Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused about Pet Hatching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
I have two epic pets and worked VERY hard to get enough gold to combine those pets in the hopes of getting some nice stats. I performed the hatching process today only to receive a new pet that is lower in all of it's stats and I am really upset that I spent all of that (much needed) gold, sacrificed buying anything else in-game like fishing spells and gardening spells only to get a completely useless inferior pet!

These are the two pets I hatched with stats:

Epic Samoorai (61)
Gives Unicorn Card
One slot
+ 6% Life attack
+9% Life shield
+ 82 Max Magic
+5% Pip chance

Epic Death Treant (55)
Give one Natures Wrath card
One slot
+123 Life points
+89 Magic points

The following is the pet I received after hatching the two above pets for combination:

Baby Death Treant (57)
One card at adult
One socket at ancient

Before anyone asks I do realize they start as baby but these stats!? This feels crazy! What am I doing wrong???

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Pedigree and stats are very different things. Pedigree number is just a total of the levels of talents and derby in your talent pools. common = 0 up to epic = 5. It really means very little about how good a pet is, only what level talents it has. Some uncommon talents (1) are better than some epic talents (5). Also if you aren't doing pet derby, those don't really matter. Don't worry about pedigree, worry about what talents you want and get.

Stats are Strength, Intellect, Agility, Will and Power. Those determine how much certain talents give you in terms of attack/resist and such. Higher stats = more resist/attack or critical/block...

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
The stats are passed down from the parents, if you want death-giver, the parent must have death giver or there is no chance of the pet getting death-giver in it's talent pool.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2009
What stats? You haven't even trained the pet yet! Are you speaking about its pedigree? It's higher than 55, which is what your Death Treant was (your Samoorai pulled it up).

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Pedigree doesn't matter. You can pretty much ignore that.

Stats -- the attributes like Will, Strength, Power -- affect the ultimate value of some talents, but not what talents you get.

Talents -- what skills or stat boosts the pet has -- are inherited from the parents talent pools. Which ones you get in a given hatch are chance.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Unless you got the account from someone else, I assume you know this from having trained your epic pets, but just in case, talents are unlocked with training, so your baby will gain one talent and one derby ability with each level.

Teen, Adult, Ancient, Epic, Mega

Baby pets show only the potential socket and any "given" cards. That's normal, and how your other pets began.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
Yes, I trained the pets myself. I could care less about derby features and want pet characteristics for battle purposes only.

I do understand the 'random' feature but was very disappointed to receive a pet that even if fully leveled would have lesser abilities.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
disorganized on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
What stats? You haven't even trained the pet yet! Are you speaking about its pedigree? It's higher than 55, which is what your Death Treant was (your Samoorai pulled it up).
By 'stats' I meant things like:
+ 'x'% attack
+'x' shield
+'x' % Pip chance
Give 'x' card
Give a jewel slot
Give 'x' amount of life points
Give + 'x' amount of mana

I have no idea what you mean by "haven't even trained a pet yet" unless you are talking about derby which I could care less about.

Any and all pvp in this game is ridiculous in my opinion so I don't bother.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
eyreisheyes on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
By 'stats' I meant things like:
+ 'x'% attack
+'x' shield
+'x' % Pip chance
Give 'x' card
Give a jewel slot
Give 'x' amount of life points
Give + 'x' amount of mana

I have no idea what you mean by "haven't even trained a pet yet" unless you are talking about derby which I could care less about.

Any and all pvp in this game is ridiculous in my opinion so I don't bother.
Those are talents not stats. You get 1 talent for every level you train, so of course if you haven't trained the pet, you have no talents appear yet. Your pet is a baby.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
So despite being "Epic" or higher it's a baby!? That makes no sense to me. What other possible method would level a pet!?

Terminology may be part of the problem here as I say 'stats' and you call them talents. It doesn't really matter what I call them as long as I get the point across that no talents per se are happening with pet hatching for me.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
eyreisheyes on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
Yes, I trained the pets myself. I could care less about derby features and want pet characteristics for battle purposes only.

I do understand the 'random' feature but was very disappointed to receive a pet that even if fully leveled would have lesser abilities.
There's no way of knowing what abilities it will have if fully leveled until you level it.

You have a baby, so the talents haven't been unlocked.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
eyreisheyes on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
So despite being "Epic" or higher it's a baby!? That makes no sense to me. What other possible method would level a pet!?

Terminology may be part of the problem here as I say 'stats' and you call them talents. It doesn't really matter what I call them as long as I get the point across that no talents per se are happening with pet hatching for me.
Your post says it's baby, not epic. Talents must be unlocked through training.

Terminology matters to getting relevant answers, but I think we now understand your issue.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
Gemma Luna on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:

Terminology matters to getting relevant answers, but I think we now understand your issue.
Thank you. I was thinking that the potential talents could be seen prior to levelling the pet. Wouldn't it be nice if you could see what the pet is capable prior to spending all of the energy on a pet you may not even care to level. Oh well, there is no perfect mmo world.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
Gemma Luna on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:

Gemma, I was talking about the talents for the baby. I didn't know you could not see potential talents unless you leveled the pet prior. When I mentioned epic I was talking about the two 'parent' pets.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
eyreisheyes on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:

It's like real life. If two Adults have a child, it isn't automatically Adult. You hatched two Epic pets, which wouldn't create an automatic epic. You need to train your pet up, as with its parents, so that it can manifest the talents the parents gave it. Every pet you get, through buying, or hatching, or gardening, or anything else: starts at Baby. Then you have to train them up through one of the 6(I think) activities in the Pet Pavilion.