Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bullying

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
Hi there,

I have to discuss with the community that bullying in the Commons (Ambrose One) has gotten out of control.

Now, I know you can IGNORE and change realms, but this does not get them to stop gossiping or spreading rumors. No names specified, but if you have witnessed the troubles, then you understand that I have to deal with this.

I am starting a group on wiz called "Spread The Vibes, Not The Lies" if anyone would like to join

The goal is to be positive and talk about POSITIVE things not hurt or harass anyone

Thanks everyone

❤️ Anna Rose / Alexis

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
stay out of the commons , that's a huge tip only players that talk smack and have no membership hang out there anyways.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't help.. they continue to work with each other to harass me.. reporting doesn't help, they go back to the same place as last time for attention. Please guys help me!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
annabananarose on Dec 11, 2019 wrote:
That doesn't help.. they continue to work with each other to harass me.. reporting doesn't help, they go back to the same place as last time for attention. Please guys help me!
annabananarose, that's a wonderful idea that you have, but why do you insist on being in the Commons on Ambrose area 1? It's almost as if you're asking for trouble so you can report them.
Go to a less populated realm and make friends there or make friends in a team-up. I usually hang out on Ghoul.

Administrator
Thanks for starting this group! Any way we can increase awareness to the general community on our policies, and that yes we will enforce them, is thanked by our team.

If you see any concerns of abuse at all, please send them to our support contact email so we can investigate: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 12, 2019 wrote:
annabananarose, that's a wonderful idea that you have, but why do you insist on being in the Commons on Ambrose area 1? It's almost as if you're asking for trouble so you can report them.
Go to a less populated realm and make friends there or make friends in a team-up. I usually hang out on Ghoul.
Never blame the victim. It's her right to be in whatever realm she wants, it is not the right of anyone to bully or harass. She does not need to change realms-bullies need to change their behavior. Forcing the victim to change empowers the individuals engaging in the abuse.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
anecorbie on Dec 12, 2019 wrote:
They are not always there. They see me and start trouble. Also, it's not their realm, they don't own it, Kingsisle does. They can't kick me out.. anyway I go there bc if I need help, I can ask somebody there. I can always make friends in Ambrose One.

If anyone wants to participate in the group, I'm Alexis on Wizard101. Meet in Realm Unicorn Commons by Zeke at any time if you are interested! Everyone is allowed to join. Let me know here if you want to join me! ❤️

- Annabananarose

// Alexis

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Avoid the 'WU' Realm as well as most harassers seem ton congregate here as well.

I also always recommend ignoring and avoiding as well.

It you don't show the abusers any attention, they usually eventually stop, or simply just avoid areas where they settle.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Snee432 on Dec 12, 2019 wrote:
Never blame the victim. It's her right to be in whatever realm she wants, it is not the right of anyone to bully or harass. She does not need to change realms-bullies need to change their behavior. Forcing the victim to change empowers the individuals engaging in the abuse.
Many "victims" also need to take responsibility for their actions - if you know an area is bad with bad, nasty people; instead of stressing "poor little me" then avoid the are they're in. This is one of the reasons why I avoid certain realms, PvP and I pass through the Commons as quickly as possible. I don't have the ability to report.

You can rant about bullies all you want, nothing will change their behavior - if they're banned here, they'll just go to another MMO to get their jollies. BTW, that doesn't "empower" them, feeding their sick need to be acknowledged does.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 13, 2019 wrote:
Many "victims" also need to take responsibility for their actions - if you know an area is bad with bad, nasty people; instead of stressing "poor little me" then avoid the are they're in. This is one of the reasons why I avoid certain realms, PvP and I pass through the Commons as quickly as possible. I don't have the ability to report.

You can rant about bullies all you want, nothing will change their behavior - if they're banned here, they'll just go to another MMO to get their jollies. BTW, that doesn't "empower" them, feeding their sick need to be acknowledged does.
"What were you wearing?" "Why were you in that neighborhood?" "Why were you out so late at night?"

As a survivor of some pretty horrible stuff, I know all about victim blaming. It's much easier to blame victims than to even suggest abusive people change their behavior. Yes, there will always be bullies in much the same way there will always be predators. But refusing to hold bad people accountable for their behavior does, in fact, empower them, and even encourages them. If they know the victims are the ones blamed, there is nothing stopping them from continuing to bully, harass, abuse, and cause harm.

If a person needs help with a quest or a boss, and is having no luck using team-up, a crowded realm can offer them access to such assistance. And if said person goes to Ambrose or Wu, and is subsequently bullied, harassed and/or abused, that's not their fault.

Albeit a game, Wizard101 often shows people's true colors. I don't feel it's far fetched at all to believe the harmful players in the game are also harmful in their everyday lives. Which, at least to me, is a fairly alarming thought.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
More then Ambrose realm commons, people being toxic is quite out there.
Im still on my way to team manager badge on my balance, and along the way I've seen toxic behavior both from people in high levels and low levels.

