Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help figuring out hatching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2015
I just came back to this game after 4 years or so, and I never really got into pets before I left so im fairly confused on them.

Currently, im a level 63 death wizard whos looking for a deathdactyl trip/double or a double/double/crit.

I know I should have a good starting pet, however I dont have any death starting pets. Currently I have an iron golem and a red ghost. Should I buy a starting death pet? If so, which one?

Also, if i got the gist of this from the reading ive done, I need to:
hatch a good starting pet with a pet from someone else (likely the kiosk).
If the talent pool or stats increase in the egg, train to adult and use it to hatch a new (hopefully better) one.

Then just rinse and repeat until the egg has the same talent pool and stats as the good one being hatched with (and is hopefully now a deathdactyl instead of the starting pet)

After that, is it just getting a copy of the deathdactyl and breeding with eachother, then training it until it only manifests the desired talents?

If anyone can help, thank you in advance.

Defender
Mar 12, 2018
dalonewolf312 on Jun 17, 2019 wrote:
I just came back to this game after 4 years or so, and I never really got into pets before I left so im fairly confused on them.

Currently, im a level 63 death wizard whos looking for a deathdactyl trip/double or a double/double/crit.

I know I should have a good starting pet, however I dont have any death starting pets. Currently I have an iron golem and a red ghost. Should I buy a starting death pet? If so, which one?

Also, if i got the gist of this from the reading ive done, I need to:
hatch a good starting pet with a pet from someone else (likely the kiosk).
If the talent pool or stats increase in the egg, train to adult and use it to hatch a new (hopefully better) one.

Then just rinse and repeat until the egg has the same talent pool and stats as the good one being hatched with (and is hopefully now a deathdactyl instead of the starting pet)

After that, is it just getting a copy of the deathdactyl and breeding with eachother, then training it until it only manifests the desired talents?

If anyone can help, thank you in advance.
Welcome back! You may be surprised to learn that the Red Ghost is actually considered to be a very rare and desirable Death pet due to the Death Damage global ring it provides. This is a card that you can only get from that pet and if you are a Death Wizard who wants to deal damage, you might find yourself searching high and low for a Red Ghost. So, that's a great base pet. You might even decide that the Red Ghost is what you want after all.

It does seem like you have the gist of how the hatching process works as far as copying talents goes. Just raise your ghost to adult and go from there. There is a great article that lays it out in aa very simple way at Ravenwood Academy called "The Piggle Method" Simply use your ghost in place of the Piggle in the article.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. I am always happy to help when I can:

http://bit.ly/PiggleMethod

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Nathan Darkhorn on Jun 18, 2019 wrote:
Welcome back! You may be surprised to learn that the Red Ghost is actually considered to be a very rare and desirable Death pet due to the Death Damage global ring it provides. This is a card that you can only get from that pet and if you are a Death Wizard who wants to deal damage, you might find yourself searching high and low for a Red Ghost. So, that's a great base pet. You might even decide that the Red Ghost is what you want after all.

It does seem like you have the gist of how the hatching process works as far as copying talents goes. Just raise your ghost to adult and go from there. There is a great article that lays it out in aa very simple way at Ravenwood Academy called "The Piggle Method" Simply use your ghost in place of the Piggle in the article.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. I am always happy to help when I can:

http://bit.ly/PiggleMethod
I've just read the guide you've linked and it's really good. It's simple and clear...and the method is exactly what I advocate as the simplest effective method! Great guide, thanks for sharing it! I'll be recommending it too

The blood bat is another great pet to start from (250 gold from Tennant Wastelander) and only has common or uncommon talents in the 1st gen pool (piggle has 1 rare talent).

A good max stat base pet can be to make a max stat blood bat with 1st gen talents to use to hatch against any other pet you're copying. I have made these for sharing (kiosk - Smelly Hannah) if anyone would like to copy them

I agree with your suggestion to dalonewolf to follow the piggle method using his red ghost instead of a piggle, it's a great pet. Maybe looking for a red ghost to copy would be good too so the body type can be preserved. They're available in the kiosk and I quickly found a max stat one with great talents being offered

Survivor
Jul 25, 2015
Thank you for the information! I finally got my deathdactyl to hatch from my bronze golem. Unfortunately, both of the deathdactyls I have hatched have also manifested myth assailant because of the bronze golem, so it looks like I need to figure out how to farm snacks as a low level so I can afford to bring that out.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
dalonewolf312 on Jun 21, 2019 wrote:
Thank you for the information! I finally got my deathdactyl to hatch from my bronze golem. Unfortunately, both of the deathdactyls I have hatched have also manifested myth assailant because of the bronze golem, so it looks like I need to figure out how to farm snacks as a low level so I can afford to bring that out.
Hatch over and over at adult without worrying too much about the manifested talents. Get the stat bars to show the max numbers (no need to fill them, it's about the number next to them getting to max at this stage) and get the pool passed over. Even if you're getting a 'fail' talent, this is a between pet. If the stats and pool are even slightly closer to the one you're copying then keep going with it. The biggest mistake I find people making is discarding a 'between pet' because they mistakenly think it's a 'fail'!

Keep going and any questions let us know...I'm happy to help any way I can

Good luck and happy hatching!