Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death needs a buff in max level pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 31, 2012
Undoubtably, Death is the worst school there is when it comes to max level 1v1s. Bone Dragon and Poison can easily be taken off with a treasure card triage, and you just wasted 8 pips and now your opponent has the advantage. Our spells don't do nearly enough damage. I feel like the only good spell we have is Winged Sorrow that can do decent damage. Lulu got nerfed and doesn't do good enough damage. But even then those spells can easily get stopped with set shields. Our only decent combo is bone dragon into a lulu, but even then that doesn't do enough damage and balance/life can just heal it off with no problem. Even with doom and gloom, a critical avaling hands or Satyr can heal it off no problem. Or they can just switch the bubble. At least the other schools has good defensive moves with Weaver, Fire with Krampus, Storm with Storm lord, Balance with Loremaster(the most opest spell ever) Myth with Medusa and Life with Weaver or Wings of fate. You can count the drain spells as defensive moves, but they barely do any damage. Even our utility spells suck. Sacrifice hurts you more then it heals you. Bad juju takes 4 pips and hurts you with a good 350-500 damage. Dark Pact is good for PvE but not for PvP. On top of that, our utility spells get better utilized by other schools! Pleases stop giving buffs to schools like balance and ice, and actually give us a decent buff so that we have a fighting chance.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I agree with you. The 3 schools that need a buff atm are Death, Storm and Myth.

Weaknesses in PvP

Death- Low Damage hits, lack of utility that doesn't injure themselves or remove self buffs, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.

Myth- No high damage/low pip hits. Most of it's stun based utility is easily defended from, no heal ability, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.

Storm- Low health that leaves them constantly in the danger zone, no shield breaking utility, lack of combo utility, unreliable heal, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2014
I agree death real needs some help when it comes to 1v1 rank pvp

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Snackez on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
Undoubtably, Death is the worst school there is when it comes to max level 1v1s. Bone Dragon and Poison can easily be taken off with a treasure card triage, and you just wasted 8 pips and now your opponent has the advantage. Our spells don't do nearly enough damage. I feel like the only good spell we have is Winged Sorrow that can do decent damage. Lulu got nerfed and doesn't do good enough damage. But even then those spells can easily get stopped with set shields. Our only decent combo is bone dragon into a lulu, but even then that doesn't do enough damage and balance/life can just heal it off with no problem. Even with doom and gloom, a critical avaling hands or Satyr can heal it off no problem. Or they can just switch the bubble. At least the other schools has good defensive moves with Weaver, Fire with Krampus, Storm with Storm lord, Balance with Loremaster(the most opest spell ever) Myth with Medusa and Life with Weaver or Wings of fate. You can count the drain spells as defensive moves, but they barely do any damage. Even our utility spells suck. Sacrifice hurts you more then it heals you. Bad juju takes 4 pips and hurts you with a good 350-500 damage. Dark Pact is good for PvE but not for PvP. On top of that, our utility spells get better utilized by other schools! Pleases stop giving buffs to schools like balance and ice, and actually give us a decent buff so that we have a fighting chance.
I feel like the issue here is you're using Death but trying to build and play like a Storm and wondering why it doesn't work. Currently, Death is built the way Ice should have been. It's a slow-paced, utility-based School, not a damage-based one. That's the reason why its Steal Health spells (Half its damaging spells) deal lower than average damage, the sheer utility of hitting and healing in the same round is hard to match. This is also the reason Khrulhu seems lackluster in comparison to the other S/E spells; Death was the only school to get a Steal Health spell with the Darkmoor update, so it was the only school to get a spell with weaker damage in comparison. The fact that it's an AoE didn't help out its sheer damage potential either.

Now let me try and go through each of your other complaints.

1. Balance/Life can outheal Death damage too easily, even under Doom!
Well now I feel like you're exaggerating. There are hardly any (if any at all) Life/Balance wizards that use a healing strategy at Max LvL 1v1 because of how Hyper-Offense the meta is currently, so nobody really has the outgoing or incoming healing to heal efficiently under a Doom and Gloom. You, on the other hand, can Steal Health freely as Doom doesn't affect those.

