Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gardening for fun instead of profit

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
Ok, so I have two characters who ended up with COMPLETELY different approaches to gardening.. *laugh*

My Necromancer lives in an old castle with a dragon in the basement, and owns the Red Barn land which he raises crops for profit. For that, he visits the barn very rarely since his plants won't die while he's away.

My LIFE mage, however, took a completely different tact! He insisted, in the back of my brain, that he wanted a lush garden to walk through for pleasure! He owns the Botanical Gardens as his home.... and has small plots of plants all over the place! Then he visits every day, sometimes more than once, to enjoy his home even if he has to spend extra energy taking care of his plants needs!

Of these two characters, I have a lot more fun gardening with my life mage than my necromancer. I find I LIKE walking him around his home and tending things. I find it soothing after a long day of work.

So while there is a definite benefit to being efficient at gardening, I think there is also a place to just have fun with your garden.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:
Ok, so I have two characters who ended up with COMPLETELY different approaches to gardening.. *laugh*

My Necromancer lives in an old castle with a dragon in the basement, and owns the Red Barn land which he raises crops for profit. For that, he visits the barn very rarely since his plants won't die while he's away.

My LIFE mage, however, took a completely different tact! He insisted, in the back of my brain, that he wanted a lush garden to walk through for pleasure! He owns the Botanical Gardens as his home.... and has small plots of plants all over the place! Then he visits every day, sometimes more than once, to enjoy his home even if he has to spend extra energy taking care of his plants needs!

Of these two characters, I have a lot more fun gardening with my life mage than my necromancer. I find I LIKE walking him around his home and tending things. I find it soothing after a long day of work.

So while there is a definite benefit to being efficient at gardening, I think there is also a place to just have fun with your garden.
I am crazy for my gardens and have made some ridiculous set ups to conserve energy and be ultra-efficient for snacks, gold, TC etc....but...I also have houses with plants for decoration, glitched plants just to look pretty and gardens just for fun too.

I can't resist ultra plants and ALWAYS use them up through planting, nurturing and eventually harvesting them. I do this on a lot of seed drops that don't give back the seed at the end eg I do Goose Trees just because I like seeing the little chicks! I literally don't know why I bother with these since I don't need anything they drop and I could watch a youtube video to see the cute chicks if I really wanted to....IDK why I enjoy seeing them so much that I can't bring myself to feed those seeds to pets!

I am definitely a fan of gardening!

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
For me, the ultra dandylion is the prettiest one I've gotten yet! I just wish I had rejuvinated it so I could keep it in my house. I'll have to wait for another one to drop.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Nov 24, 2018 wrote:
For me, the ultra dandylion is the prettiest one I've gotten yet! I just wish I had rejuvinated it so I could keep it in my house. I'll have to wait for another one to drop.
You could plant a load of dandelions to get ultra dandelion seeds from them

We can get them from the bazaar but if there are not enough for your plots you can always pop to Farley in Golem Court and buy more from him too. There is a chance of the Ultra Dandelion seed dropping from the elder harvest - it's only a chance so I'd plant lots to give a better chance and maybe even get more than one!

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
Woo hoo! I got my Ultra Dandylion! It is aging in my garden right now! You were right, I got it from my other Dandylions. I just had to plant a lot of them!

Heh, I am now redesigning my gardens. I'm going to plant my Stinkweed down on the basement of the conservatory (which I have wallpapered in Melinda's forest floor and walls.) My growing plants will go BEHIND the Conservatory in a walk through garden. I will begin moving my plants that I am particularly proud of to the area in front of the conservatory, which has it's own inventory (350 items for Conservatory, underground, and behind Conservatory. Then another 350 items for infront of Conservatory, including fishing lake, dueling circle, etc.)

I have discovered that if I am in the front, the plants in the back don't age/get pests. If I put my made young plants in the front yard then I can use my fishing pond without triggering pests/needs.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Nov 25, 2018 wrote:
Woo hoo! I got my Ultra Dandylion! It is aging in my garden right now! You were right, I got it from my other Dandylions. I just had to plant a lot of them!

