Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Blocking?? Impossible??

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 10, 2014
With the critical update that came with polaris 3 years ago (wow thats a long time ago) the critical system changed as many players know. Before the new system it was way easier to block a enemies critical. Then with the new system it became more challenging. It was still quite possible to get 80% or 500 block while having decent stats though with the new system when 110 was max. You could block most criticals but your power pips or accuracy would be low. Now with the max cap of 130 there has been a 20 level in crease in the level cap and with every level there is a critical decay. Its something like a 1% or 2% critical block loss every time we level up. By the time one gets to level 130 that 500 block is only 50%. 50% is way too low for sacrificing power pips and other stats just to get a one half chance to block a critical. Remember just 20 levels ago those same stats would give you 80% block, This much block would be worth the sacrifice. It feels like I get weaker when i level up and do a new world. What makes matters more worse is the fact that after polaris there was no real increase in block on gear to make up for that leveling up block decay. For example the malistare boots at level 100 gave 105 block. There should be some shoes at level 130 that would give the same percentage of block that the malistare boots 105 block gave at level 100. But there isnt. Even if there was, at the rate we are losing critical the boots would have to give like 185 block. I know kingsisle would never make boots that gave that much because it looks too overpowered. But the new crit and block on the new dropped gear is only being increased by like 8 and that is after 10 levels of leveling up and getting 2% or 1% block taken away each level from us. The new wands and amulets from mirage and up dont even give block at all. They give pip convertion. Something needs to be done about this as I would like to be able to block enemies again but its almost impossible to get the block I could get 20 levels ago. Leveling up has made me weak not stronger. Blocking criticals is important because it means life or death. A spell doing double can mean for sure death. Plus its so random even if I managed to get 80% block i have to take into account the fact i could still get landed on and die. vs the old system that if i kept blocking i knew i probably could block whatever hit was thrown my way. A step in the right direction would be to give gear with massive block to make up for the 20 levels of decay that makes it impossible to block things. Please take a look at this issue kingsisle, thanks

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Fred Frost on Mar 28, 2019 wrote:
With the critical update that came with polaris 3 years ago (wow thats a long time ago) the critical system changed as many players know. Before the new system it was way easier to block a enemies critical. Then with the new system it became more challenging. It was still quite possible to get 80% or 500 block while having decent stats though with the new system when 110 was max. You could block most criticals but your power pips or accuracy would be low. Now with the max cap of 130 there has been a 20 level in crease in the level cap and with every level there is a critical decay. Its something like a 1% or 2% critical block loss every time we level up. By the time one gets to level 130 that 500 block is only 50%. 50% is way too low for sacrificing power pips and other stats just to get a one half chance to block a critical. Remember just 20 levels ago those same stats would give you 80% block, This much block would be worth the sacrifice. It feels like I get weaker when i level up and do a new world. What makes matters more worse is the fact that after polaris there was no real increase in block on gear to make up for that leveling up block decay. For example the malistare boots at level 100 gave 105 block. There should be some shoes at level 130 that would give the same percentage of block that the malistare boots 105 block gave at level 100. But there isnt. Even if there was, at the rate we are losing critical the boots would have to give like 185 block. I know kingsisle would never make boots that gave that much because it looks too overpowered. But the new crit and block on the new dropped gear is only being increased by like 8 and that is after 10 levels of leveling up and getting 2% or 1% block taken away each level from us. The new wands and amulets from mirage and up dont even give block at all. They give pip convertion. Something needs to be done about this as I would like to be able to block enemies again but its almost impossible to get the block I could get 20 levels ago. Leveling up has made me weak not stronger. Blocking criticals is important because it means life or death. A spell doing double can mean for sure death. Plus its so random even if I managed to get 80% block i have to take into account the fact i could still get landed on and die. vs the old system that if i kept blocking i knew i probably could block whatever hit was thrown my way. A step in the right direction would be to give gear with massive block to make up for the 20 levels of decay that makes it impossible to block things. Please take a look at this issue kingsisle, thanks
I don't think landing a crit does double damage, at least in PvP. Isn't it like 30%?

I have just decided that I can either have lots of block or more damage. I've adjusted my PvP style to learn to take some critical hits and still do Okay.