Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Potent Trap Treasure Card

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 03, 2010
I really need help finding a reliable place to find Potent Trap TCs for the Aztecan crafting quest. I have all the ingredients, but I don't really want to do Xibalba over and over and over until I get it.

Is there an easy boss to get Potent Trap?

Cody Lighthunter, Champion Thaumaturge

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I don't know if this is much easier, but the Gladiator in Mount Olympus is where I finally got mine on my wizard that was unlucky enough to never get one through the entire world of Azteca.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I dual box and have been running my life wizard through Az with my fire wizard on second account..

I soloed most of Az with my life and not once received Potent Trap.

Running the entire world again with Fire and still have not gotten it on life but got 2 on fire.

I have also battled the Gladiator and still nothing.

I am currently gardening Alligator Pear Trees for their Ultras.

I am no longer going to farm for Potent Trap as it is one of the hardest to get for some wizards.

My life wizard also has all other ingredients that are needed to craft the Shield but tired of wasting time and getting nothing.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jan 15, 2017 wrote:
I dual box and have been running my life wizard through Az with my fire wizard on second account..

I soloed most of Az with my life and not once received Potent Trap.

Running the entire world again with Fire and still have not gotten it on life but got 2 on fire.

I have also battled the Gladiator and still nothing.

I am currently gardening Alligator Pear Trees for their Ultras.

I am no longer going to farm for Potent Trap as it is one of the hardest to get for some wizards.

My life wizard also has all other ingredients that are needed to craft the Shield but tired of wasting time and getting nothing.
Yes, it's very frustrating. I really don't know why they made it No Trade, in addition to the very low drop rate, when it's needed for a crafting quest. It'd be different if it was only needed for an ultra rare craftable item, but this was a quest recipe that stops you from moving on if you don't get it.

I was in the same boat at one point. I had multiple wizards who had more than one, and one wizard that just couldn't get it.

Survivor
May 12, 2016
The gladiator is a really good source. But you can also look at the list of foes who drop it and pick one you can knock out fast. If you are on your life wizard you have in your signature look toward the death bosses. Here's the list of who drops them.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/TreasureCard:Potent_Trap

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
High Five Ghost on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
Yes, it's very frustrating. I really don't know why they made it No Trade, in addition to the very low drop rate, when it's needed for a crafting quest. It'd be different if it was only needed for an ultra rare craftable item, but this was a quest recipe that stops you from moving on if you don't get it.

I was in the same boat at one point. I had multiple wizards who had more than one, and one wizard that just couldn't get it.
The really bad thing about not getting Potent Trap is the fact that my Life wizard needs to be able to craft newer upgraded gear. Now she can't and any other wizard on the same account can't buy the recipes for said wizard.

I can understand to some extent making it No Trade and No Auction because of passing it off to those who have not yet earned it or actually quested for it. I do think the drop rate is a bit ridiculous. No one should have to beat their head against a wall for any item needed for crafting.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
grumpy073 on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
The gladiator is a really good source. But you can also look at the list of foes who drop it and pick one you can knock out fast. If you are on your life wizard you have in your signature look toward the death bosses. Here's the list of who drops them.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/TreasureCard:Potent_Trap
I have fought the Gladiator several times and once was Solo.

I have also farmed some of those bosses and have ran all of Azteca a second time by dual boxing with my fire. So why should I continue farming until I am mind numb?

I am also a member of that site and have bookmarked that page. If my life wizard gets it now at this point ok. If not, that is ok too. I am becoming indifferent to a lot of this sort of thing. I used to farm for gear and I don't do that anymore either.

I think many are becoming indifferent to the tedious hours or more that has become required to obtain a specific item. Whether OP has the mindset to spend tedious hours farming is up to OP. I do wish him/her luck in this quest.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Gladiator and Cronus are the two I prefer to farm for Potent Trap. Cronus is actually fairly easy, and repeatable. Two of us (Balance & Fire) would beat him within 15 minutes. He drops a great athame (Blade of Felled Titan) and exalted amulets.

The Gladiator also drops Potent Traps plus a fantastic ring (Alpha & Omega), but he always took my Balance + Fire team longer to defeat.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Freshta on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
Gladiator and Cronus are the two I prefer to farm for Potent Trap. Cronus is actually fairly easy, and repeatable. Two of us (Balance & Fire) would beat him within 15 minutes. He drops a great athame (Blade of Felled Titan) and exalted amulets.

The Gladiator also drops Potent Traps plus a fantastic ring (Alpha & Omega), but he always took my Balance + Fire team longer to defeat.

Alia Misthaven
I always ran the Gladiator with Life and Fire. But, still nothing as where he is concerned.

My life is the only one that has Tartarus in her logs and is probably the only one that I will run there. That will just to get it out of her log book. This same wizard also still has the Sand Squid in her logs that she has already done. I hope by running that again, it will disappear. If it doesn't, I will ask support to fix it.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
For all seven of my wizards I farmed the myth boss found in Yacate's house which is located in the Zocola section of Azteca. It is a single fight with one boss and one minion and it is easily done solo. Plus when you finish the fight you just step out the door and start over. Also there is the convenience the mana wisps in the Zocola to make farming there that much more convenient.

Hope this helps!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
The really bad thing about not getting Potent Trap is the fact that my Life wizard needs to be able to craft newer upgraded gear. Now she can't and any other wizard on the same account can't buy the recipes for said wizard.

