Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 06, 2019
Hello!

So a many years ago I played a storm wizard until I eventually had stopped playing. Now coming back I'm starting on a fresh account and after a while of deciding I decided to go myth since it's the "opposite" of storm and after a lot of researching I found a lot of things stating that myth is fairly weak in comparison to every other school because it's main niche (summoning minions) quickly becomes weak especially with them taking a slot in a battle and not having a very good arsenal of spells.

I decided to continue on with it because at the end of the day it's about having fun! However it's quickly became evident to me that myth has double attacking spells which is really cool because things like ice mobs don't really effect me by spamming tower shield... but also means that unless you double trap something (and I'm assuming prisms and possibly even blades) the first hit consumes your boosts and leaves you unboosted on the attack that matters.

So is myth just awful? Will I be able to get into end game dungeon groups to get gear and farm things if I play this school or will people just view me as a massive liability? Also has it always been this way? Obviously when I was younger I didn't understand the concept of metas, didn't read update notes, and didn't really think on the concept of "x is stronger than x"... So was there a time where myth was strong? Have schools ever been nerfed for being too op or buffed for being too weak? Has there ever been a rework for something based on it just not having a working framework for how it's supposed to function?

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
What you said about myth is partially true, they have two distinct advantages over other schools: they have access to more minions than any other school and they also have access to more stuns than any other school. As a way to balance myth for having access to all of this utility, the school has a little bit less damage than schools like fire or storm. However, these mechanics don't fit into the current state of the game very nicely.

For one, almost every single boss in the game is completely stun immune, which makes that aspect of the school completely irrelevant. As of now there is no way to bypass this stun immunity, so all of those myth cards are essentially useless in these fights.

Minions can be very valuable early into your questing, but as the game progresses they lose their value. The game has kind of shifted away from different schools bringing different things to battle into every school trying to deal as much damage in as little time as possible. Minions have a couple issues: what spells they choose to cast is unreliable, they could cast spells that you don't need, which actually just makes battles longer. If a minion has a deck filled with bad cards, such as taunt, that drastically reduces the overall effectiveness of the minion. The second issue is that minions have stats that do not change, unlike our wizards. A wizard's spells will deal more damage as you improve your gear, but a minion's stats will remain the same throughout the entire game. Due to this, most damaging spells minions have are considered pretty useless by the time you reach the late game.

Although this response does sound incredibly dire for the school of Myth, the school does have some benefits. PvP is the best place for a Myth to make use of all of these utility spells, because the vast utility myth has to offer is actually necessary. Being able to bypass shields with spells like minotaur, orthrus or king artorius can give Myth a distinct advantage. Against single targets, myth is still a formidable force - the majority of the game just does not require the strengths a Myth wizard can bring to the table.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
While many will say Myth is the weakest school - and while it may be true - keep in mind the extent they would be the weakest is very small. All of the schools in this game are balanced well and there is no clear-cut 'superior' school of choice. There are too many variables to consider and each aspect of the game is situational. So, no, do not feel like you will be useless or ineffective at higher-leveled dungeons and groups. Every school is viable.

Regarding the traps, you've discovered one of the inconveniences of being a low to mid-level Myth. You either have to double trap and Feint, or avoid using them altogether and stick with single attack spells and blades. Training the spells Ninja Pigs, Keeper of the Flame, and Athena will offer you more flexibility than just relying on Frog, Minotaur, and Orthrus.

As for their history, they have not always been regarded as the weakest - especially not when it comes to PvP. Way back when Grandmaster and Legendary were the max levels, Myth was a dominant, popular school picked for PvP. Talos was banned from it due to it being too strong.

I think you should stick with it! Myth is very underrated and doesn't get enough love.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2012
Well Kazzper,
Hello there,

Your feeling is true, can be thought as the weakest school, that's how every conjurer thinks at the beginning, why did i chosse this? but as you keep on playing, you realize that myth is a kind of a school on which the whole team relys, we have the spells which can save the whole team from the worst situation, and when it comes to pvp, conjurers have the best spells which annoy the enemies( you read that right, buddy). Some people only farm alongside conjurers as they can spam stuns and shatters to make the match much easier. And the reasons go on and on...
I am a visionary Conjurer, I love Myth and I am proud to say that.
Don't lose hope on Myth. It surprises you later.
Have a nice day, Buddy.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2019
Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely continue to play myth. I'm having quite a bit of fun and am currently frog spamming my way through MooShu. How do I go about getting the Keeper of the Flame, Ninja Pigs, and Athena spells? Are they quests from leveling up like summon cyclops? Something a bit stronger than cyclops would be nice to have. I don't even keep cyclops in my deck anymore because it does the same damage as frog anyways.

Also any advice on gear? Like when I'm leveling should I just look for items with high damage increase or would something with power pip chance be more valuable? I'm really concerned about this for when I get to dragonspyre. I currently struggle to hit over 1000 health even to boosted enemies unless my Time of Legends is up on top of myth trap and myth blade. From when I played storm through dragonspyre a very long time ago I remember them having high health, using shields and hitting fairly hard. I rarely get gear upgrades and I feel like if I continue to not get much in the way of gear I will not be able to do quests as I already struggle a bit in MooShu.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Kazzzper on Dec 10, 2019 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely continue to play myth. I'm having quite a bit of fun and am currently frog spamming my way through MooShu. How do I go about getting the Keeper of the Flame, Ninja Pigs, and Athena spells? Are they quests from leveling up like summon cyclops? Something a bit stronger than cyclops would be nice to have. I don't even keep cyclops in my deck anymore because it does the same damage as frog anyways.

