Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Helper Realms

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Hi!

Erm...I made a topic about Helper Realms, and I have never seen it appear.
Just in case I hit the wrong button or it got lost in space, I thought I'd try it again.
Short and sweet this time!

Realms made simply for people to congregate in hopes of being helped.
I know people can hang out in existing realms and type "help me" in chat, but I also have seen people react negatively to that or make fun of them.

It would be nice if Realms existed just for people to go get some help with quests, a boss, whatever. Since that would be its purpose, everyone else there should be seeking or wanting to give help too.

Maybe one for lower levels, one for medium and one for higher levels?

What do you all think?

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
I believe the purpose of realms is so players are spread out and not put into one realm where lag or other things could potentially occur. I think the team kiosk in Olde Town or team up in general has greatly benefited people in need of help. I know I use team up very often. I don't think Helper Realms would be necessary because there are always people who are willing to help somewhere. I do agree with you that I have seen people react negatively when other wizards ask for help, but using the team up option or going to the kiosk in Olde Town seem like great options for those who need assistance.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Now this I can get into. I've been talking about this also but in a different form. I brought up a "teaching" kiosk, like the one used to "Team up". I like this idea better though. I'm a lvl 104 Fire wizard and I still have bunches of questions. This is a good idea.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Interesting,

But wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the Team-up Kiosk or the Teaming Up Option in front of sigils though?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Hmmm, I like this idea. The creator could invite any playing friends, and if they did, there would be a pop-up telling where each player was (For example "Justin RavenTamer is in Olde Town", or something like that) and their statistics (Justin RavenTamer is Level 78, ). In the pop-up there would also be an option to teleport to that friend. The option will notify you if the person is in a battle, and will be automatically declined if the person is in a gauntlet (a dungeon in which friends can't teleport in) or a non-repeatable instance.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Team up kiosk is only for specific battles.

This is more about being able to meet up and chat and choose your helpers.
Team up kiosk throws people together at random and they scatter to the winds (usually) right afterward.

People use the kiosk for different reasons including needing the battle, grinding for treasure, etc.

Meeting first in person or being able to schedule a future meet up *in a Helper Realm* (like some have tried to do on the boards here but it's difficult that way), the people can match their goals better.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
colocrys on Feb 17, 2019 wrote:
Now this I can get into. I've been talking about this also but in a different form. I brought up a "teaching" kiosk, like the one used to "Team up". I like this idea better though. I'm a lvl 104 Fire wizard and I still have bunches of questions. This is a good idea.
Thank you!

it increases the goal matching and the social aspect and gives a hopefully troll free place to meet Everyone there should have an intent of getting and/or giving help to/with others.

This way the trolls would stand out (not fit in - feel like leaving), and not the ones seeking help

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I recently mentioned the idea of the kiosk maybe having an extended feature for people looking for questing buddies. It could help people of similar level and in the same area to connect. IDK if this is similar to what you're imagining or not, but maybe they'd be compatible ideas even if they're not entirely the same?

I think it would be good for people to be able to find questing buddies more easily. Defaulting us to busy realms and the team up kiosk/function have been massively helpful tools and are really amazing imo, but I keep hearing of people wanting questing buddies and there is no simplified way to do this in game. As soon as someone is a little behind or ahead of you even changing realms it's too easy to miss each other...but many people are hoping to connect and a more centralised location/method would be awesome

PS. It's lovely to see you back on the forum, welcome back sparkly-lady!

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I think Laura and Sparkle are talking about different sides of the same coin. Teaming up is fine but most of the people who come to help don't want to hang out longer to instruct. They're mostly win the battle take off. Diego the duel master is a start but doesn't go nearly far enough. There's so much to learn in this game - little tidbits of knowledge about why certain pet talents are better than others. Often when a player asks "why can't I just......", and the answer by someone like Star Edward is "you can but......". We can't all snag a mentor. Here's one of the reasons this is a good idea. If another player agrees to help you choose gear and you go to the bazaar it's hard to talk. For instance, when I open the book and she's opened a book I can no longer see her. Whatever she's choosing for me I can't see and she has to type it. It's not like we're standing shoulder to shoulder looking in one book. Same for at the pet kiosk. KI wants us to socialize and help each other but sometimes it definitely takes some work. I'm with you Sparkle.

Sydney Skyblood lvl 104 Fire

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
These are all great ideas.

Yes, I don't think anyone is disagreeing as much as it's a different topic - the kiosk has its own very specific purpose and works very well for that purpose. I'm grateful it exists.

For reasons everyone has expressed it would be nice to have ways to find questing buddies or other buddies, or schedule a meet up or - best of all for me and maybe some others, too - have a fixed place people who want to give or get help hang out, so you can just drop in. A real hangout. But not like The Commons so anyone who was there to troll those looking to give or get help wouldn't feel welcome and would feel discouraged from trolling others.

Thank you so much Victoria and colocrys for the support, and thank you to everybody, for everyone's comments.

I hope people continue to contribute their thoughts and ideas.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
There's a meetup section at Wizard101central for exactly that purpose. You can ask for help with specific goals, or look for questing partners.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Prince of Shadows on Feb 20, 2019 wrote:
There's a meetup section at Wizard101central for exactly that purpose. You can ask for help with specific goals, or look for questing partners.
Yes and that is great, and it has some great helpers; but to be frank it's a lot of hassle and not fool proof. You still have to set a specific time and meet up in world etc.

