Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

need help with deck building&using training points

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 23, 2015
Yet again another previous player enjoying the game for the nostalgia. I have little to no knowledge on building a deck, or how I'm supposed to spend my training points as a death student level 20. I know as a low level I don't have many options, however; I'd like to start somewhere. Also, I've been attempting to find videos online to help yet I keep hearing the word "towers" and other gibberish that seem important for continuing the game that I have no knowledge of. What school should be my secondary? Where do I start? And how do I learn more about different cards and building a good deck?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to the Message Boards!

Also, welcome back to the Spiral!

Now, there are a few ways in which you can use your training points. However, as a , here are my recommendations:

- Visit Niles, the Balance Tree in Krokosphix and learn Spiritual Traps. Return to him to learn the spiritual blades once you've met level requirements.

- I recommend learning Tower Shield from the Ice School if you think you'll need it. As a level 20 soloing and going through these worlds, it wouldn't hurt to at least have the spell trained.

- You'll meet this school once you begin your adventures in Celestia, you'll need a few training points to use here. For now, I'm just briefly highlighting you to it.

- Another important school you'll come across in Celestia, the sun school specializes in enchants. These are spells ( Strong ,Giant etc.) that can be used to increase the damage of your attacking spells just before using them in battle. It is a must for all wizards.

For now, you can use treasure card versions such as Tough to start enchanting your hits from now. You'll notice a considerable difference when attacking.

What I don't recommend:

- wizards has no business here unless you've separate intentions such as PvP etc. Most of your spells are drain spells rewarding you back with health and you even have your very own healing spell; sacrifice, making training in the life school practically useless.

Training a school until the end - Again, the purpose of your training points is to visit multiple schools/learn multiple spells that will be the most beneficial in complimenting your primary school.
Hence, there's no reason to learn a sequential order of spells all the way until level 42.

Deck

In terms of your deck, it is important to have a small, streamline deck that only focuses on ending battles quickly. I usually terms these decks the "Mob Deck" as this will be it's primary focus; to use against mobs.

Now, a few things you may want to bear in mind about these decks:

• Should be small - When I say "small," I don't mean the deck size/limit itself. I'm more so referring to the amount of cards inside the deck.
  • Cards used - The cards inside the deck should hence only be a few blades, traps in your case and attacks (banshee, vampire). The deck should be adjusted based on the foe facing. Example, if you're up against a death mob, use a few prisms.
  • Enchant your cards - Try exercising the method I mentioned above and use cards such as tough to enchant your spells before attacking.
  • No shields necessary - Your mob deck should have no form of defensive spells. Like I said, it's sole purpose it drawing the battle to a close as quickly as possible.

Boss Decks

• Alternatively, you can choose to have a slightly larger deck against bosses. Some bosses are just like mobs, only a few higher health and as such, the method above can easily be applied to said.
  • Others may need a few tweaks to the deck such as a shield or two or maybe a healing spell should things get a little sticky.

Regardless of the methods you choose to employ, it cannot be overemphasized enough the importance of having a small and streamline deck to aid in your questing.

Your deck should work with you and not against you.

Good Luck!

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
Disclaimer: Everything I say is an opinion and there is no "right" answer about how to build a deck

1 Spending training points: Something a lot of players do with training points is they invest in a second schools they have more spells, but the higher level you get the less useful any damaging spells from other schools will be and even at level 20 it starts to be less viable. what I would recommend is look for traps/wards that can be trained from other schools that you want. The 2 biggest ones are feint(you are death so you have this through your school) and tower shield(an ice spell that is a minus 50% damage ward that is very very useful for pvp) you can also invest in life school to get healing spells. Honestly I feel a secondary school for damaging spells is quite pointless because your gear and power pips really only benefit your main school.

2 deck Building: Once again this is up tp you without a right answer but for pve it is pretty standard. Build 2 decks and switch between them. 1 for boss fights and one for mob fights(just minions in streets or wherever). The boss deck if you are soloing should have buffs so that you can hit the boss for lots of damage, so blades traps auras to potentially one shot the boss, also pack heals and wards because bosses will do damage to you as well so you need to survive until you hit big. The mob deck should be based around doing enough damage to kill mobs without wasting time, so you shouldn't have many spells in it because there is nothing worse than having nothing useful in your hand pack blades and hit all spells because traps take too much time to place one on each minion.

Hope this helps-
-Nathan storm thief 130 85

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
k6ssidy on Feb 23, 2019 wrote:
Yet again another previous player enjoying the game for the nostalgia. I have little to no knowledge on building a deck, or how I'm supposed to spend my training points as a death student level 20. I know as a low level I don't have many options, however; I'd like to start somewhere. Also, I've been attempting to find videos online to help yet I keep hearing the word "towers" and other gibberish that seem important for continuing the game that I have no knowledge of. What school should be my secondary? Where do I start? And how do I learn more about different cards and building a good deck?
Welcome, K6ssidy!

You say you're a level 20 Death? Then you'd be best off learning spells from your own school for the moment, except for a few things which I'll get to in a moment. You'll particularly want to learn the Death Spells that leach health from your enemies, to help you survive. Also, always heed calls from teachers that involve learning spells. You may have to go through a couple quests and fight a hard boss, but if you see an icon in the quest rewards that looks like a hand of cards, then it gives a spell.

You might want to learn the School Shields from Sabrina Greenstar. Put the type of Shield against the matching school of the monster (For example, Fire Shields against Fire monsters), and it will reduce a lot of damage. Also try learning Tower Shield from Lydia Greyrose in the Ice School. I am certain that this is the "Tower" those people were talking about. It resists against ALL Schools, so it's handy to have.

I hope this helps!

Brian WaterSpear, Max level