Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dear Kingsisle and Wizard101 Staff,

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
I am going to preface this post with this:

There is no TL;DR, this post is for serious players and for serious feedback - not complaining about a school(s), card(s), and or gear(s).

If you cannot read this post in its entirety, please pass up this post. Keeping this thread unlocked is a benefit for you - not the Staff. Let's keep it magical and work on solutions together.

"Our apologies if any updates feel sudden. We will do what we can to involve the community in critical periods of change of course, including providing those changes up on Test Realm.

Some updates need to be made by us on our production schedule and understanding of how the systems work internally though.Your continued feedback here is just as important because even when the community is involved sometimes those changes still don't work as intended, or simply need further adjustments." - Sparck

"The biggest obstacle to addressing PvP is defining a slate of changes that all players can agree on. Clearly, when we set out to address PvP, we will have to make some decisions about what changes to make. Our goal is a healthy PvP environment with a growing player base. We will probably make some changes that some players don't like. Our hope is that those changes bring more players back.

The Beastmoon Hunt is a place for us to try new concepts without changing the current PvP environment-- which, while it has its problems, is still entertaining a lot of PvP players. The Beastmoon Hunt is also attracting new players who are not interested in the current PvP environment.

If you are a PvP player and you want to see the kinds of things we are experimenting with-- and especially if you want to join a conversation about it-- then it's worth checking out the Beastmoon Hunt.

To answer the OP: Yes, our senior designers (and even some programmers) PvP. Even so, as any designer can tell you, it is difficult for designers to have as much play experience as the sum total of all players-- so by all means, please continue to provide us with quality feedback." - Ratbeard

RatBeard, Sparck, Staff and fellow Wizards and Witches;

I've been playing WIzard101 for quite some time, with that being said, a lot of people love to say the same thing, however First Age PvP had its flaws but you have to understand that you guys (you meaning Kingsisle) have pushed the users away.

I would love to clarify instead of just pointing with a blind mindset and broken finger.

I absolutely love the changes inside the game, however the problem lays with the fact that seasoned players are not being listened to or even considered. Players are seen as just people who found a way to manipulate the system in their favor, instead of paying customers.

I am not here to ask for a PvP revamp because you already hear the outrage from the community, the problem and question now is: Are you going to listen to the concerns and involve the Player base in the process, or are you just going to keep pushing "ideas" onto thousands of players without feedback?

The easiest way to get people back into PvP is understanding that cards that can be spammed are the huge issue. It isn't a power balance as everyone keeps saying, it's simply an issue where cards like; Plague, Virulent Plague, Stun (has been fixed for a long while), and Insane bolt [plus others] are able to just be used and causing massive issues where now people going Second now have to worry about constantly being spammed and not being able to take proper counter measures to prevent spam of said listed (and non-listed) cards.

People quit PvPing because you guys added micro-transactions to the system everyone wants to be apart of. Practice offers NOTHING in return from winning - yes, it's practice but you are limiting your entire Playerbase (I can safely say more than half of your playerbase) to a system that rewards them with nothing to show for their efforts into trying to get into PvP.

Problems are problems for a reason: People have issues with an item/product/situation. However, problems can be fixed with feedback that is taken seriously, and then instead of it being a huge ramble of nonsense, you just started a conversation with about the problem(s) and now proper criticism can be offered and taken with a grain of salt. So instead of complaining and blaming all the issues on you and demanding things, I'll start the conversation with reasonable solutions instead of fighting for my school to be buffed and others to be nerfed.

A conversation needs to be started - not a list of complaints and demands. So let's begin:

We all need to understand that Wizard101 is a product of Kingsisle that employs human beings with lives and a family and therefore has to make money and since it is a company, PvP is only a portion of their focus, and dare I say it, a portion that is losing people.

With that being said, we all can agree changes are in order and necessary but we have to compromise with each other and understand that just because we spam demands, doesn't mean that that will be answered; and that we are the players and we have the most playtime with the features that are produced and released.

Developers and Programmers test what they release however they do not experience the creative ways that people abuse what they release - and yes it's encouraged to report the behavior, it takes a while for a patch to be released.

