Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Grizzleheim Lore Pack NOT WORTH IT...

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Normally I don’t pack rant, but this is something that really has cut me to my core and needs to be addressed or at the very least people need to know. The new Grizzleheim Lore Pack is not worth buying period. And I hear people saying “-but new spells!”, “-but new life AoE!”, Loremaster will probably start dropping them sometime eventually, hate to say it. So why did I buy this pack for the furniture, yes, the furniture and we’ll get to that. What I've come to say is this pack is just overhyped and it gets more credit than it deserves and people need to realize that before they dump crowns into it.

First, the shorter summary of the longer rant to follow. I spent $60 on 60k crowns with the complete intention of blowing all of it in this pack, for furniture, pets, and whatever other goodies there might be. I didn’t want the spells; I didn’t want them because they’re not for schools I typically play. After spending 60k crowns on as many packs as possible I can honestly say I was left asking “is this it? Is this all this pack drops?”. Partly because of the rumor that KingsIlse lowered the drop rates of all the themed items in this pack as to make them harder to get so people would buy more packs, and I’m starting to think it’s true. Because this pack is basically 80% pet snacks, gardening, and treasure card filler that you’re going to get annoying large quantities of, 10% housing items which you’ll get dropped a few of VERY repetitively, 5% armor and wands which are meh stat-wise, 4% pets less than half of which are new, .07% useless spells that either need a buff or a better effect, and the top .03% is a singular spell that only favors a specific school and is only viable at lower levels. This saddens me deeply; I thought the creators were better than this.

One would think that KI with their knowledge that people are going to buy packs and ultimately walk away somewhat disappointed because they didn't get a certain item they wanted, that they would create filler items that helped ease the buyer's remorse if not negate it in certain cases. Is that not how it should be?

Now for part 1 of the longer explanation, warning harsh criticism may follow.

Firstly, the thing that KI did right with his pack:

The Fenrir, Fenric, and Fenris pets are nice, their cool looking and offer some okay spells for first generation pets (I won’t harp on them too much because pets are moldable things and there’s not much information of their first-generation traits)

The spells are beautifully animated, hands down they’re awesome and the team that made them deserves a pet on the back or whatever piece of candy that’s laying around.

The voices of the Life school have been heard and Life players may rejoice in the knowledge that there’s finally a low level AoE spell, Ratatoskr’s Spin, that does a wonderfully decent amount of damage.

And that’s basically it, for the good stuff. The other two spells is where the negatives start.

Grendel’s Amends is the Myth spell no one necessarily wanted or needed because Satyr is simply more effective. To explain this, you’re in combat you and low and health and have a choice between Satyr, which is 4 pips, and
Grendel’s Amends which is 5. Setting flashy flare aside, why in in you’re right mind would you wait an extra round for less healing with Grendel’s amends when you could cast Satyr a round earlier and receive more healing?! This is now a crowns exclusive spell that has a very VERY low drop chance and it is inferior to an already existing free spell that can be accessed through training points. To make matters worse a mastery amulet won’t fix this issue, you only need 2 power pips for Satyr and Grendel’s Amends takes 2 power pips and 1 normal pip to cast, even if you’re a myth wizard you’d still be better off spending the training points on Satyr and not wasting your money chasing a pack exclusive spell that currently doesn’t compete with existing healing spells.

Thor’s Hammer is also rather sad because it’s basically a lesser version of Winter Moon (which is already dropped by the Shaman’s Lore Pack and the Loremaster or it can be crafted) the only difference is Thor’s hammer removes a negative charm instead of stunning the target, to which I shrug over this difference, because if you stack you deck right in the round your enemy is stunned you could cast a 0 pip Cleanse Charm and be fine. On top of this the spell’s accuracy is very low, leaving it less to be desired at lower levels because lower level gear doesn’t provide hefty accuracy buffs and you don’t have access to enchantments to fix that unless you buy tc’s of those spells (which KI has said they’re planning to do something about, if they haven’t already). On top of this Winter Moon still has Thor’s hammer beat in base damage which is surprising because Ice is not known for being a heavy hitter. Thus, Winter Moon is just a more effective spell that is more readily accessible without spending possibly large sums of crowns.

