Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does pedigree matter

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 02, 2019
So I am trying to get a deep leviathan, I finally got my enchanted armament up to adult today. I breeded my pet which has a pedigree of 67 and the deep leviathan which has a pedigree of 59. After I did that I got a stormsquall egg but it has a pedigree of 74. Does the pedigree of the egg determine what pet I get?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Thomas darkglade on Apr 10, 2019 wrote:
So I am trying to get a deep leviathan, I finally got my enchanted armament up to adult today. I breeded my pet which has a pedigree of 67 and the deep leviathan which has a pedigree of 59. After I did that I got a stormsquall egg but it has a pedigree of 74. Does the pedigree of the egg determine what pet I get?
Pedigree has no bearing on whether the pet is good/bad or better/worse than the one you hatched.

Each pet has 20 total talents in their pool. We have 10 regular talents and 10 derby talents. We are only ever able to manifest a maximum of 10 total (5 regular and 5 derby). Each level we train 'manifests' a talent from each pool (regular and derby).

Each talent has a rarity attributed to it - common, uncommon, rare, ultra-rare or epic.
Each rarity has a pedigree value - common = 1; uncommon = 2; rare = 3; ultra-rare = 4; epic = 5.

The pedigree of the pet is simply the sum of the talent values. The number in brackets next to the pedigree is the sum of the talent values in talents that have manifested...this will go up as we unlock new talents through training, while the actual pedigree will remain the same.

The rarity of a talent dictates the pedigree value, but does not reflect the value of the talent to the wizard. For example, storm giver is an uncommon talent. It gives only 2 points to the pedigree. However, it is 5% damage boost and a very desirable talent! Conversely, we have Screen (adds a smoke screen card to your deck) which is an epic talent, worth 5 pedigree points, but such a waste of a talent and of little/no use to a damage wizard.

If we look at a quint damage storm pet as an example, it can be a totally op pet that the storm wizzy really really wanted. It has:

Storm Dealer (10% damage boost) Ultra-Rare = 4 pedigree
Storm Giver (5% damage boost) Uncommon = 2 pedigree
Pain Giver (5% damage boost) Ultra-Rare = 4 pedigree
Pain Bringer (3% damage boost) Rare = 3 pedigree
Storm Boon (3% damage boost) Common = 1 pedigree

Not one of them are epic so in pedigree terms they all 'lose pedigree' - 5 epic talents total 25 pedigree points; these beautiful damages total 14 pedigree points!

Pedigree is not a good measure of the value of a pet and high pedigree only indicates more epic talents in the pool - many of which are unhelpful and difficult to hatch out of the pool!

There is no problem with your pedigree going up, this could even be purely due to derby talents, but don't base which pet is superior by comparing pedigree. The best way to compare is to look at the stats (the numbers by strength, intellect, agility, will and power) and the talent pool - make sure the talents you want are there. Your perfect pet may have a fairly low pedigree, but be an absolute beauty!

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Pedigree has no impact on anything that matters. It's a score of overall rarity for both talents and derby abilities, but says nothing about pet species, stats, or specific talents.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I does influence hatching cost though, so all else being equal, the lower the better, assuming the specific traits you want are there.