets! (Though they do have their fair share of whiners....) But seriously, PVP warlords are 1000x smarter than any A.I. They are in it to win it. If you want a challenge, then PVP is where you should be.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Apr 19, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Mar 16, 2017 wrote:
You apparently have not read many posts about farming and crafting. The drop rates are so low they may as well be ZERO. Once you get to AZ, if you do not complete the crafting quest there which requires the "POTENT TRAP" you cannot craft any gear from there on.

Your understanding of "casual" players is lacking considerably. Most don't have the time to farm for the best or train pets. There are other players who have and do help many with both. Those "Perfect Pets" are not the easiest to get and does take a lot of work. Many only have a little time to work on them. But regardless, it doesn't mean they don't want to have good stats or pets.

Membership is NOT REQUIRED to reach all worlds. There is such a thing as "CROWNS PLAYERS" But even so, not all can afford to spend that amount of real money but, it doesn't mean they don't want the same as everyone else.

There is a difference in Challenges and down right impossible for some players. Just because some are now complaining the Health of the mobs is too low, they are not looking at the fact those same mobs can STILL do the same amount of damage as before the nerf.

The complaints are not about those who have put more work in. The complaints have been directed more to the fact that a large portion of the target audience "Family and Kids" have had a very difficult time playing and advancing. For a game that was advertised as a "Casual family" game, it has gone way beyond that too fast.
Actually I have read them and my response stands! This game was developed as a social game. If you don't want to develop friendships within the game or social skills then yes you will run into issues you likely will not be able to overcome. That coupled with an unwillingness to work for the rewards within the game but expect to get what those who work hard get. I don't buy into or support this mindset.

You are FAR more passionate about this than you need to be. Put half as much effort in working for these rewards as you do in arguing for them to be easily achieved and I guarantee you will have the stats to conquer even minion battles with a mere 5-7K health.

I however am not buying what is being sold here. Life is work and sometimes fun is too.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Freshta on Mar 17, 2017 wrote:
Jared,
Crafted gear is NOT an option in either Polaris or Mirage.

There was no crafted gear released in the last two worlds. So those of us who relied on crafting are stuck with level 86/96 gear, while going through a level 110-120 world.

PVP is not "causal." They're about as hard-core at it gets! (Though they do have their fair share of whiners....) But seriously, PVP warlords are 1000x smarter than any A.I. They are in it to win it. If you want a challenge, then PVP is where you should be.

Alia Misthaven
That's the thing I don't get. This is the way this game was for years. People either played PvE to have a relatively casual, fun gaming experience, or they used it to level up for PvP where they had a tougher challenge.

PvE was never the realm of the hardcore. Now all of a sudden people will accept nothing less.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jared Darkshield on Mar 17, 2017 wrote:
Actually I have read them and my response stands! This game was developed as a social game. If you don't want to develop friendships within the game or social skills then yes you will run into issues you likely will not be able to overcome. That coupled with an unwillingness to work for the rewards within the game but expect to get what those who work hard get. I don't buy into or support this mindset.

You are FAR more passionate about this than you need to be. Put half as much effort in working for these rewards as you do in arguing for them to be easily achieved and I guarantee you will have the stats to conquer even minion battles with a mere 5-7K health.

I however am not buying what is being sold here. Life is work and sometimes fun is too.
Players deal with social issues on a daily basis in the real world. What makes you think they should have to be socially active in a game? That is why there is also such a thing as "Social Media".

You have basically called casual players "LAZY". Many of them will and do work just as hard as you and others in this game. BUT, it gets to a point when "FARMING" for something becomes a mind numbing chore. Players have worked all day or gone to school all day and being able to come to a game like this to relax and have fun SHOULD NOT make them feel like they are back at work or school.

I am a more average player and have done quite a lot of Solo in this game as well as farming for certain items.

I have SOLOED bosses that others won't attempt without a full team and some of them were cheating bosses with a lot more than 5-7k health. There are instances with 2 bosses with 25k health each. I soloed and if you soloed them then I give you credit, but if you didn't, then please stop saying players are unwilling to work. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

I garden, hatch and train pets, and craft. Those things alone takes a lot of time and effort. A large number of those you seem to think are unwilling do the same thing.

I also RESEARCH most of what is dropped and if it doesn't work for me, I am NOT wasting time farming for it.

I have no problem defeating mobs/minions with 5-7k health. But THEIR HEALTH was the only thing that was nerfed in Mirage. Their DAMAGE was not.