That it for spell critique but I’m not done yet.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
The Lore Keeper on Aug 6, 2019 wrote:
Normally I don’t pack rant, but this is something that really has cut me to my core and needs to be addressed or at the very least people need to know. The new Grizzleheim Lore Pack is not worth buying period. And I hear people saying “-but new spells!”, “-but new life AoE!”, Loremaster will probably start dropping them sometime eventually, hate to say it. So why did I buy this pack for the furniture, yes, the furniture and we’ll get to that. What I've come to say is this pack is just overhyped and it gets more credit than it deserves and people need to realize that before they dump crowns into it.

First, the shorter summary of the longer rant to follow. I spent $60 on 60k crowns with the complete intention of blowing all of it in this pack, for furniture, pets, and whatever other goodies there might be. I didn’t want the spells; I didn’t want them because they’re not for schools I typically play. After spending 60k crowns on as many packs as possible I can honestly say I was left asking “is this it? Is this all this pack drops?”. Partly because of the rumor that KingsIlse lowered the drop rates of all the themed items in this pack as to make them harder to get so people would buy more packs, and I’m starting to think it’s true. Because this pack is basically 80% pet snacks, gardening, and treasure card filler that you’re going to get annoying large quantities of, 10% housing items which you’ll get dropped a few of VERY repetitively, 5% armor and wands which are meh stat-wise, 4% pets less than half of which are new, .07% useless spells that either need a buff or a better effect, and the top .03% is a singular spell that only favors a specific school and is only viable at lower levels. This saddens me deeply; I thought the creators were better than this.

One would think that KI with their knowledge that people are going to buy packs and ultimately walk away somewhat disappointed because they didn't get a certain item they wanted, that they would create filler items that helped ease the buyer's remorse if not negate it in certain cases. Is that not how it should be?

The Fenrir, Fenric, and Fenris pets are nice, their cool looking and offer some okay spells for first generation pets (I won’t harp on them too much because pets are moldable things and there’s not much information of their first-generation traits)

The spells are beautifully animated, hands down they’re awesome and the team that made them deserves a pet on the back or whatever piece of candy that’s laying around.

The voices of the Life school have been heard and Life players may rejoice in the knowledge that there’s finally a low level AoE spell, Ratatoskr’s Spin, that does a wonderfully decent amount of damage.

And that’s basically it, for the good stuff. The other two spells is where the negatives start.

Grendel’s Amends is the Myth spell no one necessarily wanted or needed because Satyr is simply more effective. To explain this, you’re in combat you and low and health and have a choice between Satyr, which is 4 pips, and
Grendel’s Amends which is 5. Setting flashy flare aside, why in in you’re right mind would you wait an extra round for less healing with Grendel’s amends when you could cast Satyr a round earlier and receive more healing?! This is now a crowns exclusive spell that has a very VERY low drop chance and it is inferior to an already existing free spell that can be accessed through training points. To make matters worse a mastery amulet won’t fix this issue, you only need 2 power pips for Satyr and Grendel’s Amends takes 2 power pips and 1 normal pip to cast, even if you’re a myth wizard you’d still be better off spending the training points on Satyr and not wasting your money chasing a pack exclusive spell that currently doesn’t compete with existing healing spells.

