Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Text chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2015
In this game I know you can get, "suggestive chat," but I haven't figured it out. if you have that you can type things like "u" instead of you. But the main thing is that you can type numbers. I would love if we were allowed to type numbers in normal chat. I can understand blocking out the inappropriate numbers, but I can't see the problem with typing a number like 23. I would be very thankful if this update were made.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
This one of those things that is prohibited not because of anyone at KI but because of COPPA

With the ability to type numbers, Chat can then be used to convince someone to divulge their age, address, or phone number.

All of which expressly forbidden by the COPPA act.

So, alas, in this instance KI's hands are tied.

Hope this helps
Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
sahbe on Jan 13, 2019 wrote:
In this game I know you can get, "suggestive chat," but I haven't figured it out. if you have that you can type things like "u" instead of you. But the main thing is that you can type numbers. I would love if we were allowed to type numbers in normal chat. I can understand blocking out the inappropriate numbers, but I can't see the problem with typing a number like 23. I would be very thankful if this update were made.
Hiya sahbe

I think what you're referring to is 'Open Chat'. This is reserved only for those who can verify they are over 18. The reason Text Chat won't allow numbers is because some people were misusing it so numbers had to be removed for child protection.

Now that numbers can only be written by circumventing the filters there can be no doubt to a child that they are not supposed to give out their phone number etc. The lengths children need to go to to give out personal info ensures that no child will forget it's against the rules. It also makes sanctioning an account an easier decision (many mutings of accounts are done to protect the child, rather than punish!) and also makes sure parents know that KI is doing what they can to protect their children while they're playing W101.

To get Open Chat we need to be over 18 and be able to verify this via a debit/credit card transaction. Unfortunately accounts that can not be age-verified (any account made when the player was under 13) can not access Open Chat privileges.

I hope this helps!

Survivor
Apr 09, 2016
sahbe on Jan 13, 2019 wrote:
Normal numbers are allowed to be typed now.

-Alicia Deathwraith

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
dodobird1702 on Jan 17, 2019 wrote:
Normal numbers are allowed to be typed now.

-Alicia Deathwraith
They're only allowed in 'Open Chat'. If a player has 'Text Chat' they can not write numbers. If you're able to write numbers then you have accessed Open Chat. Anyone with Text Chat will see dots when you use a number, only those who also have Open Chat will see the numbers you type.

EG
Open Chat: I need 17 mistwood
Text Chat will see: I need ... mistwood

Anything text chat users will see as dots comes up in yellow as we type into the chat box. White can be seen by everyone, red is banned and will be dots for everyone, yellow is dots for text chat users but shown to other open chat users

I hope this helps