Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Going to have to rethiink my membership.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Seriously going to have to rethink my membership to this game. When a MOB with no boss in Caterwaul Canyons can do a 4k hit on a level 120 wizard with like 60% resistance and also stun ya as well, then I think the game is a bit out of hand. Not only do the mobs hit big, but they also stun and also heal themselves on top of that. Oh and then lets not forget the hidden cheats they get, like hiding your hit cards and epic cards even when you have small deck or not letting pets heal until it is too late to do any good. Yup going to seriously rethink my monthly membership on this release. Its was fun but when you can't even do a simple side quests like defeat 5 regular mobs, just not sure its worth it anymore.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2013
Its called pushing yourself to the limits

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
You are not the only one who feels that way and if you truly to do leave, sorry to see you go! I personally do think that the mob street fights are a bit rough, however, I'm fine if it's a boss in a dungeon that is cheating. (I know you're not talking about bosses and more about those cursed Fire minions). I hope that they do tone down the street mobs a little and am fine if the bosses/dungeons stay how they are. My mentality about it as I've mentioned before is if we are supposed to be Ravenwood Graduates I'd think that a few petty persons or things mucking about in the street should be dispatched by us with no more than a no blades or anything Blizzard or Meteor. However, when we are going after a magical object guarded by a monster in a cave or something, then yes, KI can pull out all the stops and have cheats and health etc as they see fit. Until a resolution is reached though, please team up with other players! It one makes the experience more enjoyable to make new friends two makes it less lonely and three makes those darn mobs much more doable! Good luck on your adventures!

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
I could be really snarky like I was in another post, but this time I won't. Just get some people to quest with, try team up for bosses, and for mobs if no one is fighting them switch realms to find someone who is. I agree this world is pretty hard to solo but seriously, stay, the world is great

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
jordan night blood on Dec 11, 2016 wrote:
I could be really snarky like I was in another post, but this time I won't. Just get some people to quest with, try team up for bosses, and for mobs if no one is fighting them switch realms to find someone who is. I agree this world is pretty hard to solo but seriously, stay, the world is great
Easier said than done but that is probably one of the best options if you aren't as familiar with the game as the hardcore players.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Pyle1197 on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:
Seriously going to have to rethink my membership to this game. When a MOB with no boss in Caterwaul Canyons can do a 4k hit on a level 120 wizard with like 60% resistance and also stun ya as well, then I think the game is a bit out of hand. Not only do the mobs hit big, but they also stun and also heal themselves on top of that. Oh and then lets not forget the hidden cheats they get, like hiding your hit cards and epic cards even when you have small deck or not letting pets heal until it is too late to do any good. Yup going to seriously rethink my monthly membership on this release. Its was fun but when you can't even do a simple side quests like defeat 5 regular mobs, just not sure its worth it anymore.
Many others are feeling the same way. I probably won't be far behind. I will take my remaining wizards through Azteca and MAYBE Polaris but that will be about it for me. My lowest level wizards are lvl 58 in CL but once they are through, my subs will end as well. I have played too long at a fun casual game to end up having to play what some are comparing to PvP.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
If a boss and minions or for a drop then yeah fine but regular minions in the mobs come on. I'm familiar with the game been playing for years. I'm not saying make the mobs easy but come on as the other post says tone them down just a bit. Maybe saying I was going to cancel was a bit brash. Time will tell.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
KI really need to consider adding some form of polling or something that would be geared to asking questions about new updates and how the current game is and actually consider the feedback being given.

You aren't the only one my friend, many, many others are unfortunately sharing your same frustration.

It also seems we're now moving in an era where no one would like to stretch out a hand of assistance anymore..

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
I was just about gone, but being the life wizard of our group, I ended up not being able to ditch my friends. I was literally looking at all my wizards to see which one to delete first. Now I don't know how long I will stay, probably till I get stuck, IDK. I do know this tho, when that day comes I will delete everything and uninstall. There will be no coming back, as it would be pointless. I do not want to pay just to stay in the lower worlds and never level up, or finish the story, as some of the hardcore have suggested.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Exactly what mob is doing 4k natural attacks? I am really curious as I have run 3 wizards through mirage and have never experienced this.

Are you sure we are not all just exaggerating. Have you considered the issue may be waiting too long to kill? I did several random team ups and it appeared to me the biggest issue people are having is poor deck setup which leads to just standing there long enough to get killed.