Thor’s Hammer is also rather sad because it’s basically a lesser version of Winter Moon (which is already dropped by the Shaman’s Lore Pack and the Loremaster or it can be crafted) the only difference is Thor’s hammer removes a negative charm instead of stunning the target, to which I shrug over this difference, because if you stack you deck right in the round your enemy is stunned you could cast a 0 pip Cleanse Charm and be fine. On top of this the spell’s accuracy is very low, leaving it less to be desired at lower levels because lower level gear doesn’t provide hefty accuracy buffs and you don’t have access to enchantments to fix that unless you buy tc’s of those spells (which KI has said they’re planning to do something about, if they haven’t already). On top of this Winter Moon still has Thor’s hammer beat in base damage which is surprising because Ice is not known for being a heavy hitter. Thus, Winter Moon is just a more effective spell that is more readily accessible without spending possibly large sums of crowns.

Moving on the armor and wand is really lacking luster. The stats aren’t as good as armor we’ve seen in other packs and honestly this is nothing new or surprising as I find pack armor is rarely worth it stat wise (save for certain pieces of the professor themed armor sets). But what really irks me about the equipment is the aesthetics of the pieces (what follows is my opinion a please do not feel offended if you do not agree) its like a bad version of Aquila ran into the pop culture regurgitation of Thor. And the wand doesn't feel remotely GH themed, have you seen a single warrior in GH use a spear? Other than the boar tribes? It just looks like a reincarnation of every other crowns, pack, and bundle spear in existence.

When I look at the equipment as a complete whole, I don’t see a Norse/Viking or even Grizzleheim theme at all. I wasn’t entirely sure of what the theme was supposed to be when I saw it initially. When I think of a videogame style Norse and Viking themed armor I think of metal, runic markings, intricate carvings, war paint, leather, hide, chainmail, feathers, and furs. Some of these appear in previous GH themed armor sets, even standing in this armor in GH one cannot help but feel out of place, it doesn’t match the world aesthetic at all, it barely lines up with the design of the pet and this is supposed to be the Grizzleheim Lore Pack! Even ancient Norse and Viking weapons are mostly swords, wooden round shields, axes (lots and lots of axes), hammers, bows, etc… The weapons they used were somewhat crude but it’s what they had; however, no expense was spared for the weapons of the greatest warriors and chieftains to a point where they were buried with their weapons. Even if Thor was what they were going for, when I think Thor in a fantasy game I don’t think of the pop culture depiction of him, I think of Thor, God of Thunder, who carries a hammer so heavy legend says only Thor himself possessed the strength to wield it, not toga with winged helmet and eye patch. The Wizard101 team is well known for putting in great amounts of time and effort to research, as to depict their world inspirations properly as well as put their own spin on things (as seen in Aquila, Marleybone, Zafaria, and many others). It was obvious with the release of Grizzleheim how much work the team put into creating a world that did its inspiration some degree of justice, this pack sadly doesn’t do justice to its world.

Continuing with this, I’m sad there’s no mount that comes with this pack but that is typical of lore packs. I could suggest, if you want to stay in the Norse god-esque theme, Odin’s eight legged horse Sleipnir, if not than perhaps the Kelpie a mysterious shapeshifting water spirit that often takes the form of a horse, either would have been a great choice for a pack mount.

Then there’s the filler which really makes me sad, the drops rates are all over the place and most of it is stuff that already exists. Aside from everything previously mentioned which are things we have come as community to expect of new hoard and lore packs, however when it comes to filler this pack is tiny. There’s not a lot of variation in the pack, most of the fill is made up of gardening, pet snacks, and tc’s. But looking back at the previous world themed lore packs each delivered a large to massive chunks of new world themed furniture, event he Raven’s Hoard pack delivered more furniture than this pack dig. And while the few new pieces that we got were great and absolutely stunning to look at, but the drop rates are still very weird and inconsistent. It’s like they didn’t even try to put in more furniture, when there are previous lore packs with seemingly complete sets as well as housing guests in some of them. What’s worse is most of the models already exist in game, and correct me if I am over simplifying things but how difficult is it to make a copy of an item model, make that copy a housing item, assign it a drop rate, and buy and sell prices? There are so many things just sitting in front of the creators that could have been in this pack as housing items, the other wall shields from inside the Northguard’s Great Hall, the Red Berry Bushes from the Vigrid Roughland, the giant loom the Norns help us use in the Wintertusk questline, the golden seal statues the Coven try to get from Ymir’s sons, unique housing guests of various wolves, ravens, bears and boars, they could have even done one of the wyrm Nithogg, and the geysers would even have made a great interactive housing item that could have even given benefits to certain plants in gardening. That could be just the tip of the iceberg if you really think about it. It’s like KI stopped caring about creating new and interesting stuff to put in their packs.
Honestly if anyone is going to make the investment into buying packs and likely walk away with lots of stuff they didn’t want, then shouldn’t KI feel somewhat obligated to ensure the packs contain interesting items which lessen the buyer’s remorse if not negate it?

