Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Being "Defeated" glitch

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Me and my friends decided to pick this game back up after a few years of not playing and started out with new characters. So as we're fighting some boss one of us gets "Defeated". Well we kill the enemies without reviving him and when the enemies died he came back to life with 1 hp and got loot. Us being curious about this we decided to try it out on other enemies as well in different areas and sure enough it worked, the defeated person would come back with 1hp every time and receive drops like they hadn't been defeated. I don't know if this was a glitch or not because earlier today I got defeated and it started sending me to the commons this time. If anybody could provide some insight as to what was going on that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Leicrex

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Leicrex on Mar 27, 2019 wrote:
Me and my friends decided to pick this game back up after a few years of not playing and started out with new characters. So as we're fighting some boss one of us gets "Defeated". Well we kill the enemies without reviving him and when the enemies died he came back to life with 1 hp and got loot. Us being curious about this we decided to try it out on other enemies as well in different areas and sure enough it worked, the defeated person would come back with 1hp every time and receive drops like they hadn't been defeated. I don't know if this was a glitch or not because earlier today I got defeated and it started sending me to the commons this time. If anybody could provide some insight as to what was going on that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Leicrex
Were others with you that time you got sent back to The Commons? More details would be helpful. Also, I don't think it's a glitch, but I would like to know more about it myself.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks,
Leicrex
There was a recent update where you are allowed to get loot from a boss even if you have been defeated, pretty sure it is related to that. Could be it only works on boss battles, were the ones that sent you to the commons mob fights by any chance?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
What you described as been a known well should I say "feature" of the game ever since it's origin.

Usually, when you're involved within a battle with friends, if one gets defeated and the entire team is victorious, the defeated ally gets "revived" with one HP so that the quest rewards is also applicable and granted to said defeated person.

However, in recent years, this "feature" was exploited a little and has resulted within the game hammering down on it. Meaning, if you are defeated and the entire team is victorious, you're sent back to the nearest safe zone.

The "feature/glitch" works in a variety of dungeon instances as well but I would not recommend relying on it.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Lookit Light on Mar 27, 2019 wrote:
Were others with you that time you got sent back to The Commons? More details would be helpful. Also, I don't think it's a glitch, but I would like to know more about it myself.
Yes, others were with me when I got sent back, I was even playing on my alt account at the same time farming lambent fire. I'd just let me lower level tank hits since she'd come back anyways and it worked about 8 out of the 10 times I fought lambent fire but the other 2 she got sent back to the commons area of Avalon.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
KI changed this a while ago while I wasn't playing the game. I was confused when I came back.

But no this is not a glitch. If you participate in a battle and are defeated, if another person completes the battle you will win and the defeated will get drops as well as those alive.

I think why they changed this was because if you are defeated the same turn as the boss dies, it isn't fair that only some people get drops.

I guess even if we die but our teammates live, we technically still "win".

However, if you are alone you will be sent to the commons or the hub or the world you're in with 1 hp.

See you in the spiral!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks,
Leicrex
This is a fairly new change and I'm pretty sure KI changed it on purpose. You are remembering correctly, previously if you were defeated you would be sent back to the common area of that world every time after the boss was defeated. For some dungeons, this doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Now, defeated players can also receive the rewards...so there is no need to hold off on finishing the boss if someone is in a defeated state.

I'm not sure if it works in all situations, but it does appear to be an intended change for most dungeons while you are in a group/party (and for the better!) I'm assuming regular bosses and street mobs are the enemies that still send players back to the commons, but I have not tested that.

It didn't see any specific update notes about this particular situation, but the newest update notes did address a similar situation:

"Loot from defeated monsters will now show up even if a player flees and comes back"

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I'm sure this is a new thing. It happened in 2 locations the other day when I was helping someone lower level - Mount Olympus and then a One-Shot Master Duel. Both times he joined on the hit round and forgot to open a bottle to refresh his health, then died on a multi-hit. Both times he got drops!

I was so relieved because momentarily I felt sickened inside (he was the only one who actually needed the drops), then utter relief when he still got them

I'm glad we have this feature, it takes the pressure off the hitter as they don't need to worry about someone else forgetting to renew their health or potentially being one-shot defeated on the hit round. It's not always possible to hit and heal on the same round and this ensures anyone in the team gets their share of the loot. Sometimes people had been very active and contributed to a battle but something went wrong on the hit round and missed out on their loot - this feature preventing that is awesome