I think a Helper's Realm would be easier in many ways for the helpers too not only for the help recipients.

There have been many times I have wanted to just while away some time by helping others and I wouldn't want to go and update a forum topic every few minutes to see if anyone needed my help, or it might only be help that is above my expertise.

But yes in the absence of another way that is one place people can go to look.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Feb 18, 2019 wrote:
Team up kiosk is only for specific battles.

This is more about being able to meet up and chat and choose your helpers.
Team up kiosk throws people together at random and they scatter to the winds (usually) right afterward.

People use the kiosk for different reasons including needing the battle, grinding for treasure, etc.

Meeting first in person or being able to schedule a future meet up *in a Helper Realm* (like some have tried to do on the boards here but it's difficult that way), the people can match their goals better.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!
Agreed that the Kiosk (although GREAT for its intended purpose) is limiting in that it does not provide for folks meeting up to go general questing together.

Scheduling meet-ups through these boards is a cumbersome task.

It would be nice to have a place where I can take my wizard to go see if people want or need help without standing out in the middle of the commons yelling, "Max Level Life Wizard, willing to help you now."

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Area51Alien on Feb 22, 2019 wrote:
Agreed that the Kiosk (although GREAT for its intended purpose) is limiting in that it does not provide for folks meeting up to go general questing together.

Scheduling meet-ups through these boards is a cumbersome task.

It would be nice to have a place where I can take my wizard to go see if people want or need help without standing out in the middle of the commons yelling, "Max Level Life Wizard, willing to help you now."

Steven Ghoststalker
Lol, maybe a badge? "Friend To All"? "Have Wand, Will Help"?
I'm against KI making extra realms to be specifically laid aside for different reasons. For example a separate realm for those being punished by muting or a realm for only high leveled members.

Do you think that having a separate realm would stop wizards who enjoy making fun of those who ask for help?
Wouldn't they just appear in that realm and hassle the players there?
If you want to get help with mob battles go to a busy realm and ask to join, I've done this and the answer was often "yes"!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 23, 2019 wrote:
Lol, maybe a badge? "Friend To All"? "Have Wand, Will Help"?
I'm against KI making extra realms to be specifically laid aside for different reasons. For example a separate realm for those being punished by muting or a realm for only high leveled members.

Do you think that having a separate realm would stop wizards who enjoy making fun of those who ask for help?
Wouldn't they just appear in that realm and hassle the players there?
If you want to get help with mob battles go to a busy realm and ask to join, I've done this and the answer was often "yes"!
A badge might be a good idea.

Sadly, no. Trolls will find a way to be a nuisance regardless.

It might just be my nature, but I seldom ask if I can join fights. Too polite I guess.

S Gs

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"Do you think that having a separate realm would stop wizards who enjoy making fun of those who ask for help?"

Yes, I do.

"Wouldn't they just appear in that realm and hassle the players there?"

They could try it, but they would be outnumbered. Bullies are cowards.

People who mock and harass those who want or need help are bullies.

Right now it's a cool kids club in the Commons. People are afraid to ask for help or to speak up.

I've tried shouting "will help" and it's like the kid who raises their hand during class or who offers to help someone with homework. That kid is seen as weird, teacher's pet, nerd, etc.

The idea is to encourage people to offer and to seek help, without feeling shy or embarrassed about it, and without standing out by doing so.
A badge won't be seen very far and people can turn off seeing other people's names. It's also a bit random and scattershot. Also if someone wants to wear a badge for another reason or wins a new badge and wears that, they might forget to wear the 'will help' badge anywhere.
That type of thing also would encourage one-time help or opportunistic type of help meets. The idea of a dedicated meeting place is anyone can go at any time and is guaranteed to meet like minded people.

If KI does not want to dedicate a realm (I frankly cannot see why not), how about a Helper's Hut.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"It would be nice to have a place where I can take my wizard to go see if people want or need help without standing out in the middle of the commons yelling, "Max Level Life Wizard, willing to help you now."

Eggs ak lee.

This is as much for those who want to spend time in the game helping others, as for those who wish help. I think it is harder to find people who want help (than to find help.) For whatever reason, people who want extended help with the game do not seem to just hang aimlessly around the Commons ;)

I'd like to renew my interest in actually playing the game, by helping lower level players...When I've tried to find them on my own by asking, it seems most are a bit awkward about why I'm asking or (hard to explain) some say "maybe another time," I don't want to foist myself onto anyone or have them feel weird about it. It's a bit awkward to go around asking "need any help?" I've tried that in the past.

But I know there are those who want help with the game and it would be nice to get them connected with such help, before they give up.

I began to feel a bit like a door to door salesperson trying to find anyone to help. Lol But I know they are out there, but mostly are shy or wondering equally how to find good helpers.
Also if there's a dedicated Helper place, of some sort, then people can begin to gather a reputation (for good or ill) on their helper tude. :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Feb 23, 2019 wrote:
A badge might be a good idea.

Sadly, no. Trolls will find a way to be a nuisance regardless.

It might just be my nature, but I seldom ask if I can join fights. Too polite I guess.

S Gs
"It might just be my nature, but I seldom ask if I can join fights. Too polite I guess."

I think that is good though...but, the other end of the spectrum are those who troll battle circles (run in just to add a monster, then leave), or who run in aimlessly, not even needing the battle, hoping for a prize or whatever.

A lot of people need help but are too shy to ask. They don't know what the response will be.