One particular instance helping a high level (cuz I was tired of helping the low wizards and wanted to do a quick team up for a higher level one ) and there was two people. One person who had text chat but wasn't speaking, and another wizard. There were mistakes made in the match (example trying to stack the same feint) and I kinda said something along the lines of how blades/traps work when stacking as you need different sources, usually from the silent guy. The other guy was complaining whenever I gave advice, to the point of profanity I of course quickly reported the person who used foul language. And got a false report back.

And something I noticed from teaming up in low level team ups, when a higher level one shots the everything (After all the people join in of course) to ensure nobody dies and makes the fight super easy.
Some people will say thank you or leave without saying anything, which is perfectly fine.
But then there are people that go "Wow why did you do that?"

There is an old saying that perfect for this situation "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit", if you are hosting in team up you cannot complain that the person helping you is strong. There is 3 main reasons why a high level goes into team up for low level worlds, farming that boss, getting the badge, and helping others.

if you are in the commons, the ignore button is a good friend. And it's best to avoid Wu realm as Wu realm has a tendency to be more toxic

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
Are you guys aware that these are "adults" mainly 25+?

This behavior is NOT acceptable, regardless of age.

Changing realms does not fix it.

Since Ambrose One is popular, I insist to go there.

They don't own the Commons. The amazing company, Kingsisle, does.

Please Kingsisle, enforce the players to stop bullying on Wizard101!

Thank you,

annabananarose // Alexis

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
annabananarose on Dec 15, 2019 wrote:
Are you guys aware that these are "adults" mainly 25+?

This behavior is NOT acceptable, regardless of age.

Changing realms does not fix it.

Since Ambrose One is popular, I insist to go there.

They don't own the Commons. The amazing company, Kingsisle, does.

Please Kingsisle, enforce the players to stop bullying on Wizard101!

Thank you,

annabananarose // Alexis
Alexis if you need help with quests/bosses/etc., my max ice is Erin Dusk Weaver and I am always in Ghoul realm.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Snee432 on Dec 14, 2019 wrote:
"What were you wearing?" "Why were you in that neighborhood?" "Why were you out so late at night?"

As a survivor of some pretty horrible stuff, I know all about victim blaming. It's much easier to blame victims than to even suggest abusive people change their behavior. Yes, there will always be bullies in much the same way there will always be predators. But refusing to hold bad people accountable for their behavior does, in fact, empower them, and even encourages them. If they know the victims are the ones blamed, there is nothing stopping them from continuing to bully, harass, abuse, and cause harm.

If a person needs help with a quest or a boss, and is having no luck using team-up, a crowded realm can offer them access to such assistance. And if said person goes to Ambrose or Wu, and is subsequently bullied, harassed and/or abused, that's not their fault.

Albeit a game, Wizard101 often shows people's true colors. I don't feel it's far fetched at all to believe the harmful players in the game are also harmful in their everyday lives. Which, at least to me, is a fairly alarming thought.
This is in NO WAY comparable to what you ( and others ) have experienced. What you're talking about is a crime. And comparing trolls in a game to the situation you just used trivializes the abuse.

This is just words on a screen. And there are guide lines to what is reportable and what isn't. If it's only teasing or rudeness, calling names, then that's not a reportable offence. Cursing around the filter and sexual harrassment/inuendo is.
Team up ledger is there for a reason, you need help? use it.

Administrator
I'd like to add that if you are not sure what is reportable or not, please do still contact our support team and ask the question there for your particular concern. It's better that we ensure complete coverage and not miss an edge case due to uncertainty.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2018
I simply don't stay in the Commons for long, it's get in, get out, only for things I need.

Try not to engage in replying to the bully, this is what they want and they will make it worse. In fact, I don't engage at all in side conversations. If it doesn't aid my game play, they're not worth my time.

If switching realms doesn't help, just ignore them in game and don't show/say any reaction.

I don't do PvP at all because of how mean people can be, even outside Wizard101.

anecorbie, do ask the support team about types of harassment instead of going after someone who already has dealt with enough outside of gameplay. Being called names (not even bypassing filters, just plain childish) can still makes other players experience uncomfortable. This is a game directed towards a younger audience, after all; How could it be the victims fault?

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone

Let me remind you that along the TOU (Terms of Use), there are rules about harassing.

As provided below,

(12) “stalk,” “phish,” abuse or harass another user, or attempt to do any of the foregoing; or (13) engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Site, or which, as determined by the Company, may harm the Company or users of the Site or expose them to liability.

Yes, they do this exact thing to me. Breaking TOU.

Thank you KingsIsle for the lovely game!

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 16, 2019 wrote:
This is in NO WAY comparable to what you ( and others ) have experienced. What you're talking about is a crime. And comparing trolls in a game to the situation you just used trivializes the abuse.

This is just words on a screen. And there are guide lines to what is reportable and what isn't. If it's only teasing or rudeness, calling names, then that's not a reportable offence. Cursing around the filter and sexual harrassment/inuendo is.
Team up ledger is there for a reason, you need help? use it.
Except recent legal cases have proven that online bullying can be considered a criminal offense.

Words on a screen. I've read words on a screen directed at me that compelled me to contact law enforcement, both local and federal (not connected with Wizard101 or KI). I've had an online stalker (again, not connected to Wizard101 or KI). I had a C-list celebrity send hoards of violent misogynists after me on social media. I've read words on a screen that were awful, cruel, and vile.