Also any advice on gear? Like when I'm leveling should I just look for items with high damage increase or would something with power pip chance be more valuable? I'm really concerned about this for when I get to dragonspyre. I currently struggle to hit over 1000 health even to boosted enemies unless my Time of Legends is up on top of myth trap and myth blade. From when I played storm through dragonspyre a very long time ago I remember them having high health, using shields and hitting fairly hard. I rarely get gear upgrades and I feel like if I continue to not get much in the way of gear I will not be able to do quests as I already struggle a bit in MooShu.
Keeper of flame, Ninja Pigs, and Athena are available from lore packs or dropped by the lore master in dragonspyre.
You can also craft them

Oh and koto drops Ninja Pigs also

Survivor
Oct 27, 2018
Hey there Kazzzper!
In order to get Keeper of the Flame, Ninja Pigs, and Athena, you will need to either:
Craft them (around lvl 80, I believe)
Farm the Loremaster in Dragonspyre (can be time consuming, but the easiest, earliest option)
Find them in card packs, if you are up to spending some money.

For my Conjurer, I do not use Summon Cyclops. In fact I would use a couple Summon Golems. Why? It's a 0 pip cast, meaning you can generate pips while keeping yourself busy. It can weaken some enemies and potentially get rid of some shields, and finally build some threat to take a hit for you. I personally like to use it, but it's not a necessity.

For Gear, The more health, the better. Search the Bazaar every 5 levels; try find gear that can boost Health, Dmg%, and Accuracy. You can also farm Mount Olympus at level 30 for the almighty Zeus Gear+Sky Iron Hasta, which is a tremendous boost in health, damage, accuracy, and defense. This gear can carry you up to lvl 50 (potentially beyond), it can take a few hours but it's certainly worth the effort.

Can't find the armor you want? Too expensive? I suggest picking up crafting. Vendors can give you decent gear that can boost other school stats. Do as much crafting as you can, cause after the Zeus gear, its pretty much all crafting, and gear in the Bazaar can be a chore to get enough money for. Once you level up crafting, you will be at the appropriate level to craft Ninja Pigs, Athena, and Keeper as well. Hooray, 2 for 1!

For stronger enemies, I would suggest heading into the Bazaar and snagging any Tough/Strong/Giant Treasure cards you can find. This will help you boost your froggy damage, and after Dragonspyre, you can head over to Celestia and get yourself Amplify and Strong. For Boss fights, carry a separate deck, and use Minotaur in place of Humongo Frog.

As for Time of Legend, I only use it if I can get enough power pips to Frog next turn and/or if there are no enemies (or enemies that can cast ). Pick up the amulet that gives Time of legend, its a 35% boost rather than the 25% you get from the regular card. Even with the Tough/Strong/Giant boost, I hardly find myself using it unless the enemies are extremely tough.

I hope this covers any questions you asked. Im fairly experienced with Myth since my cousin gave me some pointers when he played a while ago (he got to level 50)

Survivor
May 24, 2009
I actually just made a Message Board Name to reply to this, because myth is becoming such a rare school!

So I'm a level 127-ish Myth atm (I'm just too lazy to quest, okay? ) and let me tell you that myth is severely underestimated! There are a couple levels/worlds/areas that seem pretty tough depending on your play style and deck build, but for the most part I've been able to solo everything except cheating bosses for a long time.
It's true that minions do become fairly obsolete at mid-high tiers, but they are pretty decent for boss fights for a while, if only to tank and give a little damage for you.

Don't forget that Myth is the opposite/counter to storm.

Yes, for multi-hit spells you have to use 2+ traps/prisms, but NOT blades. One blade buffs the entire attack. There is also the benefit that if you don't critical on your first hit, sometimes you will for your second (hopefully this is still true and wasn't just a bug when I loved Orthrus spam), but if you crit on your first hit then the whole spell is a crit. Weird!
In DS, I promise you that Earthquake is your friend. You lose a little max damage compared to frog, but destroying all of the enemies' blades/shields is very useful.
And let me tell you, some bosses really can't be beat without a shield-breaker. It isn't always glamorous, but that's where damage builds come in.
I very comfortably have over +100% myth damage, around 55% critical, 97% power pips, etc. Oh, and around 25% resist to most schools. And this isn't even an optimal build!
With a good pet and amulet, my critical/damage/resist could go even higher, but I also have higher health/resist than storm/some fires. So yeah, it takes me longer to blade up to the same damage that they can do, but I have a higher chance of surviving the first couple rounds of combat when bosses start with 4-5+ power pips and unload their heavy spells right away.
I've been a Myth for around 9 years now (I've taken a couple loooong breaks during that time) and can tell you that KI has rebalanced a few of the areas I had issues with when I was at the appropriate level. Monsters have lower health, bosses were lightly nerfed, something has a little less myth resist or a little more myth boost, that kind of thing. It's definitely a playable class, and with some time and effort can be made a force able to rival even some of the heaviest hitters in the spiral... or some of the best supports (shield-breaking and a mastery amulet for heals are a great combo!) ... or I'm sure a great resist build is possible... Myth is just so versatile!

I could go on forever about why I personally think myth is one of the best metas, but I think you might have an idea by now.

Cheers, and good luck!

P.S. If you find another myth, a team of two (or more?!) conjurers can take down the entire questline rather quickly together. (Although I'm never online as much as I like to be, if you see a conjurer named Scarlet GriffinRider riding a griffin, feel free to add)