It overall very disappointing to see this from KI, and half of me desperately wants to be proven wrong and to see proof that I am (if I do I will gladly eat my own words). I love the world of Grizzleheim and everything Grizzleheim, the big reason behind me blowing 60 k crowns on this pack was mostly to decorate my GH castles with GH themed items. Grizzleheim as a world is just amazing and the effort an care that went into shows just walking around there, which makes this pack all the worse because it just looks like they didn’t bother to put the same time into this pack that they did with other Lore packs in regards to the pack as a whole. Each and every hoard and lore pack thus far has been distinctly unique, but this just feels like a mishmash of various items that have been recycled, and reskinned tossed atop items we've seen before with only a select few new that actually feel Grizzleheim themed.

I really hope KI knows how disappointing this is, and I'm sorry if it hurts their feelings but I honestly expected better of them.

Anyway, if you read all of this then congratulations you made it to the end, thank you for taking the time to listen to me rant I needed that off my chest.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
The worst thing about this pack is that the WANDS MAY CAST hit yourself for about 1k damage and only give you a 25% blade. I was disappointed in wands. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or not.

Defender
Dec 30, 2011
mogis on Aug 10, 2019 wrote:
The worst thing about this pack is that the WANDS MAY CAST hit yourself for about 1k damage and only give you a 25% blade. I was disappointed in wands. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or not.
That's definitely a bug. There's no way that the spells would hit yourself.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
$60k on a pack man i wish i was there with you :( . Well i can say i have a very differentiated opinion about this, so lets start off with the original intent behind the pack. First and for most, when i first saw the initial release i thought ya the hype is gonna be solely for the spells especially the life one. As you mention life been dying to receive a 4 pip aoe spell while the other 2 isn't much to die for. A myth heals was asked by the popular vote, however considering myth is a damage school i thought giving myth a heal that came close to satyr would be problematic in pvp. So it needed some type of pip control as to not be spammable, but when i realize the myth heal did 675 i knew right away by right it should have been a 4 pip spell. Since myth have better critical than death and life id figured using 150 radicals would improve heal to 825 which can critical x2 and takes incoming and outgoing into account.

What disappoints me ,is the fact that storm voted not once but twice on getting a damage overtime yet k i decided to discredit the popular vote and sided with the unpopular. Even so not only did they release an initial weaker spell compared to winter moon with a decent effect but the cost value of the spell in itself is down right outrageous. As for the gears in itself, we have to realize pay to win gears should not become a trend like how its been in the consistent past. Therefore, i don't agree that crown related theme should have an impact as a whole more so than farm-able content. As for the theme i personally like the concept of the gear design especially the wand and helm but as for the may cast of the wand am not quiet sure how and why Zeus is even considered a thing around this since hes Greek and Odin is Norse mythology.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
angellifeheart on Aug 11, 2019 wrote:
$60k on a pack man i wish i was there with you :( . Well i can say i have a very differentiated opinion about this, so lets start off with the original intent behind the pack. First and for most, when i first saw the initial release i thought ya the hype is gonna be solely for the spells especially the life one. As you mention life been dying to receive a 4 pip aoe spell while the other 2 isn't much to die for. A myth heals was asked by the popular vote, however considering myth is a damage school i thought giving myth a heal that came close to satyr would be problematic in pvp. So it needed some type of pip control as to not be spammable, but when i realize the myth heal did 675 i knew right away by right it should have been a 4 pip spell. Since myth have better critical than death and life id figured using 150 radicals would improve heal to 825 which can critical x2 and takes incoming and outgoing into account.