Heh, I am now redesigning my gardens. I'm going to plant my Stinkweed down on the basement of the conservatory (which I have wallpapered in Melinda's forest floor and walls.) My growing plants will go BEHIND the Conservatory in a walk through garden. I will begin moving my plants that I am particularly proud of to the area in front of the conservatory, which has it's own inventory (350 items for Conservatory, underground, and behind Conservatory. Then another 350 items for infront of Conservatory, including fishing lake, dueling circle, etc.)

I have discovered that if I am in the front, the plants in the back don't age/get pests. If I put my made young plants in the front yard then I can use my fishing pond without triggering pests/needs.
Yeah, plants only trigger to the next stage or to update needs if we visit the area they are in. It's possible to leave gardens for ANY length of time without them wilting or dying as long as when we left the area they had no pests or needs!

If you log out from the area with plants it tricks the garden into thinking you are still there, so beware of that if you're not going to visit them promptly enough to avoid wilting...but conversly we can USE this to trigger plants to the next stage while we're offline if we know the plant times

Some people do 'elder harvesting', where they deliberately leave plants with a short mature-elder phase once they have done their second trigger. Knowning plant times helps a lot for this...actually, it helps ALL gardening! Here is a link to an AMAZING project Bugglesx made outlining plant growth times!

Any that take more than 4 days (mature - elder) do a mid-trigger to prevent regression back to the start of the mature phase. Sometimes regression happens by accident or through a glitch - it can happen regardless of the plant or whether they are stacked etc. It's a bit irritating when it happens but there is no known way of preventing it when it glitches back. I make sure I only visit garden areas if I have enough energy for needs or to replant them...which is plenty for needs if they regressed.

I recommend only harvesting elders when you can replant them immediately - this prevents full backpacks and keeps your plants in a growing phase or ready to harvest if double gardening comes on unexpectedly!

Talking of double gardening and also backpack space...if the seed is a CROWN seed harvesting it will a full backpack will dump the seed into your bank even if the bank is technically 'full'! You'll get the lost item message occasionally but it is about a like item (eg litter) not the crown seed...be careful to check it's a crown plant and note that ultra seeds do NOT overflow into a full bank, they'll be lost!

I hope this helps!

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
It helps a lot, but I do have a question. I have some Second Spring cards that are supposed to make an elder plant look like it is at it's prime until you harvest it. I tried using it on a plant I wanted to keep. I had the 50 energy, I left-clicked on the Second Spring card (which came in the Farley pack), then left clicked on the elder plant. The card vanished, I wasn't charged 50 energy, and the plant was harvested. Did I miss a step when I tried to use the card?

Thanks,

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Nov 28, 2018 wrote:
It helps a lot, but I do have a question. I have some Second Spring cards that are supposed to make an elder plant look like it is at it's prime until you harvest it. I tried using it on a plant I wanted to keep. I had the 50 energy, I left-clicked on the Second Spring card (which came in the Farley pack), then left clicked on the elder plant. The card vanished, I wasn't charged 50 energy, and the plant was harvested. Did I miss a step when I tried to use the card?

Thanks,
I'm not sure what happened when you tried to use the spell, but it sounds like something went wrong and it either glitched or a mistake was made...if it didn't use your energy but vanished it soulds like it was somehow deleted by accident...I'm sorry that happened to you!

The way Second Spring works is that we cast it on an elder plant and it makes it look mature again. It's great for decorating because we can permanently keep plants looking at their most beautiful. It's also helpful because anything that has had Second Spring applied to them gets a warning come up checking if we really want to harvest it. We have to confirm the harvest, which removes the risk of accidental harvest when we have something for decoration

Second Spring often comes up in the bazaar if you want to replace the lost one or buy more - you don't need to open more packs for it

I hope this helps! Happy gardening and decorating!

PS. From what you've said you did cast it correctly - just left click to select it then aim at the plant you want to use it on and left click.