2. Death doesn't have any Defensive moves!
Does a -90% for 3 pips mean nothing to you? Even Fire has to wait until 8 Pips to do the same thing. You can literally do this at any time. Also, I can't believe you just listed Wings Of Fate as a good Defensive tool.

3. Death utility spells hurt them more than they help them!
Sacrifice heals for 3x the damage it does. So if it hurts you more than it heals you, that's on the part of your build as a Death wizard and not a Storm or Fire wizard.

While yes it is true that Death is not performing too well in the Arena, I believe much of that has to do with Death wizards trying to hop on the all Hyper-Offense bandwagon, but much of it is the fault of KI for making that the meta in the first place.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Eric Stormbringer on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
I agree with you. The 3 schools that need a buff atm are Death, Storm and Myth.

Weaknesses in PvP

Death- Low Damage hits, lack of utility that doesn't injure themselves or remove self buffs, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.

Myth- No high damage/low pip hits. Most of it's stun based utility is easily defended from, no heal ability, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.

Storm- Low health that leaves them constantly in the danger zone, no shield breaking utility, lack of combo utility, unreliable heal, no low pip offensive/defensive spell.
Every school has weaknesses and strengths which are amplified tremendously in PvP. You want to buff Death, Storm and Myth in all of their weak areas then you need to be fair and buff all the other schools in their weak areas as well.

Eg.

You want to give Death stronger hits, increased utility and low pip Offensive spells? Then we need to give Life the same thing. They can keep their healing but their damage will need to go up, they'll need better utility than simply Weaver or Caterpillar since the community got Guardian Spirit ran out of PvP and they'll need their low pip spells to do more damage so they have increased spam potential.

That's just as an example but I could do the same thing for all 3 you mentioned.

Also, the sheer fact that you said Storm has no "combo utility" and no low pip offensive spells (Really? Storm?) really makes me question whether you even know enough about W101 PvP at all to make accurate judgments on what needs buffing or nerfing...

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BlueGnome on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
Every school has weaknesses and strengths which are amplified tremendously in PvP. You want to buff Death, Storm and Myth in all of their weak areas then you need to be fair and buff all the other schools in their weak areas as well.

Eg.

You want to give Death stronger hits, increased utility and low pip Offensive spells? Then we need to give Life the same thing. They can keep their healing but their damage will need to go up, they'll need better utility than simply Weaver or Caterpillar since the community got Guardian Spirit ran out of PvP and they'll need their low pip spells to do more damage so they have increased spam potential.

That's just as an example but I could do the same thing for all 3 you mentioned.

Also, the sheer fact that you said Storm has no "combo utility" and no low pip offensive spells (Really? Storm?) really makes me question whether you even know enough about W101 PvP at all to make accurate judgments on what needs buffing or nerfing...
Every school having strenghts and weaknesses has very little to do with the discussion at hand. Its become apparent at max level that certain schools are extremely advantaged compared to others. Life already has defensive and offensive utility in weaver and caterpillar. Im not sure how GS got "ran out of pvp" considering there is an entire sub meta known as the Angel Strategy revolving around said card.

As for storm. Storm has one realistic combo in Storm Lord a high pip AoE of relatively low dpp for the school, hence the limited combo potential. Who said Storm has no low pip offensive spells? I said storm has no low pip offensive/defensive utility(ex luminous weaver, loremaster) which is 100% true.

As for my knowledge on w101 pvp. I am Storm wizard who has maintained warlord rank in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Age Pvp purely in 1v1. I was recruited and am a writer and editor at the PvP oriented site Duelist 101. I have written numerous guides, revealed numerous advanced mechanics, correctly predicted the meta mumerous times. Since you seem eager to establish credentials, perhaps you would care to reveal yours?

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Eric Stormbringer on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
Every school having strenghts and weaknesses has very little to do with the discussion at hand. Its become apparent at max level that certain schools are extremely advantaged compared to others. Life already has defensive and offensive utility in weaver and caterpillar. Im not sure how GS got "ran out of pvp" considering there is an entire sub meta known as the Angel Strategy revolving around said card.

