Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm 18 but still can't use open chat.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 19, 2009
So I recently turned 18 and was excited to finally use open chat. I have been a user for almost 8 years and have a current subscription, but I still can't activate open chat on the website, in fact, it's not even an option for my account. I've tried everything: using parent controls, logging into my parent's account, etc. and nothing's worked. I am wondering if the fact that I got this game before I was 18 prevents me from ever using open chat? If so that seems pretty silly. If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You need to be 18 and have used a credit card on the account to access open chat.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
It matters if you put in the correct date or not. You also I think need to be a member with a credit card option, but I'm not entirely sure. Have you found the option to change it, but it's just greyed out then? You can always email support, but I'd see if you can find a video on youtube if you can't find it in the menus.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
Alright this is going to sound really dumb and not necessary, because it is, but you have to make a crown purchase with a valid credit card, because you said you already have a subscription. Then you can log onto your account and change your chat options. It is ridiculous, but that's what I had to do.

1. have your age on your wizard101 account set to 18 or older
2. make a valid credit card purchase of crowns/sub, any amount will do
3. log into wizard101 website and go to "my accounts" section
4. under "account management" choose to activate open chat
5. log into the game and start using it

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
Then again, that's the first thing I did. So to save you from having to spend money on something you shouldn't have to, I'd look up a solution or wait for other replies. Hope you get this solved!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I've heard that you can't activate Open Chat if you didn't start your account when you were 18 or older, which is kind of bumming me out. There is no longer an option to change your birthday on your account, so I was wondering if it were a possibility for me to get Open Chat, or should I just let it go? Do you think it would be a good idea to email Kingsisle and ask them?

Thanks for any information you can give on this issue!

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
When you first started the account if you entered your age as 13 or younger, I don't think KI will ever give you open chat because Federal Coppa Laws prevents them from tracking 13 and under players. Privacy concerns I believe Dworgyn said. Maybe he will weigh in here and shine a light on this so we will all know the correct procedure.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Simply put . . . if you can't activate open chat, your best course of action is to contact Customer Support for more information and direction.

Email: support@wizard101.com
Web: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

In regards to information collected from those under 13, please refer to our Privacy Policy for more information.