What disappoints me ,is the fact that storm voted not once but twice on getting a damage overtime yet k i decided to discredit the popular vote and sided with the unpopular. Even so not only did they release an initial weaker spell compared to winter moon with a decent effect but the cost value of the spell in itself is down right outrageous. As for the gears in itself, we have to realize pay to win gears should not become a trend like how its been in the consistent past. Therefore, i don't agree that crown related theme should have an impact as a whole more so than farm-able content. As for the theme i personally like the concept of the gear design especially the wand and helm but as for the may cast of the wand am not quiet sure how and why Zeus is even considered a thing around this since hes Greek and Odin is Norse mythology.
I agree the storm spell either needs a massive buff or its effect reworked in order to be a viable 5 pip spell. If not that then it needs to have it pip cost lowered.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
I spent about 100,000 Crowns on the pack. Between mostly my Myth and Life lower level wizards. I got 1 spell....the Myth Spell on My Life Wizard. I got mostly TC's and Pet Snacks. I got much furniture of the same thing because there really is not very much housing items in this pack anyway. I did not find the housing items very useful and sold most of them.

So I agree with the Poster, I like the pets, but feel like spending 100,000 not worth it.

What is going on with KI. It's almost like they are trying to get rid of us, by implementing these extremely low drop rates, and not offering at least some more nice housing items that they can really use. I'm no artist, but i can imagine some really nice housing items that could be offered in exchange for the very low drop rate of spells and mount.

You open All These Packs and you expect some duplicates, you expect some TC's, you expect quite a few pet snacks......But Gosh Really?? It's noticeably getting worse in drop rates of things you really want out of a pack.

After this last time of opening all these packs...I have decided not to buy as many crowns, and to never go on another pack opening spree again. It was a bad habit of mine I need to break now.

Very Sad, Come on KI....you are better than this
Scarlet ShadowStone

Administrator
hopefulz33 on Aug 16, 2019 wrote:
I spent about 100,000 Crowns on the pack. Between mostly my Myth and Life lower level wizards. I got 1 spell....the Myth Spell on My Life Wizard. I got mostly TC's and Pet Snacks. I got much furniture of the same thing because there really is not very much housing items in this pack anyway. I did not find the housing items very useful and sold most of them.

So I agree with the Poster, I like the pets, but feel like spending 100,000 not worth it.

What is going on with KI. It's almost like they are trying to get rid of us, by implementing these extremely low drop rates, and not offering at least some more nice housing items that they can really use. I'm no artist, but i can imagine some really nice housing items that could be offered in exchange for the very low drop rate of spells and mount.

You open All These Packs and you expect some duplicates, you expect some TC's, you expect quite a few pet snacks......But Gosh Really?? It's noticeably getting worse in drop rates of things you really want out of a pack.

After this last time of opening all these packs...I have decided not to buy as many crowns, and to never go on another pack opening spree again. It was a bad habit of mine I need to break now.

Very Sad, Come on KI....you are better than this
Scarlet ShadowStone
Thanks everyone for the feedback! To be clear, the drop rates have not changed here...

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Sparck on Aug 16, 2019 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! To be clear, the drop rates have not changed here...
Thanks Sparck, it's good to know that someone over there is listening.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I bought a few Grizzleheim packs.

I love love love when there re new packs.

I got a couple of tables, and some seeds, and I think maybe a wall hanging of some sort. It seemed ilke thing that could be purchased or crafted in the past.