I hope this thread does not get locked and this can be a common thread where Staff can input their thoughts on what they plan on doing, allowing users to submit feedback and then start a place where feedback is taken, applied, tested, and then more feedback on something before a full release.

PvP can be changed in a huge way inviting players back with very easy, cost effective and in ways that "thank" all players for supporting the game and encouraging them that their monthly purchase will be worth it.

Non-paying users (Free2Play Users) should absolutely be allowed to X amount of "Free" Ranked PvP plays before they need to start purchasing passes and battles. This should be no more than 3-4 free battles a day or 10 free battles a week. After the free battles, they must wait for the daily/weekly timer to reset or purchase extra battles / passes. People with memberships avoid this limitation.

Why? It gives everyone the ability to earn a rank, makes it worth something again. If you give them a taste of what they can have, then they will more than likely decide that they love to PvP and will buy a membership to PvP all day and become a true PvP Warlord making the rank mean something again. It also allows them to submit feedback in a broader way allowing the issue of everyone arguing about their school not being buffed enough. If gives the Developers a broader pool to see where the issues lay.

People battling in in ranked PvP need to be paired / sorted by First: Character Level (+/- 8 levels) then Second: PvP Rank (no more than a 250 point difference, unless no pairs can be made then ask the lowest PvP ranking member if they would like to continue the battle with a person more than 250 point difference).

Why? This removes all issues where different levels are in different casting abilities. Why the number "8"? Each new spell is roughly every 10 levels, if you're within that range of each other, there is no excuse on people using spells 20+ levels above them. Limiting the pairing of rank points prevents Rank 550 being paired with a 1200 Warlord.

Update/start a spammable spells list and manage rules for spells. This does not mean remove spells or nerf them. It means make rules built into the PvP system. A good example would be "May only cast Plague once every other round up to 2 casts per team." Rules like this will allow people going second an opportunity to remove the plagues and re-level the playing field. And thus making it important to know when to cast it.
Why? Once it is started, spells can be added to Wikis and learn that spamming X is not a strategy and therefore everyone must abide by the built in PvP game mechanics or go buy a house with a PvP arena to play "dirty". It also forces everyone to rebuild their PvP strategies.

Lastly, before I end this post and open it up to feedback from both Staff and fellow players; Bind spells to the wizards level during PvP. It is a basic value setting added to each spell and then checked before they are allowed to join a ranked PvP match. Ex: a Colossus TC is bound to level 42+. Therefore that prevents low level PvP from abusing level 110 spells.
Why? It now removes people from using OP cards for their level in PvP where others may not have the same ability to go buy or make those cards. Now a level 5 Ice Wizard cannot spam a Blizzard TC that is way above it's level. This will absolutely balance low level PvP. All it does is place fairness onto the system.
if cardLevel > charLevel then disableMatchjoin

This is not a post to complain about cards or a school(s). This is strictly for absolutely genuine feedback from both us, the players and the Staff to pass up to the Developers. Ideas need to be well rounded and not one sided.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Time Wizard on Oct 6, 2019 wrote:
I am going to preface this post with this:

There is no TL;DR, this post is for serious players and for serious feedback - not complaining about a school(s), card(s), and or gear(s).

If you cannot read this post in its entirety, please pass up this post. Keeping this thread unlocked is a benefit for you - not the Staff. Let's keep it magical and work on solutions together.

"Our apologies if any updates feel sudden. We will do what we can to involve the community in critical periods of change of course, including providing those changes up on Test Realm.

Some updates need to be made by us on our production schedule and understanding of how the systems work internally though.Your continued feedback here is just as important because even when the community is involved sometimes those changes still don't work as intended, or simply need further adjustments." - Sparck

"The biggest obstacle to addressing PvP is defining a slate of changes that all players can agree on. Clearly, when we set out to address PvP, we will have to make some decisions about what changes to make. Our goal is a healthy PvP environment with a growing player base. We will probably make some changes that some players don't like. Our hope is that those changes bring more players back.

The Beastmoon Hunt is a place for us to try new concepts without changing the current PvP environment-- which, while it has its problems, is still entertaining a lot of PvP players. The Beastmoon Hunt is also attracting new players who are not interested in the current PvP environment.