Now I am an adult, and things typed by a cartoon wizard in a game don't bother me. But if I was a kid? Perhaps already struggling with self-esteem issues, or being bullied IRL, or living with an abusive family, using Wizard101 to escape? Words on a screen would probably hurt a lot.

Empathy is something our society at large has lost over the past few decades. People seem unwilling, or unable, to think "What would I feel if someone did this to me?"

It would serve us well if, before we typed "words on a screen", we asked ourselves how we would feel if those same words were directed at us.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Lennylegend800 on Dec 16, 2019 wrote:
I simply don't stay in the Commons for long, it's get in, get out, only for things I need.

Try not to engage in replying to the bully, this is what they want and they will make it worse. In fact, I don't engage at all in side conversations. If it doesn't aid my game play, they're not worth my time.

If switching realms doesn't help, just ignore them in game and don't show/say any reaction.

I don't do PvP at all because of how mean people can be, even outside Wizard101.

anecorbie, do ask the support team about types of harassment instead of going after someone who already has dealt with enough outside of gameplay. Being called names (not even bypassing filters, just plain childish) can still makes other players experience uncomfortable. This is a game directed towards a younger audience, after all; How could it be the victims fault?

Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
If these people are such bullies why don't you ignore them? It is very easy to do so and then you don't have to deal with them.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
Snee432 on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
Except recent legal cases have proven that online bullying can be considered a criminal offense.

Words on a screen. I've read words on a screen directed at me that compelled me to contact law enforcement, both local and federal (not connected with Wizard101 or KI). I've had an online stalker (again, not connected to Wizard101 or KI). I had a C-list celebrity send hoards of violent misogynists after me on social media. I've read words on a screen that were awful, cruel, and vile.

Now I am an adult, and things typed by a cartoon wizard in a game don't bother me. But if I was a kid? Perhaps already struggling with self-esteem issues, or being bullied IRL, or living with an abusive family, using Wizard101 to escape? Words on a screen would probably hurt a lot.

Empathy is something our society at large has lost over the past few decades. People seem unwilling, or unable, to think "What would I feel if someone did this to me?"

It would serve us well if, before we typed "words on a screen", we asked ourselves how we would feel if those same words were directed at us.
Hey I just read your post and I couldn't help but think "Wow this person really gets me"

I know what you mean exactly

And yes this is honestly bullying
Also I agree many people in general deal with some kind of "bad things" especially school, which is the worst. I am an adult but even young adults are not grown up right away. We still have a while to go, so we can't blame any young adults for being childish!

Some people do not understand how people can say rude things on a game.

Talking about personal things for example is wrong. Why do they do it? They're just jealous and want to be like you. Nobody deserves to be mistreated. If anyone needs me I will be in Bartleby Area 1 from now on to avoid the bad people!

Thanks to those who support me

Alexis // annabananarose

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Lennylegend800 on Dec 16, 2019 wrote:

Never have I said it was her fault for being harrassed, but at the same time why subject yourself to that harrassment when you know that they hang out there?
There are other realms and each have a Commons. While Avery is popular; Bartleby also has many, friendlier players.
Even you say to avoid the Commons - so are you blaming her as well?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Snee432 on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:

It is obvious that we both got off on the wrong foot here,but your reaction to my well-meaning advice ( intended to help a player avoid being harassed ) was accusatory.
I am very emphatic to those who experience bullying ( having been bullied during childhood through my teen years.
But I must say in my defense that the opening poster wasn't specific in the types of bullying she was experiencing.
Many young players equate rudeness to bullying and make reports not understanding the guide lines used by KI.
Your last sentence also seems to accuse me of engaging in that behavior.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2019
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2019 wrote:
It is obvious that we both got off on the wrong foot here,but your reaction to my well-meaning advice ( intended to help a player avoid being harassed ) was accusatory.
I am very emphatic to those who experience bullying ( having been bullied during childhood through my teen years.
But I must say in my defense that the opening poster wasn't specific in the types of bullying she was experiencing.
Many young players equate rudeness to bullying and make reports not understanding the guide lines used by KI.
If you read in my first post of this topic,
I know you can IGNORE and change realms, but this does not get them to stop gossiping or spreading rumors.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2019 wrote:
I included your quote because it's something I often heard during the 12 years I wrote online. Law enforcement, friends, other writers, and social media associates, all have said something akin to what you wrote. What I experienced was 100x worse than anything occurring in Wizard101, so it's possible that I am hyper-sensitive to this subject.

If I misunderstood your comments, you have my sincerest apologies. However, I have a friend who lost her son to bullying, both at school and online. So again, this is something about which I am very passionate.

I also understand that younger players may not differentiate between snark and abuse. Telling someone "Your pet is weird" is completely different than "If I lose this PvP match to you, I'm going to dox you." The first is a little rude, the second is a violation of TOS and possibly illegal.

Please accept my apology, and I hope you have an amazing and wondrous holiday season. If you're in Ghoul realm, and you see an ice wizard with a sparkly blue hair bun riding Santa Jaws while singing Christmas carols, say hi.