Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good Starter Pet

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2016
Hi I am a level 10 wizard. I am looking to get a good pet. Where do I start? The only pets I have now are the free piggle and cyclops. I haven't trained either of those yet because Im not sure they are worth it because they arent death pets. However, I am going to need at least one adult pet to start hatching to get a decent pet. Which pet should I train to start hatching?

Thanks for the help!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to the Message Boards!

Now, firstly, I encourage you to explore these links to kind of reinforce some concepts and techniques about Pet Hatching.

Hatchmaking Explained:

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-pet-guides/hatchmaking-explained/

A few things also you may want to keep in mind:

• Most hatching cost at least 40,000 gold, a more accurate range would be 40,000 - 52,000 gold pieces (depending on the pet's pedigree along with a few other factors).
  • The pet you used is not guarantee to be the same as the offspring, much like the one you hatched with is not guaranteed for the offspring as well.
  • Crowns only pets are harder to achieve through hatching than regular pets.
  • Creating a "perfect/ideal" pet requires a number of consistent hatching and pet raising; hence is a costly act.
  • Consider the stats of the pet you are hatching with as many talents are based on these exact stats (Power, Strength etc.) the offspring will have.

Now, with those guidelines out of the way, as a level 10, you don't necessarily have to focus on creating an ideal pet as of this moment, especially if you don't have the gold or pet snacks to fund the act.

But if you insists, here is what I recommend:

Pet Type - I recommend hatching with a death pet that can provide a essential spell for you such as deathblade, feint or even scarecrow.
Examples of such includes:

All the above pets are available through the Hatchmaker inside the Pet Pavilion.

Technique - As I mentioned above, the technique will require some amount of persistence, resources and patience. The idea here is to use your adult pet and hatch with a pet you intend to gain and copy it's stats. This is done by continuously using the offspring (raising to adult), then hatch the offspring with that pet again (raise to ancient, stop), then repeat.
Having multiple offsprings ensure that in the unlikely event, a pet fails at epic, or mega, etc. you have another pet you can hatch again as to avoid starting over.

The Resources - You'll need ample supplies of gold and pet snacks to fund this venture. Where do hatchers gain these items primarily? Through Gardening! As such, I encourage you to give it a try once you get to level 12.

There's more to the process, but this is the fundamentals I just wanted to introduce you to.

Post if you've further queries.

Good Luck!