If you are a PvP player and you want to see the kinds of things we are experimenting with-- and especially if you want to join a conversation about it-- then it's worth checking out the Beastmoon Hunt.

To answer the OP: Yes, our senior designers (and even some programmers) PvP. Even so, as any designer can tell you, it is difficult for designers to have as much play experience as the sum total of all players-- so by all means, please continue to provide us with quality feedback." - Ratbeard

RatBeard, Sparck, Staff and fellow Wizards and Witches;

I've been playing WIzard101 for quite some time, with that being said, a lot of people love to say the same thing, however First Age PvP had its flaws but you have to understand that you guys (you meaning Kingsisle) have pushed the users away.

I would love to clarify instead of just pointing with a blind mindset and broken finger.

I absolutely love the changes inside the game, however the problem lays with the fact that seasoned players are not being listened to or even considered. Players are seen as just people who found a way to manipulate the system in their favor, instead of paying customers.

I am not here to ask for a PvP revamp because you already hear the outrage from the community, the problem and question now is: Are you going to listen to the concerns and involve the Player base in the process, or are you just going to keep pushing "ideas" onto thousands of players without feedback?

The easiest way to get people back into PvP is understanding that cards that can be spammed are the huge issue. It isn't a power balance as everyone keeps saying, it's simply an issue where cards like; Plague, Virulent Plague, Stun (has been fixed for a long while), and Insane bolt [plus others] are able to just be used and causing massive issues where now people going Second now have to worry about constantly being spammed and not being able to take proper counter measures to prevent spam of said listed (and non-listed) cards.

People quit PvPing because you guys added micro-transactions to the system everyone wants to be apart of. Practice offers NOTHING in return from winning - yes, it's practice but you are limiting your entire Playerbase (I can safely say more than half of your playerbase) to a system that rewards them with nothing to show for their efforts into trying to get into PvP.

Problems are problems for a reason: People have issues with an item/product/situation. However, problems can be fixed with feedback that is taken seriously, and then instead of it being a huge ramble of nonsense, you just started a conversation with about the problem(s) and now proper criticism can be offered and taken with a grain of salt. So instead of complaining and blaming all the issues on you and demanding things, I'll start the conversation with reasonable solutions instead of fighting for my school to be buffed and others to be nerfed.

A conversation needs to be started - not a list of complaints and demands. So let's begin:

We all need to understand that Wizard101 is a product of Kingsisle that employs human beings with lives and a family and therefore has to make money and since it is a company, PvP is only a portion of their focus, and dare I say it, a portion that is losing people.

With that being said, we all can agree changes are in order and necessary but we have to compromise with each other and understand that just because we spam demands, doesn't mean that that will be answered; and that we are the players and we have the most playtime with the features that are produced and released.

Developers and Programmers test what they release however they do not experience the creative ways that people abuse what they release - and yes it's encouraged to report the behavior, it takes a while for a patch to be released.

I hope this thread does not get locked and this can be a common thread where Staff can input their thoughts on what they plan on doing, allowing users to submit feedback and then start a place where feedback is taken, applied, tested, and then more feedback on something before a full release.

PvP can be changed in a huge way inviting players back with very easy, cost effective and in ways that "thank" all players for supporting the game and encouraging them that their monthly purchase will be worth it.

Non-paying users (Free2Play Users) should absolutely be allowed to X amount of "Free" Ranked PvP plays before they need to start purchasing passes and battles. This should be no more than 3-4 free battles a day or 10 free battles a week. After the free battles, they must wait for the daily/weekly timer to reset or purchase extra battles / passes. People with memberships avoid this limitation.

Why? It gives everyone the ability to earn a rank, makes it worth something again. If you give them a taste of what they can have, then they will more than likely decide that they love to PvP and will buy a membership to PvP all day and become a true PvP Warlord making the rank mean something again. It also allows them to submit feedback in a broader way allowing the issue of everyone arguing about their school not being buffed enough. If gives the Developers a broader pool to see where the issues lay.

