Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Future of Gear

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 15, 2009
Don't get me wrong I love this game, but I simply do not understand why I should have to be forced to grind a dungeon for days or weeks to get semi-decent stats. For people like myself who work all day and pretty much eat, bathe, then pass out afterwards I don't have much of an opportunity to grind for this gear. What would take some maybe a few days to obtain I could spend a month or more looking for depending on my luck with RNG simply because I have maybe an hour of energy in myself to play wizard101 before I want to go to bed.

With each new world beyond these dungeons, (i.e. Darkmoor being the most current of them) there should be new means of obtaining gear that is either equal to or greater in strength to the previously best gear. Granted I haven't finished Mirage yet so i am unsure if there is better gear already, but if not then I would like it if Kings Isle would go over the distribution of gear and why it is a burden on it's player base when you force us to grind heavily on the same dungeon just to get this top tier stuff.

One of the biggest downsides to the system they have now is ebb and flow of the player base. Once the end game players have finished the new content they usually go inactive again. What this means for players like myself is fewer people to help me push through a dungeon for gear that I need. So when the hype for new content dies down i usually find myself stuck because no one is grinding these dungeons anymore, which means i am pretty much locked out of the top tier gear for good which is unacceptable.

There should *always* be multiple ways of obtaining top tier gear. The fact that there isn't means that Kings Isle depends on players grinding countless hours just to eat up time between updates. While i can understand a want for there to be a semi active group of players in between updates, i just cannot condone them forcing us to grind like this. At this rate i will never have the top tier gear simply because i don't have the free time to spend fighting the same boss over and over in hopes of getting it. I also understand that i can't expect to simply be handed the best gear I do wish Kings Isle would give us multiple ways of obtaining top tier gear each time they release a new world that increases the level cap. This way I don't feel like i have to revisit older content that is losing popularity just to get something that should be accessible from then onwards.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Samuel Wolfe on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I love this game, but I simply do not understand why I should have to be forced to grind a dungeon for days or weeks to get semi-decent stats. For people like myself who work all day and pretty much eat, bathe, then pass out afterwards I don't have much of an opportunity to grind for this gear. What would take some maybe a few days to obtain I could spend a month or more looking for depending on my luck with RNG simply because I have maybe an hour of energy in myself to play wizard101 before I want to go to bed.

With each new world beyond these dungeons, (i.e. Darkmoor being the most current of them) there should be new means of obtaining gear that is either equal to or greater in strength to the previously best gear. Granted I haven't finished Mirage yet so i am unsure if there is better gear already, but if not then I would like it if Kings Isle would go over the distribution of gear and why it is a burden on it's player base when you force us to grind heavily on the same dungeon just to get this top tier stuff.

One of the biggest downsides to the system they have now is ebb and flow of the player base. Once the end game players have finished the new content they usually go inactive again. What this means for players like myself is fewer people to help me push through a dungeon for gear that I need. So when the hype for new content dies down i usually find myself stuck because no one is grinding these dungeons anymore, which means i am pretty much locked out of the top tier gear for good which is unacceptable.

There should *always* be multiple ways of obtaining top tier gear. The fact that there isn't means that Kings Isle depends on players grinding countless hours just to eat up time between updates. While i can understand a want for there to be a semi active group of players in between updates, i just cannot condone them forcing us to grind like this. At this rate i will never have the top tier gear simply because i don't have the free time to spend fighting the same boss over and over in hopes of getting it. I also understand that i can't expect to simply be handed the best gear I do wish Kings Isle would give us multiple ways of obtaining top tier gear each time they release a new world that increases the level cap. This way I don't feel like i have to revisit older content that is losing popularity just to get something that should be accessible from then onwards.
Mirage gear is, at best, about equal to Darkmoor. Mirage duels, especially bosses like Shadowwock, are equivalent or harder than Darkmoor. I'm getting a strong impression that KingsIsle is fighting gear inflation (fighting it too much, in fact) and focusing on storyline and game experience instead.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Samuel Wolfe on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:

I always wondered why they've ceased in providing Crafting Alternatives.
With that said though, like you said, the only known possible way of obtaining solid gear is through Darkmoor. Even the name hurts the heads of so many of us, much less having to have to actually farm the dungeon.

Now I do agree somewhat to what your saying. It seems they want to milk out every last time we've available so we're continuously forced to either throw crowns into the second chance chests, or renew memberships again just to get this "Top Notch Gear."

I'm not sure as to who their financial advisors are, but if they recommended this as a steady and guaranteed way of income, then they'll swiftly end up out of a joke with lots of unhappy and frustrated players quitting.

Anyone remembers the gear No Auction Gear that were dropped by various bosses around the spiral from Krokotopia to Dragonspyre? Our low level wizards benefited so much from gear like these. We had options! What happened to that?

What happened to all the options we had?

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
what annoys me the most is the best gear continues to be darkmoor, a dungeon released almost two years ago. You can get equivelents from the exalted duels but either way this was gear for twenty levels ago when everything was 5x easier. The final fights of Polaris and Mirage only drop decent boots while forcing you to give up multiple stats and don't even get me started about wands. Its not the time for me because I have quite a bit, its the lack of current gear.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2011
I agree with XaZeRs completely. The gear also does not scale properly in proportion to level. Case in point is that aside from about 2% armor piercing there are pieces of gear as low as level 40 that are comparable to the Darkmoor gear and the level 60 gear was far more balanced out among the various schools. All the gear I've found so far in Mirage is either not as good as what I already had or is far worse and the new pip conversion stat, while potentially good, is not worth giving up critical/block rating for no matter how good any of the other stats on the gear might be. Not sure who had the idea to make gear with pip conversion in place of critical and/or block but it's a solid and resounding fail and the next idea they have should definitely be fully ignored.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
XaZeRs on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
what annoys me the most is the best gear continues to be darkmoor, a dungeon released almost two years ago. You can get equivelents from the exalted duels but either way this was gear for twenty levels ago when everything was 5x easier. The final fights of Polaris and Mirage only drop decent boots while forcing you to give up multiple stats and don't even get me started about wands. Its not the time for me because I have quite a bit, its the lack of current gear.

Waterworks gear was the best for 30 levels.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
I think that in addition to the usual fare that players expect from gear, new top-tier gear should include item cards (a lot like the Rattlebones and Darkmoor robe), perhaps useful ones that can't be found as trained spells.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
XaZeRs on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:

I agree with this completely. It's been two years without anything worth farming for. I know that KI is trying to "experiment" a bit with stats like pip conversion, but everyone knows how bad of an idea that was.

Honestly, instead of creating a new mechanic like pip conversion, it's so much easier (and caters to the fanbase) to just make a new gear set with boosted Darkmoor stats. It's simple, and the most important part about it is that people won't be angry and, therefore, keep buying memberships and spending crowns to farm for end-game gear.

CH