Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please add a turn based pvp ranked mode

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 10, 2014
I think a turn based pvp ranked mode would help the game so much. I think that this would bring back a ton of old players, the summer when turn based came to tournaments a ton of old players came back to check it out, I met Ronan Dawn, a team member of the 2011 youtube 4v4 team, Team Perfect Catch. I also met Trevor rubycoin, that summer, he came back to check out the new pvp changes, both of them havent been online since then. The community seemed really excited about turn based, I know I was, but it seems like it has been forgotten. Please add a ranked mode for turn based, it could even be a different ranked queue for turn based. Many players including my self find it really annoying to go second, and continue to go second after 5 matches in a row. Times when I keep going second it makes me want to quit the game, one time I even logged out and took a break because I couldnt go first, and it wasnt fun, it was stressful losing so much rank and not ever knowing when I could go first again. Going second is extremely disadvantaging and at this point the game is just a battle of who can get first more, the person going first almost always wins if the skill levels are matched, unless the person going second gets lucky. The person going second has to worry about hitting into dispels, efreet, set shields while the person going first doesnt have to worry about any of those things. Miss predicting can cost the player going second the match especially with how fast paced the current max pvp meta is, one wrong move means game over.

Merry late Christmas!

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
I thought duels were already turn based

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
The so called turned base Pvp that was implemented is just a slower way of Pvp giving players more time to think and does not fixed first turn advantage nor does it help with damage overtime free shield remover turn spells.
And now that i really think of it overtime is a super advantage in Pvp and should be completely removed. A real turn base pvp would start both players off with 5 pips and second player gets a double turn shift it back to first player simple. Remove Dot from turn base games.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2012
Any form of turn-based combat in ranked pvp would greatly benefit the dueling experience. Going second is almost immediately a loss.

You need to stack two shields, in case the first gets destroyed this round, and he attacks the next.
You need to limit yourself to DoT spells mostly, since he could shield the very same round you attack.
You need to barely if ever use high pip spells, in case he dispels you the same round, making you fizzle and lose all your pips (this is rare but hurts you immensely when it happens).
Your attacks will always go after your opponent's. If you're both left at 200 health from previous attacks, and you both have enough pips to defeat the other, the first will always win. You can't shield, the attack would've already gone through. You can't attack, you would already lose the second he hits you.
Being second also means that you can't stun when you want to. First can always stun block before your stun and that could very easily cost you the game.

DoTs against you hit initial damage, +2 overtimes. That's insane. Burning Rampage hits you instantaneously. You can't react to it.

These are but few examples of unfairness, off the top of my head, where skill, gear or deck play no role in the outcome of the match, all of which happened to me pvping on the daily. There are so many others.
And they can all be, without exception, completely eradicated from ranked, if turn-based pvp would just be implemented.

I've not had a single complaint every Turn-based tournament I've entered. Every loss and every win felt deserved there. I had just as much opportunity as the other player to win. I could plan. I could react to what spells they cast.

The only things that turn-based pvp actually change are pip-affecting spells, like Lord of Winter, Mana Burn, etc. Lord of Winter or Mana Burn cast from first still allows second to cast their spell, even if they're missing the required pips. Turn-based would remove that, and make it so that you always lose your pips. This, I don't find particularly alarming though, since that's the point of those spells; reduce the enemy's threat. Normally, the only counter would be to cast the spell you want the same round, which isn't really reliable what with all the being second and all business (You have no guarantee first will cast mana burn or lord. He might just cast dispel and make you waste all your pips.)

Honestly, I personally really don't care if it replaces ranked or if it just supplements it, because I'm sure in either case every single person is going to pick turn-based without hesitation.

I very much doubt that it will be implemented however. It would require an update, something which KI doesn't frequently release. Even with all the pleas from numerous people with well thought-out arguments won't change a thing, and that saddens me.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Sebastian12205 on Mar 17, 2019 wrote:
Any form of turn-based combat in ranked pvp would greatly benefit the dueling experience. Going second is almost immediately a loss.

You need to stack two shields, in case the first gets destroyed this round, and he attacks the next.
You need to limit yourself to DoT spells mostly, since he could shield the very same round you attack.
You need to barely if ever use high pip spells, in case he dispels you the same round, making you fizzle and lose all your pips (this is rare but hurts you immensely when it happens).
Your attacks will always go after your opponent's. If you're both left at 200 health from previous attacks, and you both have enough pips to defeat the other, the first will always win. You can't shield, the attack would've already gone through. You can't attack, you would already lose the second he hits you.
Being second also means that you can't stun when you want to. First can always stun block before your stun and that could very easily cost you the game.

DoTs against you hit initial damage, +2 overtimes. That's insane. Burning Rampage hits you instantaneously. You can't react to it.

These are but few examples of unfairness, off the top of my head, where skill, gear or deck play no role in the outcome of the match, all of which happened to me pvping on the daily. There are so many others.
And they can all be, without exception, completely eradicated from ranked, if turn-based pvp would just be implemented.

I've not had a single complaint every Turn-based tournament I've entered. Every loss and every win felt deserved there. I had just as much opportunity as the other player to win. I could plan. I could react to what spells they cast.

The only things that turn-based pvp actually change are pip-affecting spells, like Lord of Winter, Mana Burn, etc. Lord of Winter or Mana Burn cast from first still allows second to cast their spell, even if they're missing the required pips. Turn-based would remove that, and make it so that you always lose your pips. This, I don't find particularly alarming though, since that's the point of those spells; reduce the enemy's threat. Normally, the only counter would be to cast the spell you want the same round, which isn't really reliable what with all the being second and all business (You have no guarantee first will cast mana burn or lord. He might just cast dispel and make you waste all your pips.)

Honestly, I personally really don't care if it replaces ranked or if it just supplements it, because I'm sure in either case every single person is going to pick turn-based without hesitation.

I very much doubt that it will be implemented however. It would require an update, something which KI doesn't frequently release. Even with all the pleas from numerous people with well thought-out arguments won't change a thing, and that saddens me.
That is very true which was an unintentional buff to balance wizard due to the fact that their isn't much counter play to mana burn. Balance right? i still think its just a slower way of actual pvp where as stated both do not attack on the same round but their is still little counter play to burning rampage or any dot spells of that sort.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
yes, I like this idea. I would also like it if they gave me more time to choose a card on my turn.
In tournament the time to choose a card is less in turn base than any of the other tournaments.