Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

More in depth Classic Mode

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
So as you can see, I'm a veteran player who has played since June 2010. A lot has changed since then and I'm liking the idea of the revamp. However, classic mode I think is missing some key elements that make it classic. Let me begin;
1. The revamped characters always remain. I'm liking the look of all of them but I think if I turn on Classic Mode I should see the original Merle Ambrose model and not the new one.
2. Same with enemies, if classic mode is turned on, I should instead see what the enemies originally looked like.
3. The menu should change accordance to whether classic mode is enabled or not. I'd like to see the original menu if I turn on classic mode.

Some more niche things which I think will improve the quality of classic mode.
1. Can we please have the original gift button? You know, when you enter a code and see the gift button? I prefer the original and I would think it's awesome to see the original.
2. Balder Goldpaws post-Grizzleheim speech should be in order whether classic mode is turned on or off. So I realized before the update Balder had his own speech (the one with the woman saying you must be level 20 to return to Grizzleheim). For some reason that speech gives me immense nostalgia and I would love to hear it again. I think after the update they changed the speech but recently got rid of it all together! I really hope they can bring back both speeches.

What else I think can improve classic mode would be to remaster the earlier spells and maybe the earlier houses. Perhaps items that were revamped in the update could also be switched on or off depending if classic mode is enabled or not. Doing these will completely satisfy veteran players like me and also give new players a chance to experience Wizard101 during its roots. Opinions?

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
james skullheart on Dec 20, 2018 wrote:
So as you can see, I'm a veteran player who has played since June 2010. A lot has changed since then and I'm liking the idea of the revamp. However, classic mode I think is missing some key elements that make it classic. Let me begin;
1. The revamped characters always remain. I'm liking the look of all of them but I think if I turn on Classic Mode I should see the original Merle Ambrose model and not the new one.
2. Same with enemies, if classic mode is turned on, I should instead see what the enemies originally looked like.
3. The menu should change accordance to whether classic mode is enabled or not. I'd like to see the original menu if I turn on classic mode.

Some more niche things which I think will improve the quality of classic mode.
1. Can we please have the original gift button? You know, when you enter a code and see the gift button? I prefer the original and I would think it's awesome to see the original.
2. Balder Goldpaws post-Grizzleheim speech should be in order whether classic mode is turned on or off. So I realized before the update Balder had his own speech (the one with the woman saying you must be level 20 to return to Grizzleheim). For some reason that speech gives me immense nostalgia and I would love to hear it again. I think after the update they changed the speech but recently got rid of it all together! I really hope they can bring back both speeches.

What else I think can improve classic mode would be to remaster the earlier spells and maybe the earlier houses. Perhaps items that were revamped in the update could also be switched on or off depending if classic mode is enabled or not. Doing these will completely satisfy veteran players like me and also give new players a chance to experience Wizard101 during its roots. Opinions?
You're missing that when you battle any mob in Wizard City, even with classic mode enabled, you hear the new Battle Theme and not the old one. Same for the Arena and the Wiz-themed Dungeons like Rattlebones.

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
Exabytes on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
You're missing that when you battle any mob in Wizard City, even with classic mode enabled, you hear the new Battle Theme and not the old one. Same for the Arena and the Wiz-themed Dungeons like Rattlebones.
As you stated, andI also remembered the original sounds before entering the dungeon. (Like when the counter goes from 2 to 0 and you hear the "dun"). It's still in Pirate101 but they removed it from Wizard101. We're making quite a list here.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
I feel this. I've been playing since October 2010, and it would be pretty nice to see old models instead of new ones. Another thing, I really hate how the new model for book stands (you know the book quests in each first arc world?) is in the un-updated worlds. It kind of stands out and I wish that it would be changed to use the old model in any world that is not Wizard City. The same thing goes for some other models in the game as well.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
that would be nice but you have to remember it is hard to add something that only one person or a group see the people that turn that one. because most things in the game everyone can see. and it is hard ( I think ) for them to add to drastic of a change to only a group of people.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
connorb1230 on Dec 30, 2018 wrote:
that would be nice but you have to remember it is hard to add something that only one person or a group see the people that turn that one. because most things in the game everyone can see. and it is hard ( I think ) for them to add to drastic of a change to only a group of people.
I think quite a few people want to see Classic Mode as it should be, and fixing it would make a lot of veterans of the game pleased (myself included). I don't think it would be that drastic to implement a lot of people's requests, in this thread and others, since most of those requests are just for things that were in the game before, and should be now. All the assets already exist and were implemented at one point, so I'd think it would be doable without a colossal amount of effort.