I really do not think it is gear or the mobs, I think it is a failure to pull the cards you need fast enough. Consider trimming decks to just essential cards (I mean do you really need 8 hits in deck for 1 mob?). You can always pack a tc reshuffle for the off chance you need more cards.

Knowing how much damage you can do with X amount of boosts makes questing much more efficient and pleasant.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Wow, this sounds pretty rough.

I remember one of the early fights where a pair of enemies liked to throw DFA and Bull at you. A critical taken at the wrong time ended that fight on me painfully fast. When I started mixing in some Volcanic Shields, these fights got a lot easier.

Which enemy was it that did this? Was it a critical combined with blades and traps?

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I may have to rethink my membership too. Mirage wasn't really hard at all. In the entire world there was only one really challenging boss. Yet so many complaints from players who want it easy, Im sure KI will nerf it like they always do. Then I, and players like me, who actually expect a max world to be a challenge,will be back to being bored bored bored. More likely we will be gone gone gone.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
AmberRavenSong7 on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
I may have to rethink my membership too. Mirage wasn't really hard at all. In the entire world there was only one really challenging boss. Yet so many complaints from players who want it easy, Im sure KI will nerf it like they always do. Then I, and players like me, who actually expect a max world to be a challenge,will be back to being bored bored bored. More likely we will be gone gone gone.
If this world was just a speed bump for you, why care if it's tweaked to make it more fun for other players?

The power spectrum of players is something that we are only seeing a small sample of here on the forum. I suspect KI is looking hard at the player populations to see who is playing Mirage and how they're progressing. I fear that the number of players hitting a wall in this new world vastly outnumbers the group who enjoy the level of difficulty.

I'd really love to see some high-end, challenging content. I don't think the main storyline is the right place to do this, though. I may sound like a broken record, but W101 really needs a Darkmoor 2.0.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Then I am sure you soloed this world? If not, then I suggest you solo the next wizard you bring to Mirage, for an added layer of difficulty. You could also try other methods like reducing your gear.

This game is rated E10, and should be fair to their entire audience. If people feel like it's not, then it will alienate players who find they cannot move forward.

For someone who has had no problem with this world (at least in the first run), you can find ways to make it more challenging on your other wizards. Then this game will work for both sides of the aisle.

I would also like to mention, that I do not find this world incredibly difficult as some people have, but I do not see it as the breeze you perceive it to be either.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
There are plenty of games out there that are intentionally hardcore. W101 is one of the few that draws a younger audience and has been advertised as a family game. Those hardcore games, which I have tried a few, are not something I would let my young grandson's play.

If others who are some of the best in this game can see and understand what is happening and that it is causing problems, then why can't you?

Players with disabilities are not getting through this game as it becomes more geared to the few hardcore players that keep demanding harder and harder content. Fair? No, not by a long shot. Why should they be ignored just so that few can continue to demand more and harder?

Bored? Then try using gear that isn't the best or pets that aren't perfect. If you want a challenge, then create your wizard to have that challenge. But don't expect others to match your expectations. We are all different and we don't use the same strategy.

No one is asking for easy, but we do want a game that EVERYONE can play and enjoy.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
@dragonlady1818 said: "No one is asking for easy, but we do want a game that EVERYONE can play and enjoy."

yes! and i don't understand why the hardcore players behave as though making the game fun and accessible for everyone is some sort of affront to them. and, to those players: is it really going to kill you if everyone can complete the worlds?

@liam wyrmhammer said:
"I'd really love to see some high-end, challenging content. I don't think the main storyline is the right place to do this, though. I may sound like a broken record, but W101 really needs a Darkmoor 2.0."

i agree with you that the main storyline is absolutely not the place for "darkmoor 2.0" or anything like it. but, if kingsisle wants to spit out a bunch of truly-optional dungeons for the hardcore players, then fine. go to town. i really don't care, as long as whatever's in there is not required for basic quest progression or has a crafted/purchasable alternative for those who don't have years to farm for it.

-von

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
These threads pop up for every expansion. The game isn't getting "harder," our wizards are getting more powerful and the mobs have to be upgraded to accommodate the increase.

If they didn't add some kind of challenge to the main storyline, the threads would be filled with, "I beat Mirage yesterday and there is nothing to do....release new content now KI!!!!"

