Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thoughts on fixing PVP

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 14, 2011
One thing I have noticed in the years playing this game is that 4v4, 3v3, and 2v2 have steadily died in the game, while certain schools get extremely powerful spells that are to good. I think it is time we seriously reconsider certain spell dynamics in the game to balance 1v1 and to bring life back to 4v4, 3v3, and 2v2. These are just my ideas on some changes. Please don't get mad at me for suggesting some of these.

Nerfs that I think we can all agree with

Nerf Burning Rampage to 70 + 770 after 3 rounds. Letting the player get an extra round will at least allow for a potential counter if they are second such as triage or shift. A spell shouldn't be able to be almost completely uncounterable from first.

Nerf efreet to be 820 damage and still give the weakness. It is a small damage reduction but again makes it not as broken considering the weakness it gives

Nerf Wintermoon to be 475 damage. At least put it on par with frost giant except still 5 pips

Nerf Abominable Weaver to be 850 - 1050 damage + -75% tower shield. Just ice spells back to not being great hits without blades

Nerf Insane bolt to be no pvp. Honestly this spell is kind of stupid to have in pvp since it has an 80% chance of hitting 1k base on a player. With storm stats it can do 3k minimum which is just gg for 2 pips at most levels.

Buff thors hammer to be 4 pips. The cleanse charm would make it a good counter for lore plus it would match up with damage per pip more (factoring in the debuff also). I don't think a cleanse charm is worth making it so weak compared to a spell balance has that gives 2 debuffs and costs 1 less pip.

Buff Athena's battle sight to be 4 pips but do 400 damage and -35% shield. Myth needs something to put it on par with schools like balance and Athena while good is just awkward at 5 pips.

Buff Keeper to be +430 damage and +25% trap. Myth is weaker than fire but not by more than 9% (divide the damage of blood bat and fire cat). Brimstone and keeper however are 15% apart which doesn't make sense. This realigns the damage for the spell to reflect the normal distance between the schools.

Buff Winged Sorrow to be 950-1150 -30% weakness. Why does ice have a spell that has higher base damage and a higher debuff than death even though death should have more damage per pip + costs 1 more pip than abominable.

Nerf Guardian Spirit so it is 25% life restored after death but not affected by heal boost or critical. I do max life pvp and I honestly find the strategy of life being able to get all their health back with the proper critical gear while being able to have high damage and resist as being a bit to much.

Buff Luminous weaver to be 420 damage and -25% weakness. Why does loremaster do 100 damage more and give a mantle compared to luminous when the damage per pip is supposed to be similar?

Buff Sanctuary to be 2 pips but +35%. Life can't compete with bubbles and if guardian was nerfed, this bubble being up also wouldn't be as powerful anyways

Buff Life Scion to heal all players with the 1100 heal (remove the overtime thing since it was garbage anyways) while only being able to double if the caster is 33% health or less. Rebirth is 7 pips and heals basically 1150 except 400 of it isn't affect by stats. This isn't unbalanced and will keep in line with heal spells being better than attack spells.

Nerf Supernova to be 3 pips. Still has extremely high damage for 3 pip spell but isn't something done as casually has a shield and completely making an entire school of magic useless.

Nerf Mana burn to stay the same damage but take away 2 pips instead of 3. It shouldn't be able to punish the player with damage then remove the corresponding pips it took to cast.

Nerf Loremaster to be 370-440 damage + keeping mantle and weakness. Lore should be a special spell considering the difficulty but it shouldn't be so good that level 50s can get to 3k rating by spamming this single card. The 30 damage is a moderate deduction that will still make it a top tier pvp spell but not one that is way out of its tier.

Buff Powerplay to be 2 pips. It isn't that useful at any level and at least this gives a reason to cast for balance since it won't cost a ton of pips + will play into balance meta of just spamming

Nerf the Paladin Pet to give only 1 card. Just as how the cherub and invanko tiger affected pvp badly, this pet is way to good. Balance uses this pet at almost all levels and at low level, it is extremely difficult to deal with

Level restrict star spells tcs to be level 50+. Low level pvp shouldn't have infallible and other astral spells since garg and unstoppable are also restricted

Nerf shrike and other shadow spells to be only able to go down to +10 backlash like they used to. Shrike did not need a buff before. (Add, another possible debuff instead of reverting to the always backlash is to remove the +10% damage since shrike is already really good)

Changes to make people do 4v4, 3v3, and 2v2 ranked

Make the rank gained and lost from doing a 4v4 high like +32 or +40. This will give incentives to put in the time + since it can be faced paced in the upper levels, increase the risk to. For 3v3 do + 27 and for 2v2 do + 22. This will make it more appealing in regards to ranking fast (not sure how much it gives rn but I think these are all big increases for these segments.

Nerf Smoke screen and any other accuracy debuff to not stack like how dispels used to before the shields, no matter the type or how much it does. Doing double smoke is like endless stunning which as we know isn't easy with the stun shields.

Nerf the maycast chance of legion shield. I know we shouldn't know the chance but I rarely see maycast tower shield go off but maycast legion goes off more than fairy it seems. I just did a match where my maycast legion shield went off 5 times in 1 round. That is insane and basically just allows pets to carry a team.

Buff Shadow Seraph to actually give a +400 absorb. Sentinel basically gives braces and full block (only to caster) to the whole team while shrike increase the damage 2 fold minimum. Shadow serpah might at least act as a counter to the spam of shadow spells since it is currently useless since renew is the exact same except without backlash issues and the +25% incoming. Shadow spells shouldn't be worse than the aura version (Since look at infallible compared to shrike or brace compared to sentinel)

Well, please don't hate and leave your comments below :D.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2018
here is what i disagree with anything other then these is perfect you really did a great job !

1st: sorry to tell but unless storms get some more health (weakest school in pvp right now btw) insane bolt is gonna have to stay as a last resort

2nd: you mentioned low levels can't use enchant and spells like infallible . here is why that can't happen i have seend low level level 1 to 10 having 50-70 resist to all schools!!! so without an infallible they have a really high chance to not lose

3rd:you didn't mention this but you said you do life pvp right? well let me tell you something about life since they are the best healing school and CRITICAL does more then 100% for heals you must have seen satyrs do 3-3.5k when they critical witch some in and out healing . so tell me how is it FAIR that CRITICAL HEALS do more then double the heal while CRITICAL HITS only do 25% extra damage