Replying to the original poster now .

All the suggestions in this thread are pretty great, but here's a few I think were missing:

• The original quest completion jingle would be great to have back with Classic Mode enabled.

• It would be amazing to have the original intro music play in character/selection during the cinematic. It's kind of iconic and having the changed version play irrespective of mode is a bit disappointing.

• It would be nice to see the original models/textures return to the character selection screen.

• Fix Bernie's green eyebrows. With Classic Mode enabled, the Fire Tree's eyebrows are an untextured green for some reason. I'm certain this is a bug, but it's been like this since the test realm so it would be best to mention it here.

• Removing the green grass tufts from the Commons with Classic Mode enabled would be a good idea. They weren't there originally and they don't really match the aesthetic of the older version of the area. They look pretty out of place, so maybe it's a bug? Even still, there isn't much of a reason for it to remain that way.

Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I think they'd be great changes to implement. Hopefully Kingsisle will hear us on this .

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
The BullTerrier on Dec 31, 2018 wrote:
I think quite a few people want to see Classic Mode as it should be, and fixing it would make a lot of veterans of the game pleased (myself included). I don't think it would be that drastic to implement a lot of people's requests, in this thread and others, since most of those requests are just for things that were in the game before, and should be now. All the assets already exist and were implemented at one point, so I'd think it would be doable without a colossal amount of effort.

Replying to the original poster now .

All the suggestions in this thread are pretty great, but here's a few I think were missing:

• The original quest completion jingle would be great to have back with Classic Mode enabled.

• It would be amazing to have the original intro music play in character/selection during the cinematic. It's kind of iconic and having the changed version play irrespective of mode is a bit disappointing.

• It would be nice to see the original models/textures return to the character selection screen.

• Fix Bernie's green eyebrows. With Classic Mode enabled, the Fire Tree's eyebrows are an untextured green for some reason. I'm certain this is a bug, but it's been like this since the test realm so it would be best to mention it here.

• Removing the green grass tufts from the Commons with Classic Mode enabled would be a good idea. They weren't there originally and they don't really match the aesthetic of the older version of the area. They look pretty out of place, so maybe it's a bug? Even still, there isn't much of a reason for it to remain that way.

Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I think they'd be great changes to implement. Hopefully Kingsisle will hear us on this .
I agree 100%. And you're right in that the assets already exist and shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Hopefully KI sees this and updates it, classic mode doesn't have it's appeal really.

Defender
Dec 30, 2011
Must I add that the updated jingle for completing a quest and the grass tufts were there since the Spring 2018 update.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
Cowan lifesong on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
Must I add that the updated jingle for completing a quest and the grass tufts were there since the Spring 2018 update.
True, but they weren't there for any of the years before, so having them in Classic Mode isn't really classic.

Defender
Dec 30, 2011
The BullTerrier on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
True, but they weren't there for any of the years before, so having them in Classic Mode isn't really classic.
The Commons mas a bit brighter in the Spring update, and that's what Classic Mode includes.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
Cowan lifesong on Jan 6, 2019 wrote:
The Commons mas a bit brighter in the Spring update, and that's what Classic Mode includes.
Also true, but could that really be considered classic? And as such should it really be the same in Classic Mode? I think those changes like the grass, lighting, and updated quest jingle were changes implemented in preparation for the revamp and I don't really think they fit under the Classic Mode umbrella for that reason.

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
I just found that Dragon Mouth Cave in Golem Court used to have a broken gate when you opened it. Now it's replaced with a brand new gate that never breaks. I hope they can correct those as well.
And I think the tutorial is different now? It would be amazing if they were to add the original tutorial.