Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Team Up Penalty

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 15, 2012
I understand the reason for having a Team Up Penalty for those who dip out, however there are a few people, kids probably who have nothing better to do than to be mean, that exploit the fact that if they join the team up and then dip out right before the fight starts it causes a penalty for everyone. So teaming up then having the others dip out on you is an unfortunate waste of time for those who value their time and are serious about a team effort to get further in the game. This should be adjusted for no penalty honestly is it that big a deal to penalize people? 10 minutes of time I can't get back waiting to find a team to help me get further... thanks and I hope this gets fixed or penalize those who dip out with a reporting system so they get punished not the people who are serious about team up play.

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I had an experience just yesterday where I joined a team and it was horrible. One guy (apparently capped) just kept laughing and saying he was only there to watch us all get beat up. Another guy spent the whole time I was there arguing with the capped fool.

I asked three times if we were actually going to run the dungeon (Olympus) and they basically ignored me...one fussing at the guy who was being an idiot, while the idiot kept saying over and over, "I want you all to suffer." After around five minutes with no signs of anyone having any intention of running the dungeon I left.

I then had to wait several minutes before I could try again due to said penalties. Since my time is actually rather limited, that whole situation was a very annoying delay.

All of that, to say this. I agree that the penalty needs to be modified or adjusted. Perhaps give a penalty free exit once a week or something.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I didn't understand the post - how does it cause a penalty for the others if one person leaves the teamup?

Usually some people leave a teamup and some go on with it.

What can be irksome is if there are only two people and the one who called for the teamup leaves it just before the timer runs out for the battle to begin - that happens to me maybe 20 percent of the time I join teamups. (Guessing the percentage.)

Sometimes I don't catch that they left or they leave so close to battle that I get there and no one's there but me.

Last time, I didn't notice, and ran ahead and started the battle...there's usually some stragglers so I didn't think anything of it. It was an easy battle though.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I agree, as I have also had some troubles with this penalty. In particular, when someone starts a team-up for a Skeleton Key Sigil, they should really be the one who holds the key to open it. When I join these groups, they just kinda stand around waiting for someone else to use their key. In these situations, everyone just leaves the room. Because of this, everyone now has a penalty. I understand and respect why the road block is there, but it'd be nice if something could be done when we're forced to leave the team-up.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
It isn't much of a penalty but more of a cool down: You are always required to wait 10 minutes (I believe it's 10) between all usages of team up. I think there should be a team up potion that you can purchase with crowns or gold.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
I like the idea of letting a player quit once each day with no cool-down, then increasing the cool-down to 10 minutes. That said, many players simply port away instead of quitting an instance - and forcing others to quit to restart. The rule should be that any player exiting a dungeon causes players already out to get dropped and incur the timer as well. If fewer than four players are in a dungeon and exit out, none should get the timer penalty.

I don't want elixirs for these timers. This amounts to KI taking payments for players to abuse each other.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Goldenoak1 on Jan 1, 2017 wrote:
I had an experience just yesterday where I joined a team and it was horrible. One guy (apparently capped) just kept laughing and saying he was only there to watch us all get beat up. Another guy spent the whole time I was there arguing with the capped fool.

I asked three times if we were actually going to run the dungeon (Olympus) and they basically ignored me...one fussing at the guy who was being an idiot, while the idiot kept saying over and over, "I want you all to suffer." After around five minutes with no signs of anyone having any intention of running the dungeon I left.

I then had to wait several minutes before I could try again due to said penalties. Since my time is actually rather limited, that whole situation was a very annoying delay.

All of that, to say this. I agree that the penalty needs to be modified or adjusted. Perhaps give a penalty free exit once a week or something.
Wow, I understand that people can be mean, but this mean, wow!

My apologies for going through such a terribly experience.

People need to understand that it isn't a robot playing behind the Computer Screen, it's an actual person with actual feelings. Cyber Bulling like this needs to stop.

As for the penalty, as you said, it's not entirely fair for the Good suffering for the Bad here.

Explorer
May 25, 2016
I agree with this. Sometimes I leave a dumgeon cause people flee (and say they'll be back) only to never return. And I'm rather patient so I'll wait about ten mins or so for their return. But sometimes they nvr come back. I then have to wait ten minutes to do another team up when I left only cause my team abandoned me. :(

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Why is there a 10 minute penalty. I always thought the dungeon automatically resets itself when you enter in through those lit circles?

Explorer
Sep 15, 2012
SparkleTude on Jan 1, 2017 wrote:
I didn't understand the post - how does it cause a penalty for the others if one person leaves the teamup?

Usually some people leave a teamup and some go on with it.

What can be irksome is if there are only two people and the one who called for the teamup leaves it just before the timer runs out for the battle to begin - that happens to me maybe 20 percent of the time I join teamups. (Guessing the percentage.)

Sometimes I don't catch that they left or they leave so close to battle that I get there and no one's there but me.

Last time, I didn't notice, and ran ahead and started the battle...there's usually some stragglers so I didn't think anything of it. It was an easy battle though.
Okay let me see if I can simplify what I'm trying to say:

Lets say you team up with 4 people for something like Darkmoor and 1 person dips out it can greatly affect the way that dungeon is going to go and if 2 people dip out it becomes nearly impossible for the remaining people to continue. So rather than waste your time fighting an uphill battle, it leaves little choice but dipping out yourself because the whole point of you teaming up is so you don't have to do a dungeon that is too difficult by yourself. Maybe losing 1 person won't change things maybe it will, experienced players know when losing their help, be it 1 or 2 people, makes the dungeon impassible. The point is the penalty is a tad frustrating for those who want to complete a team effort dungeon and not waste their time, especially when there are annoying childish people who exploit this penalty just to be mean.

Wow GoldenOak1 I can't imagine someone being that mean and having to put up with them. That makes me miss the days I played L2 where you could just PK characters like that. I do believe you can report people though so I hope you did that.

So maybe having a strike system per day where people who dip out of dungeons more than 3 times in a day are penalized with a longer lasting penalty. It would cut down on the mean people exploiting this or do away with the penalty system all together.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I hate it when people just stand there doing nothing in or outside the battle or acts stupid while the rest are fighting. It's the same as missing a player. Then that person has the nerve to ask for a heal. My respond is why should I heal you when you don't fight? That would be a waste of pips. Then that person gets mad and leaves or comes up with excuses; go figure. Because there's not a full team, the rest of the us leave and waits for the remaining penalty to reach zero before teaming up again. Doing that a few times is waste of game play