Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Prism and Trap activation order

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Currently, when prisms and traps are placed on a monster, they are activated in reverse order to which they were placed (i.e. the last ward placed is activated first) meaning that if I place a Fire Trap, then a Fire Prism, the Prism would be activated first and the trap will no longer be activated.
Does it not make sense to have first all traps of a certain type be activated, and only then a prism of the of the type, so that both orders of prisms and traps would work?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, you forgot to account for a scenario if you had an Ice Trap on a foe (such as using Elemental Trap).

I think this mechanic is in place so that if an ice trap was on the foe before the prism, then the ice trap would be activated, then convert that "ice damage" (by the Fire Prism); hence, it breaking it to "Fire Damage" thereby breaking the Fire Traps.

So, that is why the traps and converts works the way they do; it's to retain the 'mechanic' of the prism being used.

It gets even more complicated once a school shield is involved.

There are times when the shield (fire or snow) will be broken and times when the shield won't even be used.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
It makes sense since it sets the effects up in a chain, and the prism resolves at the point in the chain where it is placed. You can get around your problem with Fire Traps not being used by placing the Fire Trap after the Prism.

Furthermore, you can use up Ice Traps placed before the prism was placed.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
AFD247 on Feb 7, 2019 wrote:
Currently, when prisms and traps are placed on a monster, they are activated in reverse order to which they were placed (i.e. the last ward placed is activated first) meaning that if I place a Fire Trap, then a Fire Prism, the Prism would be activated first and the trap will no longer be activated.
Does it not make sense to have first all traps of a certain type be activated, and only then a prism of the of the type, so that both orders of prisms and traps would work?
Welcome, AFD247!

Yes, you will want to put your traps before your prism, if you want it to activate. If you want to get strategic, however, you can for example, place Ice traps before you place a Fire Prism, then put in your Fire traps. After the Prism is activated, the Ice traps will take effect, dealing extra damage! very handy if you`ve got the time and Treasure Cards.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Prism first.

One advantage of this is that monsters often shield against their opposite, so the sooner you prism, the better. If you were to trap first, then prism, they'd have another round to shield. As it is, you can prism first round, then stack as many of your school traps on as you want. An opposite school shield that goes on after the prism is ignored. It's helpful to carry Pierce TC, and/or an opposite school wand just in case.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Prince of Shadows on Feb 7, 2019 wrote:
Prism first.

One advantage of this is that monsters often shield against their opposite, so the sooner you prism, the better. If you were to trap first, then prism, they'd have another round to shield. As it is, you can prism first round, then stack as many of your school traps on as you want. An opposite school shield that goes on after the prism is ignored. It's helpful to carry Pierce TC, and/or an opposite school wand just in case.
in celestia, there is (maybe it's gone now) a bug that where it doesnt matter where the shield was placed, it will ALWAYS trigger. So, if I prism, trap, trap, then they shield against my prism, it SHOULD come off as shield first (since it was placed on most recently) and then traps and prisms, but how it ACTUALLY works is it traps, hits my prism, THEN hits the shield. I believe it's the sanibots/water matons that this happens on. it makes it really annoying. NORMALLY however, this wont happen.