Mirage has only been out for two months. The difficulty is designed to prevent players from speed running through (although it doesn't work for everyone). If the majority of players have not beat Mirage 6 months to year after release....KI has the data to know that and will decrease the difficulty (they've done it before). Besides, they always decrease difficulty and collect quests for older worlds (Celestia, Azteca, etc). They will do it for Mirage too at the right time.

A few other points:

1. Hard work begets great rewards
2. Family friendly does not mean "easy"
3. Difficulty is subjective and different for everyone. KI will never appease everyone in this category.

Again, not sure why some think this is a new tactic by KI or Mirage is different some how. It is same game for the past six years with sprinkled in cheat bosses in the main storyline (since Celestia).

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Jasmine3429 on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
Exactly what mob is doing 4k natural attacks? I am really curious as I have run 3 wizards through mirage and have never experienced this.

Are you sure we are not all just exaggerating. Have you considered the issue may be waiting too long to kill? I did several random team ups and it appeared to me the biggest issue people are having is poor deck setup which leads to just standing there long enough to get killed.

I really do not think it is gear or the mobs, I think it is a failure to pull the cards you need fast enough. Consider trimming decks to just essential cards (I mean do you really need 8 hits in deck for 1 mob?). You can always pack a tc reshuffle for the off chance you need more cards.

Knowing how much damage you can do with X amount of boosts makes questing much more efficient and pleasant.
LOL. It has nothing to do with a deck setup. The mobs can and do hit that hard.

My Ice has 86 resist to Storm/Fire and 56 resist to the rest. I have had 'natural' attacks hit me anywhere from 1700 - 5100. A storm mob hit me for 5100 and I have 86 resist (minus whatever pierce the mob has).

The problem is, the mob natural attacks need to be adjusted. They should not be using "X" spells for it. I dread the thought of continuing my Storm, who, at times, doesn't last past the second round, and that's with a LIFE wizard questing with him!!!! (He has 68 Storm 58 Fire/Ice 38 resist to all others).

When my Ice can get hit that hard with as much resist as I have, then something needs to be changed, and it's not me.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2014
i think it would be cool if kingside added like a side world for hardcore players

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Oran of Urz on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
These threads pop up for every expansion. The game isn't getting "harder," our wizards are getting more powerful and the mobs have to be upgraded to accommodate the increase.

If they didn't add some kind of challenge to the main storyline, the threads would be filled with, "I beat Mirage yesterday and there is nothing to do....release new content now KI!!!!"

Mirage has only been out for two months. The difficulty is designed to prevent players from speed running through (although it doesn't work for everyone). If the majority of players have not beat Mirage 6 months to year after release....KI has the data to know that and will decrease the difficulty (they've done it before). Besides, they always decrease difficulty and collect quests for older worlds (Celestia, Azteca, etc). They will do it for Mirage too at the right time.

A few other points:

3. Difficulty is subjective and different for everyone. KI will never appease everyone in this category.

Again, not sure why some think this is a new tactic by KI or Mirage is different some how. It is same game for the past six years with sprinkled in cheat bosses in the main storyline (since Celestia).
""These threads pop up for every expansion. The game isn't getting "harder," our wizards are getting more powerful and the mobs have to be upgraded to accommodate the increase.""

Actually, as of Mirage, Wizards are not getting stronger. Take a look around and go read some of the threads on Central. With NO new gear being introduced with Mirage, and the crit/block decay, wizards are actually weaker than they were at level 110.

As for the threads being filled with players wanting more content? Just wait until all the "hardcore" players get all of their wizards through Mirage and then the demand for new and harder content will come up again. Hopefully KI will modify Mirage and add SIDE content for hardcore players.

There are players who have completed Mirage in Hours so that alone proves the content isn't hard enough for them yet.

In case you haven't noticed, many have worked to the point of mindlessness to try to get the best gear in the game and still don't have it, so "Hard work begets great rewards" really doesn't work as an incentive to continue along those lines.

No Family friendly doesn't mean easy but it doesn't mean to have to scale a cliff for each new release and Mirage is the steepest yet.

Regardless how subjective difficulty is, it shouldn't be a roadblock for players. And don't say players aren't quitting because they are. I have already lost most of my friends due to the mind blowing numbness of the game.