As for storm. Storm has one realistic combo in Storm Lord a high pip AoE of relatively low dpp for the school, hence the limited combo potential. Who said Storm has no low pip offensive spells? I said storm has no low pip offensive/defensive utility(ex luminous weaver, loremaster) which is 100% true.

As for my knowledge on w101 pvp. I am Storm wizard who has maintained warlord rank in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Age Pvp purely in 1v1. I was recruited and am a writer and editor at the PvP oriented site Duelist 101. I have written numerous guides, revealed numerous advanced mechanics, correctly predicted the meta mumerous times. Since you seem eager to establish credentials, perhaps you would care to reveal yours?
You say "every school having strengths and weaknesses has very little to do with the discussion at hand" when your original post is literally just a list of the weaknesses of 3 schools.

You say that you said "Storm has no low pip offensive/defensive utility" when what you actually said was, and I quote: "Storm- Low health that leaves them constantly in the danger zone, no shield breaking utility, lack of combo utility, unreliable heal, no low pip offensive/defensive spell." And anyone who's ever stepped foot into an Arena knows that Storm is most notable for its ability to spam low pip/high damage spells. eg. Wild Bolt/Insane Bolt or in some cases; Tempest.

So, as decorated as you claim to be in the field of "PvP journalism" or whatever in the world it was, you can't honestly be taken aback when someone thinks you don't know what you're talking about if you literally sound like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Next time please proofread yourself.

I've been doing PvP for a long enough time to have enough of a grasp on the subject to make valid arguments, regardless of how many articles I've written, or you've written. I've assisted in leading competitive online communities before, so trust me when I say; don't let it get to your head. Apologies if my original post offended you.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BlueGnome on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
You say "every school having strengths and weaknesses has very little to do with the discussion at hand" when your original post is literally just a list of the weaknesses of 3 schools.

You say that you said "Storm has no low pip offensive/defensive utility" when what you actually said was, and I quote: "Storm- Low health that leaves them constantly in the danger zone, no shield breaking utility, lack of combo utility, unreliable heal, no low pip offensive/defensive spell." And anyone who's ever stepped foot into an Arena knows that Storm is most notable for its ability to spam low pip/high damage spells. eg. Wild Bolt/Insane Bolt or in some cases; Tempest.

So, as decorated as you claim to be in the field of "PvP journalism" or whatever in the world it was, you can't honestly be taken aback when someone thinks you don't know what you're talking about if you literally sound like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Next time please proofread yourself.

I've been doing PvP for a long enough time to have enough of a grasp on the subject to make valid arguments, regardless of how many articles I've written, or you've written. I've assisted in leading competitive online communities before, so trust me when I say; don't let it get to your head. Apologies if my original post offended you.
Exactly-storm has low pip offensive spells(like wildbolt). Not low pip offensive/defensive spells which is exactly what I said and what you quoted. So it's not my proofreading in question but your reading comprehension.

As for it "getting to my head". You literally questioned if I knew what I was talking about and if I had the necessary experience. Hence me telling you exactly where I'm coming from. You shouldn't be taken aback by answers to questions you posed.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BlueGnome on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:

Forgot to address this: the fact that each school has strenghts and weaknesses isn't in contention here. We all know that. My list was an illustration of why each of those 3 schools is low tier in the current meta.

I apologize if I come across as callous. I'm very direct in my writing style and approach. No offense was taken earlier.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I think you guys are taking this a little too seriously and need to stop attacking eachother. Eric Sotmbringer, it sort of seems like you are directly attacking BlueGnome. It is starting to get a little off topic. I would say that a main problem in death pvp could definitely being they have no defensive spells but then again, there are many other schools that don't really have any defensive spells because the schools without these spells have other perks that other schools do not. I do feel that death could use a few buffs.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Aug 31, 2016 wrote:
I think you guys are taking this a little too seriously and need to stop attacking eachother. Eric Sotmbringer, it sort of seems like you are directly attacking BlueGnome. It is starting to get a little off topic. I would say that a main problem in death pvp could definitely being they have no defensive spells but then again, there are many other schools that don't really have any defensive spells because the schools without these spells have other perks that other schools do not. I do feel that death could use a few buffs.
There is a very big difference between attacking and debating. Obviously the moderators correctly interpreted my comments as debate rather than attack and responded accordingly by letting my posts through unedited.