People battling in in ranked PvP need to be paired / sorted by First: Character Level (+/- 8 levels) then Second: PvP Rank (no more than a 250 point difference, unless no pairs can be made then ask the lowest PvP ranking member if they would like to continue the battle with a person more than 250 point difference).

Why? This removes all issues where different levels are in different casting abilities. Why the number "8"? Each new spell is roughly every 10 levels, if you're within that range of each other, there is no excuse on people using spells 20+ levels above them. Limiting the pairing of rank points prevents Rank 550 being paired with a 1200 Warlord.

Update/start a spammable spells list and manage rules for spells. This does not mean remove spells or nerf them. It means make rules built into the PvP system. A good example would be "May only cast Plague once every other round up to 2 casts per team." Rules like this will allow people going second an opportunity to remove the plagues and re-level the playing field. And thus making it important to know when to cast it.
Why? Once it is started, spells can be added to Wikis and learn that spamming X is not a strategy and therefore everyone must abide by the built in PvP game mechanics or go buy a house with a PvP arena to play "dirty". It also forces everyone to rebuild their PvP strategies.

Lastly, before I end this post and open it up to feedback from both Staff and fellow players; Bind spells to the wizards level during PvP. It is a basic value setting added to each spell and then checked before they are allowed to join a ranked PvP match. Ex: a Colossus TC is bound to level 42+. Therefore that prevents low level PvP from abusing level 110 spells.
Why? It now removes people from using OP cards for their level in PvP where others may not have the same ability to go buy or make those cards. Now a level 5 Ice Wizard cannot spam a Blizzard TC that is way above it's level. This will absolutely balance low level PvP. All it does is place fairness onto the system.
if cardLevel > charLevel then disableMatchjoin

This is not a post to complain about cards or a school(s). This is strictly for absolutely genuine feedback from both us, the players and the Staff to pass up to the Developers. Ideas need to be well rounded and not one sided.
Aha this is gonna be fun

I do like the idea of F2P players being able to have like 10 matches a day or something. This'll draw more people into a membership.

The thing about the level differences is this: at max level, high rank exalted wizards get matched up with low rank visionary wizards and they don't have all that much trouble. Sure, they won't have their Polaris, Empyrea or Mirage spells, but in some cases those aren't really needed at exalted. The thing about PvP rank is that you already have the try all opponents option, which higher ranks use, but you can also leave it unchecked to get people around your level. While I'll never be a fan of how flawed this is [my legendary myth who got lore spammed from first 7 times in a row and got hella dropped vs going second to a grandmaster ice 2k overlord who blades 3x and crits a frostbite the round I go to earthquake him, for reference] it's still a step in the right direction and shows us that they have the concept right.

I saw the green text and I was like "Oh yeah! You're the guy who only does team PvP!". I am definitely against plague spammers and that's why I stay out of team play but in 1v1 it sure would be nice to just not get lore spammed to death every time I face a balance. Maybe just add something that doesn't let someone use the same attack spell twice in a row, or something like that. Maybe only if it has an after-effect, because the spells that don't have an after effect aren't really all that bad.

Red text: This is exactly what made me want to reply to this lol. There is genuine strategy in keeping a Lord of Winter tc or a Celestial Calendar tc in side. It's good burst damage when you get an open shot. And, with this in place, you'd be single-handedly killing off low level PvP. That revolves around two things: spamming hits and using the occasional higher level hit. If someone tries to use a Minotaur [common strategy at level 10-16] tc to get around a shield they wouldn't be able to. Strategies like that are what helps people out a lot with lower level PvP since shields would ultimately be the best spell due to a low level's natural inability to break them. Overtimes are also included in this - a Frostbite tc or a Poison tc would definitely be in an ice or death wizard's arsenal since Fire alone has an overtime before the end of the Krokosphinx, a place most people leave around level 18-20.

Let's also not forget the fact that hybrid TC exist like Arcticzilla, as well as the various MooShu & Marleybone creatures like the O'Leary Charlatan and Oni No Plague spells. These do good burst damage as well and aren't very expensive as far as pips go.

So overall, I know you mean well, but most of it could be executed better.