I think I got a sword or wand too?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Cowan lifesong on Aug 11, 2019 wrote:
That's definitely a bug. There's no way that the spells would hit yourself.
Don't some spells cause damage to the caster in return for healing a teammate or wounding an enemy?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Sparck on Aug 16, 2019 wrote:
Perhaps, but instead of having people play lottery games with packs, and if you really would consider the aspect from a business perspective, if you set the max cap spent amount for a spell around 15k-20k guaranteed 100% drop, i can guarantee that more people would actually be willing to buy crowns to spend on pack openings.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
No. None of the spells are self inflicted. There is a life aoe, myth heal , and a good storm spell that just needs its pip adjusted to 4.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
So the pack has a potential of gifting a permanent spell?

My Storm is for whatever reason a luckier wiz with that...it got Pigsie before...maybe I will try a couple of Grizzleheim packs on the Storm.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
So, I tried a few more (or more ) packs for each wiz.

This time I got some of those pets people say are new and rare? Fenris, fenric, fenrir. One of those I got only one, the others more than one, total.

Other than that -- no spells. Mostly seeds.

Common pets I had a lot of before: the green gremlin who dances around. One of those bat wing lady things? Harpy? A hat or robe, or two. A book shelf or two.

Mostly seeds. I don't garden, so that will probably pack it up, for me.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
It may be true what Spark says about the fact that the drop rate has not changed. They are missing the point that it is the "Quality" of the drops that people are complaining about.

When you get the same useless housing items, useless pets with very low pedigree, countless seeds and so on and so forth, there comes a point when buying these packs is worst than gambling odds. At least, in most Casino card games, you usually know ahead of time what the house odds of every game is. And luck also plays a role always knowing that they have the odds in their favor.

In my view, new spells should never be in those packs to entice players. Either, make them available to everyone for crafting with a realistic requirement of reagents/Tc's or part of a new quest which should be challenging. That is the way that most spells have been learned from every school.

It is becoming a money grabbing exercise from KI not healthy for the game. Happy customers stick around, unhappy will leave

Great to see the team coming up with new spells, some of which were asked by players. However, listen to your community when there is so much negative.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2010
I too am really disappointed with the Grizzleheim pack. Spent the greater part of 50 dollars worth of crowns on the packs on my myth and life and received no spell. What’s worse is that there is no boss to drop spell or craft option. It seems as though this is just a way to make users spend excessive crowns which is not very free to play friendly. Especially since the life spell is particularly useful to life wizards. There should be an alternate way to obtain the spell either through a key boss. Lore master or a craftsman in the game. At the least they should make it an easier drop because it’s KI has always been pretty fair on creating an even playing field between free to play and members in the past.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I've noticed that pets won in packs now say they can't be bred.

Is that new?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Has anyone tried the new Dragon pack?
Honestly there was some old stuff in it. I got the dragon statues of various types, mostly. (I sold them.)

But I got a cool mount. So, there is some cool stuff in it, too.

Defender
Oct 12, 2017
The Lore Keeper on Aug 6, 2019 wrote:

He did say after all, the drop rates have not changed. So that means they been low from the start. But have you at least considered the schools of the spells? No storm would want an ice spell winter moon, thors hammer is actually more because storm is stronger, and the spell looks a lot better. If they really wanted to remove 2 charms just use catch of the day spell. But come to think of it, that spell does need to be changed to a stun or something since storm doesnt have it. Or a shield remover. No myth has time for a life mastery amulet for satyr especially if they quest solo. And life masteries are impossible to earn

Defender
Oct 12, 2017
Literally the only spell that’s increased to drop is the squirrel for life wizards. Cause they desperately need it.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2009
I've felt like I've already spent too much on the dang pack to get Ratatoskr Spin. I already told myself I'm not buying membership again UNTIL I get that spell. I really do wish this spell was just a part of a sidequest or something.