I can understand to some extent making it No Trade and No Auction because of passing it off to those who have not yet earned it or actually quested for it. I do think the drop rate is a bit ridiculous. No one should have to beat their head against a wall for any item needed for crafting.
I think the better solution would have been for KI to treat the Potent Trap TC the same way they did the Gargantuan TC. With Gargantuan, you can trade it and you can auction it, but you have to be level 58 to trade for it or buy it. Putting a level restriction on it is all they need to do for the Potent Trap TC in order to keep it out of the hands of "inexperienced" wizards.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
High Five Ghost on Jan 22, 2017 wrote:
I think the better solution would have been for KI to treat the Potent Trap TC the same way they did the Gargantuan TC. With Gargantuan, you can trade it and you can auction it, but you have to be level 58 to trade for it or buy it. Putting a level restriction on it is all they need to do for the Potent Trap TC in order to keep it out of the hands of "inexperienced" wizards.
"Gargantuan" is actually a No Trade. You can sell it but it is also "LEVEL" restricted. The same is true with "Unstoppable". The next set up in the Sun school, "Colossal and Extraordinary" are No Trade, No Auction. Even with these restrictions, it doesn't make sense to make a TC that is so elusive for many players.

Two of my wizards have had both Colossal and Extraordinary TC's drop several times. I end up trashing them since I already have those trained. Both wizards also have "Potent Trap" trained but one has not been able to get the TC even after running AZ twice and several runs at Gladiator. "Potent Trap" is basically already Level restricted so why does it have to be next to impossible to get.

Level restrictions is one thing but the Drop rate for Potent Trap and other items has become non-existent.

Farming for any particular item in the game should not make us feel like we are grinding as many of us have and still do on a job in the real world. Neither should all the drops in many battles be directed toward one wizard. It should be applied to all wizards in the battle. Most of the time when dual boxing, I have one wizard receive all the drops and the other gets nothing but a bit of XP and gold. Strangely, it is always the same wizard receiving the drops.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:
"Gargantuan" is actually a No Trade. You can sell it but it is also "LEVEL" restricted. The same is true with "Unstoppable". The next set up in the Sun school, "Colossal and Extraordinary" are No Trade, No Auction. Even with these restrictions, it doesn't make sense to make a TC that is so elusive for many players.

Two of my wizards have had both Colossal and Extraordinary TC's drop several times. I end up trashing them since I already have those trained. Both wizards also have "Potent Trap" trained but one has not been able to get the TC even after running AZ twice and several runs at Gladiator. "Potent Trap" is basically already Level restricted so why does it have to be next to impossible to get.

Level restrictions is one thing but the Drop rate for Potent Trap and other items has become non-existent.

Farming for any particular item in the game should not make us feel like we are grinding as many of us have and still do on a job in the real world. Neither should all the drops in many battles be directed toward one wizard. It should be applied to all wizards in the battle. Most of the time when dual boxing, I have one wizard receive all the drops and the other gets nothing but a bit of XP and gold. Strangely, it is always the same wizard receiving the drops.
Hmm, I wonder if they changed Gargantuan, or if I'm just thinking of something else. It's been years since I've used Garganutan, but I thought I had traded it to other wizards between my two accounts in the past. It's not really important, it just has me thinking now.

Like you, I have gotten multiple Potent Trap TC's with many of my wizards, but one of them just couldn't seem to get it. I did eventually get it, but it took a lot more work and time than it did with my other 11 wizards.

But while the drop rates and luck may be low, at least having the option to trade or auction the card would give you the option for that one in twelve wizard with rotten luck an opportunity to get that card from someone who happened to have relatively good luck who just wants to help.

I have no need for the extra Potent Trap TC's I wound up with, I would gladly sell them at the Bazaar to help others advance their crafting level. It's why I sell my Deer Knight, Goat Monk, Ninja Pig, and other TC's needed for crafting those spells that I've already crafted.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
High Five Ghost on Jan 25, 2017 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if they changed Gargantuan, or if I'm just thinking of something else. It's been years since I've used Garganutan, but I thought I had traded it to other wizards between my two accounts in the past. It's not really important, it just has me thinking now.

Like you, I have gotten multiple Potent Trap TC's with many of my wizards, but one of them just couldn't seem to get it. I did eventually get it, but it took a lot more work and time than it did with my other 11 wizards.

But while the drop rates and luck may be low, at least having the option to trade or auction the card would give you the option for that one in twelve wizard with rotten luck an opportunity to get that card from someone who happened to have relatively good luck who just wants to help.

I have no need for the extra Potent Trap TC's I wound up with, I would gladly sell them at the Bazaar to help others advance their crafting level. It's why I sell my Deer Knight, Goat Monk, Ninja Pig, and other TC's needed for crafting those spells that I've already crafted.
Many have voiced their opinions about not being able to trade their extra Potent Traps. Some are suggesting that KI allow the trade between accounts in a Family of accounts but, I have seen others say just let us trade them so we can help those having trouble getting it.

Either way would work fine for most and KI could just keep the Level restrict in place to prevent it from being traded to wizards who have not gotten the AZ crafting quest and entered Mangrove Swamp.

Since you can't complete the crafting quest with Agave Leaves you have purchased in the Bazaar and receive credit for it, this would make more sense. By having to actually get a quest to go into Mangrove marsh from another NPC, it will take some time to get there unless you port in to a friend. This requirement of COLLECTING the Agave Leaves in my opinion should be enough reason to increase the PT TC drops.