Cheat bosses are fine as long as they are only "SPRINKLED" in, but when the mobs can knock a player out of the battle with a criticaled natural attack, plus double to triple the health, then the game mechanics are out of balance and NEED to be fixed.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009

A few other points:

Wow, what a great post Oran. Blast from the past indeed.

I mean you could literally take posts from any of those threads and use them here today, that's how similar they are. Same arguments and responses on both sides it seems. After reading a few I feel even more comfortable with my position.

Which is the difficultly level is fine where it is and people will adjust or wait till the difficultly level is nerfed as I'm sure is inevitable with the number of complaints. But that seems to be the norm and happens on (as you have highlighted) a regular basis.

You even see some of the same posters, saying nearly the same thing. So it's like you said.. why does this seem brand new to you? It's been done for years and here you are again. Despite all the complaints clearly you managed somehow and still enjoy the game because you're still here. You would think that all the children and older players and people unfortunately with developmental disabilities (edit; and casual players) wouldn't even be high enough to even step foot on mirage based on these claims of difficulty of previous worlds.

If they managed to get this far, every last one of them can finish mirage. Might not be right away, but they can finish.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

A few other points:

if we were actually getting stronger, i would have zero issues. but the fact is that the "improved" (and i use that term facetiously) crit/block system means that we're way weaker upon completing a world than we were going into it.

my stats have been nerfed by almost 50 percent since the new system took effect. i had 63% crit and 72% block at the time of the nerf- that was cut to 37% crit and 52% block at level 100, and is now only 31%/44% at level 120. if you can explain to me how this is "getting stronger", then please, i'm listening.

"Hard work begets great rewards."

well, sure. but that's precisely the issue: mirage, like khrysalis, is a joyless slog with absolutely no reward. unless you consider two hours of your time to be worth exactly one reagent and a rank 5 pet snack... if you do, that's great. but no, my time is worth more.

"Family friendly does not mean easy."

no, it doesn't, and no one is asking for easy. we are asking for fair: reward equal to the effort we put in, the resources with which to be successful, and content that doesn't stop us in our tracks. and i don't think that's unreasonable.

long cheaty battles do not belong in the main quest line, period. if it is something that even the filthiest of us casual peasants must complete in order to progress, then we should be able to complete without elite gear/perfect pets/a perfect team. again, not unreasonable: not everyone has those things, and we shouldn't have to, in order to enjoy the game.

"Difficulty is subjective and different for everyone. KI will never appease everyone in this category."

i agree. however, kingsisle needs to be mindful that they don't completely alienate their casual player base.

-von

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I was in this same boat when I started Mirage. However, now that I am preparing to battle Grandfather Spider, I have had a change of heart. I used team up constantly, I joined with other players in mob battles, and I only soloed 2 bosses. And I started looking around. I saw tons of "Dune" references, and when I got to Shrowdenger's Qhat, my little nerd heart was incredibly happy. Seriously, that was fabulous. Thank you to whomever came up with it.

Mirage is tougher than what I am used to as a player who solos everything. But I am level 120, and one crazy boss away from being finished. What did I learn? That sometimes, I can't solo, I have to get help. I learned to stop and smell the proverbial roses, albeit sandy ones. I found all the desert blossoms, and the oasis-s. I crafted two wands, and trained some new and kind of amazing spells.

I do agree about the drops. Spending an hour battling the shadow version of the Jabberwock, only to get a reagent, a music scroll, and a rank 5 pet snack was a wee bit annoying. I think that guy should shoot a diamond out through your screen at the end of the battle. Just a suggestion.

So, I humbly apologize for anything negative I wrote at the start of my journey into Mirage. I am in no way a "hardcore" gamer, and somehow, I managed to get to 120, with no Darkmoor gear, a couple of good, but not perfect, pets, and the help of a lot of people. If I can do it, you can do it.

See ya in the spiral!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
In the earliest days of video games (I can recall when they had no pause option for instance and you couldn't save for long periods of time), when a passage got so difficult it seemed insurmountable the game became a coaster.

I hope that won't happen here as I continue to level higher.

I have already run into the Lt. Culpepper quest and the quest in Marleybone with the same guy in the first room of the tower and the cheating bosses.

I couldn't believe it when one enemy in the Culpepper tower hit us all with 10,000 points in a group attack. What?

Come on, it's too hard at that point. Then Tv looks more tempting.