As for death; it's not defensive spells that they lack. They lack offensive/defensive spells. Their drains are lower dpp and don't take the full value of enchants on the damage end(it's distributed between damage and health returned). They also lack the ability to spike damage outside of their shadow enhanced spells.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010

Eg.

UNTRUE.

Guardian Spirit has not been removed from the Arena. Life wizards may still use nearly unlimited copies. Other school wizards may use the copies on gear and wands. Only the three cards on the Battle Cherub Pet have been barred from PVP.

Your argument isn't enhanced by lies.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2009
Death is no doubt in need of help. Myth and Storm needs work too but if you look at death; it's even worst. Storm at least has crazy damage, pierce, mass damage spells, tc, ultility ( Enfeeble, heal current, cleanse, damage bubbles) and spells with good side effects. Myth has a spell for almost every situation but just can't heal; which many myth players complain about how they can't stun when death have bigger problems. Myth and storm can also use deaths own utilities more effective(Bad,empower,dark pact, midnight sprite,death bat, feint) and death has yet to have a decent wand for effect game play. For Example the best main wands for death are the Mali, road pack , Darkmoor pack and the Aquila pack wands. Lets explain whats the problem with these wands. Mali wand does not have enough of wands to counter weakness, Road pack wand can may cast all you're blades, Darkmoor pack wand you can't wand at all when you have blades and Aquila pack wand if you wand the may cast changes your bubble while possibility buffing a fire opponent or if you used a doom it gives your opponent a chance of a heal. Another thing that problems me about death is they have no good damage spells( half of a heal from a spell that's not even fully enchanted or hits with no useful effects and still lack damage quality), no thing to really buff (Besides blades), No real combos and utility does more harm than actual help.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
I feel like the issue here is you're using Death but trying to build and play like a Storm and wondering why it doesn't work. Currently, Death is built the way Ice should have been. It's a slow-paced, utility-based School, not a damage-based one. That's the reason why its Steal Health spells (Half its damaging spells) deal lower than average damage, the sheer utility of hitting and healing in the same round is hard to match. This is also the reason Khrulhu seems lackluster in comparison to the other S/E spells; Death was the only school to get a Steal Health spell with the Darkmoor update, so it was the only school to get a spell with weaker damage in comparison. The fact that it's an AoE didn't help out its sheer damage potential either.

Now let me try and go through each of your other complaints.

1. Balance/Life can outheal Death damage too easily, even under Doom!
Well now I feel like you're exaggerating. There are hardly any (if any at all) Life/Balance wizards that use a healing strategy at Max LvL 1v1 because of how Hyper-Offense the meta is currently, so nobody really has the outgoing or incoming healing to heal efficiently under a Doom and Gloom. You, on the other hand, can Steal Health freely as Doom doesn't affect those.

2. Death doesn't have any Defensive moves!
Does a -90% for 3 pips mean nothing to you? Even Fire has to wait until 8 Pips to do the same thing. You can literally do this at any time. Also, I can't believe you just listed Wings Of Fate as a good Defensive tool.

3. Death utility spells hurt them more than they help them!
Sacrifice heals for 3x the damage it does. So if it hurts you more than it heals you, that's on the part of your build as a Death wizard and not a Storm or Fire wizard.

While yes it is true that Death is not performing too well in the Arena, I believe much of that has to do with Death wizards trying to hop on the all Hyper-Offense bandwagon, but much of it is the fault of KI for making that the meta in the first place.
why talk about off topic "about ice" every spell

reason why ice more better spell "more rude to them" stronger they are