Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What School should I Pick? Guide

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
you check out the forums for tips and all you see is arguments on which is the worst well here's my opinion

This class is an excellent class to start with it has a balance of Ice's accuracy and Storm's incredible damage output. A fair amount of health and defense.

The pinnacle of defense this class lacks attack power but can take hits like a champ. High health and high accuracy.

This class is argued to be 1 of the worst classes but after playing it i say bologna! the class lacks accuracy and health but hits very very hard. if you want to play a class where you wanna risk your character's life with one final attack play storm. (believe me pulling off a comeback victory at very low health is immensely satisfying)

Another excellent starter class death sacrifices its own health to heal or benefit itself or team has a great damage output and moderate defense, steal health spells are popular for a reason)

Another high defense class life is a healer class that focuses on support but lacks great attack power but has excellent accuracy.

this class needs a complete overhaul. this class can summon minions and is the only class that can stun for more than 1 round but that's it lower accuracy than death and lower defense than life. its useful in pvp for stunning enemy players but not very good outside of that.'

this class is even harder than storm.low health moderate damage and accuracy. this class is a team player only its main way of playing is buffing allies.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Just to clarify a few things here:

- The school actually has a lower accuracy than ice's. Fire is 75% while ice is 80%.

- The school does gain some amounts of damage during the latter portion of the game. It must be emphasized that this additional of power will not equate to what storm and fire is able to give off.

- Storm's accuracy increases dramatically at about the level 50 - 60 region. This of course depends highly on gear. The school will still suffer from low defensive mechanisms but it should be noted that the school gets it's own version of a healing spell called Healing Current at level 75.

- Very good school for starters. Good accuracy and relatively normal damage.

- Must be noted that life can completely stand and handle itself on its own. The damage output is indeed a bit lower than most classes, but that does not mean that the school is incapable of dealing large hits.

- Balance is one of the more difficult classes to play. The universal charms/wards, lack of a prism etc. can be difficult to adjust to. The school however has great health. The third highest with Ice and Life holding the top two positions. The school is also to defend itself effectively and can also deal large damages if used correctly.

- Currently the least preferred and utilized school amongst all others within Wizards. The school has adequate damage and pretty good accuracy. Health is adequate too; about the same or so to fire's.

It is important to note though that any school can be used as that "best school" if utilized to its maximum capabilities.

Instead of focusing on the shortcomings of your wizard, try to spend time propelling and utilizing its strengths.

Have fun while you're at it too!

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
Star Edward is right about focusing on the negative. all the classes have their own play style granted some are a lot more difficult. but his list adds information to mine so feel free to use both

Explorer
Nov 21, 2011
- An all-round, good school. Surprisingly durable late-game, heavy damage output, rips through shields with ease (so many DoTs!) and i honestly don't think it has a single bad attack spell (aside from Immolate, maybe!). My personal favourite, and is one of the schools i would recommend to a new player.

- It just refuses to die! Even at mid-game i have enemies hitting me for laughably weak amounts of damage. However, it doesn't hit very hard. And while i don't think it's the weakest (Although it's probably second/third weakest..), you're not gonna like this school if you dislike slow play.

- Holy mother of damage. The early accuracy is appallingly bad, but later on down the line, accuracy is fairly easy to come by, as well as accuracy jewels that give a sizeable boost. The health and resist is still relatively poor though- it really is a glass cannon.

- With multi-hits in the form of Minotaur and Orthrus, good stunning capability with Medusa, utility that is overall, second only to Balance, and health that is on par with Fire, Myth is more versatile than most people think. The only downside is the massive neglect phase the school has throughout the second arc- the lack of all hits means you're going to be stuck with Humongofrog and Earthquake (which is hilarious to use, btw) for a long time. If you're able to push past that neglect phase though, Myth can actually be very enjoyable. Give it a shot!

- The medic. The damage is overall weakest of any class (Even Ice outclasses it!), and much like Myth, it has a neglect phase, however this neglect is throughout the third arc instead of the second arc. The accuracy is superb though- you might be able to ditch accuracy jewels and fit something else! Needless to say, Life's healing capabilities are the best of any class, and is a must for many teams. It can handle itself fine in a solo situation, but this one is really more built for team play.

- Being able to hit relatively hard (with a few blades, of course!) and return to full health with a single attack is something that Death can do with ease. This alone makes it what i feel is the easiest school to play for PVE. This is the other school i would recommend to a new player.

- Balance can be tough to get used to. Lacking a prism means that this school is it's own worst enemy, forcing you to be entirely reliant on off-school attacks to damage your own school. Fortunately, this is something that Balance is not short of, having the likes of Hydra and Chimera at it's disposal, which also double as multi-hits! The utility is the best in the game, and the health pool and resist are both excellent. Due to this school being tough to get used to, i would not recommend it for a new player, but if you're a veteran looking for a different take on the game, let Balance welcome you with open arms!

Your opinion may vary, as there is no objectively 'best school'. All schools have their pros and cons, but it's really about finding the school that is right for you